Sacrilicious! (God Will Give You Blood To Drink reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Sacrilicious! (God Will Give You Blood To Drink reviews)

Post by jimtyrrell »

Sounds like it was SOMEBODY's last supper....
Freudian Slip
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Freudian Slip »

Hey, Cool... and is it served on up in:

"Right hand of the Father
Just Minutes From the Pearly Gates"
Souvenir Shotglasses

Call today and get a second one for free
Great for gift giving and alternate holidays.
(+$9.95 shipping and handling)

And folks, don't forget to ask our friendly sales people
about bonus offers available for the next 100 callers only...

Order now and you, too can enjoy the chic stylish look of our exclusive luxury "God y Vino" Mesh and tarp insulated tote for this and many other non-coagulating consumables. Avoid getting crucified at you're next social gathering by showing up at the door with this fashionable and functional velcro closure, adjustable strapped tote, which also comes with rugged and handy, built in, padded pockets to conveniently store up to 4 of our sure to be trendsetting shot glasses.
Conversation wont be the only thing flowing freely and when you whip out your own designer combination pocket knife, machete, bottle opener, jackhammer,nail gun & cork screw. (power supply sold separately) Everything you need to feel so pampered it'll be like you've died and gone to Heaven.

What would Jesus do? Well, I don't know if he owns a Rolex
but I know he'd want one of these.

Call and order today!
Cash, electronic check and all major credit cards accepted.
To Do Is To Be. --Socrates
To Be Is To Do. --Plato
DoBeDoBe, DoBeDo --Sinatra
I could 'see' you-- humming away (a few pill bottles on the sideboard)...But it just didn’t measure up to the insanity that is Freudian Slip...
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Niv's Review Paragraph

Go blood! Go God! Blasphemy! Heretics! Yeah SF! Onto the reviews. Hey, JVA is using the same talkany setting used during Fluffy's Themesong. But that was godawful. Next song quickly. Last week Luke Henley's song was my favorite from all 4 fights. This is ok, walking the tightrope of bad. I think I'll go to the next song now. Oy...it's Neil Thrun. Is he worried about getting mad cow disease from the blood of God?! Did he just talk about Jesus and masturbation? Someone's gonna be hearing from the Religious Right for that one. Next Feldspar and the immortality fruit smoothie. Short and not remarkable. Next, Sissysavage. God doesn't need an answering machine- he's omniscient! Would've liked more song instead of skits but it's an ok tune. Next, Electrocushin. Hmmm, I don't have anything to say about that one. It was incredibly forgettable. Next. Butterskoskostage. Hey someone's got a vocoder. It's like Daft Punk but nowhere near as interesting. This would not keep me on the floor at the club. Next. Max the Cat bring the plowshares and the infidels. That was only a decent Max the Cat song which is still better than most of this fight. Frontrunner. Next. Magnetbox. And I still don't like the singing. It's like a very nasal Joey Ramone after a couple downers. Ugh. 4:15! Off I go to the next tune. Unicorn...this reminds me of my song "1000 Words" (http://www.newzeromusic.com/niveous/1000 Words.mp3). Same mumbly type vocals. But his actually has words, he just garbled them. There's some potential here but I'm off to the next song.Boltoph. I wish he would leave the vocals alone on the first verse. There's something that I don't like about the screaming parts. Too much conversation with the audience. This is the kind of aggression I'd want out of a song with this title. It's an ok song but it runs way way way too long. I wanna hear Boltoph cover Motorhead. Lastly, who's in the SFO today? Ok, how does this connect to CCS and Glenn's bits. The SFO song at the end is gonna be so scatterbrained. Vote time. Max the Cat with the vote. Boltoph with #2. Unicorn gets #3 and I'm done reviewing for this week. Yay!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Boltoph - Your tune RULES!!!!! Awesome job.

;p
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

So I'm not streaming this fight, just downloading from the front page, and the Songfight Orchestra song wants to open as a text document. I think it's because it doesn't have an mp3 suffix on the file?

I downloaded it to my hard drive, renamed it as an mp3, but it still thinks it's a text document.

Just a heads up before my reviews tomorrow ....

j$
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I got the same problem J$. So it must be set up wrong or sumting.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

In the future we will be able to hear music with our eyes.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

played fine for me. must be eddie bangs.... :wink:
Hi!
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Feldspar - I'm in a good mood, but not in THIS good a mood. I'm catching things like immortal smoothies and like, mild Crash Test Dummies twang in your voice. I dunno, this is well-executed but doesn't sit right with me.

Butterskoskostage - This sounds like a polyphonic ringtone/car commercial. Aw yeah, I wanna buy a fuckin Scion. Europop vocoder makes me want to return my Scion, I am sorry. I'm smiling though, and for that I thank you. Capital work. This is a mega ass-shaker.

Justio Von Awesome - I feel like I'm playing an immersive first person shooter that takes place on an abandoned space station and I'm walking around the first level with just my fists. Circa 1993. This makes me very upset in a great way.

Electrocushin - Hahaha, fuck yeah. German-y. I didn't finish it, though, I'm sorry. I wish more happened.

Max the Cat - Like an 80s cowboy tv show theme song. I honestly don't think that's good or bad. It just is. The peformance is well well done, but man I just dunno. It didn't, like, shake me up enough.

Kamakura - I feel like I'm listening to my Monty Python record. Only now it's Morrissey. God damn, a lot of people sing like Morrissey. This is fuckin Las Vegas church-house rad.

Magnetbox - I think this song would benefit greatly from real drums. I understand if that's an impossibilty or something, but it's what first strikes me. Your vocals would work better if you sounded a little less passionate. You sound kind of on the fence, "Should I give a shit about what I'm singing or not? I dunno I dunno." The occasional flatness of the vocals would be more ok if you sounded like you just totally didn't give a damn. This almost has a Vaselines vibe to it, but it needs a high girly voice harmonizing witcha. Also I didn't feel like listening to the whole thing and by the middle I was all like "is MORE!?" It gets a little peppier I guess after that, and a little Stooges-y. I've said enough.

Sissy Savage - I'm into it so far, nice intro. I think the vocals could be a bit louder. I don't like God's answering machine, I'm sorry, but I guess that's His problem. You've got a nice indie voice, it's nice to hear more Gordon Gano influenced voices on Songfight. I like when your voice gets wicked high and desparate. It's goofy-cool. Jussss like you.

Boltoph - The intro sounds like Christian nu-metal. I like what you're doing with the vocals. Ok there you go, you're fucking pissed and I like it. Fuckin Gibby Haynes sounding motherfucker. I'm a little upset when you're NOT pissed. But hey, it's all about contrast. I kin dig. This bridge is sweet action cop drama. I wish you ended on a high instead of a low.

Unicorn - This is some fun-slop kinda stuff, but your voice is a little on the nasal side, like you're trying hard to sound sloppy gritty.

Neil Thrun and the Doom Fairies - I think I've recorded some songs like this. This is off and off-putting a lil' bit. I like your voice in a really weird way though. But, whoah wild I dunno bout this.

Luke Henley (me) - This was originally going to be a Nick Cave rip-off, then I bought a John Zorn album and wanted to experiment a bit. So I recorded the vocals and instrumentation in different keys. And, made it fucked. I don't know, not so good I guess.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

jack shite wrote:must be eddie bangs....
nah, i think if it was, the singing would be a lot better.

[edit: wow, i tried to check it out, and the file won't even download at all! i've sent a new copy to fightmaster@songfight.org , but in the meantime please to enjoy the song here http://voice.songhole.org/songfightorch ... wgybtd.mp3 (somebody please tell me that *this* at least works!)]
13hugh
A New Player

Post by 13hugh »

I'm going to chat about my mate unicorns offering as I don't have a song this week (partly because he pinced my room & 'puter for most of the week). You should know, he's not puting on that voice, he realy odes sound like that!
HANK.
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by HANK. »

Butterskoskostage
- Dig the hard gated guitar, good production, the song is light, bounces and moves, has direction. The vocoder makes me want to slam my head in a car door. It's short and didn't seem like it was.

Arturia
I reeeeeeeaaaally, reaaaalllly don't like this. Sounds like you're whispering in my ear. I reeeeaaaaallllly don't like that. The instrumentation is weak.

Feldspar
- S'all right. Sounds like it could be on a movie like road trip or something.

Lawnmower
- sweet! Metal Zone. I can't hear a damn word that's being sung, drives me insane. Lost interest at 1:18. Good riffin though. I just used mustard that expired 3 years ago. ICK.

Justin Von Sucks

Kamakura
- I knew that one of these was coming. I'm not really enjoying this.

Luke Henly
- I could have enjoyed this if it was mixed better, had a hard time hearing things. I really like 50% of your songs, and don't mind the rest.

Magnetbox
- I don't like the vocal melody much.

Max the Cat
- I dig... mad talented.

Neil Thrun
- UGH

Sissy Savage
- Sounds alot like Violent Femmes.I enjoyed it a bunch!

Unicorn
- Smoke lots of butts, guy? It bounces, but you sound wasted.

Boltph
- Damn, great production! I'd like to hear the vocals louder and the 1st verse more balanced lyically. Love it when it kicks in. Makes me want to smash someone elses head in a car door.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I just noticed the terrible pun in the thread title. Good stuff.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Mac
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Mac »

Max takes another one of my votes... under gunpoint.
I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

[ http://www.twisted-irony.com ]
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Boltoph
+++ Cool intro, sounds like another Boltoph vote. +++
--- Niv was spot on about the unnecessary effect on the verse ---
/// Chorus twice as long as it needs to be ///
--- Verse is about twice as long as necessary, also. We're lacking alot of bass range too. SHould be coming from the kick drum at 200 hz. Or maybe just mix the drums louder. ---
+++ Angry pirate singing on the chorus +++

Butterskoskostage
--- Interestingly annoying blips and beeps. Hate vocoders ---

Electrocushin
--- SHitty sounds repeat while somebody mumbles Lord of the Rings nonsense into a crappy plastic computer mic. ---

Feldspar
--- Bringing the melodically unfortunate GnG ---

Lawnmower Fellatio Service Vehicle
--- Cheap muddy immitation of "Jesus Built my Hotrod" ---
+++ Song ends, a new one starts at 2:00 that is wicked Sabbath muppets. +++
--- Off key "lawnmower" line repeats over and over ---
/// Other song is back, and somehow a bit refreshing. ///
--- Not sure how, but one drum beat is way off every verse ---

Justio Von Awesome
--- von crapfest. Poopoo blps with TTS ---

Kamakura
--- Intro that should have sounded like Rudimentary Peni's "cacophony" record ---
+++ Your vocals sound so much better here than on your previous efforts. +++
/// The harmonies aren't tight, but it's ok ///
--- I wish the drums had come in a minute earlier. Now they're here, I wish they sounded different. ---
+++ Something about a tsunami +++

Luke Henley Disturbing The Peace
+++ Intro cool +++
--- Poor transition. Drums all off beat all over the place ---
+++ I like the eagerness with which you sing all your tracks. +++
--- So why'd you mix the vocals so low? It's not like acoustic guitar or the organ noise clips or poopoo drums are that important ---
Luke, I so want a friend of mine to do your mixing! PM me.

Magnetbox
--- Holy crap, are you autistic? ---

Max The Cat
--- That distorted guitar in the left channel is in the doorway. Get in or get out! ---
+++ lyrics about church of gold, smiting. +++
--- Looped banjo-plucked guitar is too repetitive. Needs another chorus ---

Neil Thrun
--- Once again, where are the Doom Fairies when you really need them? ---
+++ "Blood in his crotch" +++
--- Overall disgrace to the GnG contingent ---

Sissy Savage
+++ New crappy sound +++
--- Oh my god are you going through puberty? Or is that a Gordon Gano impersonation? ---
--- Oh crap, pointless talkover. ---
+++ Oen high hat on the seventh qrtr note of each measure. The beat holds this song together. +++

SFO
--- death dirge turns to messy messy harmony ---
+++ Hard to listen to +++

Unicorn Blood
/// Three turds sitting around a microphone thinking they can be Dave Matthews or Neil Young or something ///
--- But they just don't have it together. ---
+++ Your voice could be cool, but on something else. +++
--- And you need to get ahold of some cadence in the bridge. Then make sure the bass plaeyr know sthe song before you hit 'record' ---

Easy title, tough luck. Boltoph still takes it for me.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

HeuristicsInc wrote:I just noticed the terrible pun in the thread title. Good stuff.
-bill
Shamelessly lifted from Homer Simpson. He says it after eating a waffle he mistook for God.
Justio Von Awesome
A New Player

Post by Justio Von Awesome »

Haha I am loving the reviews I have at the moment (so hilarious, especially the first person shooter one, I kind of gotta a horribly bad old first person shooter vibe too), this song was actually my first attempt ever to do a song on that fruity loops program so I was just screwing around and what not. For next song fight my actual band will be doing a song, and thank goodness no more of those synth vocals right, this time it will be actually sung. We were going to do this song last week but they didn't get around to figuring anything out in time, I had a full sheet of lyrics figured out though so I don't know I guess we messed that one up by procrastinating. But anyways thanks for mentioning my first attempt everyone, even considering how bad it was.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:SFO
that's a pro?
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

tviyh wrote:
EightLeggedOedipus wrote:SFO
that's a pro?
Yes, actually. In this case I found the muddiness and mystery was rather interesting. I think it will be a refreshing dark patch following Glenn and CCS bright bits. Did I skip somebody?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Boltoph - This has a mid 90s Seattle feel to it, nicely done! I like the grind. This is cool, not really my bag, but I can appreciate it very easily. maybe a nice quiet keyboard out of the chorus into the second verse and on? It would add another level of variety and link the two sections together? CONTENDER

Butterskokostage - this is great but it reaches its natural climax at about 1.39 and the rest just feels like it's been dragged out to make it three minutes long. Like a 12 inch remix of a very cool single. I like 'God is good God is great.' Also crying out for a little soloing counterpoint melody in one channel, like what comes in c.2.10 only faster than the rest, to stop it dragging, which it does heavily from this point on. The first two minutes are ace, mind.

Electrocushin - The drum intro is way too long. You only need about 2 bars of that before the great bass line comes in. The crackle on the vocal track is a shame, only because the rest is so clean that whenever it starts up I visualise the sequencer it was arranged in - if you see what I mean? I like the Waits'y whisper of the vocals a lot. And it ends about the right time too. Not bad at all but not leaping out at me.

Feldspar - 'Immortality Fruit Smoothy' is a great image. I know this is B'n'G but I'd like to hear some perky keys noodling alongside the tune, make it even more jaunty and contrast the cool phraseology of the lyric even better. Nice. C ONTENDER.

Lawnmower - Q: how quiet are those vocals? A: Very. They sound (or rather don't sound) very cool - please turn up. Silly metal indlugence on the guitars makes me grin widely. The mix isn't bad apart from the vocals being so quiet, and it's a little bassy, but not distractingly so. Started getting a bit restless at 2.00 because of the mix mainly. Then it stops and goes all arty. Which is funny and annoying at the same time. I admire the way in which your lunacy is actually cleverly controlled. Heh heh. I like this but I don't know if I would listen to this again.

Justio Von Awesome - Shame you used a TTS here - could you not just whisper the words? I mean, it's artwank but it's quite enjoyable for that, and it passes the first test of soundscape - get out while the going's good. Maybe it's just because I saw 'Moog' at the weekend, but I like this. It wouldn't be out of place on the early part of that soundtrack!

Kamakura - I think the lyric to this song is brilliant. really nice work. It's funny and yet certain lines are really moving (how could you think I would ever forgive you? stands out for me.) Transport is shite - hehehe. Nice harmonies. The rest feels a bit underdeveloped. The drums and keys sound a bit artificial, yet I love it when they swell. I'd like to hear a fuller arrangement here - I'm kinda guessing your last minute fight switch might have affected this.

Luke Henley - that's a cool keyboard sound under the start .... I appreciate the chaotic pleasure of this - balance is all over the place but not in a bad way. Sounds like it was recorded live in a barn in the middle of cattle country, which if it wasn't then kudos.

Magnetbox - great music. With just a dash of pomp. The vocals are still a bit distracting (as per last time I reviewed one of your songs) but getting better. realtively :) It might be a question of finding the vocal style that suits you, and writing songs to fit that. When you don't drag out the syllables (as in the chorus) then it sounds much better than when you do. I have this problem too so please don't think I am having a dig. Or maybe you're just one of those people who needs a lot of practice to nail a melody. Please keep submitting - I always enjoy your songs, it's just with a little bit more confidence, I think you will sound pretty good.

Max the Cat - Obviously with a name like mine, I will take huge offence if someone fucks up a Cash style song - but this is pretty spot on. nicely done! Did you play that guitar at half-speed then time warp it up to speed? It just sounds a little flangey / not quite 'right at points'. Just curious. Anyway, CONTENDER.

Neil Thrun - Oh, man. when people say 'you're really improving' they must just mean 'much better mix' :) Nah, actually this is quite entertaining in an annoying 'look at how wacky I am' way. You win the 'God Wanks Too' Award this week. can you bring back the repititious looped keyboards and mix into what you've got here? I think all those good things you had six months ago shouldn't be ditched just because you can play/mix/record better now

Sissy Savage - I like this. The phone message reminds me of HNI:D's 'Jesus and Me' . I want to hear a chorus of singers in the chorus (if you see what I mean) and that bass is a bit too clean and poppy - maybe you should just move it. Don't like the 'throttled falsetto#' but the kick tone you've got is mean mean mean! You know cos I'm crazy ... CONTENDER

SFO - I like the concept and the big organ sound. I like the latin (latin right? Do they mean anything? I did latin a-level but I can't remember any of it.) Suitably short and abrupt. Just a shame that the various vocal parts are slightly out of time with each other, because it makes a wave of vocals rather than hammering home the point. Not bad at all though. I like.

Unicorn Blood - oh don't slur your words! The whole song stumbles over itself throughout, but the tune itself sounds pretty cool. I like the lolloping nature of the bass, the guitar is nice but could do with a bit more tone on it - maybe a little more mid to thicken it up? I like your voice, but when you try and croon towards the end, it doesn't sound as good. Also needs to be louder in the mix. Not much, but at the moment the bass is the lead instrument. While I like this idea (as bass is the coolest instrument) I'm not sure this song supports the approach. Also about 30 seconds too long. Still good.

So to divide up my contenders, all of whom I could easily vote for on any given day, I will try and decide what I don't like about them - Boltoph (verses seriously not my bag musically), Feldspar (a bit ditty-esque when it comes down to it, lyric ultimately inconsequential?), Max the Cat (too much of a pastich? Weird sound artefact on the guitar) or Sissy Savage (I just can't vote for this ... can I?) - I'll have to think about it.
NeilThrun
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by NeilThrun »

j$ wrote:[Neil Thrun - Oh, man. when people say 'you're really improving' they must just mean 'much better mix' :) Nah, actually this is quite entertaining in an annoying 'look at how wacky I am' way. You win the 'God Wanks Too' Award this week. can you bring back the repititious looped keyboards and mix into what you've got here? I think all those good things you had six months ago shouldn't be ditched just because you can play/mix/record better now
OH dont worry they're not ditched. I had intended this to have a harmonica part. It just didnt mesh though. Ive been busy lately, normally I dont submit things if the vision isnt achieved. But i liked the lyrics for this one to much, to let it drift away into my hard drive.

Ill hopefully get a chance to listen to everyones shit tonight. Librarians dont like me playing music in their library.