Sorry I hit you (with my car (Hope You're Okay Reviews))

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Sorry I hit you (with my car (Hope You're Okay Reviews))

Post by Sober »

My song features Freddie Jones on trumpet. I borrowed drum mics from my work, and ran them through my mixer and all into one track. Yeah, that's me playing flute. Shut up.

It's nice to be back in the ring.
🤠
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Lyrics are here.

Don't forget to add your own!
Last edited by Plat on Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
djbsbkc
A New Player

yeah, tell me about it....

Post by djbsbkc »

yeah, mixing this thing was a bitch, let alone mastering... i simply didn't have enough time to finish it... mastering, admittedly is not my greatest strength with this one... taking heed of your suggestion, though... so many things going on, right? thanks!
Bouyakasha!
Big Up Youself!
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

let's see if i can do the whole damn fight in one go this time.

ants
standing alone, this is completely pointless, but it serves as a good intro track to the rest of the fight.

children of the devil
sounds like some really old sonic youth, or like stated earlier, something the pixies would've done. the rapping was definitely unexpected, and well-delivered. production seems a little shoddy, but compliments the style nicely.

c.layne
wow, my song is so quiet compared to the others so far. this has always been a problem for me, and i've still yet to find a way to fix it. this wasn't originally supposed to be a c.layne song, but i liked it so i used it for this songfight (and yes it was written this past week)

cow exchange
wow, this almost blew my speakers out after the last song. a decent song i suppose, but it's not grabbing me at all. sounds like some mid-90's radio rock.

deshead
i would really like to jump on the deshead bandwagon, but this stuff doesn't do anything for me. it wouldn't sound out of place on a christian radio station. the chorus is pleasant though, and almost rousing, but the verses are drab to me. i can tell there is talent here, but i guess it just doesn't float my boat.

DJ brownstar
a weird sonic mixture. not sure what to think about this actually. the mix is really muddy, and would benefit from a more polished production. definitely too long, and the random samples at the beginning seem pointless.

except after c
probably could benefit a bit from a higher bitrate. this is really bare bones, and i wouldn't mind hearing it with a full band. how it is now, with just strumming, it's kind of dull. do you have the means to play another guitar part over top of it or something? this needs some added flavor. i have a feeling i could like this song a lot more, so keep it up.

forty4
whoa, wtf is going on with the vocals cutting out like that? i wonder if that was intentional. if not, do something about it! if it is intentional, it's actually kind of interesting, don't do anything about it! ouch, then the horribly muddy loud shit kicks in. i WOULD enjoy it, if it didn't scare the shit out of me, and if it wasn't so muddy and muffled. however, i'm happy you're here and really look forward to hearing more from you, this is nice.

gareth duncan
good voice, bruddah. the guitar riff at the beginning is pretty cool, but during the verse and chorus parts it's pretty bland and cookie cutter. production is pretty solid for a song like this, except for maybe the drums could stand to be brought up in the mix a bit.

glenn case
it's really strange, i would associate you with liam lynch even if i didn't know you had any connection to him. your stuff always reminds me of his to some extent, although i think your songs are more complicated than his. great harmonies towards the end. all in all though, there's not enough going here to keep my attention. i guess i'm a beat whore. sounds great, though, and still sounds a lot better than 99% of the stuff around here. high five.

hedefine
very nice, chill groove. not big on the talking thing usually, but it fits well here. got a creepy back-alley feel to it. hrmmm.. i have nothing to critique here. this is cool.

hoosenbergler
.............. nintendo music. alien vocals. but you knew that already. i don't think i'll ever listen to this again.

messiah
dime a dozen guitar riff. pretty annoying vocals that would've fit well in a hair metal band. this isn't doing anything for me. sorry :'(

morbid morgan
the guitar that introduces the track is nice, but when the vocals come in, everything in the mix kind of sinks to the bottom. speaking of the vocals, they sound really out of place. maybe that's not fair, but i just hear them in TOP 40 country, without all the twang. you do have a really beautiful voice, though.

pipefist
what is up with the percussion?! i'm by no means a trustable source on what percussion to use, but i can tell you that what you chose isn't too good. lyrics are silly, and i like the pretty sparse guitar part. goddammit, though, that percussion is really distracting!! which is a shame, because everything else here seems good to me.

points for trying
this is the first PFT song i've heard in a longgggggg time. i actually haven't heard anything out of you sing the rap-off. i don't really have anything to say about the actual song. the production seems kind of... i don't know, the mix just seems off. i can't tell how though!!! UGH!

poor june
this is my second time through this track, and i'm really, really enjoying it. the chorus sounds great. who's the girl singing with you? or is that you too?! if it is, good job on sounding like a girl ;-). you should try and mix guitar and the piano sometime and see what you can cook up with that. this is one of my favorite PJ tunes ever. huzzah!

red skyhawk
oooooooooooooh! great sounding production!! everything sounds exactly where it should be. smoooooooth and smarmy. hell, i have nothing to say here, this is a killer chill-out track. wow.

r.mosquito
for some reason, i can't get enough of dancy rock lately. nobody can, apparently, with the sudden explosion of dancy rock bands, but you pull it off well. the vocals are a bit loud, and the whole mix is kind of dry. but this is definitely a fun track. yay!

ok, bye!
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

My song isn't in the playlist. :'(

EDIT: Spud says he fixed it, but the playlist is cached for me or whatever, so I don't know if it's actually there or not.
Last edited by Sober on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🤠
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

you had a song?! is it on the front page... i'mma check.

oh dammit.. yep, there it is. it's not in the playlist, but here's your review.

sober irishman
holy fuck, this has been a good fight!! this is going to be another one of my SF Fighter favorites, along with poor june and blah blah blah. but anyhow. no nitpicking to do here, everything i hear sounds great. the chill music benefits greatly from your growling vocal work. lots of instrumental ear candy. sweet, d000000000d. nice fluting, too. i'm pretty sure i'll always think the flute is the worst instrument in rock, but it is pleasing to my ears. sorry i missed you the first time.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

fluffy wrote:
Plat wrote:Lyrics are here.
<a href="http://uploads.ungrounded.net/190000/19 ... .swf">Eggs are here.</a>
:?:?what the fuck was that ??? :?

good set of songs here...
reviews to come later...
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Full of vitamins and minerals.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Ants Invisible
+++ Interesting. Bears repeating. I like the
first two horn/vocal harmonies +++
/// It's... um... short. Did anyone notice? ///
--- Gets chromatically disturbed in thos elast few notes ---

Children Of The Devil
+++ Could be an interesting silly rap +++
/// Sounds like your 13 yr old cousin used a Netfone headset. ///
--- Terrible chorus. Out of tune everything. Crap drums ---

C. Layne
+++ Nice rhythm. Good use of steel drum. Harmonies +++
/// Played out emo lyrics? ///
--- Out of tune chorus. Twice ---

Cow Exchange
+++ I was impressed and confused just reading the lyrics yesterday +++
/// Poppy. Says something of the Red team this week ///
--- Can''t stand that shitty melody at 'I C path across' ---

Deshead
+++ Voice and chorus much like J Robbins of Jawbox. Killer! +++
/// Poppy. ///
--- Ditch the pansy tambourine. Compress whole track. More drum. ---

DJ Brownstar and Ballon Knot Collective
+++ Early indications of sucking so I can scan ahead. Save time +++
--- Sucking ---

Except After C
+++ Fond memories of midnight acoustic closet recording sessions +++
/// Decent acoustic emo ///
--- Acoustic emo ---

Forty 4
+++ Beautiful pad sound with guitar. Surprise at 2:30 +++
/// Cheesy beat but it works! ///
--- Unfortunate singing choices ---

Gareth Duncan
+++ Live drums ? Authentic classic rock sound. "blemishes" +++
/// Not a spectacular singer either, but fun. ocatve jumping "OK" ///
--- So demo-ey... ---

Glenn Case
+++ Very sweet song, great verse melody. +++
/// Your voice doesn't quite suit the harmonies at 1:50 ///
--- Still feels like 2 1/2 minutes of verse. Chorus? ---

Hedefine
+++ Nice bass and drum groove. Distorted humming in chorus +++
/// Well I've never been big on voiceover, but at least it's rhythmic ///
--- Should have broken it up more. More sounds. Use the intro
EQ'd pieces. Cut it up a bit. It gets monotonous (boring?)---
Last edited by EightLeggedOedipus on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Hoosenbergler
+++ I like that bouncy bass coming in +++
/// Interesting melodies. In a good way ///
--- Cheesy piano and UK Homestar Runner Robot vocals ---

Me$$iah
--- You couldn't pay me to listen to this. Sorry ---

Morbid Morgan
--- Some animal survival instinct says "skip this" 10 seconds in ---
/// Ignoring said reflex, we find a nice chord progression in the
chorus, and decent vocals ///

Pipefist
+++ The lazy way to ghet dizzy. Spinning takes so much effort! +++
/// Claps ///
--- Um, the mixing prevents any further reviewing ---

Points For Trying
+++ Craig Wedren ish angular melodies +++
/// Might be a cool guitar part if the sound were better ///
--- Bass doesn't seem to match in the first verse. More emo-ness---

Poor June
+++ Nice piano comp. Angelic backing vocals in verses. +++
--- Main vocals are like Scott Stapp at 13 ---

Red Sky Hawk f/ Jill Bari
+++ Damn. Smooth Jazz stations better get ready. +++
/// Although it's sort of like bad Dido ///
--- What's with the nerdy distorted rock ballad guitar? ---

Mosquito
+++ Garage gothic NY disco-dance-punk. Doubletime phrasings +++
/// Cool guitar parts marred by sloppy playing. ///
--- Lacks a killer hook, but a little much to ask here ---

Sober Irishman
+++ Jazz drums. Piano flourishes. Nice crooner melodies. +++
/// Some occasional sloppy singing ///
--- Should have ended at 2:54 ---
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

c.layne wrote: poor june
this is my second time through this track, and i'm really, really enjoying it. the chorus sounds great. who's the girl singing with you? or is that you too?! if it is, good job on sounding like a girl ;-). you should try and mix guitar and the piano sometime and see what you can cook up with that. this is one of my favorite PJ tunes ever. huzzah!
yea all the vocals were me... glad you like it :-)
EightLeggedOedipus wrote:Poor June
+++ Nice piano comp. Angelic backing vocals in verses. +++
--- Main vocals are like Scott Stapp at 13 ---
thank you for most of that...
i still don't really understand the whole scott stapp comparisons i get alot... not really something i do on purpose
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:--- Ditch the pansy tambourine. Compress whole track. More drum. ---
FWIW, here's the mix I meant to submit (complete with pansy tambourine)
RedSkyHawk
A New Player
Instruments: Bass, Piano, Guitar, Trumpet
Recording Method: Ableton Live, PreSonus FireStudio
Submitting as: The Tarantists

Post by RedSkyHawk »

R. Mosquito (A) Ska? Dubbed Russian disco? I like it. Incredibly fun tune. Good sound. Creative AND enjoyable.

The Cow Exchange. (A) Too much of a good thing... Compression in this case. Lots of good energy though. Great melodic line and vocal tone. Impeccable musicianship. Cool ending. The real deal.

Deshead (B+) The drums lack a lot of bass. Great musicianship. I like the melody over the simple chord progression. Very well executed textbook rock song.

Glenn Case (B+) Nice tune. Kept simple. I like the #4 in the melody (B lydian). The vocal harmonies really fly. Great Chorus.

C. Layne (B+) The words at the beginning are pretty funny which wins me. I like the island vibe, which is successfully sustained through the second verse with the vocal harmonies. Good form too. Like the EP after the chorus. With a little more accuracy in the vocal line this tune could pass for the real thing.

The Sober Irishman (B) Impressive piano chops. I like the overall tone of the song. Something in the harmonic rhythm isn't right though. Can't pin in out. Maybe the piano and the guitar not playing the same chords sometimes. Great brush drumming. With all the great musicianship displayed throughout the tune (trumpet and flute) I think you could have done without the cheesy string solo.

Morbid Morgan (B) Cool intro and beat. The voice doesn't sit right in the mix. A low mid scoop will help. Cool ambient tune. A bit droning.

Gareth Duncan (B) Great energy and life from the start. Lacks bass. I like the vocal harmonies. Cool rock tune. It could use a breather some time toward the end.

Me$$iah (B-) Well performed and produced generic rock tune. I really like the slide guitar solo but not the tone of the voice.

Except after C (C+) A guy and a guitar. That's hard. You can't hide behind the band. Or distract the listener with gizmos. If you go for simple triad chord strumming, you are left with only your vocals to catch ears. Words, melody, tone. I guess you did OK with these.

Points for trying (C) Interesting vibe. The guitar with chorus + S/H filter is probably for something. Reasonably well recorded. Real bass and drums is a plus. Didn't really catch me.

Hedefine (C) That's a cool groove. Can't really evaluate the vocal performance. Rap is not my thing. Caught you pitching your voice at the at end.

Hoosenbergler (D+) Something out of South Park. It's fairly well done and maybe enjoyable if you're into that kind of stuff. I am not.

Children of the devil (D-) Clips often = painful. Not everybody in there is playing the same song. The spoken (rapped I guess) part is the most tolerable.

Fourty4 (D-) That's just too bad. It started very sweet if a little repetitive. Good verse with guitar, synth and all. And then the chorus ripped my head off. I can only hope this wasn't intentional. But the massive clipping makes that section unlistenable.

Pipefist (D-) The song is good. It's unfortunate that the timing is so off. I couldn't make it through the whole song.

Ants (D-) Look, they have commercials now in songfight.

DJ Brown Star (D-) This track doesn't relate to the title. Considering that the purpose of music is to suggest or even trigger emotion, this work is not a complete waste of time. I am left extremely restless which is an emotional state. But pain is the least challenging expression in music.

Poor June (D-) When the strings kick in we start to hear all kinds of b13 and #11 and b/#9, which can be so beautiful. Here they just sound off key. I am not going to comment on the vocals.

Red Skyhawk It's my first time collaborating with a singer. And what a singer Jill is. I loved making this thing up. A pop ballad stuck somewhere in an alternate past.
Morbid Morgan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Morbid Morgan »

RedSkyHawk wrote: Morbid Morgan (B) Cool intro and beat. The voice doesn't sit right in the mix. A low mid scoop will help. Cool ambient tune. A bit droning.
Hey man, I totally agree..what is a low mid scoop though? Thanks for the compliment.
DELETED

Good morning...

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

deshead wrote:
EightLeggedOedipus wrote:--- Ditch the pansy tambourine. Compress whole track. More drum. ---
FWIW, here's the mix I meant to submit (complete with pansy tambourine)
This mix gets my vote, tambourine notwithstanding. Congrats.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I AM THE REAL GLENN CASE.

I'm on my first listen through this fight, and I'm really chilling on the Glenn Case tune... beautiful... me and the wife just... yeah, chilled to it. This has great "vibe". So sparse, but .. well, your voice works for me, it's great. TOTAL CONTENDER. not much else to say, other than I loved it.

Followed by Hedefine.... whoa... that's a sweet groove. I'm not big on drum loops, but at least these are interesting. Spacey and trippy ...man, this tune back to back with Glenn's ... sweeeetttt. The thing is, at this length, the sameness of the groove is totally tolerable...it's not like they beat you over the head with it...the intro is well done. That's the HIP COLA mixing! I'd know that skill anywhere... I'm pretty sure I know who the singer is, and I'm totaaally confident that the bass player is me.

kay.... next up is Hoosenburger.... what the fuck?? That's awesomely bIZaarRE!! dANA's laughing, but I'm just dancing in my seat to it... it's also inspiring Dana to ...hahha!!! Just kidding...she's reading over my shoulder. Damn. It's over... (replay) Reminds Dana of "Get Back" ... reminds me of Zappa. I don't even understand this... in a befuddled way... so I'm probably gonna listen one more time... I want to play drums for you some time. I totally loved this. ANd I don't know wny....this is a good thing. Messiah is bringing the bar rock country...it's punk george strait! For me, the bass is too loud... I usually love loud bass, but this is just too much for my tastes. Maybe the drums are too quiet... might be that... weird fusion of country and punk. I like that concept....but I'm not feeling this particular arrangement. Things I like about it I like... but my overall impression is ok.

Jami Smith. At first I thought.. this sounds like it was done in more than a week... I really like all the talent I'm hearing, wicked singing and playing, but this is n't my "bag"...so I'm not freaking out about it. It is pretty excellent though. The overall vibe is too much like a Volvo commerical or something. Drum machines are boring.... well these are. For a one week songfight, this is really good. It is so super polished. I think the thing that's got me so confused is the "RockGuts with Lyrics" title... what is that about? Super polished, great production. I suppose you are a CONTENDER.

Pipefist.. dude, I can't enjoy this. I'm not programmed to enjoy drum parts that make not sense at all. Thing is, I know that you have already noted that... but.... pain....pain... nee...ok, it starts to wake up. IT's got a pretty good sound, and ideas, but it's ... not working.

Points for Trying... I like your vocals. I wish the bass was richer and more centered... I love the vibe and the sound of the band, but the mix..it's good but I'd redo it if I was you. Drums seem buried. This is all just my personal taste things though, I like the band, I bet you'd be fun to watch at a songfight show... I'm kindof envisioning a lizard like Weiland dude squriming on the stage floor in that middle bit... CONTENDER.

Poor June I'm enjoying that piano... and the personality it has. Some of the singing doesn't do it for me. The most significant thing for me is how much better you get. I love hearing that... which maybe reads a little ...paterinal or something... but how paternal can it be if I can't even spell the damn word right? well, this is my opinionl, and you are starting to develop a cool style, so it's ok.

Redskyhawk... another wicked female singer. Cool drums. This is the kind of thing you stumble on while on vacation...sitting in a little upstairs pub, band crammed on a tiny stage, three people in the crowd, and they start this tune... and you're all like... hh.mmmm....WHAT THE?? ...wicked. I'm so grateful for the excellent heavy guitar in the ...chorus? Vocals sometimes have a Cher like thing going on... something about it reminds me of music school, the fusion slant to the key board lines have a Chick Corea/Duran Duran thingy...pretty good. From a style point of view, It was just ok, but that's me.

R. Mosquito. This is a style that I totally love. Man, I like that groove. It's like fun ska...oh NICE shift man... nice. This rocks. I honestly don't really like the tone of the lead guitar, but big deal. I love this song. IT's a CONTENDER.

Sober Irishman... that intro was excellent. There is something creepy about this... at first I had a bit of a time getting into it... now that I am, this is cool. The flute (?) solo is pretty good... I like the groove and the whole idea of it and the jazzy sections. Sometimes a fallen note here and there stick out simply cause the context of the style begs that kind of listening from me... jazz has higher expectations... which is fine, I often fail to meet them anyway, so who am I to type? There's so much cool stuff here.. it's like being at a musical. I think it's just too slow and long for me, but I dig all the ideas, talent, etc.

Ants (Invisible): Jesus Christ Superstar will be ending shortly...

Children of the Devil... I didn't like it til the rap came in ... then it was pretty fun, and the goofy stuff after then just sounded totally cool... then I got into the tune. It's ok.

C. Layne I don't get off on those steel drums, but the groove after is cool. Sometimes the singing seems disonant to me. I'm liking the sound, I like the singing, except when the odd disonance occurs. The guitar is great. Man, maybe it's just me, but if you mixed those bits, this would be on my contender's list, cause as it develops, I'm really getting into that feel, and that lead is great...whoops.. mostly great. Basically sounds like you didn't have enough time. I like it.

The Cow Exchange I know this is good, and I'm liking the vibe, but now my ears are getting worn out... I need a break...big fight, so I'll have to finish the last few songs tommorrow...
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

thanks leaf. for the kind words. and the avatar. and the bass. :)

thanks THC!
Hi!
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

Leaf wrote: Poor June I'm enjoying that piano... and the personality it has. Some of the singing doesn't do it for me. The most significant thing for me is how much better you get. I love hearing that... which maybe reads a little ...paterinal or something... but how paternal can it be if I can't even spell the damn word right? well, this is my opinionl, and you are starting to develop a cool style, so it's ok.
thank you :-) hopefully someday i can make you proud
wished my stuff was fuller... wished my voice was more stable...
and all that good stuff... but thank you... i appreciate that...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>