993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998, 999... (1000 Words Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

993, 994, 995, 996, 997, 998, 999... (1000 Words Reviews)

Post by ken »

Stay on target.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

My vote goes to the first person who can tell me how many words you've spoken if you've counted to 1,000.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

i actually started to try and figure that out.....but, forget it. once I realized that my easy formula only worked until 100, it became bigger than me....

i hate numbers. :lol:
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i think it would have to depend on whether you count "one hundred and one" or just "one hundred one." not going to bother counting because i didn't enter...
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Stay on target.

Blue Leader.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

This is Red 5, I'm goin' in.

And is ninety-nine one word or two? And do you count extra words like "Shut up, I'm counting"?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

to me, ninety-nine is two words. eighteen, is one.

that's all I got.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Assuming ninety-nine is two words, eighteen is one
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

Well, John? Does Mr. JoS take the vote or what? I've checked his calculations, they seem to be accurate. ;)
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

4403, assuming "one hundred AND one", or 3512 assuming "one hundred one". Both count twenty-two as two words.

Edit: Jim got it first. I suppose I should probably show my work, too.
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

I respectfully stand by 2,792. I don't think you get to choose your assumptions when there are rules about these things. A hyphenated word is a hyphenated word, not a hyphenated two words. And numbers don't have "and" in them.

So I get:
99 one-word numbers (1 through 99)
10 two-word numbers (the multiples of 100)
891 three-word numbers (x01 through x99 where x is 1 through 9)

99+10+891 = 1,000 numbers
99*1 + 10*2 + 891*3 = 2,792 words
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

john m wrote:My vote goes to the first person who can tell me how many words you've spoken if you've counted to 1,000.
seems clear to moi. :) it asks for how many "words" not, how many "numbers".

John? Where are you in this? It's your challenge!!!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Alright, so given that there is a discrepancy in what is one word or two words, both LMNOP and I could be considered the winners. Therefore, assuming LMNOP has a "1000 Words" song, I think you should vote for the better between the two.

Wait, what am I saying??? vote for mine instead.
john m
Panama

Post by john m »

Oh man, you guys are great.

If you're both in, I'll decide between you two. If only Jim is in, I'll vote for him. Or maybe I'll vote for both of you.

Hm, but Josh's page deserves note, also. I'll wait until I see who's in the fight. (And nicely done differentiating between with/without "and," even though including "and" is technically incorrect.)

<font size="1">P.S. - I hope you didn't think I knew the answer.

P.P.S. - Thanks for helping to get so off target so quickly. Take that, ken!</font>
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

LMNOP is the only one who's completely right. No, that's not just my opinion. There are grammatical standards concerning how to say or write a number's name.
john m
Panama

as an aside, this whole thing was a joke

Post by john m »

Whew, thanks, now I don't have to call Webster.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

CCS=HELL YES! :!:
Hi!
Morbid Morgan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Morbid Morgan »

TheHipCola wrote:once I realized that my easy formula only worked until 100, it became bigger than me....i hate numbers. :lol:
You got further than I. My response went something like this..."uh a thousand, no wait ninety nine is two words, owww...I need a cigarette. :oops:
I'm a professional cynic, but my heart's not in it. I'm paying the price of living life by the minute.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

joshw wrote:4403, assuming "one hundred AND one", or 3512 assuming "one hundred one". Both count twenty-two as two words.

Edit: Jim got it first. I suppose I should probably show my work, too.
i got 4403 too

(God I'm bored)
gduncan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Sell Crazy

Post by gduncan »

Ants (Invisible) - the intro piano riff vaguely reminds me of another song, not the melody but the style of playing, I can't think what it is though and it's driving me nuts. Lovely strings and they work together with the harmonies beautifully. This song has some great use of dynamics to build everything up as the music progresses. My only critism would be that the kick drum doesn't sound punchy enough. The ending is a little abrupt and left me feeling that the songs was a little short, which is a good thing as I was enjoying listening to it.

Ben Wong - it sounds like you've got a flanger effect on the guitar and it doesn't work well with this sort of sparse arrangement. The vocal also needs to be higher in the mix. It is a shame that the production on this isn't great as it has a rough energy that I liked.

The HipTripper - the dark industrial beat of this is relentless in a good way. You've used effects on the drums well to make them sound huge. Great use of stop/start arrangement in the middle to give what is the hightlight of the song when the drums come pounding in. The lead guitar work is also solid but I don't like the way it is panned so much to the right, I think it would work better in the center so that when the vocal drops out the guitar takes its place. Great song.

The Idiot Kings - the two guitars intertwine nicely during the intro. The mix isn't great as I think the drums and bass get a bit lost in the chorus and the guitars are a little over powering. It works ok in the verse as the guitars are sparser. The loud chorus, quiet verse is done well and gives the song a kick when you enter the chorus. Speaking of the chorus it reminds me, in positive way, of The Killers. Another good song.

Josh Woodward - your arrangement and recording of the two guitars is excellent. The vocal is also good and fits the song well. I do find parts of the melody familiar (the 'Oh Amelia' section) but I can't think of where from. I'm finding something about your accent/ennunciation off putting, that isn't critism (just personal taste) but I think that is why I don't enjoy this song as much as I think I should, as otherwise it is good.

Justin T. Arthur - the vocal melody and delivery reminds me of Lou Reed. Your mix and production isn't great but your lyrics are interesting, if a little geeky. I don't think I can think of another song that uses the word nibble in the context you mention. You get marks for being different, keep at it.

Luke Henley - your penny jar is mixed too loud, the guitar and vocal should be moved to the fore. Again this song is lacking in production but you already know that. Against my better judgement I'm actually enjoying your cat-a-wailing style of singing. This song has a rough charm about it.

Negendherd - a short and sweet acappella. The harmonies are a little rough but overall I thought this was good. Well done.

Pistolero feat. Morbid Morgan - beautiful singing backed up by some cool slide guitar playing on what sounds like a resonator. I'm not sure the singing style totally suites the blues guitar though, as your vocal is very clean and pure and I like my blues singers to be down and dirty. The guitar stopping at the end is very sudden and it feels like the song wasn't ended properly. Despite that I really liked this song.

Song Fight Orchestra - mad but great. I'd love to hear you turn this into a full length song outside the bounds of the orchestra.

Ting Pong Garica - this song has a nice groove to it, I'm nodding my head along to it. The vocal is a little hard to make out and could do with a little production work done on it. You loose the groove a bit during the chorus, I think due to the guitar playing style changing, which is a shame. The quiet spoken vocals on the last verse are a nice change but go on a shade too long. Overall good work.

The Twenty Fives - the drums sound like someone banging on a box, due to the poor recording, but they work well enough with the lo-fi feel of the song. I guess you already realise that the production isn't great on this, a little money spent on your recording equipment could work wonders and allow people to hear your song as you intended. The song sounds unfinished as though you had an initial idea that you didn't fully flesh out before recording. It shows some promise though so keep at it.

Where's Fluff? - the guitar recording is very high end heavy and doesn't have any real body. It makes the guitar sound very tinny. Try moving your microphone around more until you find a more natural sounding position. The vocal wobbles a bit pitch-wise but is generally good. I think this particular song would benefit from a fuller band sound (which I realise you don't have access to).

WreckdoM - this has some great guitar parts on it, the electric lead especially. The vocal is a bit muddy but is still pretty good. You could do with a bit more variation but even as is it isn't bad.

Cheers,

Gareth.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

Nice reviews Gareth! thanks!

My reviews will follow in a day or two, but Ants was the first track I streamed this morning, and for the second fight of Ants in a row, I've been blown away. Run with it Jim, Run! Nice work. :)