It gets upset easily (Be Careful With That reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: It gets upset easily (Be Careful With That reviews)

Post by Caravan Ray »

Random Review:
PACO DEL STINKO

I am impressed by the quality of the recording.

I don't like the song
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Random Review:

Brown Word and the Big Whine

THis is pretty damn good.

Vocals are a bit weak. Not bad - but need to sell it more - think "I Know What Boys Like" by The Waitresses.

More snotty girlyness- and this would be awesome.
Paco Del Stinko
Stable Diffusion
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Acapella Annie I think this might've neared cuteness if it were only for one pass through, around to resolve and end. Voice is pleasant enough but questionable pitch and too much length makes it more of a struggle to enjoy.

The Anchorage Accord This could fit in an 80's rock and roll fable type movie: Streets Of Fire or some similar thing. There are present day touches throughout that make sure it doesn't sound dated, but it reminds me of an 80's thang, which isn't necessarily bad, to me, anyway. Nice delivery and mood, good recording.

Brown Word and the Big Whine The sleazey synth line is the hook here, and it's great. Love it. Drum sounds are better appreciated on headphones. I like the opened up breaks that allow the song to breathe a bit but would like to hear some more 'regular' singing, meaning more melody, as the voice gets a little mono-tonish. Very good production and arrangement, regardless. Diggit!

Cody Jr. & Ladies Night I think what could've helped this is a better mix, actually. The vocal is too much out front. While that is a good approach for your other songs we've heard so far, I think here it might've been better to give it a Jimmy Miller/Stones mix: voice a part of the band, not out front. The bass line should kick with the bass drum, funk guitar more a part of the rhythm or a percussive element. I actually kind of like the vocal, but it tires quickly.

DJ Ranger Den Moody and dreamy, right where you (frequently) belong. Pretty and heartfelt. Funny how no-one gives you shit for G&P, huh? Right! Because they CAN'T!

Dr Octagon Sloppy Franz Ferdinand. The verses offer hope and a cool, darkish vibe, but the apology in the bridge lyrics wrecks it. I know, no time. But at least finish the theme. I kept my short time suckage consistent this week. C'mon!

A Fluxus of Weasels What is this-J$ and Fluxxm Florvm? Who else? It's fuzzy, fudgy, and fun, if forgetable. I like the promise it holds, though, and enjoy the weird Klaus guy that comes and goes. Try again if it is indeed a new super group. Please! If not a new super group, try again anyway with more focus.

The Kenzie Chickens Another genre display, done well, too. Can't wait for metal and opera weeks to come! Not a hit single, but a club-land dance tune. The envelope filter guitar is nice and skanky, good touch, and the bass tone is nice. This may not get stuck in ones head for long, but it has a nice vibe to it and appears to come from a good place.

Krautnuck Robot dance at the start, but it opens up as it moves along. A bit cold, a bit dark. Great synth tones and Jast's voice is always good, especially when harmonizing. This could fit nicely in a film, under a Driver type story with some killer cruising in a car, reflections on the night-time windshield. Hope you guys take a sharp left turn (sorry for bad pun) and try a bubbly sugar pop tune or something. Good work.

Mickey Skylark Cute and fun, words that do not describe me. :( NIce bridge, nice length and cool little solo done right. The progression works well and the beat and tempo are pleasant. Nice work, sir.

Nobody, et al. Pleasant and mature. Another description that doesn't describe me. :( I like the direction this flows in, although the bridge feels a bit wandery as it starts until it gets its feet underneath itself. I like the arrangement and see no need for backing vocals but maybe a discreet supporting guitar, as the song builds, to offer a little support. Well written, take it around the block again and it'll only get stronger.

Paco del Stinko Written, recorded, and mixed in less than three hours. This is about writing things with a poisoned pen, without thought of consequence.

Pigfarmer Jr This is bright and sunny, begging for a stand-up bass and brushed snare to come and walk down the street together. Is this about a pet? Ha! Hope so, or someone might get upset. Nice little tune, maybe a tad undercooked, but pleasant.

sausage More DEVO than is outright obvious, I think. The production is a little wimpy, but the song is a good foundation on which to build. I like it, if under-baked.

sonofsupercar Gonzo, man. I love the trippy groove and then the descent into darkness. Darkness even trippier, that is. The tempo shifts a bit here and there, and catches itself, but that only adds to the sway. Keep'em coming, you guys have balls.

WreckdoM I was waiting for a baby used as a doorstop, sadly disappointed. This is wonderful and the rubbery torment of the music is a treat to listen to, if not over and over. Too many times, anyway. The sleaze of the vocals is as tasty as chocolate, appropriately enough. Classic, but fresh as well.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mixtral
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

I'm sorry I didn't review this week, I'm pretty inconsistent that way. Let me say in regard to the chicken's and cody's tunes that when I see a band do this kind of shtick live it strikes me as lazy pandering to fill time and jazz up an audience who'll swallow whatever you give them because they already love you and I always find it distasteful. In a prerecorded song, for songfight, no less, I find it pointless and irritating.

The following are entries that won my votes in no particular order:
Mickey Skylark
sonofsupercar
A Fluxus of Weasels
sausage
Brown Word and the Big Whine
mrbeany wrote:WreckdoM: Because we were feeding my baby boy chocolate, your song came up today.

My niece and a friend of the family found your song "strangely catchy."

My wife said it made her nauseous. My wife likes her songs clean and predictable. (We have musical taste in common -- My musical tastes are mostly a superset of her tastes.)

I think when the holidays come around a lot more of my family will be introduced to it. My wife kind of hates how almost everything reminds me of song Song Fight song. From now on (or at least until something better comes along) any time babies and chocolate are mentioned, I'll be thinking of this song.
Thanks for sharing this with me, it totally made my day. I can't recomend that you make a habit of sharing our entries with your family, by and large we are not kid friendly, but you may want to check out our rendition of ABCD Puppies, and if you like that, then check out Paco Del Stinko's vastly superior cover.
jast wrote:
WreckdoM Well done, but please do something I like next time.
C:2 L:3 F:4 P:4 M:4 Total: 17/25
Don't hold your breath. Thanks for the kind words though.
j$ wrote:
WreckdoM
I asked for this, I suppose. *VOTE* *TRIPLE VOTE IF I KNEW HOW TO DO THAT, AND IF YOU WEREN'T TRYING TO DO A RESIDENTS WITHOUT REALLY UNDERSTANDING WHAT MAKES THEM GREAT, BUT STILL, A VOTE IS A VOTE, RIGHT?* Seriously this very good, but a few steps short of genius, cos you're trying too hard. One day, Wreckdom, one day ...
It's true, we made this per your request. Rather than appeal to the masses we appealed solely to your mass. I don't think we were intentionally trying to channel the residents, but, for the record, I absolutley do know what makes them so great. And, if anyone wants to request we go in a certain direction, go ahead and ask, we'll probably give it a shot, just for you!
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
jast
Grok
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

codywalkerjr wrote:1)-this can happen when you listen to music with headphones
Yes, but it only happens with poorly mixed songs. Gosh, you can do a poor mix in 15 minutes? Amazing!
2)Well, me and my friends thought it was funny...Especially considering i've been kicking out country songs for years
Okay, but see, there's probably context that makes it funny, and we don't have that context handy. I'm all for having fun with making music, but I do think about whether it will come across that way before I actually publish a fun project. I haven't always managed to predict correctly, but at least I try. A good 50% of my ideas for Song Fight never actually make it to the site. You're welcome.
3- its supposed to. I was playing the role of a sex-crazed frontman with no real musical talent. He grabs the uke and plays a dissonant chord to attact a woman
But it sounds completely off in the mix. Even if lack of musical talent is by design, if it sticks out like a sore thumb due to mixing decisions it won't seem to be by design. That isn't to say it should blend into the background, but at least it shouldn't sound like it was recorded on a different planet. Mess up the room sound at your own peril.
How many times have you seen a terrible band performing but they think they are REALLY GOOD?
I have, so far, successfully avoided ever finding myself in that kind of situation.
I try to never take music too seriously, because then people like J$ pick you apart :(
They do anyway. Some of my songs that I took very seriously get some not-very-favourable reviews. But so what? None of us here are authorities. I know what worked exactly as I wanted it to, so I can easily ignore the misguided parts of reviews and take the rest on board for future projects.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that — for me, at least — having fun making music is nice, and having fun making music that I can be proud of to some extent is awesome.
codywalkerjr
Alpaca
Instruments: Drums/Percussion/Guitar/Vox/Pedal Steel/synth
Recording Method: Reaper/ID44
Submitting as: Cody Walker Jr./Longfellow Street/Golden Echo
Pronouns: Private

Post by codywalkerjr »

j$ wrote:
codywalkerjr wrote: I try to never take music too seriously, because then people like J$ pick you apart :(
Oof, sensitive much? I pulled your song apart this week because it thinks it's funny and charming, but isn't, and therefore it comes across as unbearably smug. Now move on. If you can't stand my heat, then prove me wrong by cooking up something I'll find delicious in your kitchen this week.
this week submission is much better, but you probly won't like it :p
codywalkerjr
Alpaca

Post by codywalkerjr »

jast wrote: 1)Yes, but it only happens with poorly mixed songs. Gosh, you can do a poor mix in 15 minutes? Amazing!

2) A good 50% of my ideas for Song Fight never actually make it to the site. You're welcome.

3)But it sounds completely off in the mix.,

4)it shouldn't sound like it was recorded on a different planet.

5)I have, so far, successfully avoided ever finding myself in that kind of situation.

6) I can easily ignore the misguided parts of reviews and take the rest on board for future projects.

7)I guess what I'm trying to say is that — for me, at least — having fun making music is nice, and having fun making music that I can be proud of to some extent is awesome.
Response to above comments,
1) Poorly mixed is an overstatement considering some folks submit acapella songs recorded on a laptop microphone, and yes i can do a poor mix in 15 minutes. Besides music i have a job and kids so i didnt have a ton of time this week

2)Thanks for the unsolicited advice. But if im gonna spend a couple of hours in my studio writing a song i can never play live, I am going to submit it.

3) But as I said before , ITS SUPPOSED TO! . Its on the same track as the vocal track. i grabbed it off the wall while tracking and strummed it into the vocal mic

4)I actually recorded it on Planet Earth, in the southeastern continent of North Americas. the inhabitants there are very freindly They invitied me to use their recording studio.

5) Interesting

6) I'm doing the same

7)Yes, You are saying It could have been good, but isnt, I could have spent an extra few hours on it, and it still probably wouldnt have clicked for some people. Every band/comedian/entertainer has a venue that works for them, this song did not work in this venue,

Cheers and Thanks for you review!
codywalkerjr
Alpaca

Post by codywalkerjr »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:[b
Cody Jr. & Ladies Night I think what could've helped this is a better mix, actually. The vocal is too much out front. While that is a good approach for your other songs we've heard so far, I think here it might've been better to give it a Jimmy Miller/Stones mix: voice a part of the band, not out front. The bass line should kick with the bass drum, funk guitar more a part of the rhythm or a percussive element. I actually kind of like the vocal, but it tires quickly.

Thanks Paco, Your production was spot on this week! Trey from Longfellow Street told me I should pull Vocals back in my mixes as well. I did on "Father Child Reunion".
codywalkerjr
Alpaca

Post by codywalkerjr »

j$ wrote:
1)Oof, sensitive much?

2)I pulled your song apart this week because it thinks it's funny and charming, but isn't,

3)If you can't stand my heat, then prove me wrong by cooking up something I'll find delicious in your kitchen this week.

1) Just a bit surprised that you get so fired up about my song. kind of flattering.

2) I just talked to my song, He told me that he " had a few beers and was only having a good time". No harm intended.

3)I wouldnt consider it heat, just pointless nagging :) But if you enjoy Rock n Roll, fueled by civil issues and visitation rights , you may find this weeks submission appetizing

cheers and thanks for the review.