Don't Bore Us With Your Boron Rodviews. (Boron Rod Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Don't Bore Us With Your Boron Rodviews. (Boron Rod Reviews)

Post by ken »

I just wanted to use Boron Rodviews.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Re: Don't Bore Us With Your Boron Rodviews. (Boron Rod Reviews)

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

5 years ago I submitted She Gave Up (1/29) and Bitter Orange (2/6). Crazy. Now I add Boron Rod to that eclectic mix.

edit: Going on vacation tomorrow morning, probably won't be able to review if these don't get up soon. Sorry guys.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Nur Ein Archives | The New Ugly Podcast
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Met him on a Monday and my heart stood still
The Boron-ron-rod, the Boron Rod
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

thanks spud!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard
Recording Method: Logic Express 9
Submitting as: Lonbobby

Post by Lonbobby »

Looking forward to my first fight in a while. Just FYI, this song is a Valentine's day gift for my Valentine (awwwww.....)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Had one listen through today. Lonbobby is the standout at the moment. Will listen again and get down to the review thing soon
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

Will get to my picks Wednesday. Just finished listening to the Hxaro archive, and will start this fight next.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

BSS: I'd really dig this if it was a few bpms slower with a more psychadelic mix on the vox. as it is, it's tight. just doesn't pop out at me.
BGM: really solid acoustic guitar. the progression isn't insane, but that fits the style. also, the aaaaaaaaaaahs are glorious.
BC: naturally, I'm a little biased since I dropped drums for this one. I think it's pretty kickass. :)
CR: the instruments all feel a little distant. I'd bring up the guitars, kick, snare and bass to match the level of the vox a little better. the song itself rocks, but it just doesn't kick me in the nuts as hard as I'd like.
COM: competent enough, but I'm hardly qualified to contribute anything helpful regarding this genre.
DBI: I dig the lyrics, but the whole thing doesn't groove as it could, I think.
THN: interesting drum effects, and I really like the end; the whole thing's just too long for me to really care at that point though.
HM: the melody follows the chords really closely. I think that can be a useful tool from time to time, but it gets a little tiresome here. also, I'm 100% sure this could be recorded better using the same tools you used. what's your recording setup?
LB: awesome. rock solid melody and fun production. I dig it.
MG: I love the 90s chorus progression and melody, but I seriously can't stomach the frantic drums in the verse.
SC: is that a toy piano? or a vibraphone? I dig it, but it's way too high in the mix. higher frequencies cut through the mix really easily so you don't need that kind of volume. also, kazoos are never a bad idea. I really dig the vibe of this one by the end.

favorites:
BGM, BC, LB, SC
historyman68
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Iqballers (it's pronounced Ick-ballers!)

Post by historyman68 »

Reist: iPhone microphone perched (somewhat precariously) in between an amp and my mouth. Guitar tuned to open tuning, all B notes. So yes, the chords seem a little simple because they are mostly composed of one or two notes. 

I'd say it's probably more accurate to say the chords follow the melody- though the end of the verse is a riff I repurposed from another song I wrote so maybe the melody could be a little more creative there.
"completely tramples any established production conventions." -Humbert
"I really have to curb my enthusiasm for flowery hyperbole" -Humbert

myspace.com/iqballers (it's pronounced "Ick-Ballers")
SchlimminyCricket
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: synths and guits
Submitting as: Schlimminy Cricket

Post by SchlimminyCricket »

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints - Sounds spooky and ghostly. I like it, but it's a little easy to slip into just hearing it as sound rather than as music, if that makes any sense. I think it's just the way the vocals sound.
Lonbobby - Holy crap, Lonbobby. This is just so good. I don't understand what you mean by boron rod in this context, but I don't even care. I'm intimidated by the goodness of this track. It reminds me of a more recent David Byrne song or something.
Berkley Social Scene - This sounds nice, but the lyrics don't do it for me.
Big Crouton - This track sounds a bit like something Ed Robertson from the Barenaked Ladies would do on one of his darker days, which is a good thing.
Manhattan Glutton - Your vocals bring me pleasure. Actually, so does the whole track. Good work.
Historyman - I feel like this song deserves a more refined recording. The song isn't bad, but the recording is rough and it takes away from the experience.
BGM - The guitar on this is my favorite. The lyrics are pretty good, too. Overall it's quite a good song.
Caravan Ray - I can barely hear the rhythm guitar, and that makes the vocals sound too shouty. I think it would be better if you brought up the guitar a bit.
The HATE Noise - This track is just confusing to my senses. I can't make one part out from another.
Center of Mass - Your scary voice at the beginning makes this feel like the ambient music at a laser tag place or something. I can't help feeling that this might not be quite what you were going for.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

http://spintown79.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... n-rod.html

Lonbobby - This is such a strange, but catchy sound. A smack down...has been laid. I didn't even like all the lyrics, but they won't get out of my head. (voted)

bgm - Such a sweet song considering the prompt is "boron rod". Song felt shorter than it really was, but that's better than feeling too long. Probably just me, but the line "Like those spikes for old wood so the house doesn't rot" just seems awkward. Overall I enjoyed this a lot. (voted)

Manhattan Glutton - Probably my favorite musically, but lyrically it just wasn't for me.

Big Crouton - First couple minutes I was bored, even though you finished strong. The music wasn't bad, it was actually really relaxing. There just wasn't anything about it that could hold my attention for 2 minutes without mixing it up a little.

Caravan Ray - Once I looked up the term "White anting" the song made more sense to me, but I still didn't care for it lyrically. Even though it's not required via Song Fight rules (it's clearly inspired by the title), I usually don't vote for songs that don't use the entire title.

Berkeley Social Scene - Really rockin' entry. Music was badass, and I enjoyed the performance. Didn't care for the lyrics though.

Schlimminy Cricket - Aside from the glockenspiel & kazoo it made me think of a few cowboys singing by the fire or along a trail.

The HATE Noise - I usually wince a little when I hit play on one of your tracks. It's just not a natural thing for someone to do if they've heard past entries. I probably would have just passed on writing anything, but this time it was especially painful. More than 8 minutes of someone who sounded like they couldn't make up their mind on what they wanted to do. You don't have to use the term "Fuck You" over & over. Trust me, I felt like someone raped my ears already.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Thank your for listening. Sorry for the out of tune vocals - I had a cold. This week I felt like a Test batsman coming back after a run of ducks. Trying to bat myself back into form. I feel like I knocked up a respectable 25 under trying conditions on a difficult pitch before being sent back to the Pavillion after one jagged back from outside the off-stump. However - nobody else was knocking up any tonnes either:

HIGH DISTINCTION:
nil

DISTINCTION:
Lonbobby - this is close to great. But the Cher vocal thing is really annoying. Wonderful song. Piss the vocal effects off.

CREDIT:

Manhatton Glutton: Not really my cup of tea. This is all a bit bloated and too much too muchy. But it is fucking good. Really fucking good - so kudos to you sir.

BGM: This sounds great. And it is an excellent song - BUT - you also suffer from using the title. The "Boron Rod" bit just kills an excellent song

Berekley Social Scene: This is very good. Almost. The first line kills it a bit. Explicit use of the title is bad - because it was a dumb title. And why is there a dead American in a matchbox? I don't disagree with the sentiment - but I think we need a bigger recepticale. Love the end of the song.

PASS:
Schliminey Cricket: Don't quite understand this. But I love a ballad. This sounds like something I would like - but I don't know why.
Dollar Bill and Inkspots: The music is good and J$ has done a fine job of delivery - but sorry Bill - the lyrics are a bit dumb
Big Crouton: Beautiful production. I don't like the song

FAIL:
Centre of Mass: There is a reason why some people think Rick Wakeman, Mike Olfield etc. are dicks. This just sounds a bit pretentious like the bloated synth-operas of the past
Historyman: I am bored until the guitar starts. Then 10 seconds later I am bored again. All a bit too out-of-timey and off-keyey
HATE Noise: I am old. I have no patience for this

Distinctions and Credits get votes
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Allow me to explain the wacky BSS entry.

It's FAWM time again. Again, we (I write lyrics for BSS during FAWM times) decided to go for a concept album. This year's concept is songs inspired by the movies of Bill Murray. "Boron Rod" is based around the Murray movie- Limits of Control. Limits is an art film from the mind of Jim Jarmusch. It's the story of a man (known only as the Lone Man) who is on an assassination mission. Throughout the film, he meets up with fellow agents in coffee shops (pass phrase- "Usted no habla espanol, verdad") who give him info about his mission through messages in matchboxes, though most of the messages are all about how reality is subjective. The Lone Man travels towards his goal, repeatedly running into people who try to throw him off track (most often- a naked Paz de la Huerta who offers him sex that he refuses). He gets to his goal, by using his imagination, and kills the target- an American played by Bill Murray.

Does the movie make sense? Probably only to Jarmusch. You are supposed to draw your own conclusions. The lyrics to the song are built around the movie, so draw your own conclusions.

"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

Another slanted opinion:

Bss. I like the music, the time change seems a little forced, but it works. Niveous' explanation helped make some sense of the words. I like female singers, I like your female singer, but she sounds a little underwhelmed, and bored this time. I don't know how to pull it off within the dynamic of the song, but I want to hear more energy in the voice.

Dollerbill et al. This was the idea I was toying with as well, boring rod. I like the quiet spacey part at the end the the best.

Caravan ray. You can tell by the venom in your voice when you say the word that you spent a lot of time in the rain recently. Maybe venom is too strong a word, but you get the point. Cool song, the lyrics seemed to ramble a little, but solid performance.

Big crouton. I like this a lot. Everything flows together well musically, the drummer is really good. Even the explosion Sfx at the end were tastefully done. Vote.

Center of mass. Superheroes are cool. But this song could have used a build up of some sort, It never got exciting. I wanted it to bust out the crazy dark house beat, with some crazy synths going... But it just stayed in dull pre buildup mode.

The hate noise. I'm with them on this one... I don't get it, it's way too long, and the fuck yous get old.

Historyman. I'm sure you don't, but it kinda sounds like you just wing it, make up the words as you go, play whatever chord you put your hand on, hit effects randomly, and just happened to have a tape recorder in the room. There is something to be said for that, but it also makes you sound like that crazy homeless guy sitting on the mall with his homemade xylaphonitar plugged into a paperjamz amplifier singing about his three legged baby from three mile island. My opinion.

Manhattan glutton. Crazy drums. Kinda brings stabbing westward to mind... Remember them? Cool song. Vocals don't quite do it for me, but they fit with the music so I can't complain. Vote.

Bgm. Guitar is very well played, and the words well written. The old houses rotting wood line is perfect. vote

Shlimmeny cricket. Hahaha. Cute, different than anything else this fight. I think it could be much shorter, And that would keep it from getting boring. I still vote for you cause it's unique and out of left field.

Lonbobby. Wow. I think that this is an awesome song, but for some reason I want it to be sung by a woman. I dunno why. So good though. You should sell it to some huge pop star. I don't want to make it sound like your performance sucked, because it was stellar, I just see lady gaga singing this song or something. Good job, vote

Wow, lots a votes this week. Glad I didn't record the p.o.s. I came up with for this fight.
The HATE Noise
A New Player
Submitting as: The HATE Noise

Post by The HATE Noise »

Spintown wrote:The HATE Noise - I usually wince a little when I hit play on one of your tracks. It's just not a natural thing for someone to do if they've heard past entries. I probably would have just passed on writing anything, but this time it was especially painful. More than 8 minutes of someone who sounded like they couldn't make up their mind on what they wanted to do. You don't have to use the term "Fuck You" over & over. Trust me, I felt like someone raped my ears already.
I've done rock, rap, acoustic, experimental, noisy, subdued, even stuff with a swing feel to it, and you always seem to have something nasty to say about me. Pray tell, Mr. Town, what type of music DO you like? I understand that you must be a 'hard sell,' but I get the feeling that you're more like an Appalachian moonshiner firing off rounds from a Civil-war-era rifle at all the many things of the modern world he doesn't understand. I.E. somebody who is NOT a selling point for me anyhow. But, just because I'm a tolerant man, give me a genre/style/mood to work with, and the next Songfight I enter will be just for you.

P.S. Your response to this track was exactly as I anticipated it would be. Maybe that was the point? Something to think about...Do you write music? I'm betting not...
Center of Mass
A New Player
Submitting as: Center of Mass

Post by Center of Mass »

The HATE Noise, try not to take what people say here personally. Writing music can be a very personal experience and reviewing (liking or disliking) music is highly subjective. I have enjoyed the stuff I have heard from you thus far. I think there are a lot of music styles that require a certain frame of mind or environmental context for listening for them to be enjoyable (not counting factoring in everyone's personal past experience with music). The way the site is set up you basically end up taking someone who likes listening to country music and then blast death metal at them, which basically will never go over well.
Just keep doing what you are doing and try to build upon the "advice" people provide here.
(I only vote for 2-3 songs, but respect 90% of the songs submitted)
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Spintown »

Where to start...

I don't really have 1 genre that I prefer over all others, although there are some I can't stand. Death metal has very rarely done anything for me...opera always sucks...and I hate instrumentals when entered into songwriting contests (techno walks a very fine line with me). I enjoy country, rock, rap (not gangsta though, I don't like the cursing & stuff that comes with it), musical/broadway, pop, big band, and the list goes on... That should cover the genres well enough, on to what type of things I like in songs regardless of genre.

I typically like songs that tell an interesting story, and that are not ambiguous. I often enjoy novelty type songs that are humorous. The lyrics need to be clear enough that I can EASILY understand them without needing to read them in the forums.

As for how you should take my 'reviews'. I'm the first to admit that my reviews suck ass. Even for songs I like, I'm rarely able to give much feedback about the music since I'm not a musician. You will read some of the same shit over & over like "I didn't care for the lyrics." (I should have a t-shirt made saying that) I write them because I (overall) enjoy listening to each round, and people seem to want feedback wherever they can get it. When I do write them, I'm not thinking "How can I help this guy improve as a songwriter?" I'm telling them why I did or didn't like it, so they can get my vote later on. However, getting MY vote shouldn't be anyone’s goal (and I don't think it is for anyone). So there's a few very good reasons to give little or no credence to my sometimes nasty reviews.

If I'm not liking your stuff on a regular basis, we just have different tastes. Center Of Mass just said he's enjoyed your work, and I've read other positive comments about your work. So you're doing something right...what I don't know...but something.

If I remember correctly...I did like (or not hate) 1 song you entered. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I kind of remember being surprised during 1 fight. I'd have to go look at my past reviews to be sure.
The HATE Noise
A New Player
Submitting as: The HATE Noise

Post by The HATE Noise »

Center of Mass wrote:The HATE Noise, try not to take what people say here personally.

Nah, I'm pretty used to bad reviews, getting kicked out of clubs, being verbally attacked from stage, having the police escort me out of venues, etc. Been doing this for about 10 years...I'm just always curious when people are hard to please. It's a challenge. Thanks for the kind words, however. I was mostly just fuckin' around. Besides, I did this week's 'song' in about 20 minutes with the intention of getting nothing BUT bad reviews (so far, so good!)

And thanks for the reviews, Mr. Spintown, I do appreciate it. And, it's almost always more fun to get bad ones than good ones. I won't say I'll attempt to get your vote solely next time around, but I figure that if you DO enjoy it, then probably some other hataz will too.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

Good news: My lyrics are ironic! You can like my song without feeling uncomfortable.

Bad news: Paying $0.6/mb for Internet so still no reviews from me

Hate noise: Whether your song was serious or not, the attitude is kind of unbecoming... unless you just want to troll. Lower your expectations for 'reviews' or write some yourself to see how easy it is to be accidentally inflammatory.
If I had a dollar for every one of my songs j$ has called a 90s pastiche, I'd have $1 for every song I've written.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Manhattan Glutton wrote:Good news: My lyrics are ironic! You can like my song without feeling uncomfortable.

Bad news: Paying $0.6/mb for Internet so still no reviews from me

Hate noise: Whether your song was serious or not, the attitude is kind of unbecoming... unless you just want to troll. Lower your expectations for 'reviews' or write some yourself to see how easy it is to be accidentally inflammatory.
How's the trip going MG? (BTW - you can always get free internet at Maccas. The only thing that place is good for)
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man

The first night in Melbourne is making up for 3 days in Sydney. This place is really cool. I'll elaborate further in the roll call thread when I have moar internets.

Lonbobby
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard
Recording Method: Logic Express 9
Submitting as: Lonbobby

Post by Lonbobby »

BGM: Very nice guitar playing. Soothing voice. Harmonies very nice too. Bridge awws work well. Vote and download.

History man: buzz in background. Don't like the melody. Picks up a bit but still missing a lot of elements to make a complete song (drums, harmony?)

BSS: I like the vocals. Guitar playing is great. Lots of awesome riffing but I don't like the melody.

Shimming: I like the ancient vibe. Harmonies are great. Kuzoo comes out of nowhere. Makes the song sound like a joke. If that's what you're going for then you very well done.