Proud to be the Envy of a Glutton of reviewers. (I'm A Sinner Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Proud to be the Envy of a Glutton of reviewers. (I'm A Sinner Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Do you Lust for more reviews? Don't be a Sloth and suffer the Wrath of your fellow songfighters. I'm being Greedy and asking for more reviews.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: Proud to be the Envy of a Glutton of reviewers. (I'm A Sinner Reviews)

Post by glennny »

(With an optional flat seven)
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Vowl Sounds- Wow! That's a great song!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

glennny wrote:Vowl Sounds- Wow! That's a great song!
Thanks!

Reviews:

Berkeley Social Scene - I really like the light-but-crunchy guitar sound and chord sequence, and the guitar solo / group vocals at the end are excellent touches. The song itself feels like it’s missing something to make it really memorable though, the lyric and melody just don’t quite stick in my head.

Commissar Goos - this is weird and kinda cool, I think the backing track could use a little more variation (the bits where the rhythm breaks down dramatically later on are done well) but the lyric is unusual and intriguing and I like the vocal delivery.

Edge Street Boyz - “deep note” sound at the start got my attention, and I enjoyed hearing your accent (Australian?) clearly in the vocal. Some witty lyrics (although they’re sometimes a little hard to make out), entertaining robo-chorus, generally a good time.

Lookout(s) - I like the rattly drums and slidey lead guitar. The mix is pretty messy but mostly in quite a charming way, the lyrics are a mix of clever lines and stuff that feels a bit too on-the-nose, maybe. But I tend to have that problem with topical lyrics, either way this was still probably my favourite from this fight so it’s a minor thing.

Older Brothers - socks with sandals / bike without handles - ha! Some fun lyrics in here and excellent guitar work too. The layered vocals / lead guitar on the chorus seem a bit messy, maybe, but still enjoyed this.

WreckdoM - the repeat / repent vocal style here is quite fun, it kinda feels more like a skit than a song, but it’s a very entertaining one.

Vowl Sounds - this is us, both trying to keep up our creative energies post-FAWM. I’m pleased with the music I came up with and (as usual) it came back from Owl elevated hugely by her lyrics and vocals! I think I’m doing something mixolydian for the bonus challenge with that mini-solo after the first chorus, too? That was the intention, anyway!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

LookoutJoe: I like the guitar tone and playing well enough. The drums, okay the cymbals, are mixed too up front for me. The vocals are mixed too low in half the song and I wasn't a fan of the effect. But I dig the vibe.

WreckdoM: I love the response vocal in your call and response. The call bit is a bit too unaffected for my taste. I really wanted a guitar solo or some dirty swamp blues harp or something in there somewhere. No idea why. Just wanted it.

E Street Ba..oys: This is cool. If it were any longer I might have tired of it, but I enjoyed listening.

Commissar Goos: I liked the music... until it went on for three minutes. The vocals worked for me, but again, I need some dynamic changes at some point, although I liked that little bit of grit that starts just after 1:45. This really comes as an open mic performance, granted a really, really good one.

Vowl Sounds: Ooooh... aaaaaah... (see what I did there?) Dang, Owl sounds awesome right from the start. This is good. I like those guitars and the instrumental arrangement is good. I was surprised to see this at 4:00 as it worked very well for me and didn't seem like a "long" song at all. I like this.

BSS: That guitar heavy right side was just slightly distracting for me. I like the music. The melody works well enough, especially on the chorus. Not a huge fan of the mix.. it seems just a bit off. Not bad, mind you. But not clear... or... Maybe slightly unbalanced. I found myself straining throughout.

Older Brothers: I'm a sucker for good guitars and that rhythm guitar really hits in a sweet spot. The vocals were hard to hear in a spot or two even with the doubling.. or maybe because of the doubling? This sounds like a fun song to play. Maybe more fun to play than to listen to.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

WreckdoM: I loved the "response" voice in your call-and-response, really hilarious and well done--this was really entertaining, kind of reminded me of Negativland, although I do kind of agree with the comment about it feeling more like a skit than a song.

EDGE STREET BOYZ: I couldn't make out all your lyrics but I really liked the ones I could hear. Nice beat, nice flow, this was really well executed. The THX sound was a nice touch too. Try not to get sued by George Lucas!

BSS: I loved the chorus melody, super catchy! I liked the lines "I'm a fish that's drowning/Can't breathe when you're around me" a lot, but the chorus lyrics felt kind of disappointingly thin/predictable. The group vocals at the end were a nice touch.

The Older Brothers: Nice guitaring! Some great lyrics--tags off pillowcases, socks and sandals/bike without handles, breaking the fourth wall. I wish there wasn't quite so much guitar action at the same time as the vocals, it was a bit distracting--I felt like there was a lot of fun stuff but never a single good catchy hook to grab onto, so after I stopped listening I felt like it just kind of vanished out of my head. But it's a nice full production and I liked the sudden ending.

Commissar Goos: I like the spoooooky production, those creepy synths are really nice, although it would have been nice to have some breaks or change-ups in the music. The vocal delivery felt a little bit too exaggerated to me, I really wasn't a fan... too much vocal fry, too much Bond movie villain, it kind of took me out of it because it called too much attention to itself, I would have liked it toned down a bit. Good storytelling and nice evocative lyrics.

lookoutJoe!: I liked this song musically, it was a fun bouncy listen, but I couldn't get into the lyrics--they felt sort of forced, maybe because I could never imagine Trump actually admitting to doing anything wrong, maybe because I just often have a hard time with heavily political songs no matter how much I agree with the content.

Vowl Sounds: this is us! I was in the midst of a month-long cold with associated cough, sore throat, and stuffiness when I recorded vocals, and it gave me some trouble with recording it, but I did my best... it's definitely not my favorite vocal take ever, but it worked out OK in the end. I think my favorite part of this is the bit with the cool guitar line overlapping/coming out of the "all our fantasies" line at the end of the first chorus.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats to Vowl Sounds!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Woo! Cheers!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Yay! Awesome!