Show Us Your Junk!

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

Show Us Your Junk!

Post by Chumpy »

So this company EarthQuaker Devices, which makes pretty cool pedals, does this series of videos where they have famous and semi-famous musicians and engineers show off their gear. Lately these videos have been pretty great. This morning I watched one with legendary musician and producer Steve Albini which I really enjoyed. There was also a great one with Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth which I also really liked. Check 'em out!

Show Us Your Junk! Ep. 23 - Steve Albini
Show Us Your Junk! Ep. 18 - Lee Ranaldo
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Show Us Your Junk!

Post by Lunkhead »

Ooh, these look very exciting. I'm watching the Steve Albini one now, it's awesome, I love it. Just got to the "I have the worst pedals ever" bit, lol!!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

If you are over 18 and have a valid credit card number I’d be happy to send you photographs of my penis and testicles.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

These are great! Thanks again for posting. I really enjoyed the Mark Mothersbaugh and Dan the Automator videos too, and I'm going to watch some more!

(I love Mark Mothersbaugh's circular building an Dan the Automator's amazing keyboard collection.)
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Watching the Steve Albini one now, after an old bandmate sent it my way as well. This brings back memories! The first band I was ever in (with said bandmate) recorded an album at Electrical Audio, with Greg Norman, in Studio B. We stayed there and met Steve Albini and the studio cats and also some of the guys from Fucked Up, who were recording an album in Studio A at the same time. We probably could have done just fine recording at some studio that was cheaper and closer to home, but I'm happy to have had the experience.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

owl wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:16 pm
Watching the Steve Albini one now, after an old bandmate sent it my way as well. This brings back memories! The first band I was ever in (with said bandmate) recorded an album at Electrical Audio, with Greg Norman, in Studio B. We stayed there and met Steve Albini and the studio cats and also some of the guys from Fucked Up, who were recording an album in Studio A at the same time. We probably could have done just fine recording at some studio that was cheaper and closer to home, but I'm happy to have had the experience.
Wow, that's awesome!! Definitely sounds worth it. The album sounds great, too.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

aw thank you!
this might be old news for anyone who's been doing this for a long time, but the whole analog-only recording and mixing experience is also a super interesting contrast to all the piecemeal digital recording I do these days. Lots of instant decisions on whether a take is good enough, next to no backup/second takes, very little ability to "fix in post," and the engineer riding all the faders during the mixdown is really artful and impressive to behold.