French Culinary Reviews. Cheers!

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

French Culinary Reviews. Cheers!

Post by Spud »

As penance for my lateness in posting the title, I have made both the review thread and the artwork this week. Don't get used to it.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
hillbilly

Re: French Culinary Reviews. Cheers!

Post by hillbilly »

Hate--- i like this
MisterQuoons
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Armpit noises, loud yelps, mouse organ
Recording Method: kerosene-powered Edison phonograph
Submitting as: Elton John

Post by MisterQuoons »

Wow, I'm really the first one to write up a batch of reviews? Okay. Here they are, in no particular order.

Young Stroke - I didn't think I was going to like this, but then I did. That nerdcore rap sound is a hard thing to pull off, because you have to take yourself exactly the right amount of not seriously, and you are one of the few I've heard who manage to get it diggity down. Also, I'm saving this. Word to your mother.

Odilon Green - like the use of the upright bass; really, all the instrumentation is good. What with the opening guitar strumming and all I thought this was going to be a dull ballady sort of thing, and was quite pleasantly surprised to find out it was a funky folk/rap, spoken word kind of thing. All together, I quite enjoyed.

Wreckdom - Damn, this is the third thing in a row that I thought was fantastic, and the third thing in a row that I've saved. This is a good fight. I'm glad I popped in for this. Nice smooth funky jam with Fat Albert on vocals, going off about french toast. What the hell could there possibly be not to like? I might vote for this; I don't know, I'll have to hear everything else first.

The Chocolate Chips - I like the lead guitar in the beginning and as fill parts, but I feel like the way it drones throughout gets kind of annoying. Has kind of an early to mid sixties vibe to me, vaguely reminiscent of like maybe the Animals or something, or at least that's how I'm hearing it. Not the most memorable song I've ever heard, but definitely pleasant and listenable.

Hate Noise - Damn, ANOTHER track I'm going to have save. This fight is the shit so far. Not only is this a good track on its own, its the second rap song I've heard so far in a single fight, and both have been good. I won't even lie, I'm going to bump this when I'm driving. Then, I'm going to run up on some teenagers blasting Lil Wayne or techn9ne or something equally god awful, and yell "FRENCH TOAST, BITCH!" and then drive off. I have no negative criticism of this at all; the rap is good, the beat is good, the sampling is good, the production is good. Go ahead and pour a forty out for yourself. Or don't. I forget if pouring a forty out indicates a positive or a negative response to something. Either way, nice song.

Jim Tyrell - This is a pretty good song for the type of thing that it is. I tend not to be the world's biggest acoustic folky-type ballad fan. it's not that I dislike acoustic ballady folk music exactly, I just find that I hear entirely too much of it, both within songfight and in general, and it's pretty seldom that I hear anything that stands out from the umpteen billion other people doing the same thing. It's just sort of a genre that I feel has done just about everything its going to do. Anyway, with all that said, this is good. Your singing and playing are both competent, better than mine would be were I ever to attempt to perform a song that wasn't 90% computer-generated, at any rate, so you obviously know what you're doing. I like your voice, too. A little sad and mournful, but you don't overdo it. That's very much a good thing for this type of music. This isn't the type of thing I would necessarily listen to, but I think it is the sort of thing I might put on and have on in the background if I was in a mood of some kind.

Chadderandom abyss - Woot! I've not heard anything from you in a good long while, although I haven't really been around here much myself lately. In any event, I always enjoy your abstract sound collages, and I will be adding this one to my Chadderandom folder.

Stacco Del Pinko - Much like Chadderandom, you're another chap whose work I tend to enjoy pretty consistently. I find I enjoy this one especially; it has a very avant punk sort of vibe to it which is the kind of thing that is up many of my alleys simultaneously, like a drunk bitch on prom night. I like the "burritoes" chorus. I didn't really hear anything about french toast, but I wasn't paying the closest attention to the lyrics, except for the burrito part. In any event, I can't say I've ever been the kind of person to subtract points for veering off of the subject, if anything, I award them for that. All in all I quite enjoyed.

Dani House - Many of the comments I gave Jim Tyrell apply to your song as well, although to be honest I think I enjoyed his song a bit more than yours. No offense. This is pretty much a pleasant, appealing, middle of the road sort of a folk-pop tune, of the sort that I tend to feel sounds like music a person could pop Ritalin to. It goes down smooth enough; your playing and singing are good, and the recording is good, but at the same time nothing about it really jumps out at me, it just sort of sounds like a billion other songs by a billion other artists. Again, this is mostly a style preference on my part. I also think that your handling of the subject matter was a tad uncreative, I mean, let's face it, French Toast isn't the most interesting thing in the world to write a song about, so I feel like maybe you could have tried to take a more creative spin on it to make it more interesting. Wreckdom's song is a good example of a way to take a boring title and make it fun and quirky. Altogether, though, this was a competently written and performed song, even if it's not the most adventurous thing I've ever heard.

berkeley social scene - stylistically, I feel roughly the same way about this that I do about Dani House's piece, although it has a little more in its sound to characterize it as yours. I think we've established over time that our musical ideologies tend to be at odds a lot of the time, so I won't dwell on matters of style preferences. I actually thought the guitar solo was very good; I quite enjoyed it. You're all pretty good players, at any rate. The bass on this one also stood out for me. My chief criticism is mostly a technical one pertaining to the recording itself. I think that the chorus or hookline or whatever it is where you go "bread bread, put it in the pan," etc, should probably hit a little harder. You might want to double up the guitar at that point, or change effects maybe; do something to punctuate it so it hits a little harder for emphasis, rather than just playing the whole song straight through as a band doing a single performance. I guess that depends on the level of production you want to put into this song, I guess. Don't know if this was just a quickie recording, or even if you intend to do a second draft of this, but anyway, that's my take on it.

styop quoons - I never quite understood why people bother to write up reviews of their own songs, as if anyone besides them is actually going to end up reading it, but what the fuck; I do it pretty much all the time, so why not? Here is my derpy review of my own song. Who wants to read it? Probably nobody, but I'm writing it anyway. I kind of decided at the last minute to enter this fight, so pretty much everything about this was rushed. For what its worth, I think this turned out to be quite a nice little song, and I'm probably going to rework it somewhat and keep it. <shameless plug>It may make it onto my next album, Frozen Glue, which is in the works </shameless plug>. I have no idea what other people will think of the lyrics, but I really like them. I tend to deliberately obfuscate meaning when I write lyrics, and these ones are particularly abstract; however, I think I conveyed what I was trying to convey, at least as far as I'm concerned. If you don't get it, suffice it to say that it's meant to be a nice song about my Mom and my early childhood. She made me french toast for breakfast a lot. Points if you know where the sample is from, btw. Alright, that's enough pompous drivel from you, Quoons. Testicles.
Crunchy frog. Tiny green beads. Sapphire bullets of pure poop. Available only from MUFFIN.
When in Rome, be sure to visit http://www.therealmuffin.net
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

WreckdoMelle and King Colon of WreckdoM reporting for Songfight review…

BSS – Funny and catchy chorus. A nice, cheerful song.

Chadderandom Abyss – Annoying, unlistenable, on purpose. Not 100% without promise, but we didn’t like it.

Dani House – Whimsical guitars, and liberal use of textural percussion. Neat key change. What that song needed was a finishing section prominently featuring some Sam Kinnison samples, says KC.

Jim Tyrell – Hey, this is quality! Are you a professional? Because this is a gooder. Evenly mixed, great lyrics, all the pieces fit together nicely, sweet key changes.

Odilon Green – Cute song.

Paco Del Stinko – Ooh, I like this. Treading near WreckdoM territory here. Nice long feedback-y noise, King Colon likes, it’s weird, it sounds good, and it has something reminiscent of Jello Biafra.

Styop Quoons – Quietly mixed, sort of hard to hear and dominated by the midi percussion. New wavy sounding. Edit: new-wave = good.

The Chocolate Chips – One is always safe with The Chocolate Chips. Melodic, sweet, non-threatening.

The HATE Noise – Need more exciting loops, not much going on here. There is a lot of hiphop played in WreckdoMelle and King Colon's domicile; we had high hopes.

WreckdoM – King Colon liked doing this one. We’ve done a lot of songs and not all of them have been our favorites but this is one. The horns were fun. They were canned professional horns, unlike the baritone horn on “I Blame You Entirely”, which was played by the amateur-hornist WreckdoMelle. I actually had no hand in the creation of this song other than to tell the boys it didn’t need much else after the first session.

Young Stroke – Fre-ench toast whoa-oa. Silly!
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

jim- like that, vote.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Hate next time yall leave the projects, pick me up, double vote.
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

IN ORDER OF MUSICAL GOODNESS. TOP THREE GET VOTES.

:mrgreen: Dani House:

+ I gave you a higher ranking than Jim Tyrrell mostly because I just like your style on this recording more, not sure it's actually a better a song.
+ Nice percussion / loose feel.
+ I like your voice.

:mrgreen: Jim Tyrrell:

+ Nice, but I'm not sure if it's more than nice. It doesn't make a huge impression on me, this is probably just a "not my cup of tea" sort of deal than anything really being wrong with it.
+ Despite what I just said, this is getting a high ranking as I'm trying to rank the songs objectively and I think this is among the best songs in an objective sort of way.
+ Good guitars & vocals. No obvious problems.
+ Impressive that you managed to work the title into the lyrics without making it a really silly song (like pretty much everyone else... including The Chocolate Chips)

:mrgreen: The HATE Noise:

+ I like the heavy bass rhythm. This sounds pretty menacing. I dig it.
+ The lyrics are ridiculous, but that's to be expected. I got a kick out of them anyway.

Paco del Stinko:

- Song Fight lyrics tend to be silly, this fight is worse than usual because of the silly title I guess... I think I just need to completely ignore the lyrics when listening to these songs. (I'd prefer people ignore my lyrics too.. I guess some think lyrics are really important... but to me on these song fights.. they aren't ... to me they they're just there to prove that we wrote the song for this fight... off on a tangent, eh?)
+ Musically this is pretty impressive.
+ I dig the tremolo guitar opening/breaks.
+ Great production.

WreckdoM:

+ The drums are cool.
+ The "Hi, my name's French Toast" section is a good bit of weirdness.
+ I think this is one of my favorite WreckdoM tracks I've heard. It seems more musical than some of your other tracks which makes it more enjoyable for me.

Berkeley Social Scene:

+ The instrumentation is good.
+ I like the verse vocals, nice stretched notes.
- I'm not as much of a fan of the chorus, maybe if I just ignored the lyrics I'd think it was OK. But it seems a bit filler.
+ I do dig the guitar leads. Nice.

Young Stroke:

+ Clean clear production & vocals.
- I can't get into this sort of cutesy rap thing so it's hard for me to give constructive feedback.

styop quoons:

- Too soft, entire song sounds like it's under a blanket. Sounds less like an effect and more like poor production technique.
- Vocals are indiscriminate. Sounds like you're going for a Pink Floyd type vocal sound, but the vocals need to be much louder in the mix and more forcefully sung.
- The song doesn't really go anywhere.

Odilon Green:

+ The sentiment is nice.
- There's not much going on here musically.

The Chadder:

+ The style reminds me of very early Beck (Stereopathetic Soulmanure.)
- I think you can get away with doing really wacked out things like this if you have a little nugget of song/melody in there that makes it work... I don't hear that in this recording.
RockinJTB
A New Player

Post by RockinJTB »

Since this is my first time actually posting a review, I'd like to say thanks to all the artists for their music and submissions. I have been a lurker at Song Fight for a while now but decided to chime in and review on some of the great stuff I have been enjoying. And what a better way to start than with a subject about one of our favorite breakfast foods, French Toast. The overall quality of songs this week were very good. High marks as well overall with creativity. I think those that actually hate french toast are few and far between and this weeks submissions reflect that. So without further ado, here goes.

Berkeley Social Scene
So what to do for breakfast in a pinch after a romantic night? Of course..french toast!! This song in my mind is the definitive pop/rock anthem for fans of french toast. Catchy lyrics with a great stereophonic guitar sound that seems to surround you. This song is very well constructed, it simply rocks.

The Chadderandom Abyss
Strangely, I enjoyed listening to the randomness of this song. Frankly, in this group, it is at the bottom of the pack. Did I just eat a bad slice of French toast and then dream into the abyss...

The Chocolate Chips
I really like the vocals in this song, they go very well with the music. The lyrics are also very interesting, it sounds like the story of someone in an altered mental state. Not quite sure if the lyrics mean anything, but that's what pulls you in, trying to figure it out. Is it that they don't teach you to eat chicken and french toast off the floor at school? Overall not a bad effort from the Chips.

Dani House
How addicting is french toast? Danihouse answers this burning question in a modern folk tune about french toast. Great voice, you can hear his disdain and melancholy that goes along with great tight instrumentation. This song accomplishes what it sets to portray, kudos. Please just don't wash my syrup down the drain.

The HATE Noise (featuring Big Stretch)
The Hate lives up to their name in this rap track. This song features Heavy beats and explicit lyrics that mostly miss the beat. The bass is heavily distorted in this song, but perhaps that was the intent of the artist. Even though I don't give this song high marks overall, it does provide some funny one liners that makes it worth listening to the song at least once. Excuse me while I get high off of some crystal light.

Jim Tyrrell
This song is top notch musically, lyrically, sound and production quality wise. The guitar sounds crisp, clear and really stands out. It is mixed nicely with vocals and a well played base. Amazingly these 3 elements are all that's needed to make this song a winner. While listening to the song I caught myself being drawn into the feelings and meaning of the song. I was yearning to be at the breakfast table with the ones I love, eating a wonderful breakfast. This is one of those rare songs on SF that as is, is ready for release.

Odilon Green
This sentimental song about grandfathers and fathers preparing French Toast for their offspring, is excellent on so many levels. First off the sound quality is the best of the bunch this week. Mixed to perfection, each instrument adds to the enjoyment of this track. I love how new instruments are added as the song progresses. Having the bongos make use of both right and left speakers at perfect moments was a great touch added to the song. Unlike others who reviewed this song, I have to say there is a lot going on musically here. Secondly, the story, lyrics and voice presentation are great. The progressing story seems to go along perfectly with the underlying music. And the filtered voice used during the chorus, sounds like a grandfathers voice speaking from the past or in Odilon's distant memories. I enjoyed the touch at the end where the storytellers voice slowly overtakes the voice of the past and brings us to the present. Mr. Green I salute you for a wonderful listening experience.

Paco del Stinko
This song is about a guy who overdoses on greasy burritos, sporting a speedo, and somehow ends up passed out at the beach. Musically you can hear the desperation of greasy burrito man. I like the bass in this tune, great bass player. I didn't hear any mention of french toast though, I guess the guy was passed out over breakfast.

styop quoons
A pleasant electronic tune that sounds like it was made in the 80s. This is not a bad thing as I liked listening to it. However, this song gets ruined by the badly recorded/mixed too soft incoherent lyrics. Maybe having Spock or captain kirk say french toast periodically to the background music would have worked much better.

WreckdoM
Cool song to listen to. I like the use of the trumpet, as it slowly rolls along. Blue cheese talking about his friend french toast was really imaginative. The blueberry thing at the end sounds a bit weird, albeit creative at the end. However this song definitely does not sound like it came out of someones "wreckdom."

Young Stroke aka Young Muscle
Totally, Throw some of that Young Stroke aka Young Muscle in the bag! This song was great to listen to from beginning to end. A fun lighthearted rap that is the only song to touch on the idea that french toast is really "french." Stroke really uses his voice talents on this song, and I believe shows he could do work as a voice over talent.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

RockinJTB wrote:This song is about a guy who overdoses on greasy burritos, sporting a speedo, and somehow ends up passed out at the beach. Musically you can hear the desperation of greasy burrito man. I like the bass in this tune, great bass player. I didn't hear any mention of french toast though, I guess the guy was passed out over breakfast.
Welcome aboard, JTB, and thanks for the comments. Explanation time. In this song the character is named Jean Pierre. Cheap, but French. Or Haitian. Either of which work in a beach setting. However, as a youth and beyond, I spent time at Hampton Beach, New Hampshire, which is very popular for visitors from French speaking Quebec, Canada. They always stand out on the beach for wearing Speedos. So in this song, Jean Pierre gorges on burritos and falls asleep in the sun, where he gets toated. Lame, perhaps, but definitely inspired by the title. So there.

And I am the bass player, so thanks for the remarks. :)
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Jean Pierre gorges on burritos and falls asleep in the sun, where he gets toated
....which would have been great if the title was about a hand bag from gay Paree. :P

By the way, I got your clever title reference as soon as you said toasted. Boxes were thought outside of, as it were.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Great minds, Chris. Great minds. Thanks to all who commented, I have been insanely busy and apolgize for not getting my remarks in. Perhaps late, hopefully, but if not you all KNOW I'll make it up to youse, right? Kisses!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

Hello there! How are you?

Some reviews:

Hate Noise: I'm not usually a rap guy or a swear word guy, but for doing things that I don't normally like this is effective. As I was listening I could hear this being blared from the car behind me at a red light, I could hear it through my closed windows and I'd be looking around trying to figure out which other vehicle it was coming from. That's a compliment by the way. That being said it came up short of getting my vote.

Styop: Vocals are mixed down too low for me to understand. I do like the effect of the voice with the music, just that I wish it were louder, maybe more of an even mix. The sounds all work well for me and except for the mix I could hear this fitting in with 80's electronic music.

Dani House: I like this song alot, really alot. It's a great song and the way it's put together is very neat and clever. Your voice matches the words and music very well, mix is clean and balanced well. Great use of the title to write a good song. VOTE!

BSS: It sounds like a mash-up of Beatles and metal. I like the Beatles part of it more than the metal part. I thought the lyrics are clever and the music is good but they don't marry together as well for me as I was hoping for. The outtro does the "bread bread" thing about five or six more times than it should, if it banged it out shorter it would be better.

Odilon: An interesting mix of styles and instruments and all well produced, but not something I liked enough to vote for.

WreckdoM: I'm still not a rap guy, but I have to admire the energy and cleverness that went into this. Great lyrics and voices and mix. VOTE!

Paco: I got the sense that you were getting this one out and done very quickly, which isn't always a bad thing. In this case it's just kinda below average for the level of writing you normally provide, and didn't have any of the great guitar playing I like from you, so it didn't do anything from me, which is unusual when I listen to your songs.

C-Abyss: I know I haven't been around in a long, long time. But when I am I try, I really try, to listen to every entry in it's entirety. I couldn't listen to your song for more than 20 seconds. I'm sorry.

C-Chips: I enjoyed this song. A good combination of music, beat, lyrics and presentation with the pauses in the instruments. Vocals match well. Odd and interesting lyrics. Perfect song length. VOTE!

Young Stroke: On the edge of a vote. Clever lyrics and good production, although I found the nerdy vocals a bit annoying. Song could have won my vote with a bit more musical stuff going on. A bit too long too.

Jim Tyrell: My favorite song of the fight. A great autobiographical song, and whether it's true or not isn't important. I would learn this one and play it myself, it sounds like something I've liked forever. VOTE!

Happy New Year!

John K.
SirkusPi
A New Player
Submitting as: Odilon Green

Post by SirkusPi »

My first SongFight and . . . zero votes (other than my own)! Oh well, nowhere to go but up . . . :D
MisterQuoons
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Armpit noises, loud yelps, mouse organ
Recording Method: kerosene-powered Edison phonograph
Submitting as: Elton John

Post by MisterQuoons »

SirkusPi wrote:My first SongFight and . . . zero votes (other than my own)! Oh well, nowhere to go but up . . . :D
Don't let it get you down; I've been entering these stupid things since 2008 and I've still never broken the 8 vote barrier, let alone winning. :lol:

If nobody votes for you, it just means your work is too sophisticated for people to get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhCGKGBrMPI
Crunchy frog. Tiny green beads. Sapphire bullets of pure poop. Available only from MUFFIN.
When in Rome, be sure to visit http://www.therealmuffin.net
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

http://youtu.be/JQAbzyRlyec

Finally finished off this video I started over a year ago.

enjoy!

Glen
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

I like it, Glennny!