To touch bass or not

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Re: To touch bass or not

Post by signboy »

IMHO, the best place to get a decent bass for cheap is the pawn shop. A lot of times, they don't know what they have, or you'll find a low end bass where someone in the factory messed up and made a good one. The big trick is: play lots of em. Pick the one you like best, not the one that costs the most.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

In my experience, pawn shops not knowing what they have means they're going to charge WAY TOO MUCH for things, and those things are usually in bad shape, in ways that aren't obvious to someone who already knows what to look for. I'm sure you can find some real gems in pawn shops but you really have to know what to look out for.

(Incidentally, pawn shops are usually even worse for technology stuff. Video game consoles and computers seem to always be sold for their original retail price. Or rather, don't sell.)
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

I agree, with the internet, it seems like it is less likely to find someone who doesn't know what they have. I think you have better luck finding someone desperate on Craigslist willing to take a hit on a nice item in order to get it sold fast.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:I've had a couple of Memphis P-style basses over the years. Inexpensive but with nice woody tone.
Paco sold one of these to me. It's been in all my songs for the last, oh, I think four years or so.

I'd been getting by with the "bass" tone on my keyboard before that, and no one ever specifically pointed out my bass sound as a problem with my music, but for me it's a huge benefit to be able to actually play the thing like a real instrument. You get a performance that sounds genuine, because (duh) it is.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
wadewalbrun
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Mixcraft, M Audio M track, hope and a prayer
Submitting as: Burnzi

Post by wadewalbrun »

Thanks for the all the input! I got a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass, and have been pretty happy with it so far. Bass guitar is a bit of a new world for me, get the groove down and everything, but not all that different from guitar in theory. It's a heck of a lot easier that playing the computer keyboard!
It's in the hole! It's in the hole!!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I just bought a bass! I got a good deal on a 20 year old Fender American P-Bass. It's in nearly perfect condition and came with a nice old hard shell case. It's got a maple fretboard and I think it's a "Jade Pearl Metallic" finish. It looks like this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassAMJP/

If anybody would like some live bass on their entry some time after the "Day of the Dead" fight let me know.