Well actually, that's violet (Indigo Wave reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Well actually, that's violet (Indigo Wave reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

The songs will be going up shortly.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Well actually, that's violet (Indigo Wave reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted, along with some Halloween surprises. Hope you like the home page makeover.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

The page makeover is awesome! Great work.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Not seeing my entry: Pigfarmer Jr
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Your email never showed up. Please resend. (I see now you posted in the prefight thread on the 22nd that you sent it. I unfortunately don't really have the time to closely monitor the prefight thread and the inbox and try to continuously cross reference them. Sorry!)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I am trying to monitor the inbox and manually fire off a quick "Got it!" reply, so, if you don't a reply like that in a day or two you may want to check in again, for future reference.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Homepage makeover is great!

Will do some full reviews in the week but this is an engagingly weird set of songs! Really happy to be among them after a bit of an unproductive streak (the reasons for which may have snuck into my lyrics a bit).
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Second email sent. (See note attached.) Thanks for checking.

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Berkeley Social Scene- Cool guitars, cool mix. Vocal decent but could be tighter in a spot or two. I like the sound and the song. Slide solo is cool but maybe just a hair too loud for the rest of the mix. Synth "solo" near the end is a nice touch. Listening again the intro reminds me of an Aerosmith song. (No More, No More at the beginning when the bass comes in, although it's a bit different.) But it goes in a different a direction. I'd say I really like the music but the vocal (though it's not bad) keeps it from being awesome and keeps it firmly in a pretty good category for me.

Berkeley Surf Sounds- Cool throwback sound in the guitars and organ. Strong vocal, but doesn't quite hit what I would expect on a surf song for some reason. Maybe it's missing the harmonies? *shrug* I like the song, but I'm not sure it's one I would want to listen to quite a bit. I definitely like the guitars. Did I say that, yet?

Fauxthoreau-Digging the chip tune feel. I've been playing with that style a bit this summer. Cool effect on the vocal that fits right in. The "waves" effect.. erm effectively masks a bit of the mix, but I like the song quite a bit. I like the chorus melody and the lyric, while repeating, is a good take on the prompt/title. Yeah, on repeated listens I'm still digging it.

Moon Man- I had an android that wanted to be a MC Rap Master... I disabled his voxbox before I would suffer through a rendition, but this is what I imagined it would sound like. Sorry, that was completely unfair. This is creative and I appreciate it from a technical aspect, but it didn't do a lot for me. Okay, on repeated listens it's growing on me. I apologize for the dig at the beginning. All right, now it's tiring again. I just don't know if I like it or not at this point, but I'm glad you've entered it.

Paco del Stinko- Cool GnG sound that's filled out nicely by the bass drums and...pad? The melody is almost sea song shanty-ish catchy but the vocal delivery pulls it off nicely. A solid entry with a slightly off drum beat in like two places that I can't let go for some reason.

Pigfarmer Jr- Me - Started as a quick full band recording just to keep someone from telling me that the sparse arrangement is getting old but I ended up spending more time on it than I intended as it grew on me. I actually like this a bit even though the lyric is not very creative and the "solo" bits were intended to be an inside joke.

shrts- I like the guitars and the rock and the backing vox. Cool song length, but I think another section would really flesh this out... I think it needs it for contrast/dynamics to really be all it wants to be. Yeah, I like the rock.

Tandem Bandit- I like the atmosphere that you've created. The narrow melody range works very well with the active synth and the guitar pad. I especially like the chorus. I think this could use a bit of a change up of some sort somewhere. Just some sort of dynamic change, but it stands up well on a repeated listen.

Third Cat- The indie folk rock intro had me worried (not that it was bad, but I have a limit...) but it works rather nicely. I'm really digging the bit before the solo. I like the solo, too. A little sloppy sounding but fits nicely if a bit loud in the mix. Listening again, it's pretty solid.

Vom Vorton- This has a bit of a flippant tone in the music/vox that is just a tad at odds with the lyric (especially at the beginning) but once it hits I like it a lot. Is that how you pronounce Indigo: In DEE go? Ah, it wasn't as *cough* pronounced on the second time through. By the end I was digging the catchy melody on the chorus and the arrangement/mix. Yeah, on second (and third) listens I'm really digging this one. It's growing on me more each time through.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just added Pigfarmer Jr's song.
thirdcat
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, keys, drums, programming
Submitting as: Third Cat

Post by thirdcat »

I've listened to all of the tracks at least a couple of times each. Not deciding on votes until I come back for an extra listen or two later on.

Pigfarmer Jr: Cool to hear something more fully produced from you, sounds pretty cool and quite a bit different from what I would have expected from the rest of your stuff I've heard. Guitars all up in here. Some nice touches in the bass (I like the bits right before section changes, nice.) Overall I think I like the verse more than the chorus although the riffage on the chorus is pretty cool. Some cool guitar leads for sure.

Paco: This seems quite a bit different from the other Paco del Stinko songs I've heard, nice to hear a different style. That said I have to admit I'm not loving this one as much as I usually like your stuff but there are some cool parts. And it does seem to have grown on me with a 2nd listen. I don't love the acoustic tone at the beginning and there's a bit of sloppiness in the drums it seems - some of which is probably fine for this style but... kinda takes me out of the groove. My favorite bits in this song are all of the background instrumentation that comes in. Lots of cool stuff there.

Fauxthoreau: Love the band name. Such an interesting sounding track. The extreme lofi sounds are a great contrast with the pretty poppy and quite pleasant vocals which I think really shine through and lift this song to probably be my favorite of this fight. The main synth line and bass synth sound great too. Just really tasty stuff. I appreciate how you didn't play it safe. That said; I think I might like this a bit more with some of the more digital sounding distortion warmed/softened up. I actually have already listened to this one a couple of extra times as I just wanted to hear it again. (I did get a little impatient with the long intro.. but I can see why you did it the way you did.)

Tandem Bandit: The chorus on this one is pretty killer, love the spaciness there, synths layers sound quite nice there. Vocals work too. Nice analogue sounding stuff (curious what you used for your synth sounds?) But I don't love the drum sounds and general stiffness of the rhythm and the sing-songy melody on the verse is ... not as good. I liked the chorus enough I might end up voting for this, but it'd be entirely for that section really.

Moon Man: Some pretty weird songs in this fight (which is cool to me) but this one takes the cake. WTF is happening here? I found the lyrics and general concept pretty amusing and you did a pretty good job of making these robot vocals flow (considering the substantial limitations there) but... uh. Moon Man,,, Y u do dis?

shrts: This sounds great and the vocals on the "indigo wave" line sound fantastic. Love the reverb. Still I feel like I'm just getting into it when it's over. I can dig short songs, I usually try to keep mine pretty short - but I think this would be much more satisfying at say 90 seconds to 2 minutes - maybe a short guitar solo and a few more repetitions of the title line. Still for a 40 second song this is pretty killer.

Berkeley Surf Sounds: I was going to try to do a surf style song when I saw this title; actually abandoned an attempt. Glad I did because it wouldn't have been as good as this. Great job on capturing the vibe on the guitars and I like the keys a lot too. Compared to the instrumental I am finding the vocal part a bit less engaging but I do like the backing vocals doing the title line. This is a likely vote for me. Great guitars & keys.

Berkeley Social Scene: Some nice guitar riffs/leads. "You know you shouldn't but ..." is my favorite part vocally. Synth coming in towards the end is pretty great. Overall though this is my 2nd favorite BSS song of the fight.

Vom Vorton: Some really interesting stuff going on here instrumentally. Nice mix/production. Your lyrics also draw me in with this one and that's very unusual for me I'm often the type of music listener who mostly ignores lyrics. A close call with Fauxthoreau for my favorite of the fight. Will be a definite vote. My least favorite part is the bridge with the effected vocal, for some reason that felt a bit too silly for me. Although I do kind of like how it comes back in with the main vocal the last time through.

Third Cat: Some stuff I'd like to change/add. But I think I'm onto something overall.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Berkeley Social Scene - solid middle-ground BSS for me, an enjoyable listen but it doesn't quite take off like your best stuff. Vocal is really good in places, feels like it doesn't quite hit the mark in others. Synth at the end is my favourite bit I think, plus the shouted "so good!" backing vocal.

Berkeley Surf Sounds - surfy guitar work on this one is excellent, strong vocal, some good hooks. I feel like the guitar solo slightly kills the momentum of the song, somehow. But this is very good.

Fauxthoreau - chiptuney arrangement is very appealing, the white-noise crashing wave sound is lovely and reminds me of the beach scenes in Link's Awakening which is one of my favourite games ever. I think the reverb makes the mix a little muddy in places, I wish the chorus kinda popped out a little more. I really like this though, there's an extremely appealing melancholy to it and I like the glitchy drum programming and distortion a lot.

Moon Man - this is ridiculous, hilarious and I love it. You've done a great job of making the synthesized vocals hit the rhythm. The whole thing just puts a massive smile on my face. I guess maybe points deducted for using a pre-existing music track but since you own up to it immediately in the lyrics I'm inclined to turn a blind eye.

Paco del Stinko - I wasn't crazy about this on first listen but it grew on me a lot second time through. Good storytelling, I like the dramatic vocal (although it's hard to decipher without the lyrics in front of me in a few places). Sounds like you're channeling Tim Hinkle at times!

Pigfarmer Jr - killer rock guitar tone, I like the distorted vocals a lot and the lead guitar is unusual and feels thematically appropriate (in that it "sounds like a wave", I don't know what I'm talking about but it makes sense in my head). Lyrics have a bit of an "I have consulted Wikipedia" vibe to them but they sound good in context.

shrts - I continue to admire your commitment to brevity. Good mix, well performed. Lyrics feel a bit thrown together but I do like the idea.

Tandem Bandit - lovely synth sounds, those filter-sweepy bass / pad / lead sounds are gorgeous. The mix of electronics and far-away fuzz guitar works well, and I like the scatterings of clean lead guitar too. Chorus is really effective. Up there with Moon Man and Fauxthoreau as my favourites from this batch of songs.

Third Cat - another one that I wasn't crazy about on first listen but is really growing on me. Excellent dynamics (I love that moment where the drums and bass kick in with the vocal echoes) and a deceptively complex mix. The guitar solo is the only bit I'm not crazy about, it feels a little messy and dominates the mix a little too much IMO, although perhaps that's intentional.

Vom Vorton - really pleased to be back in the fight! A few slightly rushed decisions here as time was restricted by a Spanish Wedding but I'm pretty happy with the end result.
thirdcat wrote:My least favorite part is the bridge with the effected vocal, for some reason that felt a bit too silly for me
I kinda trapped myself there, I found that section wasn't really working after I'd already committed to it and busted out my "vintage scientist voice" for reasons unknown. It definitely sounds better like that than it did singing it normally (for some reason) but yeah, I think that section needs a rewrite really.
Pigfarmer Jr wrote:This has a bit of a flippant tone in the music/vox that is just a tad at odds with the lyric
The lyric is a weird mix of real-life frustrations and total fictions and I kinda tried to make that the message of the song but yeah, some revision required I think if I ever want to use this for anything else.

Thanks for the kind words in reviews so far! Another really strong fight, interestingly my three favourites this week were all from people submitting their first entries. Pretty cool.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

The Jerks are back with another podcast for the Indigo Wave fight! No guests this time sadly.

There are a few ways you can listen to it:
Also, if you'd like to give us an earful of what you liked, or didn't like about this podcast, you can email us at: feedback@twojerksonevote.com.

We won't blame you if you don't want to hear us yammer on about every song. Use the timings below to jump right to the song(s) you're interested in.
  • 00:00 - Intro song
  • 01:07 - Beginning-of-podcast yammering
  • 09:57 - Berkeley Social Scene
  • 14:10 - Berkeley Surf Sounds
  • 16:54 - Fauxthoreau
  • 20:14 - Moon Man
  • 23:26 - Paco del Stinko
  • 26:24 - Pigfarmer Jr
  • 29:17 - Tandem Bandit
  • 31:22 - shrts
  • 32:43 - Third Cat
  • 36:02 - Vom Vorton
  • 38:32 - End-of-podcast yammering
Hope ya enjoy it!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Chumpy wrote:The Jerks are back with another podcast for the Indigo Wave fight! No guests this time sadly.
Enjoyed the podcast again! Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that "ready with a note..." section got picked out as that's my favourite part of the song by far.

Re: The drums on my song - good spot, I used some drums I sampled myself back during FAWM - I have kind of half a drum kit (snare, ride, terrible hihat from a child's kit) in a cupboard but no space to leave it set up (and also no ability to play it in time) so I recorded myself hitting things and made up a sample set that I quite like the sound of. That "kit" is the main beat, then I dropped in some EZDrummer stuff elsewhere to spice it up a bit.
thirdcat
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, keys, drums, programming
Submitting as: Third Cat

Post by thirdcat »

Chumpy wrote:
Hope ya enjoy it!
Thanks for the kind words on my stuff. Great podcast (even without the great parody songs). I quite enjoy listening to your comments on everyone else's songs too and I found your discussion on harmony vocals (re: Glenn Case) interesting. I am trying to add harmony vocals more and more often because they're something I really like but they don't come naturally to me. I have to work them out which is usually pretty time consuming. Definitely a goal of mine to get more (& better) harmony vocals on my song in the future.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I just listened through the podcast and enjoyed it. Thanks for doing it. We'd love a Burnt podcast, too, but based on the number of entries in Spintunes in the past, I'm guessing time factors may prevent it from being doable.

vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

I seem to have woken up with the podcast theme tune stuck in my head this morning, so consider that another vote for "I'd love a Burnt Orange podcast if you can fit one in".
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, really good crop of songs this fight (again!). I particularly enjoyed the newcomers Fauxthoreau and Tandem Bandit, and the latest Third Cat and Vom Vorton entries, but I enjoyed all the songs. And another fun podcast episode, too.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Nice cover art, glenny! Dig it.

/returns to non-productive lurking
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Hi there. I have been very busy, but finally have the upcoming weekend off. Gotta start and finish my next song by 1PM EST. Anyway, thanks for the comments peoples, I'll get my own remarks and reactions in tomorrow afternoon. Cheers!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats Third Cat! Close finish, nice work runner-up Vom Vorton, and everybody else.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Congratulations Third Cat! Well deserved after a strong run of submissions recently!