Who's Change, And Why Is It Coming? (Change Is Coming Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Who's Change, And Why Is It Coming? (Change Is Coming Reviews)

Post by Hoblit »

I hope everybody is ready for the coming change.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Who's Change, And Why Is It Coming? (Change Is Coming Reviews)

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Joblito Y El Banditos: Yes! What a great groove. Love it.

It's a wormhole!
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Smalltown Mike wrote:Joblito Y El Banditos: Yes! What a great groove. Love it.
So badass. Those punk lead vocals are filthy rotten. Last song I heard on my first listen of the fight, and then I listened a few more times for good measure. The Bob and the Bangles tune also left a strong first impression on me, great lyrics and style.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

The Glennny track is an answer to the Nick Soma Locrian challenge.
I was expecting a Nick Soma track in the fight , probably in Lydian.

Did you not submit a song Mr. Soma?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I listened in the random order that the Song Fight home page listed the entries. Coincidentally, that put Hoblit, Paco, and Pigfarmer all in a row. A one-two-three punch of very blunt politics. Some angry dudes in this fight!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
BobandtheBoggles
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard, Jaw Harp, Concertina, Banjo
Recording Method: Focusrite/GarageBand
Submitting as: Bob and the Boggles

Post by BobandtheBoggles »

Chumpy wrote:
The Bob and the Bangles tune also left a strong first impression on me, great lyrics and style.
Hey thanks! I feel like such a high school freshman again. Chumpy liked my lyrics and he (almost!) knows my name :oops: :D
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Chumpy wrote:
So badass. Those punk lead vocals are filthy rotten. Last song I heard on my first listen of the fight, and then I listened a few more times for good measure. The Bob and the Bangles tune also left a strong first impression on me, great lyrics and style.
Thank you, both. I really do appreciate it. I instantly loved the title and was lucky in that from the first time I sat down with it, the ideas came and stuck. I didn't have to fool around about what sounded good or get lost in trying to re-work everything the entire time. It just came together. My only regret was not realizing exactly when it was due, leading to a rushed mix.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Generic wrote:I listened in the random order that the Song Fight home page listed the entries. Coincidentally, that put Hoblit, Paco, and Pigfarmer all in a row. A one-two-three punch of very blunt politics. Some angry dudes in this fight!
Which only emphasizes my own satisfaction in not rhyming "running" & "coming" anywhere in my tune! :) Thank you, for noticing my anger.

There ain't no use in running
Cos ch-ch-ch-ch-change (Change) is coming

Change is coming
No use running
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I didn't even try to rhyme "Coming" in my lyrics. Everything sounded too contrived. Even when compared with "left/heft."

Speaking of rhymes, Bob and the Boggles have some great rhymes in their entry! It was probably a bit too short, but it's better to leave us wanting more than to overstay your welcome. Great work!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

glennny wrote:The Glennny track is an answer to the Nick Soma Locrian challenge.
I was expecting a Nick Soma track in the fight , probably in Lydian.

Did you not submit a song Mr. Soma?
Still working on it. It's in Phrygian... or at least supposed to be in Phrygian. I'll upload it in this thread when it's finished.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I listened to the fight several, but let me know if you need clarification. Cheers!

Blue Rock Jazz Trio - Well, credit for doing the live improv thing, whether in actual trio form or overdubbed. But this meandering noodle-fest doesn't really grab much traction. Late-night headphones on vocals were probably fun to do, but despite several times around the block, not all that fun to listen to. Waaay too long for this too.

Bob and the Boggles - The intro has two different recognizable melodies in them that manage to change enough to avoid being rip-offs. I'll throw them out here when I remember their names. I like the deadpan-ish vocal and the reverb spring send and return at the end. Some good lyrics as well, clever. Totally dig the near sloppy looseness as well.

Glennny
- I don't know all the modes you and Nick discuss, by name, but when I hear them I go "Oh, that". The totally dry drum intro really fascinates me for some reason. Adds to the crispness of the whole track, which is very dry. Helps bring out the tasty guitar tones. The song has interesting changes at times bordering on too busy for me, but just staying on this side of not doing so. Great ending.

Gregg Boethin - Very nice flow to this, the layers of guitars organic and breezy. The vocals are mostly good, the timbre of the voice a nice fit, but pitch issues should be addressed. Still, perfect voice for this music. The slide is a nice touch, mostly but it's making me want to hear true pedal bends. Good track all in all.

Ian Martyn
- This would make a good intro for a Bambi Meets Godzilla type song, this being the Bambi part. Lite atmosphere with hint of spookiness.

Ice Weasels - Despite the REO Chunkwagon intro, I like this a lot. Good melody, velvety production. I enjoy the conversation as well, the narrator finding his inner strength. Hopefully. Interesting the music gets a bit darker underneath the lyrics as they progress, intentionally or otherwise. Starts becoming Depeche Mode-y. Ends a bit quickly, perhaps, but how much further could it go, really?

Jerkatorium
- I always look forward to hearing you guys. Consistently excellent melodies and super delicious vocals. And...check, they're here. Underneath the vocals and jangle layers, what grabs my attention is the bum-bum-bum-bum stomping rhythm. Mostly bass, but it really drives the song. I think I've said this before, but you could whittle a teeny chunk out of this, somewhere on the end side of things, and have it leave you hungering for more. Does that make sense?

Joblito Y El Banditos - Yay Hoblit! Is this a band or all you? Yeah, great punk (of course) with the rabble rousing chorus, shout along hoo-rahs, big nose guitars. I totally dig the caveman bridge and as it grows makes me want to smash some furniture. But not in my own house, thank you. And of course, the political angle is totally appropriate. One way or another becomes a bit scary at the end though.

Johnny Cashpoint - What a great pile of textures. Trash can snare, coo-coo whistle, rubbing on a balloon synths. The snotty guitar is great. I hope this wasn't the one you thought was bad. Was that this song? Anyway, right into the sun we go. Different approach, lyrically, than most I think. Ha! Well that's good, right? You're not afraid of change yourself though, are ya?

Jon Eric - Very heartfelt, earnest presentation. But of course! I like the chord changes under the chorus, they sell the melody better, I think. Solid vocal too. I'm thinking that this could be very autobiographical, which makes it all the more powerful. There's a sadness to it as well, loneliness. I hope you're ok!

Macaque Attack - Strong, as always. I expect the lead vocal to soar off in a wash of reverb, as the music is kind of like clouds rolling by in time lapse. The layering is masterful and sounds so beyond what I could ever put together. The lead guitar is almost a surprise and its tone improves when playing in the higher register, sounding much less canned. Great work.

Paco del Stinko - I wanted to pull a Ross Durand at the start, this title would be perfect for him. Tried a new guitar pedal on this. Subtle, perhaps, but I am pleased with the results, although it's too much on the lead.

Pepper Jane - If anyone in the audience made a sound while you performed this, I would quietly get up and punch them in the mouth. Is that wrong? Delicate and personal, I have to wonder where it comes from, but it's probably none of my business. Still, I'm honored that you shared this with me (us). Great playing, vocals are beautiful, lyrics captivating.

Pigfarmer Jr - This is good but maybe you should have borrowed a few hoo-rahs/oi-oi-ois from Hoblit. Great angle lyrically and so true. But what is America if not hypocritical? We are always a nation of dualities. I might like this more a few more BPM faster, give that guitar a bit more aggression that way. Auto-wah and keys are ice touches. Good song. I usually think of you as an acoustic guy.

Rio Mondo - Good little soundscape that exists just for itself, not the title, really. Cut it to 30 seconds and make it a better commercial. Or threat, or whatever you turn it into at the end.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Well, thanks for the review, Paco! And for the personal concern.

I'm doing much better than this song would imply. It's semi-autobiographical in that I did start a new job a couple of weeks ago, and I am a little frustrated at starting over again, and I did miss the bus on my third day...

But overall I'm pretty happy. Tired, but happy. My family has made some huge changes lately, but it feels like we're finally getting settled in our new environs. For my lyrics, I heightened the emotion behind some of the frustration and dramatized it. I picture the narrator of my song as someone much older than myself, who's not just stalled out in low-level jobs, but whose career has actually gone backwards over time.

Again, I appreciate the review! I'll hopefully have some reviews of everyone else's songs today or tomorrow, along with a mild self-flagellation for the errors in my song.

Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Ah, I remember a Songfight where almost all of the participants also reviewed. I understand that we can't all find the time, and boy do I know. But here is me, doing my part.

Again, thank you to those who have said nice things about my entry (Joblito Y El Banditos). I really do appreciate it.

Here are my words on this fight:

Blue Rock Jazz Trio: The blues intro was promising but I don't feel like it evolved at any point in the very long track. The vocals were a bit muddied in the mix as well. I always try to appreciate folks putting it out there and I try not to be too harsh in my reviews, but I feel that the effort wasn't there. I apologize in advance if that hurts anyone's feelings.

Bob and the Boggles: Although I'm not crazy about this, I think its cute. I like the instrumentation as basic as it is. But the clanky weird feel gives it charm. The lyrics are a bit off as I'm not sure that is a good use of manifest destiny. Vocal delivery could use a bit of work but I'm sure you're working with what you got and to that, you'll always keep getting better with practice. I can appreciate this piece for what you've done.

Glennny: This is a pretty good entry. I think the doubling vocals lose a bit of clarity of the lyrics. I do like the dark, slightly agressive, guitars. I like the pop thumb bass as well. This reminds me a bit of an 80's goth band crossed with an up and coming progressive rock band. Overall I dig the choppy guitar and straight rock feel of most of it. Good work.

Gregg Boethin: This is a bit corny! But I love country and that's what I'm hearing. I really appreciate the arrangement and singing. Your vocal delivery is excellent, capturing all of the nuances of good old fashioned country music vocal work. I particularly like the steel guitar although at times it is a bit gratuitous and even uninspired here and there. I'm sure you went through 5 takes and picked the best one. And when only given X amount of time to get this down, you did a good job with it all. This is one of my favorites this week and I look forward to more from you in the future. Thank you for this piece and your part in making this a good fight. This gets one of my votes.

Ian Martyn: Bleep bloop blop bip blip booop bloop. I'm not crazy about this piece either, but it isn't a negative assault on my ears or anything. It's even got its own charm. I do appreciate that this isn't bringing the fight down or anything but I'm not sure I 'get it'. It is short and peaceful and not bad at all.

Ice Weasels: This one is really good and gets one of my votes. It may be a bit repetitive, I like the simple melody and spacy instrumentation. This is catchy and performed well. And that's just my opinion. My wife, Robin likes it too. I caught her singing it around the house after listening to it. It's airy, big and it draws emotion. Thank you for a wonderful piece this fight!

Jerkatorium: This is indie rock. When I think of the genre and its roots, this is the type of sound that I draw up in my mind. I like the lyrics and the vocal delivery reminds me a bit of Ken Maru but not quite identical or anything. The music is well performed and I like the arrangement and instrument use. The straight rhythm with the tremelo accents along with those pretty keyboard fluttering notes. It's just flat out nice and peppered with ticklish nuances.

Joblito Y El Banditos: I will be going back to remix this. I'll likely take out the first Hoorahs, and the chorus after the bridge break down, leaving the ahhhhhs there to lead back into the final verse. This song facillitated an outlet for my continuing anger about that which is going on around me. I'll always be punk rock at heart. I wish all my songs came together as easily and as well as this one. (Despite the technical difficulties I faced)

Johnny Cashpoint: I think this is a good effort. I even like the harmonies. I think the vocal clarity suffers a bit from them though. It gets a little hard to follow when the vocal cadence is a bit off here and there. I like the overall arrangement but I feel like it lacks a particular cohesiveness at times. I think this is a great entry to this fight though. As for some others, it keeps the fight 'good' instead of bringing it down. Thank you for that!

Jon Eric: This is my favorite entry this week and if we had to go back to the 'only one vote per fight' format, this would have gotten that single vote. I really love the guitar parts and the execution. But what really stands out is the lyrics and vocal delivery. I love the "I Don't Know"s and the way they build up. I feel like you'r 'bottling up your thoughts' and right when you are about to let them spill over, you catch yourself. You have really gotten a lot of control over your voice these days and my God did you put out there in this fight. I don't want to leave out the shakers...and how all of this came together. I am not usually this crazy about this type of music, I listen to folk, but I often relegate it to back ground music on Sunday mornings. This peice stands out and I guess that is why I'm so happy with it. Thank you for giving this to us. This one makes my ye-ole collection and gets a vote. Good work, man!

Macaque Attack: This is another one that my wife seemed to like. I usually don't go for this type of thing but it is hard to turn away from it. I like the big spacey sound and while the vocals seem a bit wavery here and there, it is on and stable enough to forgive. (Perhaps you have some sort of effect on them that keeps them tied in, vocodor or something of that nature.) The executuion of this mostly electronic piece gives me good vibes enough to forgive its length. In fact, you disguise it by making it good enough to not even notice that. Thank you for another good song this week.

Paco Del Stinko: This one gets a vote if not for the lyrics alone. Of course it's not just the lyrics though. I really enjoy your quirky sound and how well you are able to perform. Damn good arrangement and I like the vocal bends on "change" before "is coming"...directly after the ch ch ch ch...which almost makes me laugh. It's strong lyrical content against the less passionate instrumental structure makes it a strange pop song, but a good one. The U.S.A. needs to wake up and I hope that between our tracks, we are able to grab a larger audience. Voting for this one. Thanks for another excellent entry this week!

Pepper Jane: Your recording suffers from low-fi but that is just about it. I'd love to hear you on a better microphone to capture a bit more of the frequencies your voice generates. But I can appreciate the simplicity of your entry's arrangement. Just a girl and her acoustic guitar. I think you are singing this darkly but sweetly and I think it is another great entry in what turned out to be a good fight.

Pigfarmer Jr: Ha, that's three entries this week that is all up our audiences butt about the state of things here in the 'land of the free'. I appreciate you tackling the title this way. I think your bridge is catchy, along with the chorus. I am not crazy about the overall performance and one thing I particulary didn't like is the cramming of the verse right up against the chorus. I went back and found that you submitted the lyrics and I can tell you've done this on purpose as you repeat half the line before smashing right into the chorus. I am not trying to be over critical, its just something that got lost on me and took away from my enjoyment. I still think that your efforts are not lost on this fight and I can dig it on that level. The following is not critical as I actually love the following song, but I have to say that your intro and reintro is not too far off of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI

Rio Mondo: Your band name doesn't make any sense! I can tell that you found a horn sample package and sort of threw it together various ways. I have to tell you that I found your arrangement ticklish in that the horns make me feel funny and laugh. Overall I'm not crazy about this piece but it's certainly listenable. Thus, not bad.

Overall, I loved this fight and (as I always say ...with every intention) I plan on getting back to this a lot more. You should see more from Joblito Y El Banditos throughout 2016.

Thank you, Fightmasters for your neverending work and help you give us in submissions.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

What I've learned from this fight is that I have a short little span of attention.

Blue Rock Jazz Trio - Kind of a cool laid back groove... that went on about four minutes too long for my short attention span. Couldn't really get a grip on what the lyric was as I couldn't make it out.

Bob and the Boggles - I love that vocal delivery. It almost sounds as if the singer wants to be there.... almost. Is that an ultra loose spring reverb?

Glennny - I like the progish melody and the rhythm of the vocal lines and the... well, rhythm section.. throughout.

Gregg Boethin - That intro made me want a margarita in a hammock on the beach. Yeah, with a bonfire. Reminds me, slightly, of a poor man's Doug Sahm.

Ian Martyn - Not a bad texture, but thanks for keeping it under 2:00

Ice Weasels - Your vocal and melody reminds of a local musician that is super talented so I might be a bit biased, but I liked listening.

Jerkatorium - That driving on the beat bass really keeps the energy going and is a nice counterpoint to the longer, more drawn out pace of the lyric. A nice bit of pop rock with an attitude.

Joblito Y El Banditos - Digging this one quite a bit. My only complaint is that you don't use the rhyme "running/coming" anywhere.

Johnny Cashpoint - I liked the much hyped solo. I'd listen to this again.

Jon Eric - Reminds me of something I like but i can't think of what. I'm digging this one the most so far.

Macaque Attack - I like the rhythm and the counterpoint on the left channel, the guitar solo and synth. Maybe my ears are just tired, but this drug on just a bit for me. I'll have to listen with fresh ears.

Paco del Stinko - I liked that bridge.. it's an interesting take on the sheep analogy. And the guitar solo was tasty.

Pepper Jane - Maybe grab a limiter and drop it on the master fader. Push it up till you see it starting to work and then back it down a hair. Get that volume up to where my tired (and old) ears can hear this. FINE! I'll turn up the volume *sigh* I like your voice and the melody.You pull off the arrangement pretty well and the kind of lofi sound seems to work.

Pigfarmer Jr - It's better than I feared but not as good as I hoped.

Rio Mondo - I'm torn between liking the advert at the end or being appreciative of the warning. I liked it, but it didn't have enough to keep my interest throughout.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

_igfarmer Jr: I think your bridge is catchy, along with the chorus. I am not crazy about the overall performance and one thing I particulary didn't like is the cramming of the verse right up against the chorus.
Agree with the vocal performance and don't disagree with the timing.
The following is not critical as I actually love the following song, but I have to say that your intro and reintro is not too far off of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI
Only they did it better.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
The following is not critical as I actually love the following song, but I have to say that your intro and reintro is not too far off of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI
Only they did it better.
WELL, they practiced longer on it and likely had plenty of time to not only record it, but to work every aspect of it. :)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:What I've learned from this fight is that I have a short little span of attention.

Joblito Y El Banditos - Digging this one quite a bit. My only complaint is that you don't use the rhyme "running/coming" anywhere.
Ha, funny. Thank you for the listen and the 'digging'. :)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Thanks everyone for the nice reviews so far! I'll get mine done tomorrow but I should explain about the 'much-hyped guitar' sound - basically a few minutes after sending, I decided I hated the version so much, I went back, cut 80% of the guitar, re-effected the solo, chopped 15 seconds off the beginning and re-balanced the bass and keys. Thanks to the kindness of the fightmasters they accepted my new version. This is why the ID tag is 'Change Is Coming (Alternate Mix)'. The guitar in the chorus is all that's left of the original.

In the process I accidentally deleted the guitar parts I cut out, so there is no original version for you to hear (except buried in the FM's inbox) - you should be grateful for small mercies :)

PS Hoblit - I agree about the clarity issues on the three-part harmony - if I were doing yet another mix, I'd probably drop the deepest vocal track and turn the higher one into a BV part. That's what happens when you give yourself six hours to write a song like this, I guess!

j$
GravityJohnson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Macaque Attack

Post by GravityJohnson »

Hello one and all. Some damn fine submissions this week, plenty of them too. Here are a few brief thoughts from me:

Ice Weasels - My first thought was that this could have been a song from '69 Love Songs' by Magnetic Fields, something I very much mean as a complement. The only area that I'm not hugely keen on is the sounds of some of the drums and how they interact with the guitar (34 to 42 seconds as an example). That said, overall I really like this. Good stuff.

Gregg Boethin - Kinda nice and pretty well done, but personally speaking it doesn't really grab me. All seems a little clichéd somehow. To be honest, it's probably just that this is not really a genre of music that I particularly like rather than anything else.

Macaque Attack - That'll be us. Another change of style. Variety being the spice of life, apparently.

Ian Martyn - Nice little inoffensive, experimental ditty. I think one play through was enough for me though :)

Pigfarmer Jr - The vocal sounds a little thin and distant in the verses, it could maybe do with some additional affects/processing. The drums are lacking a little impact too actually, and in fact that is the story with the overall mix and mastering of the track. The track is great, I really like it, that guitar riff is a glorious thing. With some better production this could have been glorious. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely voting for this! Awesome work.

Joblito Y El Banditos - There's some cool stuff this week, this is another. That chorus is so Clash, superb. Love that ending too, great work. This could have used another layer of guitar to thicken up the overall sound, but that's being pretty picky. Another vote here for sure!

Rio Mondo - I love the start and how this bursts to life, but from about halfway through it kind of runs out of steam a bit just as it needed to step it up again. Not bad by any means, a decent listen, but I think this could have been so much more. I'd be tempted to develop this further with additional instruments and riffs coming in from about halfway onwards, maybe building it to an almost 'big band' sound.

Johnny Cashpoint - I think a tweak or two to the vocal layers could have clarified the vocal a fair bit, but that doesn't hugely impact the song. I think the verses work superbly, the chorus good but not totally captivating. Overall, this is a really strong tune and I've listened to it half a dozen times and counting. Good stuff!

Glennny - This is pretty cool. It seems to sit halfway between a pop/rock song and a prog track. I think it could have been pushed even further into prog territory (but that's just personal taste). I really like this track, a particularly strong ending. Having that ending motif sprinkled a few times through the body of the track might have worked nicely too. All in all, very good indeed, a vote from me.

Pepper Jane - Utterly beautiful, I just love this, it really is my kind of thing. It feels to me like it has the air of 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables' from Les Misérables about it somehow. You explained your recording method in the 'Looking 4 U' thread, so I won't mention that again other than to say that it doesn't do justice to the song, the guitar, or your voice. This really is great and definitely gets a vote from me. For me it has that tired, melancholy 'end of the night in a basement bar after nearly everyone has left, one last drink, barmen turning chairs up on tables' quality to it. Best song in the fight, in my opinion.

Blue Rock Jazz Trio - I searched and searched for a hook, groove, anything, to latch on to, but failed. This really isn't my kind of thing I'm afraid, maybe others got more from it than I.

Jon Eric - Another really strong offering. Very well constructed throughout, generally nicely worded too. There are just two things about this track that I would adjust, and this is clearly just personal preference: 1) The phrase "change is coming" is repeated at the end of the chorus, I'd be tempted to replace one of these with a rhyming phrase rather than have the repetition. 2) The organ that comes in briefly at 2:30 and 2:40, I'd be tempted to change that to a different sound. What it is playing is great, just the sound seems slightly jarring at that point. Perhaps widening its stereo separation to make it feel a little more distant would be enough. Don't get me wrong, this is a great track and will definitely get a vote from me. Good work!

Paco del Stinko - Now this is fun considering the subject matter! Is there something odd going on with that bass drum though? Hitting the limiter a bit hard or something? Doesn't matter, just a bit distracting. A thoroughly enjoyable listen, and that guitar solo is as scrumptious as ever! Really enjoyed this, great stuff.

Jerkatorium - Fun, bouncy, and nicely put together without ever fully grabbing my attention. That plinky plonky synth/piano works really well too. Overall this is very well put together, good job.

Bob and the Boggles - Very Pavement sounding, which is clearly a good thing. The wording is slightly cumbersome at times, but I don't think that's a particular issue given the song style. My only nagging thought is that flute (if that's what it is) melody that opens the track sounds damn familiar, but I can't place what it reminds me of. I like the simple, lazy, melancholy feel of the track overall though. Nice one.

So, looks like several votes being spread around this week. A particularly good set of tracks this fight, I thought. Good work one and all.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

GravityJohnson wrote:
Joblito Y El Banditos - There's some cool stuff this week, this is another. That chorus is so Clash, superb. Love that ending too, great work. This could have used another layer of guitar to thicken up the overall sound, but that's being pretty picky. Another vote here for sure!

Good work one and all.
Thank you, I tried to keep the number of guitar tracks down to two. They're equally separated but not completely wide. While both are distorted, one is 'lead singer plays clangy guitar distorted' and the other is 'lead guitar drive cranked' guitar for an even blend of tough and substance. Thank you for the Clash reference, as there is a direct influence I'm wearing on my sleeve here with the gang vocal approach. Just wait until I learn a bit more Espanol!
GravityJohnson
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Macaque Attack

Post by GravityJohnson »

Hoblit wrote:...Perhaps you have some sort of effect on them that keeps them tied in, vocodor or something of that nature...
Thank you for your comments. All comments, good or bad, are always appreciated. There isn't a vocoder on the vocal, or anything that ties it to a note. It does have some processing and EQ on it though, of course. Nothing particularly out of ordinary this time though.

Hmmm vocoder, that's an idea, might have to dig out the one on my microKorg for another play sometime.... :D
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

GravityJohnson wrote:
Hoblit wrote:...Perhaps you have some sort of effect on them that keeps them tied in, vocodor or something of that nature...
Thank you for your comments. All comments, good or bad, are always appreciated. There isn't a vocoder on the vocal, or anything that ties it to a note. It does have some processing and EQ on it though, of course. Nothing particularly out of ordinary this time though.

Hmmm vocoder, that's an idea, might have to dig out the one on my microKorg for another play sometime.... :D
Hey, good job, man. My comment isn't a criticism of the vocal performance, just that they blended in so well with the music that I suspected some sort of process to give it that sound.

I try to be honest in order to help. It's always easier for a third ear to note things that ears one and two get numb to. Not that I'm 'great' or anything, but the years of criticism on my songs helped ME to at least improve :)