Nur Ein XIII Round Five "Hazardous Waste"

Post by Niveous »

Welcome to Round Five of Nur Ein XIII

Title: Hazardous Waste
Challenge: Beatbox

Songs are Due on: Sunday, June 10th @ 11:59 PM Eastern
Send your MP3 to nurein.sidefight@gmail.com

NUR EIN!!!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Nur Ein XIII Round Five "Hazardous Waste"

Post by Caravan Ray »

There is no definition of “hazardous waste” under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 or the Environmental Protection Regulation 2008. Can we change the title to “Regulated Waste”?

Thanks.
Mysteria
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Danni Rose

Post by Mysteria »

Caravan Ray wrote:There is no definition of “hazardous waste” under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 or the Environmental Protection Regulation 2008. Can we change the title to “Regulated Waste”?

Thanks.
The EPA has defined 'hazardous waste" under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (known as "RCRA", pronounced "rick-rah") regulations which can be found in title 40 of the CFR under parts 239-282.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Mysteria wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:There is no definition of “hazardous waste” under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 or the Environmental Protection Regulation 2008. Can we change the title to “Regulated Waste”?

Thanks.
The EPA has defined 'hazardous waste" under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (known as "RCRA", pronounced "rick-rah") regulations which can be found in title 40 of the CFR under parts 239-282.
So it does. And in a delightfully verbose way. Have to say - after having already done one waste management song (we should) and dealing with waste management daily in my day job - this title is not exciting me. Yet.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Listening Party link! Monday at 9pm EST

vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

Submitting shortly. No idea what this thing is that I'm sending in, but I'm very much looking forward to hearing what everyone else came up with.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

vowlvom wrote:I'm very much looking forward to hearing what everyone else came up with.
I sincerely hope we all had the same idea.

I've got 8 hours to replace my scratch vocals!
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Rooting for all of you to have great songs! Happy spitting!
facebook.com/ivegband
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

iVeg wrote:Rooting for all of you to have great songs! Happy spitting!
Lol! “Rooting”. That always cracks me up.
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

grumpymike wrote:I sincerely hope we all had the same idea.
why on earth would you hope for that??! I hope everyone all had different ideas, it's much more interesting to listen to!
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

iVeg wrote:Rooting for all of you to have great songs! Happy spitting!
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove

Post by grumpymike »

arby wrote:why on earth would you hope for that??!
I want to see the world burn.
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power
Pronouns: she/her

Post by arby »

grumpymike wrote:
arby wrote:why on earth would you hope for that??!
I want to see the world burn.
ok fine, I laughed at that
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
carlo bruno jr
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bass, guitar, drums, keyb., programming
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Apple computer
Submitting as: carlo bruno jr, ray negro

Post by carlo bruno jr »

Sent!!

Beatboxing ....XDDD..... one thing led to the other and ...
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

BYD, Ben & Mike: shadow entry posted. The file WAS attached :)
facebook.com/ivegband
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove

Post by grumpymike »

I know the judges don't technically care, but I wanted to share how I routed my beatboxing to sound like there are multiple tracks when there's really only one. It was kind of a cool new thing I was experimenting with. I sent the vocal track to Kick/Mid/High, added EQ, gate, and some other stuff, and panned them.
round5drums.png
round5drums.png (191.86 KiB) Viewed 7544 times
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Finished up the Cavedwellers song:
https://soundcloud.com/glenartrock/cave ... dous-waste

shadow entry

also sent the mp3 to Nur Ein Sidefight.

not sure how Tom and Mike get their shadows.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
truth
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Cavedwellers, Yardley Social Scene, Katy & the Dwellers, Tindersoot, Mandibles

Post by truth »

Mandibles in with notes from the opiate crisis. Halftime beatboxing courtesy of Zidong and Cybronica, and some pitch shifting and delay.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Carlo Bruno Jr. - this is wonderfully atmospheric and I love the glitchy editing (which ties in perfectly to the beatbox elements). Really well produced, interesting lyric. Nothing really to criticise.

Grumpy Mike - extremely bassy mix, the little bluetooth speaker I used for my first listen couldn’t cope with it at all and I was all like “oh no, Grumpy Mike, what have you done?” but revisiting it on headphones and then decent speakers, it sounds really good. I think this is probably the track that has most enthusiastically embraced the beatbox challenge and the lyrics are cleverly written too.

Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost - enjoying this one a lot better on proper speakers too, although I can’t hear too much beatboxy stuff in there. I guess the hihatty sounds are done vocally? Some good melodies in here as usual but when it changes up after the second chorus (I think) it seems to lose its way for a while. Comes back strong, though.

Mandibles - the guitar riff at the start reminds me of Sweet Dreams Are Made of This. Mix sounds really good and the beatboxing is well used. This is a little dramatic for my tastes at times and I think there’s an autotune-style effect on the vocal a few times that I suspect isn’t really necessary (because your singer is astonishingly good) but I can’t deny the power and catchiness of that chorus, and the surfy guitar twangs towards the end are great.

Merisan - this sounds gorgeous as usual but the chorus doesn’t quite feel up to the usual Merisan standard to me. The verse harmonies and lyrics flow a lot better to me and there’s always a slightly odd feeling to songs where I like the verse so much more than the chorus. Nitpicking though as this is still pretty great.

Owl Chemist - I was hoping this week’s challenge would result in some Really Strange submissions, thank you Owl Chemist for not letting me down! This is nuts, and possibly my favourite from this round?

Rob from Amersfoort - I’m impressed by the way beatboxing fits so naturally into your sound, and the increased intensity at the end works really well. Hard to say as you’re so consistent in sound and quality but I think this one might be my favourite from your Nur Ein entries.

Vom Vorton (me) - I found this challenge and title to be extremely hard work, but I think I’ve ended up with something fairly interesting. For the record, all the drum / percussion sounds are beatbox originated, although I had to do a LOT of editing to cover up for my frankly dismal skills. I’ve had the phrase “turns out it was man” stuck in my head ever since this Futurama joke so I’m delighted to finally have crammed it into a song.

Cavedwellers (shadow) - love the mix of acoustic guitar and synthy stuff here (one of my favourite combos!) and the beatboxing is well done! Not 100% convinced by the vocal melody on a first listen but it sounds like it could be a grower.

Inflatable Vegetables (shadow) - nice punchy bassline. The verse vocal sounds a bit odd in places, very FX-heavy which I can’t always get on with, but I really like the chorus and the return of the beatbox for the middle-8.

Ridiculously hard to call this week, I’m glad I’m not a judge. Owl Chemist and Carlo probably my favourites but it’s close enough that I could change my mind on every listen.

No Round Six title announcement yet?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Owl Chemist This a splendid mess. Shame you couldn’t fine any good words in the bible this time.
Rob From Amersfoot There’s so much I like about this – once again, chorus is weakest part, and that’s not so bad, just underdeveloped. It feels a little rushed but holds together very nicely.
Vom Vorton I like it. It’s bright and breezy and punky pop. Vocal is a bit strained at times.
Merisan Very nice, just not a fan of the slower bpm. You’re better with a bit of grind behind you, IMO. You’re not giving me the feelz.
Mandibles While this structurally nothing new at all, it’s all done very well . Though lots of sound and fury not really achieving anything.
Carlo Bruno Jr. Not a fan of the voice on this track. Sorry. “*mumble mumble mumble* disco!” Otherwise it’s a fine “will this do”? jam, I suppose. A tad indulgent.
Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost For some reason I found this really difficult to listen to. Maybe I’ve just reached break point on the limited recording technique. I prefer to imagine it’s the lack of variety in your arrangements. One of those two things.
Grumpy Mike Nice piano / intro. Oh, you’re going to rap aren’t you? Don’t stress the clumsy rhymes, “Scientist/hypothesis” for instance. At least there’s no guitar solo this time round.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

j$ wrote:Vom Vorton Vocal is a bit strained at times.
This is true. I was originally singing the verses an octave lower, then I realised it made the song sound really boring so I moved up. Think I just about got away with it, but one of these days I should really learn how to write songs in the right key for me to sing them.