Give me a hand with these (Walk Steady Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Give me a hand with these (Walk Steady Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

as I'm just a bit unsteady.
Don't tell me that it's all bad news
Cuz I don't think I'm ready.
Give me a hand with these Walk Steady reviews.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Give me a hand with these (Walk Steady Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Lyric thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11396

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Thanks again for making the review thread!

Songs posted.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Lunkhead wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:40 pm
Thanks again for making the review thread!

Songs posted.
I submitted a song but don't see it!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Fixed. And I did the step I forgot of clearing out the last fight's votes so voting should work now.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

I see it now, thanks!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Berkeley Social Scene - this is my favourite BSS song for quite a while. Vocals sound great, melody is catchy, lead guitar is used really well (I love that ray-gun effect later on). No idea what the lyrics are about, but they sound cool! Vote.

glennny - this has a lot of the same strengths as your previous song, but doesn't work for me quite as well. Not sure if that's because Oscar the Grouch is way more interesting than The Incredible Hulk, or if it's due to the fact that the music and vocals here don't really feel like they have much interaction, in a weird way. I like them both independently but I feel like there are places (especially in the chorus with the different vocal styles) where some rhythmic / dynamic changes to reflect the struggle to "walk steady" would really help. But I might be overthinking it.

heine - there are some parts of this I really like, most notably the way the chorus drops down to acoustic and voice which works really well (and the chorus is catchy, too). The lyrics are sweet but there are some pretty tired bad / sad / high / cry rhymes in there, it feels like you could've been a little more creative. Like glennny this one falls in my "not quite a vote" category I think.

Lichen Throat - aww, I loved last fight's song from you but this feels like a huge step backwards! The vocal melody is really messy and the instrumentation is somehow repetitive and rhythmically confusing at the same time. Does your compositional process allow you set the velocity levels for instruments? Because I feel like this would be a much easier listen if every guitar note wasn't at Maximum Volume. Lyrics are solid as usual, but otherwise this is nowhere near your best work for me.

miscellaneous owl - this is wonderful, easily the song of the fight for me. If I stretch for a criticism it'd be that occasionally the doubled vocals don't quite match up so you get that odd percussive thing where words start or end at different times but to be honest it doesn't detract from my enjoyment, this is great. Vote, obvz.

OG Lawn Darts - well performed, but I have major genre bias here and it makes this song feel about ten minutes long for me. I do like the shuffly drums and some of the dubby echo stuff later on, and I definitely preferred this to your previous entry, but... just not my thing at all, sorry.

Paco del Stinko - ha! Is this a response to the Jerkatorium podcast saying that they'd love to hear something completely different from you? Either way it's a total curveball. As ever there's some really great stuff in here, I love that massive filtery synth bass and the flute / organ descending melody under the middle 8 is really cool. The tremolo vocal FX in that section are a bit excessive though, and on the whole I don't really love this, but it's a really interesting experiment.

Pigfarmer Jr - I think this is one of your best songs, the melody and lyrics are really compelling and the chorus sticks in my head. It feels like its a few steps back from the excellent performance level you've been hitting lately though, I'm not sure if it's just because you're singing in a slightly lower register (I think?) but it doesn't quite hit home for me. Still a vote though, because I really like the song.

Third Cat - waltz-time high-five! Or is this 6/8? I can never really tell. This is really enjoyable and sounds great, especially the echoey lead guitar work. It doesn't really stick with me though, it falls into that solid / not your best category I think, I liked it but didn't love it.

Vom Vorton - I'd probably put this in the "not my best" category also, although I had fun with it. I struggled with the lyrics, the apocalypse theme is something I tend to fall back on when I have nothing else to say (for some reason) but I think the music is quite interesting and the omnichord / casio PT-30 / iPad brass cacophony at the end was fun to do. Could maybe use another section but I decided to go with short and (hopefully) sweet.

wub feat tomdg - hey, I'm not alphabetically last for once! This is kinda cool but too repetitive for my liking, it's basically the same synth loop for 90 seconds and could really use some variation. The heavily effected vocals are interesting but a bit TOO buried IMO.
thirdcat
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, keys, drums, programming
Submitting as: Third Cat

Post by thirdcat »

first listen responses (I'm gonna be outta town soon so gotta leave some early/quick reviews this time around.)

VOM VORTON: I dig the waltz vibe (as you noticed I was thinking similarly this time around), I like this one quite a lot on first listen and I think it'll very likely get a vote from me. I particularly like how the vocals come in on "walk steady." I like the sort of lo-fi drums and how it all sounds together. Just a really interesting soundworld you created on this one. Yeah, very good first listen vibes, and almost certainly a vote from me.

MISC OWL: pretty lofi-ish guitar, I like the vibe. nice and warm. there's some glitches/clicks in the recording but doesn't take me out of the song too much. this is very pleasantly warm. I'll keep using that word: warm. this song just feels like something you can fall into. your vocals are quite lovely. I will be voting for this one.

LICHEN THROAT: sounds like you're trying to add some more fx to your instrumental which is a good idea but the reverb is a bit harsh. your instrumentals are getting a bit more interesting and cohesive but I'm not sure about the vocal approach on this one.

OG LAWN DARTS: Pretty nice rubbery bass. The instrumental is pretty damn well done and the mix is good. I like the organ. I love that you went into this dubby spaced out section. I'm a Lee Perry fan. This is cool. I like it. The vocals worked well. Vote.

PIGFARMER JR: This is good but the vocals seem a bit off at points and that kinda takes me out of it. Still I really like that you've got this full acoustic rock thing going on and the lead guitar break is sweet. This song has a real classic sound to it though, the melody is nice. Possible vote.

GLENNNY: Pretty cool instrumental. Overall this one may be a bit too busy for my taste, or at least as something to take in on first listen. This may be a song that suffers from this kind of quick review thing. Might be a grower. Lots of cool sounds here, but it is a lot to take in.

PACO DEL STINKO: You're creating some interesting tension here; partly created by my expectations of a PDS song. This is definitely not what I expect from you. I love that synth bass that comes in. Nice face melting tone. I'm not sure how much I would want to listen to this song multiple times, but as a trip this first time through I'm finding it quite interesting with lots of surprising cool left turns. Vote for taking me a trip!

WUB FT TOMDG: I really dig the synths and it's a cool groove. But I don't find the vocals too effective. And it does get a bit repetitive in a way that I don't think quite works. Still this is cool. Those synths sound really good.

HEINE: I like this but the timing seems a bit sloppy in places. I do really like your chorus. That bit is really quite nice. I kinda feel like the rest of the song is holding back the chorus a bit? although the solo is nice too. Mostly I think that I like your chorus a lot more than your verse on this one. Might be one that grows on me.

BSS: Really dig the warm analogy synth bass thing. Great vocals that fit this style very well. This is really good. Possibly my favorite BSS song to date and a definite vote. Some really cool drum bits. Yeah. I love that lead guitar too. I can't really think of any real constructive criticism here, this seems like you really nailed what you were going for.

THIRD CAT: yes VV; 6/8!
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Berkeley Social Scene—The chorus is sweet. I feel kind of like the rest of the song is just a vehicle for presenting the chorus, but I’m not troubled by that, since the chorus is so good. The long guitar notes on the left side are a nice touch.

Glennny—There’s almost too much going on to process all at once. Maybe that’s the point, but I feel like I’d have to listen 20 times before I could begin to appreciate it. I think maybe it’s good, though, even without 20 listens.

heine—I really like the guitar, both playing and the chord choices. I think I might have a general liking for English-language vocals with a slight German accent; your voice works well in the song.

Lichen Throat (me)—This is not a good song. I like a few of the individual components, but it just doesn’t come together. I think 5/4 might be my enemy. I had a really hard time finding a good vocal melody, and as you can hear, I never did find one. And as Vom noted, I somehow managed to record a song that’s both non-rhythmic and excessively repetitive. (To Vom: yes, I can adjust the velocity, but it’s laborious. This is a time when perhaps I should have expended the effort. Maybe I should have tried to play it on a real guitar, too, even though it’s beyond my skill level.) After a bad outing like this, there’s nothing to do but try again next week.

miscellaneous owl—This is wonderful, right up there with last week’s masterpiece. The way the vocal and instrumental notes all come together when you sing “track” (in “train along the track”) just melts me. The song is heartbreaking, which is great aesthetically, but I’m also disturbed about the extent to which this may represent your actual experiences. The song advocates strongly and effectively against such inappropriate conduct, without any compromise of aesthetics. There’s obviously a very 60s folk feel here; did you set the lyrics in San Francisco to reinforce the connection to that sound and era?

OG Lawn Darts—I like your singing style on this song. “So I don’t think about it” is a great line. I tend to dislike songs with this kind of laid-back atmosphere, but I enjoyed this.

Paco del Stinko—I appreciate the deviation from your usual style. This genre is hard for me to like, unfortunately. I think all the performances are good, though. And I like the strobed vocal.

Pigfarmer Jr—Nice guitar playing. This is one of your better written songs, too. Very solid.

Third Cat—The vocal is excellent. The instrument separation in the mix is very good, too. I’m having a little trouble getting into the song, though; I think I’d like it to be either a little more energetic or more melancholy.

Vom Vorton—I think I might have a bias against 3/4 waltzy songs. Sorry. The lyrics and production are good, however.

wub feat tomdg—I rarely listen to music like this, so I’m not sure whether I can evaluate it on any kind of legitimate basis.
Heine
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Presonus FP10, Cubase
Submitting as: SoFa Productions Inc., Double Me Double U, heine

Post by Heine »

Some really nice tracks in here! - My reviews:

Berkeley Social Scene - The vocals are much stronger than usual. A very catchy chorus (that's coming quite unexpected), a charming bridge. And: it's the very first Songfight song I had to listen to twice after another. – Vote!

glennny – This one leaves me a bit clueless. There's a lot happening but I just couldn't get into it. Didn't really find out where the chorus starts. The verse vocal remind me of Bruce singing "I get up in the evening…" - BTW: this time I read it for the first time: there a three "n" in glennny!!! I never saw this before. Sorry! "Everything passes when you need glasses." M.L. Gore

Lichen Throat – Is it 5/4? I did not count with it so I supposed it should be a fine 6/8 folksong. I never told you that you have an interesting voice to remember. …if it only would be used more confident. Usually you've got a strong character in reciting verses. Maybe doing a collab and adding some more melody in the chorus by someone else?

miscellaneous owl – This is very charming. When I hear your lovely voice I think of someone fragile that has to be protected. Just like a child you want to keep safe from this bad world. (Well, I suppose I must be totally wrong.) Some overdubs could be better in place – but hey, it's all about the feeling not only perfection. – Vote!

OG Lawn Darts – Reggae is not my favorite music style. But this one is really good. I like all parts. Guitar and especially the organ is well played. Only one little thing to criticize: the first chorus is okay but later on there is always a squeak in "anYmore". A little too exaggerated for me. But that's complaining on a high level. – Vote!

Paco del Stinko – Another song that leaves me clueless. I really dig the instrumental, the backing track. It is so great! But I really can't get into your voice this time. Sorry! At some point in the beginning I somehow hoped that your singing would go on in a way Neil Hannon/Divine Comedy does. But it doesn't.

Pigfarmer Jr – Another solid song. The chorus could have been sung a bit more confident. But I like it. I read your lyrics from the last three fights. I always dug them. They make me feel that we maybe might share a similar experience somehow. Vote!

Third Cat – Why do I have to think of Syd Barrett? Am I the only one? It grows on me. A possible vote.

Vom Vorton – Well, it's something different. Somehow it reminds me of "Benefit for Mr. Kite" which I never liked. Well, simply not my cup of tea. But I like how it builds up and ends with the trumpet sound.

wub feat tomdg – Interesting sounds but a bit repetitive even though it is quite short. I could not figure out what the distorted voice is telling. Would be nice to know.

heine – I am really happy with the song itself. I spent days of mixing and re-recording but it still felt a bit sloppy in places. Is it me? Or latency problems? I don't know.
lichenthroat wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:32 pm
heine—I really like the guitar, both playing and the chord choices. I think I might have a general liking for English-language vocals with a slight German accent; your voice works well in the song.
Thank you! I always asked myself how my voice would sound like for native American/English ears. Really? Only slight? Always hoping that my accent isn't bothering too much. Always hoping I use words and grammar in the right way. (If my lyrics or posts are bollocks please feel free to correct me – I'm still improving my English.)
www.heine-musik.de - Stark autark! - Keller Kollektiv - Vince Link - "Paragon of Teutonic Gloominess" - Elaine DiMasi
thirdcat
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, bass, keys, drums, programming
Submitting as: Third Cat

Post by thirdcat »

Heine - I love Syd Barrett and while I wasn't purposefully trying to do a Syd thing, I think the b section "see the frog in the desert" is vaguely like him. I like this comparison. Better than when Caravan Ray said I sounded like Bread.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

lichenthroat wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:32 pm
There’s obviously a very 60s folk feel here; did you set the lyrics in San Francisco to reinforce the connection to that sound and era?
Not an intentional nod, I set it in SF a) because I grew up near there, in Berkeley (Hi BSS!) so it's a familiar geography, and b) so I could write the line "riding off into the Sunset", which has no particular additional symbolic meaning but it scanned well and pleased me :)
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

heine--I liked this a lot! It's sweet and positive, and seems to all flow together really naturally. The dropout at the chorus is really effective. In the verses, I really liked the interplay between the guitar and vocals, for example, the first verse, where you start with the vocal and guitar mirroring each other in terms of emphasis, and then move to a more standard syncopated pattern. I do think the lyrics could have been a bit more inspired (though I'm sure it is not that easy in a second language to get a good feel for which rhymes are overused) and it did feel a tiny little bit long to me, didn't quite sustain my interest all the way through, maybe a bit of editing could take it to the next level?

wub feat tomdg--I like the evolution and structure of your lyrics--it's like a word game! Nice mood, and the synths sound really cool, but I wish there was more happening here; it didn't really feel fully developed to me. I think you could expand on this a bit and make it into a really great soundscape with a bit more variation or layers.

Vom Vorton--This is catchy and jaunty, and I like the sounds you've used--the Omnichord strums and fake brass in particular. +1 for rhyming "prison" and "cannibalism" and also for having "cannibalism" in the song at all. It's not really up there among my favorite VV songs, but I think it's memorable and solid and the contrast between the lyrical content and sound of the song is fun.

Lichen Throat--I was interested to see that we chose a similar lyrical theme for this fight, but they're different enough approaches, I suppose! I had sort of the opposite reaction to this as to your last fight entry: I liked the lyrics, but I had a very hard time figuring out what was happening musically with this tune and arrangement, it just felt very chaotic to me (5/4 is daunting!) A couple of lines stood out to me as not quite fitting with the tone of the rest of the lyrics--"compliment your tail," "these dumbass, foul-mouthed dudes"--a bit lower register or jokier? than the rest. I really liked the "Just use your heels to crush the snakes/and choke them on their lust" part of the chorus though, and the different scenes that you were able to sketch out so vividly with your words.

Paco del Stinko--Cool lyrics, they really put you up there on the wire with the protagonist. I like that growling synth bass thing that comes in partway through, although it's such a distinctive sound, it started to feel a bit oppressive by the end. The vocals are interesting, huge range from the sort of operatic ones at the beginning to the almost Tom Waits-y ones to the super-processed choppy tremolo part. It didn't really click for me personally on a musical level, but I thought it was a very interesting listen with a lot of transformations and drama in the course of four and a half minutes.

Pigfarmer Jr--This is one of my favorite songs of yours I've heard, I think. Great writing, the melody and lyrics work so well with each other, and the pace of the song moves along nicely without feeling like it rushes. The intro guitars are very pretty and the electric solo fits in very naturally where I think it could have easily stuck out like a sore thumb. I think the vocal performance could have been a bit better but that's just a minor nitpick, I think overall it's really great.

OG Lawn Darts--I also kind of have a genre bias against reggae because it all sounds so similar and it makes me really impatient, but this is well done, and I think the lyrics seemed more interesting than the standard fare. I liked the drum fill and breakdown coming out of the middle 8. The little upwards hiccup in the melody in the chorus was sort of weird and was the unique selling point of this song for me.

Berkeley Social Scene--Great stuff! I like the sort of fever-dream lyrics although I don't really know what they're about, and the change between verse and chorus is really nice. The verse melody reminds me slightly of "Devil's Haircut" by Beck. It's wonderfully performed/mixed/arranged. I really like the harmonies in the chorus at the end of the song, those are gorgeous, and those doubled guitar leads. The vocals sound sort of synthetic in places, was this an intentional effect or an autotune artifact? Anyway, really nice work, perhaps my favorite from this fight.

Glennny--I really liked the intro and some of the instrumental sections, but I felt like there were a bit too many things getting added in here and it felt like too much happening to get a good handle on it. I would have liked more of a change between verse and chorus; they didn't feel distinct enough to me, so it ended up feeling sort of like a 4-minute jam session with lyrics added on top instead of something deliberately composed. Seconding heine that it reminds me of "Dancing in the Dark"! Oh and the lyrical concept was an original take on the theme, which I appreciated.

Third Cat--I really liked the psych-folk feel of this, although it kind of felt like it was over too soon, I couldn't really get a handle on it by the time it ended! I wish I understood the frog in the desert verse better--as is, the first couple of lines hold up for me but by the "mustard in the sewers" line it feels too ~random~ and not like something that's really intended to convey meaning or paint a picture. Or I guess maybe it does and I just don't want to see a frog sewer mustard picture... anyway, I felt like I was missing something. Vocals are good, and production-wise, I really liked the bits of trippy effects combined with the simple acoustic guitar.

miscellaneous owl--This was an extremely last-minute entry, I ended up starting to write it the night before and finishing/recording it all the day of the official deadline. I should have more carefully considered what key to put it in (capo'd up mainly to accommodate the lowest note in the bridge)--I later ended up switching what I was considering the harmony and lead melody lines because the higher line was an awkward range for my voice, and re-recording everything for the umpteenth time, so there was some sloppiness there with matching the vocals, and I just kept the first guitar take that was "good enough" despite some flubs, particularly in the bridge. I dunno what happened to cause the glitches thirdcat mentioned, probably accidentally chopping up some takes because it was late at night, I'll have to take a closer look at my project to see if I can fix that.

I was listening to folk music playlists on Spotify all day before I wrote it and felt like I wanted to write something almost insubstantially light and pretty and flowing about something dark, I'm pleased with the end result (why yes I do like Simon and Garfunkel, why do you ask?) Coincidentally my second songfight song in a row to reference Apollo, but it wasn't really intentional. Lyrically, along with the same gross and/or frightening personal experiences I'm sure almost every woman has had when daring to exist in public, I was specifically thinking about a friend of mine who developed early and dramatically, and told me in junior high about getting harassed by absolutely everyone, including getting asked out by her bus driver, despite her best attempts to wear giant shapeless hoodies and avoid eye contact.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

owl wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:35 pm
Lichen Throat--I was interested to see that we chose a similar lyrical theme for this fight, but they're different enough approaches, I suppose!
I thought it was interesting that we had chosen the same theme, too! I'm surprised there aren't more songs about this topic; I can only think of two others: Bree Sharp's "Guttermouth" and The Dollyrots' "Cat Calling." I really like both of those songs, and yours is a more than worthy addition to the group.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

I haven't heard either! Will have to check them out at some point.
I'm sure there are plenty of songs on the topic from the other side ("Pretty Woman"?)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

miscellaneous owl wins again!
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Join us as we quickly run through the My Favorite Monster fight, as well as a more detailed look at Walk Steady.

Here's how to play along at home: Vent your spleen at: feedback@twojerksonevote.com.

Here's a list of timings to guide you, the listener, through your journey through our podcast.

My Favorite Monster quickie reviews:
  • 00:03:56 - Berkeley Social Scene
  • 00:04:44 - Cybronica
  • 00:06:01 - Glennny
  • 00:07:29 - heine
  • 00:09:17 - Lichen Throat
  • 00:11:26 - miscellaneous owl
  • 00:12:37 - Paco Del Stinko
  • 00:13:15 - Pigfarmer Jr
  • 00:14:20 - PJ/CR
  • 00:14:52 - Reve and Ujn
  • 00:15:12 - Third Cat
  • 00:15:40 - Ujn and Reve
  • 00:16:15 - Vom Vorton
Walk Steady reviews:
  • 00:17:06 - Berkeley Social Scene
  • 00:19:34 - Glennny
  • 00:21:28 - heine
  • 00:23:49 - Lichen Throat
  • 00:26:48 - miscellaneous owl
  • 00:29:59 - OG Lawn Darts
  • 00:32:48 - Paco del Stinko
  • 00:35:14 - Pigfarmer Jr
  • 00:39:27 - Third Cat
  • 00:42:40 - Vom Vorton
  • 00:45:28 - wub feat tomdg
  • 00:46:33 - End-of-podcast yammering
Rock on!
Last edited by Chumpy on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Congrats on another win, owl! Close second for BSS.

Good to see the podcast back, too!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratulations. You're racking up the winnage percentage.

owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Awesome, cheers! That was a super close one.
Chumpy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:17 pm
Both these links go to the same place and I still can't get to it! (I tried on another computer too) Can you put up the AWS link?
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

owl wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:47 am
Both these links go to the same place and I still can't get to it! (I tried on another computer too) Can you put up the AWS link?
Doh! That's on me, I just edited the original post to correct the issue.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Great podcast again! I'm listening now and enjoying it.

FYI that's my guitar in the BSS song that caught your attention. It's a 90s Japanese HRR ("Hot Rod Reissue") Strat that's like a classic Strat with some heavy metal appointments: a DiMarzio humbucker in the bridge, a Floyd Rose, and shallow C shaped neck. It was my very first electric guitar I ever got, I've had it 25+ years at this point, and I still love it! The really juiced up tone is from running that guitar's humbucker through the Saucy Box overdrive I got recently and a Rat, into my Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I'm going into the minutiae because I was happy with that tone and the feedback and whammying in the song, so it's nice that somebody heard and noticed it. :)

This is pretty similar to my guitar, only, I've got the original chrome whammy bar (not a black one):

http://www.fuzzfaced.net/hrr-50s-stratocaster.html