Splice - online music collaboration

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Splice - online music collaboration

Post by fluffy »

A coworker turned me onto this thing, Splice, which lets you collaborate on music projects. It supports a whole bunch of DAWs, and it looks like you don't all have to be using the same one as long as you're only using basic stuff or Splice's own plugins (which cost money,but the core system is free).

I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet but it might be a lot easier than emailing mp3s around.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Splice - online music collaboration

Post by Chumpy »

Looks pretty interesting. Currently I collaborate with folks by sharing .band projects on Dropbox, which works well enough, but you still end up having to do a lot of manual merging of changes, and it's easy to miss stuff. A git type revision control system for a DAW would be a killer app IMHO.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Splice - online music collaboration

Post by fluffy »

Yeah. I'd really love something Git-esque, and at one point was designing a collaboration-focused DAW system that took Git concepts a lot further (everything on the timeline was basically a submodule-equivalent), but I lost interest when I couldn't get past the usual "takes too much work and I have a day job that wouldn't touch this with a 500-foot pole" issues.