Occupies the Place of a Review Thread (Occupy reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Occupies the Place of a Review Thread (Occupy reviews)

Post by king_arthur »

...and here come the production police...
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8
Submitting as: Metaluna

Re: Occupies the Place of a Review Thread (Occupy reviews)

Post by bdog5778 »

Do I just send artwork to the same fightmaster@songfight.org e-mail address?
"In Heavy Metal... Precision is ALL. ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN AT ALL TIMES.... HAHAHA. Yes indeedy." --Slipperman

www.metalunarocks.com
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

bdog5778 wrote:Do I just send artwork to the same fightmaster@songfight.org e-mail address?
There's technically a registration process to submit artwork, but I'd be willing to bet that if you attach art in a compatible format to that address, Fightmaster will know what to do with it.

You're up against King Arthur, though:

http://www.songfight.org/artpage.php?key=735
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

bdog5778 wrote:Do I just send artwork to the same fightmaster@songfight.org e-mail address?
I think you can. There is a process set up for submitting art, but it requires a separate login, and I know that at least once the cover art bypassed that process. They'll probably set you up with a login on that system, but if you have something for today's fight, just email it. FYI, they need a 400x400 main cover, a 150x150 cover that goes on the front page, and a 100x100 version that is used in the archives.

And certainly, feel free to do cover art... I've been trying to have something turned in by the fight deadline because sometimes that gets the new songs and the new titles posted right away, but I am happy to have other people do the cover art any time!

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
bdog5778
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Schecter Tempest, First Act VW, Sonar, Superior Drummer, Melodyne, Toneport UX8
Submitting as: Metaluna

Post by bdog5778 »

king_arthur wrote:And certainly, feel free to do cover art... I've been trying to have something turned in by the fight deadline because sometimes that gets the new songs and the new titles posted right away, but I am happy to have other people do the cover art any time!
This was my sole purpose for submitting - I hate to have the titles held up by a lack of artwork. Thanks for the nuts & bolts of how to do it in the future.
"In Heavy Metal... Precision is ALL. ALL THINGS TO ALL MEN AT ALL TIMES.... HAHAHA. Yes indeedy." --Slipperman

www.metalunarocks.com
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Cool. The nice thing about submitting the art through the interface (home page - submit art) is that then I can check the "Art Archive" and know that there is (or is not) something there already, and if somebody's already done art, I don't have to throw something together at the last minute.

Charles (KA)
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Hows about that Occupy Wall-Street protestor "Ketchup" from the Colbert Report... she could occupy my heart iykwim iycmd.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

You have a thing for girls with big....... Glasses?
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Yeah i like big glasses and i cannot lie.
Also submitted a coverart with that in mind.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

So I did not use any of the new artists' cover art. Here's why.

1. One submission was a single image, and it was not square. As noted in this thread, there are three sizes required, 400x400, 150x150, and 100x100. It is up to you do design a square image, and to created the smaller ones as well. They don't have to be just the big one resized. They can be crops, related images, or whatnot.

2. The other submission was three files, all the right size. However, the band name of the artist's band was featured at least as prominently as the song title. This is the cover for the whole fight, dingbat, not just your song.

King Arthur wins again, with the simple concept of providing something that we can actually use.

SPUD

edit: whadya know - PiGPEN got it right. But only after I had already posted. Close. Just like with the songs, there IS a time element involved, as well.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
sportswriters
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, bass, keys, a bit of vox, string arrangements, anything really.
Recording Method: Logic/Mac Pro/Kontakt/Waves. Cheap mics rock.
Submitting as: Sportswriters

Post by sportswriters »

Spud wrote:The other submission was three files, all the same size. However, the band name of the artist's band was featured at least as prominently as the song title. This is the cover for the whole fight, dingbat, not just your song.
That was me. The files were 400x400, 150x150 and 100x100 as requested (I just checked). Sorry that I used the band name -- it's not obvious anywhere that this is supposed to be cover art for the entire songfight as opposed to the individual entry. Maybe this should be aded to the FAQ.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

It is 100% obvious. Have you been to the website? Do you see art for individual bands' songs, or for fights? But you are right, I meant to say "all the RIGHT size", not SAME size. My bad. Fixed. Sorry about calling you a dingbat, too. I thought it was less harsh than the traditional "asshat", because I was trying to be nice.
sportswriters
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, bass, keys, a bit of vox, string arrangements, anything really.
Recording Method: Logic/Mac Pro/Kontakt/Waves. Cheap mics rock.
Submitting as: Sportswriters

Post by sportswriters »

If it was 100% obvious I would have realized.
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

Not necessarily. You still have to use your powers of observation to see what's obvious.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

sonofsupercar?!?!?!?!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

what what?!

ps: need bassist.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

Shit, there are some OG's in this fight. Nice!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, very excited about these songs!
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

[*]Occupy Al Gore: I'm a big fan of Ween. I like this song a lot. I mean, I'll never listen to it again, but I have high tolerance for this sorta fuckin around. That outtro is boss.

[*]Occupy Berkeley: Great change up. This song goes well with a glass of red wine. Good chord changes in the slow bit too. I woulda pasted the outtro as an intro to grab the ears. I mean, a couple bars of it. You had a few to spare. :lol: Someone forgot to tag his empeethreez.

[*]Occupy Billy's Pants: Drums aren't matching the groove to me. I don't really have any other feedback here. Kind of a package of great parts that for some reason aren't meshing up.

[*]Occupy See Lane: I dunno.. well done, not my deal. Guitar sounds good, could use some more meat but I think these headphones might be shit.

[*]Occupy Doug's Deals: Was willing to give it a listen but vox turned me off.

[*]Occupy Dirge +/- Sarah: Hmmm... fourth or fifth reverby drum tune in a row. This is a little too pat to be listenable. Roland Digital Desktop Recorder Democore. There, I gave you a genre.

[*]Occupy DJ Also Failed To Tag MP3: I like the spare-ness, but that's a tough melody to carry. I think I'd have enjoyed the intro more acapella, just to remove the contrast with the piano bit, which was entirely superfluous. Yeah, fuck that piano. Dump the track. Voice + Cello = win. And then backwards drums and explosions. And the outtro spoken word bit from Al Gore's tune. This could have ended at "I could occupy you too" and been a little more impactful.

[*]Occupy Generic Bleepcore Stuff: As advertised. Actually, I went back and listened to this again just because I appreciated the timing of the instruments. But it was still pretty uninspired. And you didn't tag your shit. Please tag your shit.

[*]Occupy J*: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Amazing. Needs theramin. Never sing in English again. I bet Spud peed a little when he heard this.

[*]Occupy Jon Eric: I like where your vocals are going, but the message causes me to tune out immediately.

[*]Occupy King Arthur's Music Production Skills: Great drum line. Hilarious stunt guitar lines. Think about dropping some of those bass notes and let that sucker breathe.

[*]Occupy Charlie Whatever's Cover of the Theme From Halloween: :little pukey face:

[*]Occupy Metaluna: Like getting stabbed from all directions at once by a assortment of lances and rapiers labelled things such as "prog rock" and "pop punk."

[*]Occupy Monkey Stabbers: Art! Nice. Tag your fucking mp3. It is Two Thousand Eleven for the sake of fucks. I would give you production notes for the proper recording of smacking your desk legs with a stick, but I don't want to see you sell out to the man.

[*]Occupy Noah: I get the feeling you might be searching with what to do with your voice. This is a good tune, but listen to the American recordings by Johnny Cash 600 or so times before the next songfight. I think you can really kill it, man. Aim for little more sparse, you don't need the pop influence here. Think Gillian Welch.

[*]Occupy Paco: Hah.

[*]Occupy A Fine Cream And Gelatin Dessert Army: Eh, can't really muster an opinion here. Too many songs.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

[*]Occupy PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES. Think about writing lyrics in either metaphor or general abstracts. Come at shit from an angle so you don't come across as some douche pouring his heart out over generic folk progressions.

[*]Occupy Other Band Mentioning Pigs in Band Name: Who doesn't like money and bitches? UH. CHECK EM. This is hilarious. Submit to Adult Swim immediately. Nice job, man.

[*]Occupy Steve Durand's Brother: Great recording. Maybe I'm just over it because I live in the Bay Area, but man... enough with the imagery.

[*]Occupy "Sep": Well this certainly is breathy. I don't think it's going to compel anyone to listen all the way through. [edit] - I listened all the way through. This is fucking terrible.

[*]Occupy Sportswritters: You know, this is not a bad tune to just sit back and listen to. And it blends really well into Statepants' tune.

[*]Occupy Los Angeles: This reminds me a lot of your first tunes - or what I remember your first tunes to be. The very end is the best bit. First two thirds is a little forgettable. Would be fine work as a soundtrack. Or soundscape. Or Trackscape. I dunno man, your voice is too good for this treatment. On the end I was really wanting to hear some of your patented warblecrooning.

[*]Occupy First To Last Tune Alphabetically: Couldn't be more generic if you tried. Did you try? Bubble pop was cute.

[*]Occupy Last Tune Alphabetically: That's the right drums, but too much high hats and cymbal. Make someone sing backup on the chorus. Some talent here, just raw.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Sportswriters:

I've listened to your tune four or five times now. You are good at putting a tune together. Find a drummer and OWN THAT VOCAL TRACK.
Farr Flungg Potatoes
A New Player
Submitting as: Far Flung Potatoes

Post by Farr Flungg Potatoes »

al gore - this is pretty cool i guess the ugly bitches need to be recorded too

bss - doorbell broken; that sucks i have a package for you you should fix it so i can deliver it. do you want to know what it is? its better music lol just kidding not really

billy and the psychotics - FISH STICKS i don't know what that means but ok song

c.layne - good guitar good synth but boring overall too slow i think u should make it faster

dealin doug - fgsfdf

dirge and sara - needs more cowbell

don't reply - me gusta; think i'll vote for this

elephant finger - french lol; think i'll vote for this too

jon eric - testicles. that is all.

king arthur - i liek dis

mccharlie oh - nerdcore is a privilege not a right

metaluna - you sing terribly and i think its really funny. vote why not.

monkey touchers - this is the best thing i have ever heard srsly love the washboard voting for this also

noah mclaughlin - i like the background vocals how many ppl you got in theres? it sounds like a lot

paco del stinko - wow this song has references to nazis and sherlock holmes and csi and the guitar is good you should be president of songfight 4 reelz yo

the panacotta army - i think if you took the title occupy my heart and programmed it into a computer specially designed to autogenerate really generic songs this is what it would come up with.

pigfarmer jr - songs with cello make me want to reflect on things

pigpen - are u still carrying that blanket around oh wait thats linus lol also you suck

ross durand - did you just say something about your gay colon? then you said 'pitch a tent' i think that's pretty funny i guess you are a funny guy

sep - you sound like a rapist thats cool i guess

sound of supercar - i can't understand what your saying so i think i will pretend this song is about vikings yay vikings

sportswaters - urine lol

state shit - you sound like you are from space are you from space i bet you're from space

tony and juan and adam - you guys should have found a fourth guy, and then had him fire the other three guys in your band

the yyarrel brothers band - yeah your the last song on the list so i think im going to go make a sandwich while this plays. yeah, the song is over and i wasn't listening. it was a good sandwich though.