Who's Ready To Dance? (Disco Tony Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Who's Ready To Dance? (Disco Tony Reviews)

Post by ujnhunter »

Because someone has to do it! Dance!
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8
Submitting as: Metaluna

Re: Who's Ready To Dance? (Disco Tony Reviews)

Post by bdog5778 »

I have to say that this title -while very evocative- doesn't lend itself well to non-lame lyrics. We all know this guy. He is sad; he is lonely; we laugh at his expense. He is Tony. I'm having to handicap my reviews accordingly.

Ga Ga Ghosts - Cheap MIDI drums are almost ruining this. Liking all of the doubled/harmonized vocal phrases. TONY!!! Rawkin'.

Just in Case - This pegs the gay/lame-meter. Ooh, horns. Didn't see that coming. The "Go, Tony!"s are too much. This is a well-produced snapshot of the gay/lame nexus.

Klownhole - Uh-oh. Rawk. Wait, what? Where'd the geetars go? Can't ya just cut the silence/crud? Or just edit it down? I think that actually applies to a certain amount of the track anyway; though, that would go against the stoner vibe I'm getting off of this. The ad-libbing starting at 2:37 is definitely kind of fun. Even so, I'm pretty sure this track has no socially redeeming value. Which is not to say that I don't like it.

Lalabrookie - Can't stand the lyrics, but your voice is excellent. Great melodies, too.

Paco del Stinko - Didn't expect this much sludge from Paco. It's like Dylan coming out with the electric at Newport. Polyester Satan does the guitar solo - wicked. Distinctively Paco jazz-touches thrown in for good measure. Nice.

Schlimminy Cricket - Doesn't quite work as pure comedy or as a tragic folk dirge. Still like it, though.

BBABM - Wow, this is really moving. What a great track. Captures a vibe and then strangles it to death. My only quibble would be the obvious gripe that you need a pop filter. WINNER.

Bobby Davros - Too much tension, not enough release. Vocalist reminds me of the B-52s. Actually, the whole thing kind of does -maybe add the chick backup singers? Probably a fun experiment, right there.

Cthonic Youth - LOTS of rock this fight, yeah! Didn't necessarily MOVE me, but was very well done. Guitars are nice and tight. Liking the muted section starting at 1:40 - really pulls you in for the last verse. To be honest, it would have been nice to have an extended outro solo (or at least a few more bars).

Die Toten Schlaghosen - Like the little noodly guitar on top of the synth. Gives it "flavor". Almost want the bottom end to slam a little more. Forces people to take your cheese seriously.

Metaluna - This is me. I'm terrible at lyrics anyway, so I didn't finish this one. The title made me want to write something about how you can go to the club and you've got little pet names for all of the regulars -without ever really knowing their names. Disco Tony bouncing the door. Alanis Karaoke Girl with her White Russians. Of course, at the end of the night, they don't know YOUR name, either. In sum, a commentary about how disconnected we can all be from each other. Which probably would have been lame as well. :roll:

BBABM gets the vote.
"In Heavy Metal... Precision is ALL. ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN AT ALL TIMES.... HAHAHA. Yes indeedy." --Slipperman

www.metalunarocks.com
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

up quick this week... heres some quick reviews on first listen

lalabrookie: SOOOO MUCH BETTER than last fight!!! the song moves along nicely, has awesome vocal harmonies, and the lyrics made me smile. i like the weird keyboard in the background, simple but effective. and though i appreciate the short break with the snaps and the boogie, i think that it is better suited for a live performance, because it kind of breaks the nice groove that ou have going and feels out of place... but live i think it would be a cool little switch up to keep the audience on their toes. much better than last week, vote. (helps that im a sucker for chick singers)

metaluna: i believe i read that this was a instrumental somewhere, so i expected that. when those first guitar notes hit it sounded like "disco tony" so ill buy it... i like it a lot, but it does need vocals. i feel like it should be phil anselmo, singing all low drunken and grumbly. cool tune, but some of the changes sound a little drastic, like it goes from really loud to really quiet, which vocals would probably help with.

Die Toten Schlaghosen: funky. sounds like background music in a movie. i think the drums could be turned up a bit, and it needs a bootsy collins bassline... but it was enjoyable.

ga ga ghosts: nice, now turn it up to 11. everything sounds a strangely subdued in a song that is really fun, and so full of energy. i want to see it live. probably a vote.

bobby davros: i thought it was going to be dick dale... and instead got dead kennedys. i like it, but nothing really makes it stand out or get stuck in my head. i like the drums a lot.

just in case: the funk guitar goes with the piano pattern, but it sounds weird. the horns on the other hand are awesome. the "go tony" breakdown makes me laugh... i can see the music video in my head... and i regret to inform you that your story takes place at a roller disco, so the chicks would be wearing skates with strap, not shoes that tap... but other than that you set the scene perfectly. vote (mostly for the "go tony"s)

cthonic youth: nice, you did not make ga ga ghosts mistake and forget to turn it up. the feedback solo may be a little long, and i thought you were gonna make the braggadocio ralph maccio rhyme...ha... but you went a different way and it fit well. very well done, vote.

bad boys at bat mitzvahs: the two guitar part sounded more together when i was messing with them.. here not so much. combined with a number of voice pops that i only noticed now, im not as happy with it as i was when i submitted it. oh well, ive been practicing this one a lot and have it at a faster tempo, and with more country twang in the guitar. we learn from our mistakes, i learn more lessons than most.

klownhole: it wasnt possible to cut out that beginning silence and coughing? your drummer rules though, and the keys are a cool addition to the band. all in all it sounded like a live jam, not a recorded song. id love to see it in a tiny smoke filled (not any more) biker dive bar... it would be a blast plastered, but sober at home on my laptop its not quite what i wanted.

schlimminy cricket: uke songs always sound funny to me... i dont really have anything constructive to say. not my bag. i couldnt tell if it was a serious song or a funny song.

paco del stinko: your voice makes me laugh. i dont know if its effects on the drums, or what but the hi hats and the snare sound like the only treble in the whole song, and it sounds weird. i dont know what you could do to remedy this, it just feels really bassy, with these hissing hits going. i like it, it just sounds like its missing something to fill this huge gap in the middle.

votes go to lala, ga ga, JIC & Cth..... cant vote for my own song, as i think its the weakest song this week.
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

bdog5778 wrote:BBABM gets the vote.
wow... unexpected. thank you! and yes, a pop filter is at the top of the list of dumb junk i should have, and need to get. i was basically whispering into the mic for this one, so those p's, t's and s's really come through.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Spintown »

http://spintown79.blogspot.com/2011/03/ ... -tony.html

Paco del Stinko - Fun song that gave me the best mental picture of the fight. Enjoyed the lyrics, it's upbeat & had me dancing in my chair. (Voted)

Just In Case - Finally, someone brought a disco ball to the party. I wish more people had tried to dust off the old bell-bottoms. It was the main reason I was looking forward to this fight. (Voted)

Schlimminy Cricket - Not something that would go on my MP3 player, but it was fun to listen to. Had me laughing a couple times, and the lines:

"Ride on your truth Zamboni
Don't leave us all alone-y"

...is something I think I'll love to hate. Overall not a bad entry.

Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs - Enjoyed the performance, but didn't care for the lyrics. Really, really enjoyed the performance though.

Ga Ga Ghosts - Not bad, just couldn't get into it. I like the fact your trying to bring some humor into it, but hearing "TONY" over & over got old.

Die Toten Schlaghosen - I generally like lyrics...although you did include the title. First track of the bunch that got my finger itchin' to point in the air...but not my cup of tea as far as what I normally listen to.

Metaluna - Not a bad instrumental...but how was it inspired by the title? (No lyrics...no vote)

Chthonic Youth - Not my type of music, but I did enjoy most of it. Not a big fan of cursing in the music I listen to...that hurt you a little.

Bobby Davros - Felt like every direction you took, lead you into a brick wall. Sorry, just not for me.

Klownhole - Well, shit...

lalabrookie - I think I like the vocalist, and would like the vocals more up front. There's about 8 seconds starting around 1:47 that I want to forget I heard.
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

Spintown wrote: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs - Enjoyed the performance, but didn't care for the lyrics. Really, really enjoyed the performance though.
cool. Yeah, I sat down with the intention of writing meaningful, deep lyrics, and whenever i do that I end up with something that sounds fabricated, and unnatural.

P.s. I've been getting closer and closer to getting your vote, I thought I had it this time..haha... Oh well, one of these days spin, one of these days.
Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Spintown »

P.s. I've been getting closer and closer to getting your vote, I thought I had it this time..haha... Oh well, one of these days spin, one of these days.
Whether you've got a vote from me or not yet, you've become someone I look forward to hearing from each fight.
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

I don't do it for the votes... The fact that I've made a fan is enough of a win
SchlimminyCricket
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: synths and guits
Submitting as: Schlimminy Cricket

Post by SchlimminyCricket »

Something happened this week to turn everything all electric and hair-metal-y. I think everyone just assumed that everyone else was going to go with disco and tried to get as far away from that as possible, ironically sending them all to the same place.

BBABM - I like your entry because it is different. A lot of this week's entries turned out sounding alike, but yours stands out. Guy With Guitar type songs are nice when they are done well, and I'd say that this is.
Bobby Davros - This has sort of a fun energy to it, in an Oingo Boingo kind of way, but it's a little noisy. If this had been produced more cleanly I would have liked it quite a lot.
Cthonic Youth - I love the melody, the vocals, and most of the instrumentation. I do not love the lyrics. Swearing in music always feels like an uncreative way to eat up syllables to me.
Die Toten Schlaghosen - This is a nice little piece, but it feels like an intro without a song. I kept waiting for a verse and none came.
Ga Ga Ghosts - The way the guitars drop off at the beginning is jarring. The lyrics in the chorus don't do much for me, but it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who rhymes Tony with baloney. It's a good rhyme that I will defend to the end.
Just In Case - It was so incredibly refreshing to finally hear some disco after all of the distorted quasi-metal that happened this week. Horns and piano are awesome. I'm not a fan of the Go Tonies, but the song is still my favorite of the lot.
Klownhole - Uh... Yeah. Keep doing your thing, I guess. You seem pretty good at whatever it is you're doing here. Maybe it goes on a little too long, but then again, I wouldn't have even started a song like this. So do it your way. Points for the presence of an organ.
lalabrookie - Your harmonies are sweet, and I love the plinky little synth thing too much to even express. I'm not too into the lyrics, and that break right in the middle is more than a bit disruptive, but as long as there's that plinky little synth it's cool.
Metaluna - Not my genre at all, so I'm not sure how much I can say that's useful.It seems perfectly well put together, but I just have a hard time enjoying this sort of song.
Paco del Stinko - This is kind of the same situation as with Metaluna for me. It's too loud and waily for me.
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Post by Andy Balham »

Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs
There's a nice picture painted here and the minimal instrumentation adds to it. The tracking of the guitars could be a little tighter and I would have liked a little guitar break in there too, but otherwise all round a good listen.

Chthonic Youth
There's a 90's indie/grunge feel to this picture of this degenerate Tony. The instrumental seems to lose its way after a while, but the breakdown and build up after it works well. I think the vocals sound a little too relaxed for me and I'm consequently not feeling the story about Tony as much as I'd like. Nothing to fault on the production front, just curious how you got the MP3 to be so damned loud.

Die Toten Schlaghosen
A pleasant enough piece of electronica. The lead riff is pretty nice. I agree with an earlier reviewer that it needs a funkier bass line underneath it to really get my toes a-tapping.

Ga Ga Ghosts
There's some production issues for me here, what with levels suddenly dipping and the overall mix sounding somewhat thin to me. This rather detracts from the song, which I actually quite like.

Just In Case
This reminds me of Barry Manilow, in a good way. I suppose it has distant echoes Copacabana. It is a well-crafted piece and a nice change of pace in this strangely heavy fight. I'm not sure the 'Go Tony's added much for me, but I applaud such adventure.

Klownhole
Against my better judgement I heartily enjoyed this scatological escapade. Strangely compelling and catchy for me and it sounded a hoot to play and record.

lalabrookie
Very well executed with some nice lines in there, particularly the Staying Alive one. I'm not sure about the break and I felt it went on a touch longer than necessary, given the Spartan instrumentation and lack of dynamic change. It was good to hear about a Tony who wasn't a loser (apart from in the fashion sense).

Metaluna
Hmm... if you had managed disco metal then that might have been worth more of a listen.

Paco del Stinko
The mix sounds lacking in sparkle, everything sounds a little dull to my ears. The chorus strike me as somewhat monotonous, but the verses are more interesting. I like the ending with the chanting and solo.

Schlimminy Cricket
Now I'm liking this and not just because there's a ukulele involved. I like the ridiculousness of it and jaunty picture it paints, not to mention the phrase 'polyester knight'.
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: lalabrookie

Post by lalabrookie »

OK, so hopefully newbies are allowed to review?!

Disco Tony....cheesy...and ya gotta love cheesy!

KLOWN: song has a strong sound - funny lyrics but kinda gross and the repetitive theme just got kind of old although I like how you basically say you're bullshitting so people can't help but get shit in their ears(right, or did I misinterpret that)? Liked the live feel of the beginning and the end. Made me think of band practices from back in the day :o) And the "DOH' cracked me up

SCHLIMMINY: loved the uke. Kinda felt like you were trying to invoke Disco Tony...a little creepy (but not necessarily in a bad way) and the lyrics cracked me up. Also, I felt the need to harmonize with you on some of this. VOTE

GAGA: OK, the disco-roni rhyme was awesome! Loved the speed metal feel - kinda took me back to my Pantera days. Nice tight sound, and the somewhat disconcerted backing "Tony"'s were awesome. VOTE

PACO: Lyrics were amusing, liked the harmonies. The rhythm guitar kinda made me nervous but I liked how it offset the silliness of the song. I loved the high "AAAH!" And great guitar at the end. VOTE

JUST IN: Good beat and feel after the intro (which was also very nice). Liked the idea of the keys and the horns but the "Go Tony"'s kinda made me want to off myself. Too much of that crappy "music" (using that term loosely here) on the radio already. But other than those, nice.

METALUNA: Loved the feel of the song. This is Disco Tony angry and feeling misunderstood, right? Until the "I'm OK with myself" ending? Rhythm and lead guitars were great! VOTE

BAD BOYS: Some of the lyrics were very good (talking through whiskey, regrets line), but on the whole thought they were a little trite. However, the tune grew on me and the guitar sounded very pretty.

CHTHONIC: Strong beginning - almost startling but very good. Great hook and liked the drums a lot. Flow was a little weird but still OK . Liked the 15 minutes line.

DIE TOTEN: Good clean sound and loved the simplicity and the builds before the synth "Disco Tony"'s. VOTE

BOBBY: Funny, but did you recently take singing lessons from Dracula? OK, maybe you're really from Transylvania (modern day Romania? Not so down on my geography these days), and if so, I apologize. Liked the build- a little repetitive but good. Really liked the puppet clown line. Nice guitar @ the end and good ending in general.

LALA (ME): Well, I was going for cheesy and comedic effect...happy with my vocals, guitar and admittedly cheesy lyrics, but real with the fact that one would have to definitely use their imagination to find my "staying alive" break in the middle amusing...although I myself found it to be vastly amusing... :o)

So votes go to Schlimminy, Ga Ga, Paco, Metaluna and Die Toten...but good job everyone!

AND THANKS FOR LETTING ME BOOGIE WIT YALL!!!
Yea, I lost my groove...I lost my groove all over the place - Kat Criswell
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

lalabrookie wrote:OK, so hopefully newbies are allowed to review?!

BAD BOYS: Some of the lyrics were very good (talking through whiskey, regrets line), but on the whole thought they were a little trite. However, the tune grew on me and the guitar sounded very pretty.
Everyone is allowed, and encouraged to review!

I'll admit, I didn't know what trite meant, and was taken aback at first... Thanks to dictionary.com I now agree with your statement about the unoriginality of the lyrics. When I recorded, I had only written the lyrics to the chorus (basically what you liked) and the rest were written after all the music was recorded. I always have trouble writing lyrics with the expressed purpose of writing lyrics. All my lyrics that I really like just came to me, and weren't really written. I always work on my songs more after, and sing other stuff while I practice to try and find better lyrics. Thanks for listening!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Hastily written reviews, please ask for clarification or specifics if I make no sense. I was surprised at how few disco type songs there were, and that so many people 'went heavy'. I was a kid during the disco era, and for good or bad, a lot of disco made its way into my DNA. Anyway, welcome back Klownhole!

Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs - I can almost hear the cars going by on the hi-way in the background, but glad you didn't add them in. A bit moody,the easy melody and some good lyrics work well. Second guitar is a bit buried but adds secret sauce. Pop filter alert!

Bobby Davros
- Alex Harvey on vocals, after a case of throat lozenges. I like the escalating progressions and rockified disco beat. Good and snotty.

Chthonic Youth - Love the Sonic Youth-ish mid section a lot, but the first half is great as well. Not digging the palm muted section as much, don't know why, but hooray for the noise afterwards. Makes me want to hear some throat shredding vocals in there with a supporting vocal harmony as well. Strong tune.

Die Toten Schlaghosen - More of an early video game soundtrack than danceable tune. Up the BPM for that. Cute and direct though.

Ga Ga Ghosts - This reminds me of something my buddy and I would have done in the old four-track days. Messy, silly, delivered with mock intensity. I love the sloppy drums and low voice. Great lyrics.

Just In Case - Best beat of the week, as far as disco goes, certainly. Pulsing. I like the airy groove here and the party atmosphere that pops up. Could use a hypnotic trip-out section or something to elevate it higher. Good tune with a pleasant vibe.

Klownhole - I dig the Beastie Boys meets Hendrix riff. Nice and skudgey. The lyrics only get better as the song goes, even as awful as any of those situations would be. I know you guys are anti guitar solo, but a few slow dive bombs might've fit the theme. Disco Tony only makes a cameo but hey, the return of the K-Hole is a celebratory event!

lalabrookie - What a neat mish-mash of styles here. A folky intro, with an interesting major/minor switch, interesting vocal rhythm patterns that sound like they won't work then do, the bleep melody. The bridge part is bold, but I keep thinking the song ends abruptly when it arrives. Vocals and harmonies very nice. Please make more songs.

Metaluna
- Epic set-up here for an unfinished song. Well constructed and tight. Layers of vocals would finish this nicely. Heavy, yet good spirited.

Paco del Stinko - I hear what folks are saying about the mix. Muddy save for the drums and vocal. Huh. Quick and stupid, I ended up following the crowd in an attempt to not do disco, when I would have LOVED to have done disco. Next time: do what you feel!

Schlimminy Cricket
- Nice instrumentation and melody although vocal harmonies could use tightening. The lyrics are cute and could almost have been delivered minstrel style. The ending feels a bit incomplete, but this is a good tune. Watch those recording peaks.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by lalabrookie »

BBABM, you wrote:
I'll admit, I didn't know what trite meant, and was taken aback at first... Thanks to dictionary.com I now agree with your statement about the unoriginality of the lyrics. When I recorded, I had only written the lyrics to the chorus (basically what you liked) and the rest were written after all the music was recorded. I always have trouble writing lyrics with the expressed purpose of writing lyrics. All my lyrics that I really like just came to me, and weren't really written. I always work on my songs more after, and sing other stuff while I practice to try and find better lyrics. Thanks for listening!

BBABM, I want to say that I still really liked the song. I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to lyrics- I find myself criticizing a lot of songs on the radio and they must know a lot more than me because they are actually making money with their music!

And I have to say that you get extra points for your hilarious and original name :wink:

And I hope this post looks right...I'm trying to italicize and add a smiley but it looks really wierd on here. Hoping it looks right when I hit submit...guess I'll see in a moment.
BBABM
Mean Street

Post by BBABM »

Yeah, I have found that "popular music" in general usually sounds pretty generic, and trite, as you put it. It keeps the populace happy, and there is something to be said for selling millions of records. Doesn't always mean it's actually "good" or "thought provoking" or pushing any boundaries... I usually just aim for good, and hopefully the rest follows. Again, thanks for your comments!
And please be mean if you need to... I try to take criticism well
lalabrookie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by lalabrookie »

Can't wait to hear the next submission, BBABM....I may be a little new to this but I know I've enjoyed your songs a lot! I should admit that while you may be a sucker for chick singers, I am a sucker for acoustic artists. So you better BRING IT for the VEST FACTORY!!!! :o)