We Sound Like Each Other's Reviews

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
hillbilly

Re: We Sound Like Each Other's Reviews

Post by hillbilly »

Hate you are soo rude, I'm a fan, enjoyed this.vote.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Billymojo wrote:But good news. I just ordered UAD-2. Now I just gotta control myself and not bust the bank on plugins or were talkin' D-I-V-O-R-C-E!
I can't say enough good things about UAD. I find the plugins I use the most are LA2A, Cambridge EQ, Pultec, Plate, and Space Echo.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Moejoe Allstar----was that zz top opening with a Gibson sg, tube amp or effects? like that sound.
Billymojo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Hello Kitty Squire, nose flute, belly fat
Recording Method: Mr. Microphone and Folgers can for reverb
Submitting as: The Kenzie Chickens, The Kenzie School, The Mojoville Allstars

Post by Billymojo »

hillbilly wrote:Moejoe Allstar----was that zz top opening with a Gibson sg, tube amp or effects? like that sound.
Thanks for listenin'.
The boogie beat is my alltime favorite groove. I could play it all night long and have had fantasies of being in a band that played only boogie. The question is what to do with it? Where to go beyond no chord changes whatsoever or a simple 1-4-5? But what gets me is the continual references to ZZ Top, as if they invented the groove. I'm unclear on who played it before John Lee Hooker, but I hear it when the local blues program plays old stuff. I presume it was a club staple. Then in 1968 or so Canned Heat pretty much based their career on the boogie groove, usually forgoing chord changes during long jams. War played some boogie before settling into their Cisco Kid groove. I suppose it's a generational thing. I kinda missed ZZ, but their single boogie tune makes the rotation on our classic rock station.
To answer your question, I played it on a Strat with Suhr Fletcher-Landau pickups (best Strat pickups I've ever heard) recorded direct with effects via Waves GTR3. The patch is intended to emulate a Fender 1963 blackface, with some compression and spring reverb added.
"We're not building airplanes here."
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

I think this is the first fight (that I've been in) that I'm not getting full reviews in for; I could make some excuses, but instead I'll just tell you who I gave votes to:

The HATE Noise (featuring DarkStarr) - Lots of great sounds here and the rapping is pretty darn good. I dig it.

The Mojoville Allstars - The first couple of minutes are decidedly lofi but it still draws me in with a nice dreamy atmosphere. Lots of personality in the vocals. ... I'm not so big on the blues rock bit... my vote is really for the first part.

Paco Del Stinko - I feel like you do what you do so well that even though it's not particularly my thing, I want to vote for it. Excellent production & musicianship. And the vocals work for this style. I like the quiet breakdown bit at about 1:40 the most.

Schizophonics - Nice. I was ready to vote for it before the chorus bit came in... but that solidified my choice. This is good... I think I prefer the style/sound of the The HATE Noise track as far as the sound, but this one has the catchy chorus bit which probably puts it over the top out of the two (I like them both... just comparing the two rap tracks.)
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Congrats guys!
Seems like the 1st half of a back to back.
Awesome songs!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

straight limmping at the half way house. dig that, yall spray'n sum shit.