Strictly Speaking, let's move on (Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Strictly Speaking, let's move on (Reviews)

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Paco Del Stinko wrote: No offense to the wonderful (and MIA) Starfinger. .
he lives in tennessee, has 3 kids, and told me the other day: "i want to do a songfight". stay tuned.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Paco and Grid, thanks for the reviews. For the record, my track was recorded from Glenn Case's camera at the official Song Fight Live event. You only get one shot, so I'm sorry if the levels aren't right, but that was far outside the realm of my control.

nobodyetal, thank you for the extra effort you put in to be able to hear my lyrics. I've forgotten to post them to the lyrics thread; I'll get on that shortly.

EDIT: Well, oops. There's a "missing" line. But most of the lyrics are there.
Last edited by JonPorobil on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Bill: That's great if Starfinger can get time to do a song, I dighis stuff.

Jon Eric: Understood. Did you work on the song before going to Seattle?
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Jon Eric: Understood. Did you work on the song before going to Seattle?
A little. Most of the music was composed at home. I shored up some structural bits and most of the lyrics in the Octothorpe studio between other people's practice sets.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

The Kenzie School for Wayward Chickens: starts sounding promising....don't let me down. Thank you, you have deliver Mr Blues man. yup, possible best song on the fight. Gets my vote. great example of good writing and song development, by intruding a new angle every time, and keeping the lyrics interesting.

Manhattan Glutton: this song was a trip listening to it live... glad you re recorded, and added new guitar parts. you got the whole comic riff rock thing down. Possible vote.

JB and Sam: the lyrics on this, are a winner in my book. not to mention JBs powerful voice. Possible vote.

FauX: i like this, mellow lofi. Wish your voice did not sound so much like a bot. what kind of Fx is that on vox? i hope that’s not your natural voice, it be very aggravating to have a conversation with you. Smart, brining on the piano.. i like the vibe of this, make me feel like on Prozac. Possible vote.

New Image: that guitar sounds like shit, but i like this song.. great singer, with a strong melody. Seriously get a new guitar tone/fx.
could this song have worked better without the guitar altogether? just bass, drums and synths ? probably in my book. Possible vote. Looking forward to hearing more from New Image.

Nobody, et al: this sounds pretty. Really good soft smooth voice. Guitar picking starts sounding repetitive ~1:25 ... harmonica does a late emergency rescue from getting boring... harmonica part its too short. awful recording of the harmonica outro. Overall very nice. Possible vote.

Paco del Stinko: Paco is such a nut, for doing all these voices. puppeteer at one point? Not your best production work, but guitars are sharp like always. Funny, your songs sound very Russian to me, as in brute, in your face, non apologetic without being punk. Weird story in the lyrics.

Hip Hop Anonymous: it feels like i fell asleep and i missed something.. Oh well.

Jon Eric: piano sounds a bit Generic (get it!). Like the lyrics and overall theme, and the piano chords work very well with these lyrics.
too many "Strictly speaking" in the chorus.. Even tho you get some great rhymes like "know the rules of the game". its has times of some really good melody, just needed more song development.

Berkeley Social Scene: like the bouncy rhythm, and crunch guitars. Wish it was more melodic. Like the drum rolls, and overall drums.
perfect song length, for its structure.

roymond: love the main guitar riff, the song has a very Beatles vibe. sounds like it’s fun to sing. Sounds premature, wish it was bit longer, with more parts; with backup harmonies on the "That could be...[love]?"

Hoglen & Wages: good to hear that wages is still around... and sounding the same. did you guys record the guitars with a cell phone? Even tho i could hear wages sing for 4 minutes, due to the poor recording and lack of instrumentation... too long.

Sockpuppet: wow, pretty personal song. i think you jump to quickly to the theme of the lyrics (moving back to Seattle), then the entire song becomes "i'm moving back to Seattle" without proving any contrast.

Greggers Inc.: liking the strumming, intro.. oh no, once you start singing, am terribly afraid, this song will dragggg on with the same rhythm and melody... it does. Good voice, melody, and guitar.... oh now your shouting into my right ear.. nice. too boring. song too long, or needs more parts to keep it interested.

TV's Tile: hey i remember TVs Kyle! intro reminds me of a happy Magnetic Fields (if that’s possible). this is actually pretty good, once you follow with the lyrics. like the horn sections, and its arrangements. wish it was 1:20 in length.

Gloop: thanks for keeping it short. Reminds me of too Shorty - I'm a playa. Kind of funny.

The Lamentors: lounge music yeah. Wish the music was louder, and better mixed. Music sounds very weak, and without power, on what should be a very moving and jamming song. very good female singer, with catchy melodies.

Grid: you sound a bit like Ross Duran.. very good singing and guitar playing. saddpy at times boring, with spots of good lyrics.

WreckdoM: did you guys use generic drumloop 1 or generic drumloop 2? ahh both... tricky bastards. i don't know if this is a complement, but this sounds more polish than the WreckdoM i remember years ago. best part: "but i did it anyway..."

Birt Krinstin: lofi 90s style song? semi catchy, gets boring towards the end, like you rand out of ideas. actually gets kind of annoying.

Add: i was really surprised by how well of a voice your friend has.. Husky and full, i can listen to her sing more often. As for the song, i would like to hear this without the lead guitar wankering, and more Atari sounds.

The HATE Noise: yey, i hate the noise. add a harp next time.

Glenn Case: wish you had posted lyrics, otherwise your guitar strumming sounds impeccable. :(

The Lookouts: don't know what’s going on here musically.. Are you playing a song from every decade?....i can't put my finger on this, it’s odd, and actually good. it feels like it wants to go in 5 different directions all at once, but it never does. Too long.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

strickly speaking- front -a-bit- you the man