Gift of Music 2016-2017

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Gift of Music 2016-2017

Post by j$ »

I have about half the songs now - come on slowcoaches! Will post Thursday with what I've got.

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Still working on mine. I have had a problem with my drum plugin where the DAW doesn't recognize it any more, and I can't get to the program to vary it any more. That's frustrating, but I think I'll have to submit with only 2 drum loops. Oh well.
I am checking over the vocals to see if I want to re-record.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Hi folks - sorry, didn't get time to post the ones I have last night - will do it Saturday for sure so get those almost finished songs across to me if you can!

P
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Okay, j$, you can stop waiting for me, your email has a copy of my cover in it.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Here you are - Gom 2016/2017!

http://johnnycashpoint.com/blog/2017/01 ... -20162017/

I will add the others as and when they come in.

Happy GOM!

j$
bwell
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, piano, bass, mandolin
Submitting as: The BeWells

Post by bwell »

My cover has been sent now, sorry for the delay. Wanted to do some different things arrangement wise, but couldn't get things to fit together better than a more straightforward approach.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

The Bewells added - and very smooth it is too - http://johnnycashpoint.com/blog/2017/01 ... -20162017/

Which I believe leaves Albatross, Glennny and Paco. Gentlemen, step up for the full house for once :)

j$
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I love my gift! You guys took a bubble gummy tune and made it your own. I love the vocal interplay, the stacks of harmonies, great lead, ska tinged rhythm. Energetic and fun, it's begging to be played at a hoppin' party. Great great stuff, thank you so much, I am beyond pleased.

Small backing vocal and mix tomorrow, I'll be in. Stiffer? Never!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Potato Dentata: OMG, I love, love, love your cover. This is one of my favorite GBV songs, thanks so much for picking it, and then fucking nailing it! Great guitar sound, killer vocal harmonies, tasty solo section. Super nice. The tambourine during the last chorus is a nice touch, man those drums sound great. I must have listened to this 20 times today, made my day!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

So you thought you couldn't make a Dead Milkmen song any wackier or more delightfully insane? YOU WERE WRONG!! Well done Cash, that was fantastic.

I may have more detailed comments on all entries later, but so far I'm really liking this Jerkatorium track and those choral harmonies on the Micah Sommersmith song are pretty freaking great.

I have just finished my (crappy as usual) vocal tracks, just drums and mixdown left to go. I will be in by Tuesday at the very latest.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

KO. Mailed it in a short bit ago. Scruffy, hope it goes over well.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Paco Del Stinko in the house now. Hope the op went well, Fluffy ;)

http://johnnycashpoint.com/blog/2017/01 ... -20162017/

j$
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

it did and thank you for covering that one PdS! oh gosh I like it so much
Potato Dentata
A New Player
Submitting as: Potato Dentata

Post by Potato Dentata »

Bill (HeuristicsInc) Thank you so much for your version of Lies. It's fantastic! I never expected it to be taken the way you did and you nailed it. It's different. I like it! Thank you!

Chumpy, I'm really glad you liked your song. I had fun recording this one. I knew almost immediately I would be covering that song. I never heard of these guys before and now they have another fan. I really dig them. Good stuff.

PD
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Paco: Glad you liked our cover! We did our best to come up with a fresh take on it. Really impressed with your cover of that Katamari Damacy song, it seemed really hard to do, since a bunch of it is in Japanese, but man, you really pulled it off. I can see why Fluffy loves it, it's got a infectious upbeat melody.

Potato: Omg, that's exactly what I would hoped would happen. Part of the fun is hearing a cover of one of your favorite songs, but also it's also a great feeling to know that you turned somebody onto some music that you're passionate about.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

I'm very close. I couldn't finish tonight, should finish tomorrow.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

While I patiently wait for my gift to appear, here are some thoughts on the others. Most of these songs I was not familiar with, and it was fun listening to both the gifts and the originals to see how everyone made each song their own.

Fluffy - One of the few songs I had already heard and I like what you’ve done with it. Love the various synth sounds and your various backing vocals. My only complaint is that the clicky hi-hat throughout gets fatiguing to listen to.

Heuristics, Inc - Impressive re-imagining. In a way, your aggressive industrial sound fits the lyrics better than the original. It certainly puts a different spin on them. The original is like the drama of a teen crush, yours is bitter middle-aged infidelity. That Thing You Do vs. Gone Girl.

Johnny Cashpoint - Not my preferred style of music, but you really commit to it so you make it enjoyable. Your vocal performance is great.

Jerkatorium - Fun, high-energy romp. Well performed and produced as usual. Your playful, self-deprecating lyrics are an improvement on the rather mean-spirited original.

Potato Dentata - Excellent classic rock. Your vocals on the intro are flawless. You stayed true to the spirit of the original but even kicked it up a notch. Fun stuff!

Micah Sommersmith - I wasn’t familiar with any of j$’s choices, but this song stuck out to me for its combination of sad and funny. I was originally going to have the only instruments be layers and layers of accordions because I know how much j$ loves my accordion playing :P but it’s a good thing that idea fell through. Instead we get a choral interlude that I started doubting the instant I recorded the first track, but I went for it so here we are, and the world’s least impressive guitar solo.

The Bewells - This is fantastic. Slowing down the tempo was the right idea; it lets you bring out the very nice melody, which is not as effective in the original harder rockin’ version.

Paco del Stinko - Fluffy wished upon a star and it finally came true! Props on singing in Japanese, including preserving the Japanese accent on the English lyrics. Great production and playing as usual.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

Not 100% sold on this mixdown and I may rework it later, but it's after 2 am and I didn't want my giftee to wait another day. So I present to you:

Albatross covers Leonard Cohen's "Lover, Lover, Lover" for Micah Sommersmith

Have sent to j$ as well for him to post at his leisure. Again, I may have a better sounding version later so stay tuned. Long live GoM!
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

Albatross wrote:Not 100% sold on this mixdown and I may rework it later, but it's after 2 am and I didn't want my giftee to wait another day. So I present to you:

Albatross covers Leonard Cohen's "Lover, Lover, Lover" for Micah Sommersmith

Have sent to j$ as well for him to post at his leisure. Again, I may have a better sounding version later so stay tuned. Long live GoM!
This is great! I love your electric guitar playing that serves as the backbone of the song, I love the way the drums and bass explode on the second verse, I love the gradual build in instrumentation and intensity which is perfect for an ABABABABAB song like this one. I have already listened to it several times and am enjoying it each time! Thanks!
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Potato Dentata wrote:Bill (HeuristicsInc) Thank you so much for your version of Lies. It's fantastic! I never expected it to be taken the way you did and you nailed it. It's different. I like it! Thank you!
Thanks! I heard that one and immediately thought "I could industrial this up." It just seemed to appropriate. Also, those vocal harmonies are out of my reach :)
On another topic, if I didn't see the bandname I would have thought that original was the Beatles. So similar!
Too bad about the drums. I need to make sure I save the Guru data to a separate file in the future so I don't have this problem again. My computer is getting more flaky... beware the Windows creep.

BeWells - I really enjoy your cover. Mellower, slower, but very faithful to the sound. Love your guitar tone. Thanks a lot! On another topic, I feel like I might have met you somewhere... one of the SF Lives? Atlanta maybe? I have some image in my head of talking to two people on a sidewalk.
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Albatross is in. You can find it here (and it is fine, naturaly) -http://www.johnnycashpoint.com/blog/201 ... -20162017/

No pressure, that ggguy that has a song to get in ... ;)

j$
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

i just sent it in.
to iamniveous right?

here's the soundcloud link in case i screwed that up:
https://soundcloud.com/glenartrock/coun ... ny2bewells

Happy Ground Hog Day Be Wells!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers