Review Street (Meeting Street Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Review Street (Meeting Street Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Meet you on the corner with your briefcase full of reviews.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Review Street (Meeting Street Reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

A couple submitters had issues. One sent a .m4a not a .mp3. I didn't put them in the fight. If they send a .mp3 they will be added. Another had a discrepancy between band name in the email and band name in the file, so I made a call, and asked for clarification. Otherwise hopefully everything is up correctly (crosses fingers).
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

sweet strat , meeting place.mp3
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 190 times
man i hate to be mean, but when you download a backing trak and try to rap and you can't. At least try to learn to play, your voice suxs like mine. Learn to play.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Berkeley Social Scene
As usual, the guitars sound fantastic, but it's Martin's punky manic overwrought vocals that really make this song stand out for me. I also really like the car imagery, like 'freedom under our wheels' and 'where the rubber meets the road' stand out and are excellently and memorably sung. I've got my lighter out during the guitar solo. BSS tunes don't always grab me, but this one does.

Chumpy and the Bitfields
The vocals trail off limply in spots, and are sometimes sung slightly off time. Dat vocal confidence is elusive. Mr. Jerkatorium had a tight schedule in June, so I went it alone this time. Am pleased I managed to get my guitar to sound all shimmery, almost like an electric piano at times.

James Owens
This is a sloppy, charming, hooky little tune, the "let's get together on meeting street" bit is nicely upbeat, and then other parts like more pensive "we learn about ourselves, that's how it's supposed to be" work well as a contrast. I'm OK with the timing sloppiness in general, I think it works well to create a fun kind of vibe. However, right around the 10 second mark, it sounds like a line was sorta flubbed, it's starts out with 'Meeting' but then just stops and goes 'la la la'. I would have tried to fix this, as it's uncomfortable.

johndisk0
I don't like the way you appropriated the Soggy Bottom Boys material, I think you used too much of it. I think it would have been better to go with an old-school hip-hop beat on like an 808, rap over that, and bring in samples from the original to help you out in the chorus, or maybe as backup vocals.

That popping 'p' sound on the vocals explodes into my headphones at 0:18, gotta watch those, they are not good. Happens again at 0:40. The first verse is not awful, your flow needs work, but it's not a train wreck yet. I almost always appreciate your rhymes, and this time is no different. Flow is important, and at around 'dude and catastrophe' your timing gets decidedly wack. The train gets back on the rails for a bit but falls off again on 'I got no friends'. Those timing issues are a total buzzkill. Go and listen to Public Enemy's Miuzi Weights a Ton starting at 04:00. In this section Chuck D raps without rhyming, which still sounds pleasing to the ears because of the way he flows and emphasizes words that fall on beats.

Klownhole
You guys are getting tighter, and your vocal delivery is strong and badass. I want to hear you guys do a Minutemen cover, you can totally sound like D. Boone. The lyrics are still pretty random, but hey, that's kinda your thing. I think if you would have spent like 15 minutes more on the lyrics it would have better.

The Kraken Lives
Gorgeous production, dig the way the guitars and synth work together. The rapping is pretty good! There are a few spots
where the timing isn't quite right, but for the most part everything lands on beat, even when jamming a lot of syllables in a small amount of time. Good stresses and attitude on delivered lines too. The "I'm sick of all your buzzwords" verse is particularly good.

MooseMuse
Great sounding spiritual, you might have convinced me it was a traditional gospel tune, if it were just a bit more poetic. The arrangement and singing is right on point, well done. The way it cuts off at the end is too abrupt, let's hang around for a several seconds in the church and let it sink in, I want to hear the voices echo and fade. The lyrics fit the theme nicely, and rhyme well, but come up short on evocative and religious imagery.

Rabbit & Ram
This is the place where our dreams come to die. I'm not the only one who imagined Meeting Street as being kinda bleak. I like the lyrics very much. On the 'skeletons rattle their bones' at 0:56 it bugs me that the trailing 's' sound of the two vocalists are out of sync. There are a couple of other spots where the two vocal lines are also slightly out of sync. I think it would have been worth it to try to fix these in your DAW or a wave editor. I enjoyed the melody, arrangement, instrumentation, and especially the lyrics.

Rick and the Unabridged
One take live recording? The sloppiness here is more irritating than charming. I've had my fill of pentatonic guitar noodling from my own lame red-eyed jam sessions. I think you have the germ of a good idea here, it's just not well expressed. The bluesy feeling you guys create here nice, but too unfocused an herky-jerky to hold my attention, especially for over 6 minutes.

Scott Gesser
Synergy, compiling, data filing, love the nerdy verses and lyrics on this tune. I think the channel change sound first heard at 0:54 works really well as a percussive sound on the chorus and during the solo, dig it! And the 'Hey Hey' on the pre-chorus is also quirky and cool. I also appreciated the stereo panning on the 'i just want to meet with you' bit. It might be too early to tell, but this might be my favorite song of the fight.

Squirrels in the attic
Glad to hear you the vocals less buried in the mix on this one. Interesting that you guys and BSS both went with a 'rubber meets the road' line, and I like it here too. This may be the tightest Squirrels tune to date too, which I think is good, you guys threw us a bone on listenability without sacrificing too much of your squirrelly weirdness which I like.
Last edited by Chumpy on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Gonna be a easy win for Berkely this week, good job very enjoy.
I like Scott's sound, good recording.Don't really grab me, not my cup, but not bad.
Klown hoe---wow i can't stop this quick enough,sorry but i;m not in the mood to fight and stick objects in my eyes this morning. Are you all ways angry? whats wrong, do you have a small pecker and want to fight or what?
Rick---good cords, bass was on spot,the worse lead i have heard in a while',you couldn't carry tone in a bucket. you have a good voice, work on your recording,but yall really sux, don't think my 2 cents can help, hire a guitar player,they will play for a beer or two, better yet rob free music from the internet, yall might as well sell your equipment and buy some party goods.
John Disko---Try not to hate me but that really suxed, why would you want to do that, did it hurt? Can i buy a CD.
Last edited by hillbilly on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

voted for john Disko have never heard anything like that before
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Moose moose---Boring, good harmony.
Rabbit and ram---lord have mercy, whats up with all this choir music.
james owens---sell this to Sesame Street or Barny.
Squirrels---Worse recording i have heard in a while.
Chumpy---not bad, the more i listen the more i like.
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

Chumpy wrote: Klownhole
... I think if you would have spent like 15 minutes more on the lyrics it would have better.
History says otherwise.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Disko--- you are a new ringtone.my friends love it.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The .m4a person re-submitted their song a while ago and I just now got a chance to add it to the fight. They are "Too Far Over", check 'em out.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

Too Far Over
I feel like there is a good song worth listening here, beneath booming drums, muffled sound and the fucked up wind chimes sounds and gnarly digital artifacts. A lighter touch with such atmospherics would have helped, they overwhelm the song in places. The noise solo starting at 1:34 is pretty good, but also needs toning down, and the song underneath could be mixed to be a lot less muffled. The noise at the end is just about right, but the crunkly chimes that are throughout the verses (example at 2:05-2:10) just distract. I think I get the Sonic Youth kinda vibe you're going for. I like the underlying song more than I expected to, "slow growth, soft rock" is a nice moment, and there are more.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

Meatwad wrote:
Chumpy wrote:Klownhole
... I think if you would have spent like 15 minutes more on the lyrics it would have better.
History says otherwise.
I think you should have explored the Dick Estate concept more, what was the deal that was reachedI? listened to this several more times today, the scat followed by the scream and laugh is pretty punk, dig it FUUUCK YA. HAH, nice yodel at the end.

In a more specific criticism, the rhymes "Monkey Meat" and "Stinky Feet" are bad and hurt. The middle school rhymes are out of place in the heavy sound you guys have. "Dick Stampede" or "Rinse Repeat" may have come to you in that 15 minutes, which would have been arguably better.

Hah, and you might get a kick out of this. A sensitive friend of mine who I showed Song Fight to said "WTF is up with Klownhole? I think those guys were trying to hurt me or something. They just kept yelling MEETING STREET over and over again."
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

am i just getting old , how did this win. lot of you guys were a lot more enjoyable. i think this sucks.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle

Post by Chumpy »

hillbilly wrote:am i just getting old , how did this win. lot of you guys were a lot more enjoyable. i think this sucks.
It's been proven repeatedly that I have really no clue how the masses are going to vote, it's hard to tell. In Rick and the Squirrels case, my guess is like Joe Cocker, they got by with a little help from their friends.
user
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: gaming
Recording Method: Microsoft Word
Pronouns: she/him

Post by user »

hillbilly wrote:i think this sucks.
I found this slightly modified file on my computer this morning.
Attachments
johndisk0_vs_hill.mp3
Nothing more than johndisk0's song with hillbilly's intro tacked on.
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 160 times
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

disko0 feat'n hillbilly.mp3
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
I searched the internet and this came up, Disk0 we are a hit.More i listen more i like it, fux the haters. people are trying to buy this.