Where Anna Can See Your Reviews (WACS Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Where Anna Can See Your Reviews (WACS Reviews)

Post by ken »

Anna can see your reviews, so make them good.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: Where Anna Can See Your Reviews (WACS Reviews)

Post by glennny »

ummmm, I got a conformation for the Glennny and Annabella track submission, but I don't see it up.

good idea Chips! Here's a link:

https://soundcloud.com/glenartrock/glen ... bella-wacs
Last edited by glennny on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: The Chocolate Chips

Post by chocolatechips »

I don't see mine either...

I've double checked my email and I sent it at 12:35 pm EST so it should have been in time... I also uploaded it to bandcamp before the deadline ( https://thechocolatechips.bandcamp.com/ ... na-can-see )
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Chips, I will check on your entry. Glennny's was not in my inbox, so it might not hurt to re-send.

Sorry for the glitch.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Melvin FTW in my book with Cory AG coming in second. Excellent work, everyone! (I did note that Holly was not kidding about the crickets.)
-- reve mosquito.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Glennny + Annabella and The Chocolate Chips have been added. Sorry all, my mailbox was full. Yes, fluffy, that's still a thing.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove

Post by chocolatechips »

First off: Many thanks to Spud! Now... My reviews... Listed in order of my enjoyment (top four get votes/green faces)

Melvin - Really cool sound with the guitar layering. Cool sounding drums too. Also loving the sort of backing vocal sound (could possibly be a synth/sample too?) The vocals aren't super strong but they work pretty well for this type of song (and the vocal layering is very impressive.) I was surprised by a lot of the turns this song took but they never felt too random - I think your arrangement found the sweet spot as far as that goes. :mrgreen:

Holly Furlone - Guitar tone isn't great but beautiful vocals will take you far. I love the backing/harmony vocals. It's minimalistic but there's enough movement in the song (and cool arrangement of backing vocals) to keep it from getting boring. Really enjoying this one even though it's not really the type of thing I normally listen to. :mrgreen:

Corey AG - I like the emotion in the vocals and the minimalist arrangement works well for this song. There are some glitches (for example around 2 minutes in) in the audio that took me out of the experience a bit but overall the lofi-ish feel works well for this song. I really like the backing vocals ("oohhhh") as they add a lot to the atmosphere. I think they are a huge part of why this is one of my favorite songs this week. Your song sounds like it was influenced by the album The Bends - Radiohead. :mrgreen:

Glennny+Annabella - Woah. This is wild stuff. I think if it was pared down somewhat it would work a bit better (I'm not crazy about the older male voice bits) ... still I really like the wild music mixed with the young girl voice (and the processing/fx on her vocals sounds really cool) ... I kinda love this but I think it might drive me (more) insane to listen to it repeatedly ... so not sure what that means. :mrgreen:

Mosquito - 42 seconds! Rock n roll. It was a very full 42 seconds too. It sounds like a fully realized thing despite its brevity (ie doesn't sound like a demo.) I like how it just explodes into this full on rock thing. Nice mix.

Jim Tyrrell - I'll start with the thing I liked least about the song: the tone on the bass/guitars (or the lead vocal to a lesser extent.) It kind of comes across as a demo. I do really like the little synthy blips/parts that come in, they're quite unexpected when they first come in and are used well throughout the rest of the song.) The musicianship is tight throughout and although the song doesn't excite me, it's definitely well crafted.

Kenka - I was ready to be blown away after the very good acoustic guitar intro but the vocals are a bit underwhelming when they first come in; they're mixed too low and not sung with enough conviction I think it is. Still the acoustic playing is very good and it's well recorded. And when the vocals get going (on the chorus) they aren't bad at all ... nice melody there too. Digging the little bridge with the falsetto vocals too.

hillbilly - Cool restrained arrangement (I dig the little guitar bitties you have coming in left/right on the intro .. but I kind of miss them when they dissapear as the song goes along). I quite like what you have here but it doesn't sound like a fully realized idea, more like a demo. Still, it's a pretty cool demo. I like it. I think your lyrical idea of "she sees things most people can't see, she can see me" is a very good one.

Berkeley Social Scene - I'm not a big fan of the vocals / melody on this one except for on the chorus which is pretty cool. I like the chorus quite a bit, maybe particularly because of how discordant much of the rest of the song is - the chorus really stands out in contrast. The wonky timing on the guitar solo is kinda cool but definitely feels out of left field. To sum it up; great chorus but I just couldn't get into the rest of it despite the usual strong mix from BSS.

Inflatable Vegetables - Sounds a bit like a Syd Barrett demo (if he had a computer to record with) ... I love Syd Barrett so I should like this more than I do. It's pretty cool ... but uh ... damn I'm not very good at giving reviews. Sorry about that. I want to say something useful. Maybe it's the lead guitar lines I find off putting - they seem kind of out of place with the feel of the rest of it.

Toby Roktot - Recorded too quietly ... yes it's a gentle song but still it should have a fuller more energetic sound/performance. Despite its issues I find it somewhat endearing ...

Jeebas Jones - Bad recording quality which makes it hard to hear if there's a good song here. I hear some decent energy/personality but ... eh, it comes across like you just slapped it together. Sometimes that can work if you really catch lightning in a bottle ...

Frontalittle Squad - Sounds like a lot of fun to put together but ... the verses are hard to get into as I find this kind of joke rap thing a bit tiresome and the instrumental backing isn't too interesting. On the other hand; the chorus is pretty catchy.

It Isn't Human - I like a lot of electronic music (I'm into Aphex Twin for an example) so I'm somewhat in your target demographic I think but this really didn't work for me. There's just nothing interesting to pull me in. You got to make people listen with some bit that really draws them in if you want to take them on an unconventional journey. I think that's true for all styles of music.

Starbuck - Melody is way too random sounding (phrases only seem loosely related to each other .. not helped by the pitchy singing.) Not enough space between your phrases (sounds a bit like run-on sentences.) The change at 1:29 sounds quite awkward (as does the change back...)

___

The Chocolate Chips - This was probably my most ambitious songfight song yet in some ways. My longest by a minute (I usually like to keep 'em short) and I probably spent more time on it than any previous entry. Multiple key modulations/timing changes ... but overall I feel like I bit off more than I could chew this time ... and most importantly couldn't get the vocals right (and ran out of time to get 'em right.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX6QjJHFmR0
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

Thanks for the review, TCC. I must say, things are a lot quieter around Song Fight than they were before I took my long hiatus. Moving slow. Not many reviews. It's a bit sad! I appreciate you taking the time. I'm going to start jotting my reviews this afternoon...
hi!
chocolatechips
Push Comes to Shove

Post by chocolatechips »

Agreed --- the lack of reviews lately is a bummer ... I try to always add them ... I think the joke was the first time I didn't manage to add full reviews.

Still I keep at it even without feedback as I enjoy the process ... but if everyone took the time to add reviews it would be great
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

I've listened a couple times, but while focused on other tasks.
I REALLY like Holly's vocals. Makes me sad to be the person immediately after her, because her vocals are so good.
Surprised to hear more electronic sound from Glennny. Doubling vocals .... I think both our entries may have been stronger if we had used the best take of each phrase and maybe not used the other ones?
Usually I hate long intros, but Melvin's held my interest.
Cory was another example of strong vocals over a simple background. I liked Holly's melody more, but your guitar parts.
Jeebus Jones. Sounds like you're having fun, but sounded muffled to me. Esp the vox.
BSS. I liked this a lot, instruments were strong as always. Liked the tempo changes...

Out of free time. Will try to post more later
facebook.com/ivegband
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Surprised to hear more electronic sound from Glennny
it happens:
https://soundcloud.com/glenartrock/glennny-videoland

I'm working on my reviews. They'll post over the weekend at some point.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Holly Furlone
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Holly Furlone

Post by Holly Furlone »

Dayuum! This is a good one. In no particular order (other than how they were streamed when I logged in), here are some of my thoughts:

Melvin-I love the big sound/anthem feel of this. And I'm absolutely making the word "imperfectionista" part of my vocabulary.

CoryA.G.-Not sure if it was intentional but I really like the way your beginning lead guitar parts don't quite match up with the tempo of your other guitar. Seems to illustrate the message in your song. Nice harmonies!

The Chocolate Chips-Though for me it kind of created a different atmosphere than the rest of your song, I love the feel of your chorus. When it feeds into the breakdown at 3 minutes, it's got a nice surf vibe which'll get my vote every time.

Toby Roktot- Love the flow of this song. The loose sound of the vocals work so well with the brushed up drum beat.

Frontalittle Squad- I didn't quite connect to this song but if that was half as fun to record as it was to listen to, vote.

Glennny & Annabella-The vocals were pretty interesting on this one. Production-wise, I'm in awe; sounds like a lot of work.

Jim Tyrrell-This is totally a 'driving with the windows down and the sun roof open' kinda song. Love your harmonies and the arpeggiated synth effect you used. Good stuff!!

If It Isn't Human- You had me on the hook at the beginning and I waited it out. I think I'll have to listen a few more times to pick up on the vocals and lyrical relevance.

Jeebus Jones-I like this a lot. It has a familiar sound (that clearly you made your own). This'd be an 'at the bar' favorite.

R. Mosquito- Short, hard and sweet. Sounded like more...

BSS-You guys just keep churning 'em out! I love the breakdown at 1:05. It's got a Shins feel just there (a la 'Caring Is Creepy'), which I happen to love.

Starbuck- Sort of a TMBG vocal sound. I like it. The tempo change was unexpected but interesting enough. Love your use of 'social inertia.'

Inflatable Vegetables- I really, really dig the aged sound and poetry of this song. Vote.

Hillbilly-Man, another song that I wish was longer. Great bones. I want to hear more; really like the tone of your voice.

Kenka-I love the guitar on this. Vocals were hard for me to hear but that worked because it forced me to go back in with the headphones. This is a great song.

Holly Furlone- That's me. Chocolate Chips and Inflatable Vegetables, thanks for the feedback. This was a fun one for me. I recorded the guitar part on a crappy little nylon string in the truck during lunchbreak and finally figured out (basically, anyway) how to use multitracking on garageband. Even though it was 'slightly' out of tune I liked the sort of gritty sound that the nylon put out. I have to figure out how to get rid of the audible transitioning between tracks but that may not be something I can do with a program like garageband. I'll keep working on it. At any rate, I had fun recording the harmony tracks and am excited to play it out live :)
melvin
Push Comes to Shove

Post by melvin »

It Isn’t Human
Nope, it’s not human. Sounds like the drum track of a song that could be good, but there’s not a whole lot here. We may never know.

Glennny & Annabella
You had me at the tambourine. It sounds amazing! I really like the groove you lay down in this track. But what the fuck is wrong with that chick singing? Sorry, terrible joke. Cover her eyes. It’s really cute. Fun little track. The quivering synth made me think of the Out Run song. Who remembers this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McsDz43PtYo

The Chocolate Chips
I like this. Drums and bass sound good. Catchy little chorus. I’ve been listening to a fair bit of reggae lately and the chorus gives me a similarly sunny and chill feeling. Feels cold and dark going back to the verse and it’s kind of a downer. Nice job overall.

Starbuck
Huh. This song has a good framework and solid instrumentals, but there are some problems with the vocals—some awkward lyrics and pitch problems, but also timing problems that are so consistent, I almost wonder if there was some recording latency or if the track somehow got pushed out of alignment? Anyway, keep working at it and you will get better.

Jeebas Jones
I enjoy your vocals and the vibe of your recordings, which seem to be captured with a mic in a room. In my mind’s eye, it’s not even the basement or the garage—it’s the living room. If this was a polished studio recording, I bet it wouldn’t have nearly as much soul.

Kenka
Well done! This is pretty cool. Real nice singing and playing. From a production POV, I’d say it could use more volume on the vocals in spots and less reverb on everything. But these quibbles are far outweighed by the solid writing and strong performance.

Cory A.G.
Pretty guitar intro. This may sound weird, but your room noise sounds exactly like what my room noise sounded like for years! I think it’s a PC fan or something. It’s so recognizable to me—it was familiar the second I heard it. I think you tried to gate it out between the first couple of guitar phrases, but it’s there. OK, I digress rather pointlessly. This is a gorgeous track! I love your vocal performance. So sweet. This is a review, so I feel obliged to provide some kind of critique. I think the song could use a slightly stronger hook in the vocal melody. The tone, pitch, delivery, harmonies… it’s all so impressive, I think if you found a way to extend the melody a note or two higher in the chorus sections, you could have a more memorable hook pop out. Two cents. I voted for you. Very, very nice work.

Holly Furlone
Great vocals. I have little else to say about this—just some really, really good singing. I wish I could sing like this. Like, the guy version of this.

BSS
Good track! I like pretty much everything about this. This is my kind of sugar chorus. Overall, things are catchy and the playing is great. Makes me miss making tunes with Ken playing real drums. Tasty guitar bits from G man too. Good stuff, guys.

Hillbilly
In headphones, the panning in this track is distractingly wide. Takes away a little bit from a very nice fragment of a song. Did you intend it to be this short or just lack the time or ideas to fill it out more? In any case, nice playing and singing.

R. Mosquito
Another shorty! And too bad, because I was loving this. Dude, I dig your sound. This sounds like it was composed to be short, rather than like it just trailed off. Still works. One of my favourite tracks of my own was called One Two and was just a minute long (it was written for a side fight a long time ago). Longer is not always better. That’s what she said.

Frontalittle Squad
I hate to not like this, cause the lyrics are all kinds of clever and funny and the delivery is mostly great, but I just hate the beat so much, I can’t listen to it. Don’t know why it annoys me so much, but it really does. Sorry!

Inflatable Vegetables
You kill me, man! The combination of strangely low-fi recording with deadpan wit and catchy melodies has caught me off guard, both this fight and the last one I reviewed. Amusing. I like it.

Jim Tyrell
If I remember correctly, I think you are a gigging musician, and this sounds like it’s being played by a one man band with a drum machine and a PA system. The songcraft and performance are nice, but I can’t get past the production. My advice: reduce or eliminate the reverb and use a microphone on your guitar. These two changes will quadruple the amount of soul to your sound.

Toby Rokot
I like your mellow, warm voice. I also like the warm vibe of this song. Obligatory critique: there are timing problems. The rhythm of the instruments and the vocals falls apart here and there throughout the song. That’s something to work on.

Melvin
This track is heavily influenced by a band called Deafheaven. It's actually pretty much a rip-off, except my rendition is a little poppier and has vocal melodies instead of screaming (which is a lot harder to do than you may think). So it's been really fun to be back to making music lately, but I have been using Adele samples and screamo knock-offs as a crutch. I’m obviously not tapping into my deepest sources of inspiration yet. But I figure I need to start somewhere…

Thanks for the reviews and to all the fighters for showing up.
hi!
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Chocolate Chips - Some very cool chord progressions, and the modulation worked well, too. Really enjoyed the bass part in the outro.
Frontalittle Squad - I like 3/4 of the chorus, but the last line loses too much power. Love the guitar solo. The first half of it. Make that the first quarter, and the last half. Long. Like the concept of Anna turning everyone against each other, and especially like the girl parts.
Hillbilly - Like your acoustic guitar part. At start, sounded like there were maybe some eq problems, tho?
It Isn't Human - Anna doesn't hear anything that has to do with the song title. :) Keep trying.
Jim Tyrell - I like the message of the chorus. I didn't catch the melody the first time, maybe one of the harmonies was throwing me off.
Kenka - Good vocals. I like your chorus, and the bridge, but not the verses so much.
R. Mosquito - Very strong, complete sounding song, in <1/4 the time everyone else.
Starbuck - I think your verse 1 melody was stronger than the other parts. I think V2 you had too many words, and you got your timing messed up. Bridge is good, too. I like the bass in the whole song, and that little fluttery keyboard part in the background. The tempo changes didn't work well this time. I think I may try a song with a ton of tempo changes, just to try to get the transitions working.
Toby Roktot - On the first chorus, there were those notes you didn't quite hit. You got them the second time, tho. Maybe you were more warmed up?

I Veg - Recorded in an unused bathroom at work, as usual. I went in with verse one, and the first line of the chorus. I don't like my outro guitar part. Originally it was a harmony to another guitar part, which I hated. Ran out of time, and I thought it sounded ok at the time. After Chips review, I listened to some Syd Barrett again, and really enjoyed it.

Votes: Listening through everyone again. I like Berkeley, the Chips, Cory, Holly, mine, Jim T, Kenka, Melvin, RMosquito, Starbuck... so I'm voting for all 10 :D
facebook.com/ivegband
coryag
A New Player

Post by coryag »

it Isn’t Human

I'm..new here. I sat through waiting for the lyrics but they never came. Instrumental! I like this robotic sound. I totally could see some weird, sci-fiish music video to this song

Glennny & Annabella

The drums and all the instruments in the beginning are awesome, I love how it builds up..then the vocals hit. Not really sure what to say about them to be honest. BUT never the less I did like the whole feel of the song.

The Chocolate Chips

This was really catchy! The only thing I could find is there were a few points in the song I couldn't make out the lyrics..other that that I really really loved the sound of this!

Starbuck

I like how the vocals start out immediately, not a lot of songs can start out that way. I did hear a few pitchyness issues on the vocals, I couldn't find anything on this track that just couldn't be fixed. keep making more!

Jeebas Jones

Like the vocals, very soulful/bluesy/rocking. How could you not like it? Production wise..is this a live track? That's what it sounds like to me..I'm just wondering because I'd love to hear a track from you that seems more up front if that makes sense. It sounds like a live track but someone is recording it from far away. I want to hear more!

Kenka

Ok, this is great! Love the beginning, love the vocals. Like Melvin said maybe a little less reverb on some parts but well done!

Holly Furlone

Love the tone of the guitar, love the vocal! What else can be said!? :D

BSS

Wow! This is great even the instrumentals are catchy!

Hillbilly

Liked the singing, and guitars and everything but as others said, was this intended to be so short?

R. Mosquito

Well well, what a catchy rocking piece. Because of it being on the short side it sounds like it could be the beginning of A sitcom or show. I like it!

Frontalittle Squad

Please don't be offended. I really don't know what to say about this.

Inflatable Vegetables

Wow, this was great. the lo-fi upbeat,witty lyrics and catchy melodies what's not to like? The chorus was my favorite part, still humming it actually!

Jim Tyrell

I kind of agree with Melvin on this one, synthetic sounding instruments which isn't bad in some cases..but I think this song deserves more production value! Your vocal deserves it!

Toby Rokot

Very mellow,warm awesome sounding vocals. really dug the lyrics too. I was gonna say, I sensed some timing issues but you've already been told that. Keep making more!

Melvin

Man, this actually reminded me a lot of the Foo Fighters LOVE LOVE how it seems to build and build and build and then kinda slows down and majorly picks back up at like 2:08! Only thing Is I had to put on headphones to hear some of the lyrics, other than that this is one my favorites. VOTE.

Cory Ag, or Cory A.G.

HA! Melvin, reading your review about the room noise made me laugh. It frustrates me to no end!
I think I actually found the noise was coming from my hard drive and fans both..
I'm currently disabled but I'm working on getting money for better equipment.
I really really wanted to add some keyboard before submitting this piece, but ran out of time..but a lot of people said they liked the minimalist sound of it. Now, I'm kind of glad I didn't.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Berkeley Social Scene
We had 2 odd sessions. Odd in that Ken was not there. So Lunkhead was on drums and had the producer cap on. That meant Martin on vocals and bass, and yours truly on guitar. The 1st session we wrote the music. The pre-chorus with the tri-tone was the germ for the song. Martin had a melodic bass line that became the verses; I interpreted the line into the blappy chords. Martin also wrote the chorus. I wrote the bridge which developed from the melodic line I had for the chorus. Of course as a band we developed the tweaks and nuances the more we played the music. Anna is Martins mother, so naturally he wrote a song about his mom. Ken added keys from home later. The 2 tempos was ambitious, but I’m glad we did it. We chose what felt right. I think they were 117 and 85. If it were me I’d scooch them to 120 and 80 to have cleanly divisible relationships of time. I’m glad Lunkhead stuck to the notion of 117 and 85, it feels great. The bridge was busy so long soaring e-bow was the natural solo. I love the mix Lunkhead did. Kens keys really fill this out nice too. I love this track, but I’m not objective.

The Chocolate Chips
This tempo is a bit slow. I generally feel like the song drags a little. If you were to keep this tempo I think you need a heavier beat. The bass is really sweet! Your vocals are a bit low in the mix and often searching for a melody. Usually I find your melodies hookier. The chorus is nice. This is a cool song. Overall I enjoy it. Drums, bass and guitar sound nice together.

Cory A.G.
Wow, beautiful vocals. So much potential, but this recording is a mess. The tempo fluctuation drives me nuts. I love your voice and how emotive it is, but the almost incidental strumming I find annoying. I’d love to her you sing over a lush Sigor Ros kind of backing track off Takk or something. The backing vocals are really nice too! I’d love to hear you use a click track and orchestrate something. I’ve listened to this several times, I don’t get the structure. Perhaps I should listen with pen and paper to make sense of it. Anyway great feel! I totally want to hire you to do vocals sometime. I’m excited to hear your next entry! Keep it up!

Frontalittle Squad
Genre bias. You have not won me over. With enough funk or comedy I might be into it. I’m not. You’re doing it well I suppose. I mostly hate the drum sound and it’s so loud in the mix.

Glennny & Annabella
I worked on the music for ten days. My favorite thing to do is work on music, especially on the iPad. It got down to the wire to lay down the vocals. Annabella is my 9 year old daughter. I used up one of my coupons (I often get coupons from my kids for birthdays and fathers day etc, for strategy games or vocal sessions etc.) to get her to sing for me. Just as the BSS song was about Martins mom Anna, I thought I ought to have my Anna sing a 1st person song. So it was due at 9am, I got Annabella up at 5:30AM to cut the vocals. Hence the raspy-ness in places. She did like 5 takes, and I cut up and mixed together takes, trying to get the best moments of each, and having fun with panning and doubling etc. The pressure was on, so I didn’t really playback the vocals a lot and get them to where they should be. Annabella could do a better job in better circumstances also, but in the end I liked the result. Annabella says “it sounds like a scrap book”. I think she’s in the best take, one voice at a time camp. I hope I can use a coupon to get her to star in a video for this. Thanks for the kind words!

hillbilly
This is great! Great guitar playing, you’re really slamming the acoustic to make up for the lack of drums, good feel, great execution. Oh yeah, the abrupt ending sounds like a mistake. Bummer, started so cool, actually sounds like it’s just a start.

Holly Furlone
I’m getting used to your singing voice. No doubt you can really sing. You have this affectation to your singing voice that usually bugs me, but I’m getting into it. I call this the Springsteen effect. Bruce talks like a normal guy then he has this weird drawl accent thing that’s out of nowhere. Maybe I listen to too much indie rock. In any case nice melodies! Great harmonies! I don’t think the single guitar is enough. I really want bass and drums especially once the 2nd verse hits. Good enough for a vote. Good job! BTW garageband has some awesome drums these days, I highly recommend playing with them!

Inflatable Vegetables
Catchy little song. Why the lo-fi? Reminds me of that Bowie 4 song EP with Dig Everything. Did someone say Syd Barret? I agree. Love to hear you get more fidelity.

It Isn't Human
Are these Holly’s drums? C AGs? It’s a good beat. I can do inventory to it.

Jeebas Jones
Sounds live! Kudos for live band! Totally standard rock song and progression. Is there a bass guitar? I don’t hear it, I really want some bass, and you desparately need some lead lines on guitar or slutty sax, or harmonica etc. Rhythm guitar is pretty quiet too. The kick and snare however are rockin! It’s a nice demo, it needs some chrome!

Jim Tyrrell
I’ve always liked you a lot better live than in recordings. There are some cool aspects to this, it’s a good riff. The melody is pretty weak, especially considering how level the chords are beneath. You could really soar over this groove. I could stand for a proper solo as well. The riff has kind of a new wave Haircut 100 love plus one chucking groove. Great platform to explode from, but it doesn’t happen.

Kenka
Nice guitar hook! This really begs for drums and bass. Nice shaker. Cool demo. Love to hear the full band treatment.

Melvin
Return of the Melvin king! Nae saian luume', Lle naa belegohtar!
Sorry I got so happy I had to express it in Melvish. This is the clear winner. I love the drama. I love to hear your vocals. The dynamics are beautiful! The best parts are the catchy melodies. The instruments rock! Everything sounds spectacular! The structure is really interesting. This is a gem for the ages! One of my favorite Melvin tracks! I’d love to be in the band that plays this live, it’s such a fun song! Awesome! VOTE

R. Mosquito
This rocks. I’m glad I didn’t follow Melvin. What the Hell? So short! I didn’t get the memo about doing a short song this week. Very cool, I want more!

Starbuck
The vocals really need some auto-tune massaging in a gentle way. There are some moments of sourness that makes me cringe. I know, I’m one to talk with all my pitchy vocals or auto-tune abuse. Weird we have another tempo change song in the mix. I find the vocals too loud in the mix. I’m not a fan of the drum sound either. Nicely written song though! Love to hear the final version when everything is executed perfectly.

Toby Roktot
I like the chord change to the chorus, I wish there was more of a dynamic shift as well. The verses are so mellow. The chorus could really stand to have some belting out. It’s a nice little mellow song. Cool stuff.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

First off, THANKS to everyone reviewing the songs... That said, I posted a note several weeks previous that I should be the last person to review someone else's song's and songwriting. I have to reiterate that feeling. i know, i know...i was a little shit a few times and posted a few reviews which, if they were me being the little shit, well, I'm Sorry. ( i do remember being at the ATL airport, stranded, and felt the need to lash out at SOMEBODY....(uh, don't lash out at the atlanta airport workers....not a good outcome)
So, that's it....
The fact that people take the time, have the energy and actual talent to compete on this site amazes me. The production on most songs is awesome. A few competitors really have 'it'...you know who you are.
Blokes like me ...well, we have songfight.org

So, thanks again for all the hard work you all do to make this site so enjoyable. I truly enjoy listening to each and every song submission.

A side note: my songs are tame because my wife says " you're not a fuckin' punk anymore, so quit acting like one !" Thank god for 'memories'
Toby
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Oh Yeah...Melvin, I have innate timing issues....that's from being trained as a drummer !!! thx.