I might actually review this one. (The Lurker Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

I might actually review this one. (The Lurker Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

erm..... maybe not. I'll just wait and see.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Re: I might actually review this one. (The Lurker Reviews)

Post by Spud »

I have made a small change in the voting code. It should not change anything you see when you vote. If you do notice anything strange, or have trouble voting, please let me know in the QA thread.
Thanks, SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Thanks for the heads up, Spud. Does this have anything to do with the paragraph in the "Last Week's Fights" section?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

After I give them all listens I'll add greenfaces/VOTES to my four favorites.

Berkeley Social Scene - Definitely digging the dirty riffing in this one. It has some attitude to it. Nice release in the chorus too (the tension release from verse to chorus is really sweet.) Sounds like a potential winner and a very likely vote for me. Finally got to hear the whole thing and it has a great feel throughout. One of the better BSS songs I've heard I think. :mrgreen: VOTE

Nick Soma - I love the atmosphere set by the intro synth. Hmm... I was getting ready to really love this song until the vocal came in as this kind of rapping doesn't work for me. I dig the chorus. Instrumentally I think it's really cool. I like how ambitious the song is and some parts of it are really great ... a possible vote despite not really being into the rappin' bit.

Schlimminy Cricket - Cool quirky arrangement. I'm liking how the vocals are clear & upfront. The weird synth solo at about 1:30 is probably the highlight for me. I like the overall feel of this song and the melody is pretty catchy ... this is a possible vote. :mrgreen: VOTE

Klownhole - 9 minutes! OK, wasn't expecting this Kraftwerkian thing to come in after 30 seconds of guitar noise. The synth part is cool but I'm not liking the laser drum noise thing that keeps coming in. As the rock bit starts I'm expecting more back and forths ... as of now (4 minutes) it's been going like this for a bit. Hmm. I'm definitely not your target audience but I can see the appeal of what you're doing here. There's a schizophrenic kind of heavy thing here that's pretty cool. I think I always mention The Butthole Surfers when I do your reviews and here I go again, your songs always remind me of them. And I do like some Butthole sometimes. Just not all the time.

Burnzi - Some cool lines in these lyrics. There are also some nice little arrangement touches which come through despite the lofi thing you've got going on with your recording quality. I am missing drums & bass (especially as the guitar solo kicks in). As a demo it's pretty cool. It seems to be a pretty good song that I think could challenge with a full performance and good production/mix.

Finding Nemoy - Super cute little indie acoustic jam. I am getting into the lyrical story which is a rarity for me. Nice handclap ramshackle type percussion that works really nicely with this song (I'm thinking a drum machine type sound would have sapped a lot of the atmosphere away.) The vocals work very well for this style (and the double tracking sounds good, I think but I'm thinking you may get some different opinions on that.) Catchy tune. Likely vote. :mrgreen: VOTE

the Fonzees - This is pretty damn good. I was ready to dismiss this because of the lofi garage rock vibe but it has a great feel/rhythm and the vocal line is quite catchy. And I think the lofi sound actually works really well for this song. Possible vote. I've been liking a lot of the songs this week. "The Lurker" is a great title ... maybe inspired people more than usual?

The Magnetic Letters - Flight of the Conchords vibe here. Not too bad but the loose/sloppy vocals kind of let it down. I like the horns. The drums may be a bit too haphazard.

Paco del Stinko- I like the main guitar riff quite a bit and the mix sounds good (great drums/guitar) and the guitar solos at 2 & 3:10 are sweet. But I don't like the vocals/melody much ... but I did enjoy the little "brainstorming" dig at the end.

High Density - The synths are so compressed as to be overbearing, I had to turn down my volume when your song came on. Maybe a bit more drum & bass and a bit less of the main synth there on the verse? I do really like how it moves into the chorus. Possible vote just based on how much I dig the chorus. Great vocal melody there.

lightning shark - Pretty cool feel/sound but I'm not finding myself drawn into this one. Maybe just too much of a slow jam for my current mood. I finished typing that just as the solo kicked in, damn! Awesome solo. I love the way that kicked in. I feel like maybe this one needs a couple more listens to really fully appreciate. I may come back to it. :mrgreen: VOTE

Captain Cowabunga - Loud! I think this is probably good for what you're going for but it's pretty far out of my wheelhouse so not sure really... to me it sounds overcompressed.

glennny - This one sounds pretty damn weird, eh? Definitely doesn't remind me of Paul Simon this week. The rather bizarre instrumental breakdown around 2 minutes ... sounds kind of like two different songs at once but it's interesting.

Thanks for the Frisbee - what happened to glennny & the frisbee?! I like this one but I don't love it. Reminds me a bit of The Shins.

Jon Eric - Guitar tone is a bit weird ... drums could be louder in the mix maybe. I do like the harmonica. There are some good bits here but it seems a bit sloppy overall. Vocals have some strong moments but there are some shaky parts too.

OK... I think I listened to all of 'em, time to add greenfaces/votes. My 4th/final vote came down to Finding Nemoy vs. High Density and the extreme loudness of those synths just put me off when it came down to it... but I think that High Density song probably has the catchiest chorus of the fight
Last edited by chocolatechips on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Generic wrote:Thanks for the heads up, Spud. Does this have anything to do with the paragraph in the "Last Week's Fights" section?
YES. It's for tracking the time and date of the votes so that I don't have to do it manually. It just so happened that I peeked in the votes this week shortly after the deadline and took a snapshot. This will allow me to check on the timing of votes without having to be there.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

holy shit High Density back and in full effect
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Captain Cowabunga!!!!!
Your song is awesome!
Where did you come from? (New Hampshire)
...yeah I know who you are...... you rule!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Glennny wrote:Where did you come from? (New Hampshire)
Sounds more like a Masshole to me...
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Good fight, peoples. Nice to hear Nemoy back. I'll comment in a couple of days, busy weekend. But don't wait for me, less busy people! ;)
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

HD Fuck Yeah!
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I am also excited at the return of High Density. Hooray!
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

I listened to them all... Twice for most, but, High Density keep me going back to the days of CBGB's and some blondie chick I once knew.
That being said, how the hell could I not love the Fonzees !!!!
Pure Television !!
Thanks
moboid
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by moboid »

Nice to be back and feel the thread love y'all.
And Toby that's just an insane compliment, thanks!
Has everyone (anyone?) figured out what is going on in our song? :) I guess it's not too secretive... at least not in this crowd.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Berkeley Social Scene - I enjoy Martin's voice, seems like a while since he's been here. Also good to hear stacks of backing vocals. Love the loopy guitar(s) and synth accents. The song kinda lopes along but is not boring. Heh. When I don't need you.

Burnzi - This is a nice song, as a demo especially. Almost Stonesy at the start but even Keef isn't that loose on vocals. I know, time limits and all. Keep this one and return to it later after you've gotten a better feel for recording. Good vocal delivery though.

Captain Cowabunga - Sounds like Slampig. Burka is a dumb but acceptable rhyme even if it makes no sense. Needs an Uli dive bomb solo.

Finding Nemoy
- Are you the guy that had that weird Zorro guy avatar? Anyway, I remember you from my early days at SF!. I like this song, pleasant, happy music with creepazpoid lyrics. Like a pervy Smiths. Catchy, daisychain vibe. I love the images this brings up of all the creepy stalking and beyond. Hope it's not autobiographical.

the Fonzees - This song is great fun. Glad you didn't open the garage for this, it might've disrupted some of the skudgyfuzz. Love the progression, simple chorus, production, and rockin' balls fun of this. More, please!

glennny - Well, like you didn't recognize me recently, I didn't know it was you here initially. The first thing I thought of for this fight was a Judas Priest type thing. Your song doesn't go there, but has a certain galloping quality in it that could be a relative. Love the transition from verse to chorus and the bridge section is great. Nutty and excellent solo. Of course.

High Density
- Strobe lights and glow sticks, or something. Love the digi-throb and vocals. The treatment to the voice is something that works great here. The bridge is my least favorite part, but it sets up the return to the body of the song nicely. Subtle builds and accents, this song is near perfect and I'm glad it didn't go on longer than it needed to. (A compliment)

Jon Eric - Is this your Springsteen song? Reminds me of someone else like that, I can't place. But I probably like this better. Good one to add to your live sets. Although your playing is fine here, a band of different players could air this out a bit. Shit, I could say that about every one of my songs. Some simple oo-ahhs might be nice on the pre-chorus. Good song.

Klownhole - When I first found Song Fight!, you guys had a song up. I don't remember the title, but the vocals reminded me of an operatic version of a guy I've played with for decades named Arthuroni Spumoni. He doesn't hear it that way, but what does he know. Sometimes the riffs go on too long, but they rarely fail to pound your face into the sand. I'm am split on some of the sample sounding stuff, but love the slowdown grind and mucka-chunga drums. Brutal.

lightning shark - Captain Casual tosses off another one. Do you really spew these out that quickly? Sometimes quick is the answer, so I believe you. No time to think. Your vocal delivery is excellent if maybe in need of a slight reeling in. Love the barely see you sections. Another excellent late at nighter, the loud lead fits well, then everyone nods off again. Might be scary when you are up and awake. Nice.

The Magnetic Letters - Diggin' the retro vibe here, doesn't feel forced. Could benefit from a bridge, maybe, but the rest is so laidback casual, who cares? A little muffly sounding but not a distraction. Good fun.

Nick Soma - Loved the into, got put off when I thought it was gonna be all rappy, then it turned into a full voiced Flash In The Pan. Sort of. Nice vibe here, good use of power pop chords and melody. Falsetto voice is weird, but I get it. Excellent keyboarding.

Paco del Stinko - Strained sounding vocals, why do I do it? And the backing vocals on the chorus should be re-done. I like the guitar tone though. I mic'd one amp, both speakers, and hard panned it. Same amp and guitar for the lead, different channel, panned opposite. Loud.

Schlimminy Cricket - When I first came here I thought that JB was John Flansburg. Maybe you are? Love the 60s-ish vibe here and melody. The melody is tasty and the fuzzy tones and accordian sounds are well done. I like this a lot and it's a fave this week, glad you entered.

Thanks for the Frisbee - I'm glad you're around again, hope you stay. Vocals still wobble a bit, but not bad. Very patient and easy-going. I expect it to take off at some point but am glad that it really doesn't. I mean, it gets a little snappy at the end, but never runs away. A little bittersweet, a little hurt sounding too.
Kip Lightning
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Cubase, Bfd3 with roland td4
Submitting as: Lighting Shark

Post by Kip Lightning »

Oh yes, I do spew them out that quickly. I have had what I would consider a creative block since Nov 20th last year (I remember that day for various reasons) . I have been working on an album for a while and like many "artists", I have trouble committing and calling it finished. Subsequently it has become a giant ball of anxiety and frustration for me----so "Songfight" and my idiotic pseudonym is a place where I can just be stupid and silly and really have fun with it again. (This is my third pseudonym here btw------I did one song in 2007 I think and played drums and guitar for another person at some point---no hints). Scale of one to ten --25 mins total recording /writing, suitcase----same maybe less-----the lurker started at 10pm ended at 1230-1ish and I actually lost half of it in a crash at some point and had to rerecord stuff (had piano originally. I plan to someday take more time with a song for songfight, but I doubt it will be this week.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Kip Lightning wrote:Oh yes, I do spew them out that quickly. I have had what I would consider a creative block since Nov 20th last year (I remember that day for various reasons) . I have been working on an album for a while and like many "artists", I have trouble committing and calling it finished. Subsequently it has become a giant ball of anxiety and frustration for me----so "Songfight" and my idiotic pseudonym is a place where I can just be stupid and silly and really have fun with it again.
Welcome back to Song Fight!. You know what it's about.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Welcome back then, Kip. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word spew, but you get the idea. Some of my favorite songs I've ever done were un-rehearsed, improvised on the spot, or created in a very short time. I still work very quickly. Works all ways. Glad this is uncorking your bottle, so to speak. :)
Kip Lightning
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Cubase, Bfd3 with roland td4
Submitting as: Lighting Shark

Post by Kip Lightning »

Spew is accurate, ha.
Merle Fyshwick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Cubase, Korg MicroKey, Zoom H1, shit headphones.
Submitting as: The Magnetic Letters

Post by Merle Fyshwick »

Berkley Social Scene

I laughed at the line about hot water (because personal hygiene is funny). The song could have ended around 2:30, although the arpeggiated keys and electric guitar combo on the last chorus was worth waiting for. I also like the harmonies in the pre-chorus.

Burnzi

I like the 'he don't give a shit' line. This has a hint of the nineties nostalgia about it, which I reckon will be the next big thing. A bit like if Tom Petty filled in for Adam Duritz. This song, along with BSS's, fleetingly reminds me of Creep; the major – minor change or something. It has a solid structure.

Captain Cowabunga

Ha ha – who's the lurker? Great vocals. Nice rolled R's, dude. A bit light on for lyrics, but the Electric Six ending is the best of any song here.

Finding Nemoy

The double-tracked vocal and the hand claps are great. Jogging shorts – classic, and probably the funniest and most genuinely creepy line in the fight. Nemoy is a more convincing perve than Cowabunga (because I don't think Cowabunga could keep quiet) Vote.

Fonzees

I like the chorus, even though there isn't much lyrically to this song. If I was out on the town, this is the one I would dance to, though.

Glennny

The falsetto harmonies are great. Production wise, maybe too compressed? It sounds like it's gain-pumping which is a shame cause it sounds pro otherwise. You somehow manage to sound threatening and endearing at the same time. Good that it's about net lurkers, which I guess was the point of the songfight. Cool solo bit - keys and guitar.

High Density

About drones and stuff. Cool. There seems to be a nod to 99 Luft balons; it makes sense (to me) given the subject matter. If so, that's really clever. Probably the most professional sounding entry here.

Jon Eric

This one, though the mix isn't perfect (drums could come up), is one of the best songs. Vocals are clear which is good. I love the yacht rock harmony chorus. Awesome. Clever rhymes. The Elvis Costello-style stop at 3:00 is perfect. Vote.
Merle Fyshwick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Cubase, Korg MicroKey, Zoom H1, shit headphones.
Submitting as: The Magnetic Letters

Post by Merle Fyshwick »

Klownhole

At first I thought 'here we go', but I kinda liked this, and laughed at the way the video game clips interrupt the music at unpredictable moments. Vocals are really good. The lurker is me, is me, is me - & YOU!! Bwa ha ha.What game is this? Quake?

lightning shark

Nicely done, especially the drum sound. Not sure if it's serious or not, which is funny in itself. The big Ween solo makes me think not. Cool.

Nick Soma

Luka Bloom, Robert Smith and Billie Joe Armstrong have a three-way manbaby.. or something. Nice use of glock. Only a professional lurker – ha. 'Obnoxious bitch' – double ha.

Paco del Stinko

This is a close second for most creepy. Nice the way the harmonies/solo vox go back and forth in chorus, and that bit in the bridge “My brain!”. Like the odd-timing. And the electric solo-masturbation link is pretty clever. Excellent bass sound. There he is, here he comes – eww. Vote.

Schlimminy Cricket

This reminds me of a '60s song poem (my favourite obscure genre). Love the old sound. Nice chord progression. That lead sound is obnoxious but wicked. A bit out of sync and woozy and I like the use of non-rhyme (like a song poem!) Vote.

Thanks for the Frisbee

This has one of the best choruses, and good, tight double-tracked vocals. It also evokes some hard-to-place '80s Australian rock nostalgia. My only criticism (because this is a really good song) is that the snare sound doesn't vary in volume so there isn't much dynamic variation. Vote.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Merle Fyshwick wrote: There he is, here he comes – eww.
Ha ha! That was meant literally, not piggerly. Lame line, but improvised to fit the end. Thanks for the comments and vote! Dug your tune this week as well.
SchlimminyCricket
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: synths and guits
Submitting as: Schlimminy Cricket

Post by SchlimminyCricket »

The Magnetic Letters— I was unconvinced until I heard the vibraslap. You probably wrote this while wearing a white suit with no shirt, right? The vocals could be a bit clearer, but it's a fun song.

The Fonzees— I enjoy this. It reminds me of a late-90s-early-2000s Alternative Pandora station I used to listen to all the time. I'm liking the distorted vocals. Good energy.

Nick Soma— Good, atmospheric intro. Freaking LOVE the glockenspiel. And the banjo (synth?) thing. The vocal delivery style kinda sorta reminds me of Talking Heads or Devo. You're on my good list this time.

Jon Eric— Harmonica=very yes. Good chorus with good harmonies. Are you drumming on the back of a guitar? Bongos? The growly vocals at 3:00 are great.

Klownhole— Took me a while to realize I was listening to video game noises. Then the song started, and it's just not my thing. I don't really have any constructive feedback.

High Density— MmmYes. Something sounds just a little off about the vocals during the verses. Maybe they need some echo or compression or something? I can't put my finger on it. The chorus sounds great. Digging the electronic thing.

Finding Nemoy— I like the vocal stylings and production, but the pitch is a bit iffy in spots. You've used my favorite hand-clap pattern. Generally this is something I would be happy to listen to in real life.

lightning shark— So smooth, sir. I like the guitar tone a lot. Good entry.

Berkley Social Scene— Sounds good, as always, but the lyrics don't really flow. Good synth.

glenny— Interesting vocal production (interesting in this case is not shorthand for not-good. I quite like it.) The harmonizing is pleasant.

Captain Cowabunga— Are you a pirate? You sound kinda like a pirate. Rhyme "lurker" with "burqa?" That's creative. Namedrop for Rone Rivendale, a name I recognize just enough to feel like I'm missing the joke.

Paco del Stinko— Choir of zombies guesting on the chorus? Good choice. Cool percussion.

Thanks for the Frisbee— I'm a fan of yours. Your vocals remind me of Phoenix a bit, and I'm a sucker for acoustic folk-rock type stuff. I fully support this track.

Burnzi— Guitar sounds a bit weird and unnatural. Backing vocals could use some work, or maybe just some pitch correction.

Me— I'm at that point where I've listened to this so many times I kind of hate it now. This go round I decided to consciously emulate some of my favorite artists. A little The Shins, a little They Might Be Giants, so on, so forth. I'm honored by the John Flansburgh comparison, as he's always been one of my musical heroes. I think the thing I'm most proud of in this track is that horrible quack of a synth voice I came up with for the solo. Just delightfully ugly.

So yeah. Good fight.
Last edited by SchlimminyCricket on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.