Pokin' Holes In Your Tune (Dodged A Bullet Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Pokin' Holes In Your Tune (Dodged A Bullet Reviews)

Post by blue »

winrar. +++
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Pokin' Holes In Your Tune (Dodged A Bullet Reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Nice to have c.layne and Brad back in Song Fight! action. I'd gladly lose to you guys more often! ;)
CordSmith
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, bass, piano, drums, pennywhistle
Recording Method: Logic, Scarlett 18i20
Submitting as: Cord Smith, Skadaddle, Hardmonica

Post by CordSmith »

Skadaddle: I was astonished to find out that there was never a ska band with this name.. so there you go. A juvenile cross-country romp. And yes, I rhymed time with time.

Berkeley Social Scene: Love it right off. Vocals are a little dry, would love to hear them more reverby, particularly on the bridge. Still, minor minor points. Great song. Love the complimentary guitars.

The Lookouts: Love the style. Love when the ride comes in and fills in some of the space. This song is super fun. I want to drink to this.

Foobar: Vocals a bit hot and dry. Awesome melody. This is great stuff. Like the ending twinkles.

Paco del Stinko: Cool harmonies. The melody goes places that surprise me in a good way. Good times here. Great band name.

Tyler Zahnke: I love that I can hear the key clicks. Once I recorded electric bass while mic-ing the strings and got some really cool sounds out of it. Got a real cinematic vibe from this.

Economy Biscuits: I already told him this, but I love the song and wish it was longer. Add a verse or two. Amazing that this is all done on an ipad in-between changing baby diapers.

Chips Abbot and Ray: Main vox seem hot. So much going on, would like more dynamics. Ahh, there it is. Diggin' this gothy second part.

LHKM: Love this melody and sound. Don't like hearing your lips smacking. Great harmony on the chorus. This song makes me feel sweetly sad. Dig it.

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints: I imagine the lyrics are pretty amusing/interesting, but I'll have to read em to understand most of em.

TRJones: singer/songwriter roots, baby! It's refreshing to hear just some guitar and some singin'. So often we get bogged down in all our plugins and software instruments that it becomes a mush. Feel the heart here.

Sonofsupercar: I am a fan. Judging from this song and the last week, I would listen to whole albums of this.

DJ Ranger Den: Love it. Wish there was more of it. There were definitely some parts in there that could be repeated with or without new lyrics to add some length.

Jim of Seattle: Fuckin' Garfunkel! Sorry, you probably hated that. Good times. Great playing, great melody, great lyrics. Can't nitpick here.

R. Mosquito: Cool super-downtune. Sounds like something from an off-broadway musical. Lots of body paint. Perhaps write one? I dig it.

Christopher David: 404 not found. When this gets fixed, will review.

C Layne feat Brad Sucks: Very cool right up front. Stuff fading in, loving it. This might be my favorite. This sounds pro.

Daddy Bop Swing Set: Lots of talent here. Good mix. Vocals sound beautiful, not sure they need doubling at that one point.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

CordSmith wrote: Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints: I imagine the lyrics are pretty amusing/interesting, but I'll have to read em to understand most of em.
Perhaps you haven't heard of the lyrics threads... oh wait, you posted your own lyrics there. Well, anyway, our lyrics are there also.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

CordSmith wrote: Christopher David: 404 not found. When this gets fixed, will review.
Christopher David has changed his band name to Infinity Point Buck. Roll again!
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Dodged a Bullet Reviews

Berkeley Social Scene

Since I know you're into the mixing and production side, I'll mention that the guitars seem deadened. Perhaps over compressed or something. A lot of sparkle missing. Otherwise I have no complaints about the production. This one is pretty cool. I was very curious how people were going to use the title this week because it's such an unmusical collection of syllables to try and sing. The phrase really clunks badly in this song. "Bullet" just sounds bad. I like the verse a lot. I can hear background singers to underline the pretty chord changes. And you know what I think about the lead vocal. It's not horrible and a hard tune, but, well, you know

c.layne feat. Brad Sucks

Pretty fun. I like the almost pointillist tune. It's almost too randomized-sounding, but the third time through I'd gotten to really like it. You're pretty humane with the fuzz guitars, but they are there at all and I hate fuzz guitars usually, so points off for that. That little "ahh" in the background is a fun touch. It's all very good, but a pretty long time for me to endure that fuzz. Excellent craft in all aspects. Major fight contender.

Chips, Abbott & Ray

Very muffled vocals, mixed low, that makes it hard to get into. I'm finding it really hard to get into this one, which is too bad because of the whole epic story you're going for. You don't have a very menacing doctor, sorry to say!

Daddy Bop Swing Set

Very nicely produced and played. The composition seems to being trying hard to keep me off-balance, so I stay at a distance. Combine this slick production and arrangement with a really catchy song and you have something. By the time it's over I don't remember much about it musically, other than it was performed and sung well. much better vocalist than you had for Canadian Girlfriend, but the songwriting is not improved. I re-read my review from that fight and have pretty much the same comments as for that one, though this time you've got a good singer up front.

DJ Ranger Den

Nice start, but of course it's not done, so hard to know. I like the tune and changes a lot. I like the vocal performance. I like the lyric imagery. I don't like how you switch from "I" to "you" and then from present to past tense at the end. I know you defended it recently, but it's off-putting and feels a bit lazy. (As of course, submitting half a song does...) I like the microscope image, but don't understand how it connects to what came before. Something about your solo songs occurred to me: Your vocal delivery is so natural and matter-of-fact, yet your lyrics are pretty obscure and poetic, and I think those two things might be working against each other. You sing like you're sitting here talking to me, but then I think maybe that makes me expect the words you're singing to be easier to grasp. I don't know, perhaps this is all a feature, not a bug. Everything on its own is just great, but it's not quite gelled yet as a single listening experience. I remain infuriated and a little frightened at how damn close you come every time. "My days die of old age", there's a hook for you. Make that the theme and repeat it. "When it moved, you just ran (run) to hide"... there's another great hook. "Living your life to the fullest gets exhausting"... yet another. See what I mean? This sounds like the first line or two from half a dozen great songs all strung together in a single mp3 file.

Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints

Reading along with the lyrics makes this one way more fun to listen to and read along with. What do you know, I write a couple lazy reviews, get called on it, and now I'm eating my words. This one is funny, and I like the concept a lot. A lot of the rhymes are pretty tortured, but enough are clever that I can put up with those. It's so ambitious lyrically that I have to give it some slack. I do think it would work better if it grooved a lot more, and if it were sung more on beat, like a rapper might. I'm glad you cried foul, because I would have missed this one in my grumpy mood yesterday.

The Economy Biscuits

The fuzz guitar and the lead vocal are sort of similar in tone and occupy the same range, so they compete with each other too much, particularly in the verse. It's better when you go up later and start shouting, as the guitar and vocal can both breathe. Once the brief solo starts, the groove gains steam a lot and it gets pretty cool. Probably because the fuzz is gone. I have a thing about fuzz guitar, I usually don't like it, just my personal taste. Since you're going for a really short thing, this might be fun a lot faster, really go with the garage punk sound ala Dead Kennedys.

Foobar

This is kind of pretty. The vocals are sung too close to the mic and are too dry and you could use a few more takes to get all the pitches right and not rush the beat. Might want to try some different effects on the harmonies from the lead. The reason I'm focusing on the vocal is it's the most salient issue. It's nice songwriting otherwise. I don't understand what this song is about, but I find that I don't really care. Nice job, still feels like a demo though.

Infinity Point Buck

Sounds like you had a good time making this.

LHKM

First time through the fight I thought this was a favorite. Second time through I like it less. It's awfully somnolent. I think the first time I was responding to the nice arrangement and good performance. But it never really goes anywhere and gets kind of dull by the end.

The Lookouts

Very nice. Kind of boring though. Kind of bores me in the way that the Dead does. But if I needed to recommend this to someone who liked the Dead or their ilk, I wouldn't hesitate.

Paco del Stinko

This is the kind of song that wins fights. The catchiness will amass a little cabal of adherents, and that will possibly carry it into the winner's circle. I like this one myself as well. No complaints. It's the 8,473rd catchy, well-performed pop/rock song I've heard in the last 2 1/3 years.

R. Mosquito

This is interesting. It took a certain amount of "just going with it", but by the third time I'd figured out how and enjoyed it. I could hear a whole album like this, which many people would despise, but which would most defiantly Exist nonetheless. If I felt more confident that everything I was hearing was more on purpose I'd like it better, but this is a favorite in the fight. Too short. Maybe you need a little more confidence that you're onto something with this song. And I might play more with some atmospheric effects to heighten it. Then I'd probably take them back out. This is a weird, challenging, solid Almost. Nice.

Skadaddle

This is pretty fun. I like the vocals, though the lyrics are too hard to grasp. I had to go read them, and then I was like "Oh, I wasn't missing anything". Good enough excuse for some fun ska groove though I suppose.

sonofsupercar

Pretty cool. Love the lead vocal. I wish there was a bit more contrast in the instrumental break, when it comes back to the big three note riff it doesn't feel as much like an arrival. That's a nitpick though. Pretty cool.

TRJones

Very nice. Kind of hard to keep my interest, I think it's one of those that's way better live.

Tyler Zahnke

Too bad you had to record it live like that. I had to go through a few times to forget the terrible recording and cheap synthy patches and just get to the composition itself. And I'm so on your side here for writing an instrumental and having to do what you could to ensure our skeptical Song Fighting public that you didn't cheat. The bullet shots don't have anything to do with the music though, so for all I know you did cheat. But I would never accuse you. Still, if it weren't for the title, my response would be that you could lose the bullets entirely. I suspect you were going for a movie chase western thing, and that's what the shots are for. Taking it on that basis, this is ok, like you were accompanying a silent movie. Seems like an awful lot of simply banging on a minor chord and throwing in a IV and V every so often. I don't hear a main theme or home-departure structure or anything, so this thing could go over for hours like this or else be over in 45 seconds. Try coming up with some kind of melodic nugget and working with that. Then the piano big near the end is so out of left field and again doesn't supply any kind of melodic shape.
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Spud wrote:
CordSmith wrote: Christopher David: 404 not found. When this gets fixed, will review.
Christopher David has changed his band name to Infinity Point Buck. Roll again!
Ugh... ◔̯◔
CordSmith
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, bass, piano, drums, pennywhistle
Recording Method: Logic, Scarlett 18i20
Submitting as: Cord Smith, Skadaddle, Hardmonica

Post by CordSmith »

Belated but not least:

Infinity Point Buck: Diggin the beats and the synths big time. Like the old skool style rappin' (i.e. fun). Good cleanish fun.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Lunkhead wrote:
Ugh... ◔̯◔
:)
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
JoAnn Abbott
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Menage A Tune

Post by JoAnn Abbott »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I have been trying to figure out how to make better sounding vocals for a while now. I have a M-Audio mike, and use Audacity to record. I know to watch out for clipping, and I don't do any EQ stuff before I send the raw vocals off to whomever is doing the instruments and putting things together, so I don't mess him up. I even took voice lessons for 6 months last year, to try to break some bad habits and learn some better ones.

But I still sound like I am singing in a bucket with a mouth full of cotton wool most of the time.

Any idea what I should do to get things sounding better when I record? I can't go over to Caravan Ray's place to use his stuff...much though I would love to visit Australia, it ain't in my budget.

Thanks!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

You'll never get any better than your mic records in the first place. Get a good mic. Mine cost $200 20 years ago, I knew nothing about mics (still don't), just followed the recommendation of the guy in the store, and its the only mic I've ever used.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

It is more my mixing that is the problem Joann.
Hard to get vocals to cut through the guitar noise in the first part. And difficult for me working with a voice other than my own. And a female one at that
Your recording was quite ok sound wise. The second part is much clearer
I will have another go at mixing and see if I can improve it
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

JoAnn Abbott wrote:Any idea what I should do to get things sounding better when I record? Thanks!
People often don't think about the placement of the mic and their location in the room they are recording in. This article talks a bit about it in the first part, and in general, you should move around your room trying different locations to see how that changes the sound of your recordings.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar04/a ... vocals.htm

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Economy Biscuits
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Synth, drums (programmed)
Recording Method: Reaper, Bias FX, EZDrummer, etc.
Submitting as: The Economy Biscuits
Pronouns: yes

Post by Economy Biscuits »

Jim of Seattle
After reading your review of my submission, I guess I was expecting flawless vocals and... maybe check your compression/noise reduction and or signal chain 'cos that vocal track is a bit noisy, especially noticeable at 1:38 and 3:20. Just sayin

Now, because I like pointing out positive, constructive comments, I really enjoyed the lyrics and piano, when everything kicked in it was quite powerful. I might let the “strings” hang on at the end a bit longer but overall an excellent song, EVEN IF THIS ISN'T MY GENRE OF CHOICE ;)

An $85 dollar steak that tastes more like a $25 dollar steak. Still ate and enjoyed it but maybe adjust the hype in the commercials.

Infinity Point Blank
Great flow, lyrics kept me listening for what was next, no idea where I was going but enjoyed the trip and the destination. MAD SWELLS. Willy Wonka candy that sneaked into some picnic food.

Daddy Bop Swing Set

these change ups really hooked me. Nice mic on the female vox and whatever you're doing with EQ is def working if even a bit high in the mix. Drums - I love brushes... So much going on to keep up. Absolutely great tune. Thank you. Glasses of big wine that finish like a clove ciggy.

Berkeley Social Scene
I love the sound in the left guitar. Great mix but if I'm honest, the high-hat seems a bit hot. Love the bass tone. Awesome song. A trusty pint that goes with anything.

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints
I thought Dave Gahan was about to bring it and... HE DID: and brought the novel 1984 with him. I almost wrote a song about my buddy “dodging a bullet when you cut your mullet.” Not sure the wobbly synths are helping that pretty awesome bass line. Nice tune and thanks for
sharing. Absinthe with soylent green under tones.

Foobar
Immediately, Vocals are a bit high. Can you ride(or program) the levels through the takes to bring them back on the really powerful bits? I'm not entirely convinced you're not Ben Folds, lol. That's a great thing. Really cool vibe going on. Please end this less abruptly! But yeah, great tune. Hot cocoa on a rainy day.

Tyler Zahnke
with such a unique name, I got my internet creep stalk on and after some research I think I better appreciate this from my last review of your music. I get it. I know people are commenting on the sounds of the keystrokes but I would argue this adds to the authenticity of the performance absent in many submissions. Kudos for putting it out there despite the very heavily favored style present here on songfight. Considering the constraints in producing this, I put this very close to the top of what I've heard this go. A spicy dish that takes a few moments to set and then, FLAVOR.

SKAdaddle
Points for using a Snatch quote. Assume all my reviews of this guy is with bias sooo... that said: That reverb IS A BIT STRONG, INNIT? Penny Whistle lead? Ya'll got nothing on this guy. OI OI OI. Perfect paired with a full English.

LHKM
Sounds like another great mic and you use it well. A breezy tune that floats around the room at just the right height. This song reminds me of someone I used to know. Not terribly blown away by the bass but still would rock this tune whilst preparing tea.

R. Mosquito
I feel like I just got called to a duel and was instead forced to watch a David Lynch short. That said, refreshing and would definitely listen again. Buttered lobster phone in a photo with Dali.

TRJones
Sorry for another movie reference but did The Big Lebowski just end? This is the song I want to hear before the montage of me working out to get back to date weight. A strong cup of joe in a dirty diner.

DJ Ranger Den
Not excited about vocal vibrato (but I get the nod) overall nice tune. I love that it's short and to the point. I also get to listen multiple times. The last bite of an overcooked steak on a first date that isn't going well.

Chips, Abbot and Ray
Hell yeah! Now we're talking. But wait, everything gets all mopey...and then... wait are you doing to us? I couldnt keep up but I definitely kept listening. The unlabeled chocolate sampler, no idea what I was getting next but knew I'd eat it anyway.

The Lookouts
This is songwriting, ya'll. I really dig the vocals. Its like Flaming lips meets Everclear. A line of shots before confessing love to someone you don't know. Dangerous endeavor, but possibly fruitful!

Sonofsupercar
really like the Cake little guitar sound. But wait, its way heavier than cake ever was. Reminds me of Matthew Sweet and Motorheads love child where Lemmy isnt sure he wasnt cheated on by Frank Black or King Buzzo. No food analogy.

The Economy Biscuits
I had a nice, clean composition ready to go. Slow, sad and everything but decided instead to write about my wife leaving for the store knowing our two-year-old was about to crap his pants. Not finished, of course but all the parts are there. Just no time to finish. I know this isn't everyone's bag but I'm really enjoying writing and almost as much reviewing. Let's not forget to have fun, right? A slightly undercooked pork with the potential for illness.

C. Layne Featuring Brad Sucks
No other song has made me feel like I really have no idea what I'm doing like this song. Amazing production, wonderful melody, vocals, lyrics...everything. This is my favorite cup of fresh-roasted coffee from the shop that I don't tell my friends about. I sit and drink it, thinking about how great it is. This really is a fabulous tune and thank you for submitting this. As of this review, I've probably listened to this tune about 15-20 times.

Paco del Stinko

Not my schtick but hey, still great production. The Hawaiian pizza I wouldnt have payed for for but still ate and enjoyed.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Economy Biscuits wrote:Jim of Seattle
After reading your review of my submission, I guess I was expecting flawless vocals and... maybe check your compression/noise reduction and or signal chain 'cos that vocal track is a bit noisy, especially noticeable at 1:38 and 3:20. Just sayin

Now, because I like pointing out positive, constructive comments, I really enjoyed the lyrics and piano, when everything kicked in it was quite powerful. I might let the “strings” hang on at the end a bit longer but overall an excellent song, EVEN IF THIS ISN'T MY GENRE OF CHOICE ;)
You didn't say so explicitly, but I sense a bit of rancor from you here based on my review, and looking back at it, it's no wonder. Don't mind me, I've have always been somewhat out of touch with the general SF community gestalt, (and am in constant conflict with an impressive circus of internal demons). Your review is edited below and hopefully more useful.

As for my vocal noise, I was pretty disappointed to discover it so late in the process. Most of my music is thick with instrumentation and so I've gotten away with a bit of noise. I tried to do something really spare for a change here and that little problem surfaced, but only once I was to the final mixey-downy stage. I was also trying to flex my old actual-lyrics-that-make-sense-and-have-craft muscles, which have atrophied over the years, and so all my attention was on the songwriting. It will be ironic and telling that come results time next week, this song, which I really poured my heart and soul into, will fare worse than something like Witch Hunt, the likes of which I can do in my sleep.
Sick and Wrong
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Sick and Wrong »

Jim of Seattle wrote:....and (I) am in constant conflict with an impressive circus of internal demons
Sorry to hear that, JoS. Hope you're getting help.
...what?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Jim of Seattle wrote: Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints I get really tired of all the lyrics. They feel tortured in their aim to strain for rhymes and syllables.
Hey, Jim - we've done this enough over the years - so here's a multiple choice response, from previous reviews by me. Choose your favourite!

a) ... And that would be the point.

b) ... And I get really tired of your lazy reviewing :)

c) .... And I get tired of anything worthwhile lyrically on your songs.

d) ... And this is why we should never meet.

e) .... You're wrong. I'm right. Nyah nyah nyah nyah.

f) all of the above.

Seriously though, I didn't finish my reviews last week, but I loved the violin and the mood on your and Madi's "witch hunt", really created a pagan feel. but it felt unfinished. I needed the story to go somewhere. So maybe I'm the overwordy guy who's had too many cocktails, and you're the underwordy guy ... who's a bit too cocktail.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Hmmm, at the risk of rewriting every review I write that the victim doesn't like, I should go back and redo yours too. When I editied Economy Biscuit's this morning, I saw yours right above it and thought "he deserves a better review too". I was in a grumpy mood that day. Shouldn't have been allowed behind the wheel, reviewically-speaking.

I choose f)

Though I get a pass on b) because I am now going to go back down and redo my review. Not that I'm going to like the song much better, but at least it will be longer than a single snarky sentence. (Though of course many people's reviews consist entirely of SSS's, I hold myself up to a higher standard.)

EDIT: As it turns out, I did like it a lot better. Go figure.
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

JoS, you're not owning it. How can I ever believe your first words now? :)

I'm going to start requesting re-reviews and won't stop until they say everything I want to hear. lol
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Jim, Jim, Jim, I was *joking* - thank you for taking the re-listen but I honestly wasn't fishing! i was just being my internet comedy b*stard persona, which ironically as it turns out, is my real life persona too :)
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Oh I knew you were. But I also felt like I hated that review and it needed better.

Truth is, mostly I try to put a quantity of thought into a review that equates to the quantity of effort in the song. Those lyrics took a long time and I blew them off. And Economy Biscuit was a newb and my blow-off of a review was one of the first he'd gotten. That's bad.

And, truth be told, the reviews on SF are so much less than they were back when I was doing this a lot, and I'm single-handedly trying to raise the bar. I'm not that clever or hip or young or pretty or cool or any of those things that everyone else here is. Writing good reviews is all I got.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

djrd - really like your vocal, good vibrato (?). and that little bit of delay is a nice touch. interesting lyrics. i would like it to be longer. this song would be good with an electronic lengthening/remix... i’m offering, if you’re interested.

economy - ah, surprise parenting. terrifying but filfilling. needs more punch. maybe have more of that nasty tone from the end.

mosquito - not that fond of the vocal styling, too operatic/overwrought for me. this is almost something i’d really enjoy, like crime & the city solution.

skedaddle - this would jump to the next level with some horns. nice rhythm guitar etc. too much swearing. but a good effort.

infinity - not sure the vox and music are quite together. vox need more presence. you don’t seem very penitent.

paco - lovin’ the vox on the choruses. fun. not much to say but i like it. no lyrics posted so no comments on them.

sos - i always like the sos sound, guitars, vox, good drumming. no lyrics posted so no comments on them.

unnamed band - or is it bss... you forgot the bandname id3. whenever i hear you guys i think of the beer bottle cymbal from that live show. heh. chorus isn’t doing it for me, but i rarely like ones where it’s the same line repeated. i like the guitar and pads a lot. undiscovered/unrecovered is a good rhyme.

dbti - j$ and me. words are mostly his, actually music is too. i love his bassline. i added some synths. i always make a point to listen to j$’s music more than once before i pass judgement on it. for some reason it sinks in better that way.

jones - no lyrics posted so no comments on them. i wanted to tap my toes and such but it’s not working. in the words of the butthole surfers, it’s better to regret something you have done than something you haven’t done. and by the way, if you see your mom this weekend, be sure and tell her... sorry, i took a break to go listen to sweat loaf. it’s been a long time since i heard that.

unnamed band - or is it lhkm... you forgot the bandname id3. no lyrics posted so no comments on them. rolls along nicely. the rhymes seem a bit trite sometimes. nice guitar sound. little too repetitive on the chorus. i don’t feel like “she dodged a bullet” is strong enough to be the hook, and you repeat it a lot.

foobar - no lyrics posted so no comments on them. lunch? i think these vox need to be not so raw. soften them with some delay/reverb? this is another one where a not-strong-enough line is repeated over and over. also “a bullet it will”... whatever that word is, is awkward. interesting effort. nice piano. edit: i guess it’s “lodge” but boy does it sound like “lunch”.

jos - no lyrics posted so no comments on them. ok, i take it back, interesting story. the music’s pretty good, but this one gets a vote based on the words which are real easy to understand anyway.

chips - creepy. then the lyrical ending changes the feel a lot. i like the turnaround. nice music too. i am especially enjoying the ending pads. i like the duet thing you have going, and the change at the end.

tyler - sounds like you set a recorder in front of the tv to record something you were watching. on loop. or maybe it’s a video game. i can’t tell that you did anything here.

daddy - no lyrics posted so no comments on them. interesting sounds. this is pretty cool. enjoying the combination of vox and sounds. backing vox need to not blend into the background.

clayne - no lyrics posted so no comments on them. i am enjoying this, but all the pieces don’t seem to quite fit together quite right. with some more work i think this song could really shine. that said, i am digging it more as i listen to it, so maybe i'll think it works better next time i hear it.

lookouts - no lyrics posted so no comments on them. another one that isn't quite holding together. music is pretty sloppy, actually. i feel like the singalong nature is pretty cool, and that guitar at the end is good.

favorites: djrd, paco, sos, bss, dbti, jos, chips, daddy, c.layne
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas