$2.50, same as in town (what kind of love reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
JonPorobil
Gemini
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: $2.50, same as in town (what kind of love reviews)

Post by JonPorobil »

Short reviews, because I'm bored. I normally try to be really thoughtful, but these probably won't be helpful.

Ross - Feels a little tossed-off. I'm turning into a piano snob, because all I can think of is how fake yours sounds. Well-played, though. Might have been better if it had been a little faster.

Mister Man - That guitar sounds too thin, the violin is out of tune, the bass is too loud, and overall this song might have been saved by better mixing, but would it have been worth it?

Weakest Suit - Who needs more than four chords? I usually like your full-band stuff better, but this is alright. Wish the vocals were a little tighter.

Longfellow Street - Promising intro, though the hi-hat in my right ear is distracting until the rest of the song kicks in. Great vocals and harmonies. Sexy and fun. I'm voting for this.

Jan Krueger - Really great textures. They combine with your awesome vocals just perfectly. Reminds me of Cat Stevens. I'm voting for this too.

Country Martyrs - This song sucks.

James Owens - The verse is waay too "Rio," with its 80s synths and augmented chords. You treated your voice too much. The organic treatment might have worked better. Didn't you used to do mostly acoustic stuff?

Signboy - Tag your stuff, dude. Sounds really fdrink, but that's the point, isn't it? The chorus makes it sound like an Irish drinking song. Yeah, might as well vote for this.

Jeff DeSantis - Is your album really called Jeff DeSantis's Album? Heh. I dig almost everything about this. Great vocal performance. Nice shuffle beat. Voting for it.

Bad Catholic Schoolgirls - Aw, hell no.

Nobody, et al. - Not bad, for guy-and-guitar. Well-played guitar. The singing is unambitious but hits the mark. This is solid B material. Runs a little long, but I'm voting for it anyway.

Jeremy Dean Band - For the record, I think you had the fight stolen from you last week. This one has that studio sheen, but it makes me go "So what?" reaction in me. I don't care, and you don't make me care. Runs too long, too.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Tue May 25, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Ross
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Rone wrote:think you forgot someone
As I recall you requested that we not review you if we did not listen to your whole song.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
j$
Gemini
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

AwesomeGorgeous wrote:
j$ wrote: doesn't understand why you can't take 'no' for an answer.
I thought she understood; it's not rape if I yell "Suprise!" first.
I thought you understood that my reply had more than one level of meaning to it. Sadly, no.
AJOwens
Grok
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Post by AJOwens »

Generic wrote:
James Owens - The verse is waay too "Rio," with its 80s synths and augmented chords. You treated your voice too much. The organic treatment might have worked better. Didn't you used to do mostly acoustic stuff?
I do all kinds of stuff, but only in January did I start using VST plugins. Still getting used to them. That said, I've mangled the vocal processing in the past, but with effects pedals; Nothing Is Everything comes to mind. I think I blew the processing on the upcoming track too. With everyone's patient help, I may or may not learn.

Several reviewers have remarked that the song got a bit boring and needed a "breakdown," or as Ross put it in terms an old fart like me can grasp, a change of arrangement. Hell, I noted it myself. It''s now higher on my to-do list before submitting a track.

Thanks to everyone for the reviews. I will add that, if someone craves reviews, it shows that they really do care what people think -- even if they seem congenitally incapable of doing anything about it.
longfellowstreet
Llama
Instruments: Acoustic guitar, elect gtr, elec bass, upright elec bass, ukelele, whatever else...
Recording Method: Logic, Mackie Onyx 1640i, Røde, AKG, AT, Shure mics.
Submitting as: Longfellow Street

Post by longfellowstreet »

Longfellow Street - Promising intro, though the hi-hat in my right ear is distracting
Sorry 'bout that, should have rolled a bunch more high off it, maybe backed it off in volume, too. Grrr - I lost a lot of high-frequency perception in my right ear due to a stupid stupid stupid accident when I was 25. Tinnitus now. Yay. I usually flip the stereo image back and forth when I am mixing/mastering, but forgot on this one. My apologies. Also, it's a cabasa, holding it in my hand and going "scrape-scrape". I love those things. Not gonna pay my local music store $45 for one, though. Eek.
jeremydeanband
A New Player
Instruments: guitar/vocal
Recording Method: alesis multimix 16 2.0 cubase le4
Submitting as: Jeremy Dean

Post by jeremydeanband »

the song "is" way to long. when i re record it i want to bring it down to 3minutes or so. also used too much compression on the vocal and was rite on the mic like i would be live..... live and learn.
jeremydeanband
A New Player

Post by jeremydeanband »

not sure how to reply to a specific post, im new at posting
jast
Grok
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

jeremydeanband wrote:not sure how to reply to a specific post, im new at posting
See the "quote" button at the top right of each post? Use that. Feel free to trim down the quote you see in the editor afterwards (the part between
something wrote: and
).
floatingman
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Heart
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Dan The Man Band

Post by floatingman »

There seems to be a lot of hate brewing around in this thread and I thought music was all about the love, especially this challenge. I have to admit Country Martyr's song is not my cup of tea, but you might say the same for John Cage's 4'33". To me, music all about personal expression and it doesn't have to always be serious. Then again, that's just my opinion and I have been accused, by an ex-girlfriend, of not liking serious musicians like Tim McGraw.

All in all, I think everyone made great efforts.
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
http://soundcloud.com/floatingman
http://www.myspace.com/dwnewman
jeremydeanband
A New Player

Post by jeremydeanband »

See the "quote" button at the top right of each post? Use that. Feel free to trim down the quote you see in the editor afterwards (the part between (quote=something) and (/quote)).
thanks! :0)

fixed -spud
jast
Grok
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Well, you almost got it right now. The (quote) needs to match up with a (/quote), though. In exactly that order. It's a bit tricky, I guess, especially if there's already a (quote) thing in the thing you're quoting.

(I used round instead of square brackets here to prevent the software from thinking that I was quoting anybody...)

@floatingman: there's a lot of history involved in that particular side discussion. It's an interesting read... well, it's a read if you have absolutely nothing worthwhile to do.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Ross wrote:
Rone wrote:think you forgot someone
As I recall you requested that we not review you if we did not listen to your whole song.
So I get to explain to my best friend Rich a SECOND time why a SF'er is taking a song that me AND him put together and instead of grading it as a Country Martyrs song, he has to be lumped into a personal grudge. Thanks. I'm sure he'll be MORE than happy to collab on further songs. :roll:
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
AwesomeGorgeous
A New Player
Submitting as: Bad Catholic Schoolgirls

Post by AwesomeGorgeous »

floatingman wrote:There seems to be a lot of hate brewing around in this thread
is there? if that has to do with my previous comments, i assure you they were mostly in jest. ;) that said, i can't even fucking believe our song got the second-most votes. did i read that right? i'm sure nobody else can either..
Spud
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Rone Rivendale wrote: So I get to explain to my best friend Rich a SECOND time why a SF'er is taking a song that me AND him put together and instead of grading it as a Country Martyrs song, he has to be lumped into a personal grudge. Thanks. I'm sure he'll be MORE than happy to collab on further songs. :roll:
OK, so you tricked me into listening to your "song" with all the fussing. I must say that the song is completely bad all on its own, even with no history behind it. I did not make it all the way through either. The line "How much pain must I endure" hit its mark, and I pressed STOP. How did this get three votes? I thought there were only two of you. Maybe your friend should try his hand at the vocals. Couldn't be much worse...
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Spud wrote: How did this get three votes? I thought there were only two of you. Maybe your friend should try his hand at the vocals. Couldn't be much worse...
Just one vote from us. Rich doesn't have access to the net.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Ross
DALL-E
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

I have edited my reviews to include Country Martyrs.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com