Jane's Not Addicted (The Wrong Girl Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Jane's Not Addicted (The Wrong Girl Reviews)

Post by Andy Balham »

From the looks of the lyric archive, WreckdoM are dangerously close to entering a song. I do hope not.

Let the battle of the minstrels commence!
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
feldspar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Mostly gin

Post by feldspar »

First reviews! I am once again the best at the internet!

<b>Andy Balham</b>: The first five seconds of this vaugely reminded me of 'Less Than Two' by Steve Burns. Anyway. Uh. This is okay. Nothing special, but not bad either. Some rhythm problems. The guitar is nice at some parts and bad at others. Same thing for your voice. Sometimes nice, sometimes not nice. <b>[okay]</b>

<b>Ants (Invisible)</b>: I like this a lot. <b>[good]</b>

<b>Bacon Master</b>: Guitar tone is pretty dull. Vocals are way too far back in the mix. That's good, though, since your voice is not very good and your lyrics sound pretty awful. <b>[bad]</b>

<b>The BeWells</b>: Heck yeah! Guitar is excellent. The guitar tone is just perfect. I'd kill to get a sound like that. I would literally murder a human being to get my recordings to sound like this. Your voice is pretty good, too. I like the chorus especially. Lyrics are kind of sugary at times, and it kind of made me ill for a second, but I got over that really quickly. Beautiful song. <b>[good]</b>

<b>Eight Legged Oedipus</b>: That sample at the beginning is kind of jarring. The whole instrumentation to this is too jarring. I can't make out the vocals at all. The lyrics are a great read, but I can't <i>hear</i> them at all. This is just noise. Are you sure you submitted the right file? <b>[bad]</b>

<b>Freddielove</b>: This is pretty good. I don't like your voice too much but I can get over that. Nice guitar, nice percussion, and great lyrics. <b>[good]</b>

<b>Hoosenbergler</b>: I'm a little apprehensive because this sounds like it's gonna be an annoying noisy waste of time. Oh, and it is. It's kind of okay, but not in the sense that it's any good. Though this would be good if it were more of a song and less of a noise piece. Ditch the noise, get yourself some instruments and a singer, and then try again. <b>[bad]</b>

<b>Jack Shite</b>: The guitar is pretty great. Your voice is really bland and monotone and that kind of turns me off to this. <b>[okay]</b>

<b>Lonbobby</b>: This sounds pretty good. The piano and everything is great. It's well-written, too. But the autotuned vocals are just grating. If you had recorded a <i>real</i> vocal take on top of it, or eased off a lot on the autotune, then this would be good. <b>[okay]</b>

<b>Magnetbox</b>: Maybe it's my speakers, I don't know. But I just can't hear the vocals on like any of the songs this week. This one included. Guitar is great, everything sounds good, but I just can't hear what you're singing at all. <b>[okay]</b>

<b>Max the Cat</b>: You make annoying techno noise sound good. I like that. And this song is very good. Vocals are very well done. I wouldn't mind if the techno noises were a little less abrasive, though. <b>[good]</b>

<b>Onion Patrol</b>: Loud guitar. Muddled vocals. That seems to be a recurring theme with this week's songs. Sing a lot louder and a lot more clearly or turn the guitar down a lot. This would be good if I could hear anything. <b>[okay]</b>

<b>Pipe Fist</b>: I love the way this builds. This is pretty good. Kind of disjointed, though. Your random vocal inflection is fun. You have some pretty nice sounds in there, too. Congrats on hitting those high notes like that. The scat solo was fun for a while. But it's also like, what the fuck? <b>[good]</b>

<b>PISTOLERO</b>: Songs that start with extended movie samples always make me uneasy. When the soothing techno kicks in I feel more at ease. But then when it goes on for a while without lyrics and with more movie samples, I get uneasy again. And at around 1:30, when I realize that this is probably a boring repetitive techno instrumental, I get kind of pissed off and stop listening.

<b>Prepubescent Canada</b>: That's some of the suckiest beatboxing I've heard all day. <b>[very very very bad]</b>

<b>Song Fight Orchestra</b>: <i>why are you whispering?</i> <b>[bad]</b>

<b>WreckdoM</b>: Your lyrics this week actually do not make me hate life. But your actual song <i>sounds</i> kind of like... well... Last week, I accidentally cut a pretty deep gash in my thumb with a knife at work. It really hurt and it bled for a half-hour. This song is the audio equivalent of that. Nice lyrics, though. And there's some okay guitar buried in there somewhere. Points for trying. <b>[bad]</b>

My favorites are Ants (Invisible), BeWells, and Max the Cat.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

JoS: woohoo! love it! great start.
Hi!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Thanks, Jack!

Sheesh, Song Fight is good for my ego.... write a 30 second song and get praise. What more could you want?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Hey Jim,

Thought it had to be under 30 secs?! By the way I have to concur to Jack. Awesome. Nice to leave me with that kind of music. It's juice in it to possibly induce a vote. 8) By the way do I riff off of the chords or the drums?

;p
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

One Liner Reviews

Post by tonetripper »

Andy Balham - Good tones, though the pitch in the vocals is just so bad sometimes, and not in a personality driven way, it makes my mouse hand go to the skip button.

Ants (invisible) - I can get down with this if only for .....

Bacon Master - Fade this out at 30 seconds or so and this would be an ultra cool, f#$% you kind of piece in a filler for record kind of way, but as it is it gets pretty long in the tooth. :P

The BeWells - This is so beige in a Gordon Lightfoot meets a K-mart Gold frame (Freudian :wink: ) kind of sentiment that I almost want to hit skip button but the production, especially that e-bow pad/solo, is so lush and well done it might get my vote.

Eight-Legged Oedipus - This rules in it's sample heaven meets Jane's kind of way it might just make me save it and make me hit that vote button.

Freddie Love - I feel like I'm on the beach in Mexico staring out at the mid-day ocean drinking cold margheritas out of a plastic cup dwelling on my last night's adventure in some unremembered bar in Play del Carmen. 8)

Hoosenbergler - Carnival zaniness in a Sound of Music chorus kind of way that I feel like there could be only one SFer I know who could be the Hoosenbergler. 8)

Jack Shite - Sitting by the Chevy that just broke down in that deserted one-horse town waiting to thumb it so the preacher doesn't send you to hell for buggering his daughter. 8)

Lonbobby - This is sad in it's techno-chordal movement with the tabla and vocoder that it really makes me feel the title. 8)

Magnetbox - Has a sort of Lou Reed feel with the low spoken type of vocals with some good tone, especially the lead stuff, but has me bored shortly through it and the chorus is kind of lame especially with the that "ya" moment after the repeat of the title.

Max the Cat - Clever in it's usage of the contrasting notation of the guitar line with the bass mixed with the vocals that this really stands out for the title and I think I have to listen a couple of times more to really just get the jist of it. 8)

Onion Patrol - Kinda cool but I felt the voice could have went farther than it did.

Pipefist - In a Jeff Buckley crossed over with techno-licious grooves this stands out as one of the hookiness tunes for the title especially with that "Why do I want the Wrong Girl/I tell myself a little longer" chorus although the skatted middle seems a little forced self-indulgence instead of aiming to be jazzy (maybe that should have been strictly a musical moment sans vocals) and may be it's undoing. 8)

Weldele - Cool piece to hang onto if not until the standard sample moments hit and then smash me over the head with the concept 'til I get it like I just walked out of the womb but it is pretty darn hooky especially with that keyboard line. 8)

Prepubescent Canada - Nice for a performance art fart piece but I think it would have been better if you reversed the whole wave and put some reverb on it and then it would have been perfect for your dedication. :evil:

Songfight Orchestra - Sitting in the couch staring out at the drenched window, empty, drowning in thoughts that have no right to be there. 8)

Wreckdom - That chorus may be one of the catchiest numbers you guys have ever done and the lyrics rule..... hahahaha...... but the digital distortion sucks cuz I know you didn't mean to do it! :lol:

Thanks for the music.

;p
poprocks
A New Player

Post by poprocks »

Andy Belham - poorly recorded vocals. snooze.

Ants Invisible - clever. Very clever. makes me smile. Thank you.

Bacon Master - poor vocal quality. you sound drunk. I think that the original concept had potential to be funny, but was very poorly executed.

The BeWells - I like the guitar, and the vocals too... It's a little too mellow for my taste, but all in all well done. Kudos.

Freddie Love - I wish I could like this song. the lyrics are wonderful. probably the best this week. but the timing gets a little off at the end. and WHY oh why did you record this as a lounge song??

Hoosenbergler - This is the song I find myself liking in spite of myself. It makes me laugh. A much needed laugh. Again, Thank you.

Eight Legged Octopus - I like the rhythm... I wish i could distinguish what you're saying a little better, but the rhythm is AWESOME. I'm totally dancing in my room right now.

Jack Shite - your vocals are off tune and off timing. sounds amaturish.

Lon Bobby - nice tabla. I agree with feldspar... the autotuned vocals are slightly grating and make it difficult to hear what you are saying. However the music is very very good.

Magnet Box - vocals are awful. far too staccato sounding. and I can't hear what you are saying. guitar is pretty good though.

Max the Cat - LOVE the lyrics. This is at the level of a marketable song. I feel that the electronic stuff at the very beginning is kinda grating... but once the lyrics start, I'm hooked. Very very good.

Onion Patrol - vocals are too low. genital warts? almost as bad as Bacon Master's penis.

Pipe Fist - I think you go overboard with the panning in the beginnging. It gives me a headache. i like the scatting. you have an incredible voice. The timing is off towards the end of the last verse. Try not to hold notes in the future... it doesn't suit your voice (you slide between notes). but, in general your voice is amazing.

Pistolero - How long did it take you to sample all these movie clips? I think this is actually a marketable song as well... suitable for use as background musing in an Urban Outfitters shop. I'm not quite sure if that's a complement.

Prepubescent Canada - amazingly bad. I feel like you were intentionally trying to make the worst song ever. In which case you succeeded. Oh my god... what the hell were you smoking when you recorded this?

Songfight Orchestra - I'm sorry... whispering does not make this song cool.

WreckdoM - Okay this song sucks. you need therapy.

my picks this week:
1. Max the Cat
2. LonBobby
3. Ants
4. Eight Legged Octopus
5. The BeWells
6. Pipe Fist
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
PipeFist
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by PipeFist »

Yeah, the scat recording was really bad. I kept doing really awesome scat while I was listening to an earlier demo recording we'd done before that! I really wanted to do it. But it looks like scat just isn't my thing.

Otherwise, thanks for the good comments. I wanted to try something new, and it looks like it turned out alright.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

tonetripper wrote:Hey Jim,

Thought it had to be under 30 secs?! By the way I have to concur to Jack. Awesome. Nice to leave me with that kind of music. It's juice in it to possibly induce a vote. 8) By the way do I riff off of the chords or the drums?

;p
I know, it's over 30 seconds. It was originally only about 20 seconds, but then when I realized it was the opening bars of this potentially big long thing, I cut and pasted the instrumentals to the beginning so that it would sound something like an introduction. And anyway, it's only like 38 seconds or something, isn't it? I'm not going to go postal if you're a TAD over 30 seconds...

To answer your question: Yes. Go off whatever you like. Try to make it sound like the next part of the song rather than a new song, that's all. Have fun!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Magnetbox
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Magnetbox »

ok, here goes my attempt at a critique of the songs. (Man! There are a lot of them here) I'm using a "C" to represent an "average" song, so a score of a "C" really isn't bad. Standard disclaimer: The critiques here represent my opinion, which doesn't carry much weight anyway, and are not to be taken personally. They most certainly should not be taken to any kind of real-live talented person who works in the recording and/or music industry because they'll probably laugh.

Andy Balham: Good intro. I like the guitar playing in this. There's something with the vocals I don't like at first, though. Gets better for the chorus. The guitar solo is kind of basic, but works for the song. I'd probably make the solo a bit higher (Up an octave?). I do really like the bridge. I'll give this a B

Ants (invisible): Huh? I just missed it. I'll give this a C

Bacon Master: Really quiet. The music sets an interesting mood, but I'm not quite sure it works with the lyrics. I'd expect the song to be more about some guy named Eugene chopping someone to pieces with an axe. All that reverb on the guitar! The singing just doesn't work for me, though. I give it a D+

The BeWells: I love the guitar tone--excellent!! The singing fits really well with this. All of the instruments just fit together really well. The singing and guitar kind of reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel. OK, I think the synth/wind instrument/whatever in the middle doesn't fit. Personally, I think it would work so much better without it. I give this one an A

Eight Legged Oedipus: I think there are vocals that are completely covered up by the loops, but I'm not sure. I think I'm going to lose the cone on my subwoofer trying to make them out. This might be what you were going for, but it doesn't do anything for me. I'm going to give it a C

Freddielove: The guitar seems ok--not quite bad, but not all that good. I kind of like what you're trying to do with the vocals here, but it doesn't just jump out as being great. I think I'll give this a B-

Hoosenbergler: Reminds me of the Muppet Show. Whatever was done to the vocals sounds awful. The whole song just seems too busy--I can't make anything out. I give it a D

Jack Shite: The guitar sounds pretty good, but did I hear some digital clipping in it? I like the song musically. It has a good beat. I'm going to give this one a solid B

Lonbobby: Is this an Antares AutoTune on the vocals? Turn down the "speed" setting on it, it sounds like the "Cher effect." It has a kind of techno groove, but some piano playing with it... I'm not sure how I feel about that fitting together. I'm going to go with a C-

Magnetbox: I'm not really going to critique my own song. Yes, the chorus is kind of cliche--I was going for some standard rock, but with a different theme so wanted it to be very basic. I was trying to get the vocals EQ'd in just right tobring them out instead of just pumping up the volume, but didn't really come all that close. Maybe next time.

Max the Cat: I don't care much for the double-tracking on the vocals, it sounds kind of fake to me. Not really my style of music, but I like the dialog at the ending. I'll give this a B

Onion Patrol: Sounds kind of like grunge. I think there are drums in here. They could be mixed in a bit louder. (Or less guitar) I think this warrants a B-

Pipe Fist: I don't care for the clicking/popping, but this has a neat industrial feel to it. The drums seem to go too crazy on the chorus. Some of the lyrics make me think of NIN. The scat is different. I don't know if it really fits. This would be better if it weren't for the crazy drum programming. I give it a C+

PISTOLERO: ok, we have a decent techno groove here... But where is the song going? It just seems like it doesn't really go anywhere. I don't get a sense of any kind of story going on in the dialog or any movement. But I think I could dance to it. (OK, maybe not me dance to it, but, in theory, a person could dance to it) I give it a C

Prepubescent Canada: The song is 58 seconds long.... was it recorded in a minute? Seriously, spend some more time planning the songs out. This one seems a bit disjoint and not well thought-out. I have to give it an F

Song Fight Orchestra: Dark and mysterious... Reminds me of something from a soundtrack. I'm afraid to hear what becomes of this as it progresses on... Not sure what to give this one just yet. Maybe a C+

WreckdoM: I don't care much for the heavy processing on the vocals. At first, I thought I was playing the song backwards, but, umm, no... the lyrics make me cringe. I think that's the effect you wanted, though. I give this one a D

Well, assuming a C is about average, there were some good songs this week. 1 A, 5 B's, 6 C's, 3 D's, and 1 F. That's a pretty fair distribution, weighted a bit heavy on the better side of the scale.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

I almost voted for Hoosenbergler, but by the time I got through the rest of the songs I had forgotten that that was a good one. So I voted for Lonbobby without comparing it to Hoosenbergler. It would have been close. Hoosenbergler is a cool band name too.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

First listen reviews

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Andy Balham
+++ Cool sounding inflection, awesome little bass / drum break.
/// The off rhythm guitar / drums are kinda trippy, but kinda nauseating ///
--- Poor intonation on singing. Melody & chords sound careless ---

Ants Invisible
+++ It's very well recorded +++
/// ANd it doesn't go on for very long ///
--- But the delivery is so choppy. Did someone say staccato? ---

Bacon Master
+++ Lyrics at least let us know not to take it seriously. +++
/// Because if we did, we might lose faith in humanity ///
--- Because this track is truly terrible. Sorry ---

BeWells
+++ Better than every open-mic-James-Taylor-type I've heard +++
/// This might play in the "missing-her" montage at the crux of the fictional 80s flick ironically titled "The Wrong Girl" starring (of course) Molly Ringwald ///
--- If I saw such a fictional movie, I'd be like "hey, this part is cheesy" when this song came on ---

Eight Legged Oedipus
+++ I think is actually my best vocal delivery in a while +++
--- Although it's hard to tell because the mic sucks so bad. ---
/// This is my first time hearing this on anything other than cheesy $5 headphones. Ouch! That kick is clipping all over the place. Lots of mix EQ problems, but I really like the general character of this one. ///
For full apologies and mysteries on this song, go to http://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=578

Freddie Love
+++ It's a great rhythm, and a nicely written song +++
/// I generally like the vocals a little farther to the back, but maybe that's why everyone says they can't hear mine :) ///
--- A little sloppy on the timing ---

Hoosenbergler
+++ All the dolls from "It's a Small World" rebelled and wrote this pyscho anthem while experimenting with uppers and digital recording. +++
--- Then they sat on the couch and most of their talent fell out of their pockets. The next day, in the headache aura of an amphetamine comedown, they dug through the sofa cushions for their 'talent' but finally gave up, pissed off. They found 37 cents, though. Correction: 37 pence. ---

Jack Shite
+++ I thought this was a major improvement from Max The Cat, then I looked at the Media Player and read that it was Jack +++
/// Despite nice production, it seems too long by 2:10 already ///
--- Probably because the MIDI drums have no substance ---

Lonbobby
+++ This is the accessible track yielded from last week's daring experiment. Very cool production +++
/// It reminds me of the Madonna track she did for that 007 movie ///
--- Which I really didn't like because of that Autotune sound ---

Magnetbox
/// These guys must have had a page on MP3.com with, like, a photo of one guy rocking out in the garage, and he lists all these common artists in his "Similar Artists" section, like "Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Rage Against The Machine, Weezer, Rolling Stones, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Metallica, Magnetbox" and then in the "About Us" section it says something toally contradictary like "We created a unique fresh sound that is all our own and no one else's." ///
--- I have heard this song 1000 times before, and it sucked the first time ---
+++ But it's pretty awesome that you induced all that imagery for me. Thanks +++

Max The Cat
+++ Wow, this IS an improvement over last week +++
/// I'm not all that big on the exuberant trucker singing style, but it really works for you here ///
--- I agree that you don't need to double-track most of these vocals ---

Onion Patrol
/// This is the guy that shares reciprocal links with magnetbox because they both think it'll get them more hits and that will get the talent scouts to offer them a record deal ///
+++ Genital Warts! +++
--- Sucktastic ---

Pipefist
+++ Prince melodies into hyperspeed Killers doing old-school DnB. YES!!! +++
/// Over that ubiquitous essential downtempo bassline (aka the Portishead Bassline) ///
--- Loose. Very loose. It sounds like if you demo'ed this again from scratch it would be a winner. Then if Flood produced it you'd have a hit. But I'm sure Flood costs like $4000 / hour and is booked until 2007. ---

Pistolero
+++ "No friend of mine" part is wicked +++
/// Samples almost work as vocals ///
--- If so, I'd still say the vocals are really repetitive and don't carry the song. ---

Prepubescent Canada
+++ This song is everything everyone said and LESS +++
--- It's like one of those things that's old the first time like "Sticks and stones can break my bones..." or "I'm rubber, you're glue." Dork. ---

Songfight Orchestra
+++ Great sound +++
/// I think the whispering could work with a sweet chorus effect ///
--- A little repetitive even in 38 seconds. ---

WreckDOM
+++ So glad you come last each week (alphabetizing is annoying). Oh and that chorus vocal is awesome in a Jesus Lizard way. +++
/// It's a little funny. Just a little ///
--- Still very much a WreckDOM song in that I have no desire ever to hear this again. That might be your intention. ---
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Andy Balham »

Here are the votes from the Balham jury…

Andy Balham (me of course)
Thanks to everyone who’s done reviews so far. Thank also to J$, who sent me his ‘emo’ poem for me to interpret. Popular opinion notwithstanding, this is one of the favourite things I done so far.

Ants (Invisible)
Pleasant.

Bacon Master
Derivative metal riff. Dull vocal. Unpleasant.

The BeWells
A lot to admire here. You’ve got a pleasant voice, though not to my taste. The quality of the recording is very good with some nice little touches going on in the background. I’m afraid I’m a little impervious to this oeuvre and the use of ‘summer’ and ‘linger’ in the first line killed it for me.

Eight Legged Oedipus
I’m quite enjoying the general soundscape, but after a while it palls. I would have liked little changes like the guitar in the background to come in earlier for a bit of variation. Not bad, but not great.

Freddielove
This is a nice change, especially at the time of night I’m listening. I like to read the lyrics whilst I review, so it would be nice to have yours in there. It all sounds very familiar, but it’s my favourite so far.

Hoosenbergler
Ah the Hoosenbergler, there for the inner child in all of us. Like the outro, la la la…

Jack Shite
Straight away I’m feeling this. I like your delivery and the backing suits it well. I’m enjoying the picked guitar and the lazy drum rolls. Contender.

Lonbobby
The opening piano reminds me of the cover of ‘Mad World’ and when it starts up it remind me a bit of the Bristol trip-hop movement. And that’s good. I like the breakdown, there’s a lot here to keep me interested and variation is something I usually bang on about. It’s close, but I still favour Jack

Magnetbox
This isn’t too bad. The drums and guitar are a bit repetitive. Is it the guitar in a loop? If it is then I would suggest recording more variations. The solo work is quite neat and I like the ‘Yeah!’ at the end of the chorus. More work needed on the vocal, but whom am I too criticise. Too long for the lack of variation too.

Max the Cat
Another fine track from The Cat. You have a knack for putting together interesting backgrounds to your work. This isn’t quite as good as your TTDINY, but I’m still digging it. Vying for a vote, but Shite is still a nose in front.

Onion Patrol
More standard rock riffs to open. Is it me or does there seem to be a bit of rock renaissance on here at the moment? The tone seems to really disappear at the chorus, just when it should be kicking in. If that was intentional then it doesn’t work for me. I was expecting it to go to 11.

Pipe Fist
I admire your boldness for the arrangement that really relies on getting the vocal spot on and you carry it off well. I particularly like the falsetto. We should have a special falsetto challenge sometime. Very trip-hop and I was grooving along until the scat raised its jazz head. Still, it didn’t stop it being very enjoyable and a welcome break from the more standard arrangements from the likes of me.

PISTOLERO
Ah the 80s, when synths were big and new. You do the soundscape well, but it’s all lacking a little meat for me. It was an interesting listen, but is an instrumental in my book and that eliminates it from the voting.

Prepubescent Canada
Hello boys.

Song Fight Orchestra
Nice intro.

WreckdoM
I exercised no parental discretion and plunged in. You’re trying to hide it, but you fellows desperately want to record a song. This is dangerously close. I dig the chorus, but would have liked to have had your Tom Waites styles vocal on the verse.

Top three:
3. Max the Cat
2. Lonbobby
1. Jack Shite
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hey thanks andy!
Hi!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I'm not sure I'll have time to write reviews this week as I am out of town from tomorrow until Monday, but just wanted to say -

I think Andy Balham did a top-notch job in turning my emo-poem (in 14 syllable iambic pentameter more or less, and with a ridiculously complicated ABCBCDAD rhyme scheme to boot.) into a tune that's caught in my head, especially the chorus. Just be glad i didn't go with my original plan of writing it in Poulter's Measure instead ...

I liked Hoosenbergler, who wouldn't? Like Andy said 'Don't let the Social Services take your Inner Child away'. That guitar playing is quietly tremendous, too, Hoos. May I call you Hoos?

I liked the Songfight Orchestra - even though I am aware of the purpose of it, I liked it as an individual piece in the context of if you're gonna do short 'art pieces' as an entry to Songfight, this is a good benchmark. Simple, creepy, effective, and managing to tell a story of sorts. Good start.

Pre-pubescent Canada - this would have been a great song if you had taken the 4 seconds of music and left out everything else. i mean it. Vocal scatting is not your strong point, but the little lo-fi fiddle and keys splurge sounded good. In the meantime you are wasting a very good band name there. I was hoping for The Red Hand Gang sing the songs of Boards of Canada ...

But I am gonna vote Jack Shite, because it's the best tune, and because the horror of reading the lyric in the archive was totally punctured by the sweet way in which they work with the tune. Nice work, JS, with your chillded out Cali vibe.

J$
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

i found the 8 legged oedipus song to be a nice challenge. groovy and plenty of weird - just what modern electronic-soaked music oughtta be, settling into a decent little prince-y groove. super job.

hoosenbergler tipped the scales just barely over the wrong side of the kraftwerk quotient, altho i appreciate a kazoo in any context. odd that you'd be so economical in run length but have way too many bars of intro.

oh yeah! @ the lonbobby song. excellent groove. i feel gay for liking it, but i like it anyways. a rare engaging use of autotune misuse.

this fight is all the top dance hits of 2012.

wreckdom win some kind of award for being the longest running sucky songfight band that i can't bring myself to like. :P
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne
Pronouns: he/him

Post by c.layne »

i missed you, blue. :)
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Andy Balham »

jack shite wrote:hey thanks andy!
No worries. I've even remembered to vote for my favourite this week.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I just wanted ya'll to know that I'm really digging on the 8leggedoedipus song.

good stuff do0d(s)

unrelated:
Sparks? did you turn in an entry this week. Come out come out wherever you are.
Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard
Recording Method: Logic Express 9
Submitting as: Lonbobby

Post by Lonbobby »

Quick reviews cause I have to study anatomy!

8 Legged: Love the "alright" sample. Really great beat and feel.

Max: Opening is great but I'm not feeling the voice. Love the changes and build up of the song.

Ants: Funny

Song Fight Orchestra: I skimmed the sidefight thread so I think I know what this is about. Cool beginning.

Wreckdom: The best part about your music is your band name.

Pistolero: Good sample at the beginning. Like where it goes after that. Like the high piano notes. Wow, really into this. Great job. Haven't read this thread yet but don't let people give you shit for being an "instrumental."

Magnet: Nice guitar but bad vocal delivery.

Hoosenbergler: Fun and really well done.

Canada: Eh, I've heard better of what you're trying to do.

Bewells: Opening to put most guitarists to shame. Like this a lot. Love the guitar solo. Great feel and great job.

Andy: I like your guitar solo but vocals not that good.

Freddie: Cool percussion.

Bacon: Getting hungry thinking of your band name. Nice rock feel in the beginning. Vocals ruin it for me.

Onion: Almost identical review to above: Awesome rock feel in the beginning but the vocals ruin it for me.

Jack: Still loving your run faster...Like the oohs here a lot. Most "Wrong Girl" feel for me.

Pipe: Awesome electronic stuff in the opening. Nice voice but needs reverb maybe? I like this a lot and I really get into it. Love it when you start going crazy with the voice.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's reviews. Everyone did a great job. I'm really humbled compared to the awesome talent on this site as of late.