There can be only one.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Nur Ein XIV Round One "Shock Value"

Post by Niveous »

25 Nur Ein Competitors, how will you handle this challenge?

Submit an original song by May 6th at 12:01 AM (EDT) that fits the following criteria

Title: Shock Value
Challenge: Dynamics.

(Make a song with quiet and loud parts -- like every Pixies song you love. This can mean crescendos or decrescendos, sudden loud noises, whatever, just make good use of dynamics.)

Send your MP3 to nurein.sidefight@gmail.com

Good luck!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Re: Nur Ein XIV Round One "Shock Value"

Post by BoffoYux »

Round 1 Listening Party will be here

Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

So....is the bit in parentheses part of the challenge? Or is it just a suggestion based around around one very narrow interpretation of the word “dynamics”?
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Chumpy »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:38 pm
So....is the bit in parentheses part of the challenge? Or is it just a suggestion based around around one very narrow interpretation of the word “dynamics”?
It's a suggestion for people who haven't read the Wikipedia article on Dynamics.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Chumpy wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:03 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:38 pm
It's a suggestion for people who haven't read the Wikipedia article on Dynamics.

This is the Wikipedia article that more fits my understanding of “dynamics”:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamics_(mechanics)

It seems like an invitation to write another song about Isaac Newton.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

all you need is a fade out for the challenge.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Sounds like you're bringing the overly prescriptive Spin Tunes mentality to Nur Ein. ;)
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

glennny wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:49 pm
all you need is a fade out for the challenge.
Of course there will be a fade out. All proper songs have a fade out.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

I would like to thank the diverse array of 90s bands that I have pastiched into a pastiche.
ariskofrain
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: rain
Pronouns: they/them

Post by ariskofrain »

from the lyrics already posted in the archive thread, i'm happy to see that i'm not the only one gettin a bit political. i'm very much looking forward to hearing these entries, y'all.
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

BYD kinda went to a dark place this time around. They all can't be happy dittys.

While we are on the edge, I'll say most of this one doesn't come from real life. Yeah - most of it.
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

BoffoYux wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:58 pm
BYD kinda went to a dark place this time around. They all can't be happy dittys.

While we are on the edge, I'll say most of this one doesn't come from real life. Yeah - most of it.
Mine does. Still not sure how I feel about it. The words say what the words say.
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

My song is based on, like, antiques roadshow and the great BBC show Four Rooms.

People think their stuff is worth more than it is and the real...
...Value...
may come as a...
...Shock... to them.

idk.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

There is an election in Australia soon. I have already voted pre-poll.

I am currently writing and recording in France*.

If the people mentioned in my song get re-elected - I’m not going back.

(*I’d like to say I had a cool Rolling Stones reason for that - ie. I am recording an album in a mansion in the south of France for tax reasons....but I am just on holidays. The vocal for this song were recorded in the carpeted stairwell of my Montparnasse hotel and most of the backing done at 50,000 feet on a flight from Brisbane to Dubai).
BoffoYux
Panama

Post by BoffoYux »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:26 pm
(*I’d like to say I had a cool Rolling Stones reason for that - ie. I am recording an album in a mansion in the south of France for tax reasons....but I am just on holidays. The vocal for this song were recorded in the carpeted stairwell of my Montparnasse hotel and most of the backing done at 50,000 feet on a flight from Brisbane to Dubai).
Sounds like a cool reason to me. You do what you can where you can. I remember one band once sent their vocals in from a bathroom in the club they were on the road with a gig, because that was the best echo chamber available.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Lots of original lyrics this week! I just wrote about Bleak House again.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Holy shit, Mandibles!

:D
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

vowlvom wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:40 am
Holy shit, Mandibles!

:D
<3

Our song is about the infamous Dr. Milgram Experiments of the ~1950’s. I’d post a link to the Wikipedia article, but you guys should hear the song first. Knowing the whole story might spoil the.... Shock Value. :)
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Wish I was working on a song. Instead I did a mostly first pass of reviews.

Abominominous- Killer riffs! I’m in after the first few seconds. I like this a lot! Great performances! If anything I wish the drums were louder. Great solo. Dynamics are done very well. This is top tier in the fight!

Agony Sauce- This is a fantastic song. Love the Mo soloing! Moloing? I think the challenge hurt the song. I’d much rather hear this mixed normally. The quiet parts are too quiet, I’m riding the volume knob. Ending solo and hits are worth the price of admission. Great song! Great playing. I hate the challenge on this one.

BSS- Geech on drums. Martin on bass. Glen (me) on Mike Campbell guitar. Lunkhead on vocals and rhythm guitar. Lunkhead takes the end soloing too. We were talking about Television during this session. I love the way it turned out. It’s all live with overdubbed vocals.

BYD- This is very cool. I really enjoy the chorus. This is another one where I think the challenge hurt the song. I have to turn up the volume to hear the verses right. Is this the heaviest thing you guys have ever done?

Faster Jackalope- The Cavedweller contingent took over this one. I’m doing production and vocals and rhythm guitars and bass. Truth is playing flute, he takes the lead guitar too. We collaborated on the lyrics. This was really fun to record.

FBF- Welcome to Sprockets! This is cool. Awesome Reeves Gabrels lead guitar! Is that you Frank on lead guitar? It’s great! This is a really left field song for you. I dig it.

Grumpy Mike- I don’t care much for the spoken word. That’s juxtaposed with adoring the rest of the song. So catchy! Production is awesome. Again, would the spoken word be there were it not for the challenge? Power pop fun!

Inflatable Veg- Mix is strange. Guitar is so quiet. Had to turn up the volume for the quiet bits. I wish the drums were more interesting. I like the lyrics and vocal delivery.

Lichen Throat- Nice dynamics! The song is a bit too repetitive. Lots of cool sounds and good riffs though. It sounds to be like you’re singing quietly.

Lucky Spoon- vocals are way too hot. Quiet bits are too quiet. Nicely written song! I enjoy the structure, the performances are great. My only issues are with the mix. You remind me of Train in the louder bits.

Mandibles- This is awesome! Cybronica is a loud singer, and I think she’s too loud in the mix during her parts. I love the performances! I happen to know the story because you (Truth) told me. I had to look it up. I think you should write a song bio. Make sure the judges see it soon.

Max Bombast- Radio ready. Cool riffs! Superb singing! Love the mix. I wish there was some lead guitar in a solo section (and I was playing it). Super strong! Awesome!

Merisan- I love it so much when Merisan rocks! This rocks! I want this album. I’m blown away! This is the song to beat. Certainly my favorite so far. Bravo!

Mike Lamb- God damn this challenge! What’s going on? I can’t fucking hear it. If I turn it up, how long until I’m blasted. Turned up. Sweet little jam going on! Songs like this make me wish I was listening on Sound Cloud so I could see the wave form of the whole song and anticipate the blast. Hmmm, the whole thing was quiet.

Mousehole- I recognize the garage band strings. Nice ambience. This song really needs a hook.

Nick Soma- I’m enjoying the quiet bits more than the loud bits. This evokes Pink Floyd. I like this a lot! Good stuff!

Paco- Excellent dynamics! Incredible playing! Nice to hear live drums playing quiet and loud. The guitar solo is amazing! Great Job!

Rachel Layne- Amazing performances. Especially the vocals. That said, I’m not really into the groove nor the melody. Much respect for this song, but isn’t grabbing me. This is my first listen, so maybe I’ll “get it” on subsequent listens. Killer vocals though!

Rain Watt- Indie Rock Gold! This would come up on my Spotify Discover playlist. I have a deep genre bias towards this. I had to go re-listen to Message Received. I liked it, but I love this one. Dynamics get an A+. It gets quiet and it serves the composition. This is a contender for the top spot.

Sunday Colors- Excellent vocals. Guitar is adequate, but not really interesting enough to be the entire accompaniment. No access to bass and drums? Or drum loops? This feels like a demo. As a G and G , the dynamics are done well. Dynamics serve the song.

Third Cat- Lots of delightful sounds in this one. Very good dynamics! This is on the mellow side. The breakdown lead by the bass is my favorite part.

Ujn & Friends- WOW! Dynamic! I was surprised on first listen, then spent the 2nd listen in joyful anticipation of the fast part. How did you get the Ozzy sounding vocals? That’s so cool!

Vowl Sounds- this goes at the end of your album. I really have to be in the right mood for this. It’s really slow and draggy. Great playing and beautiful singing, nice dynamics.

In general i think this challenge hurt a lot of good songs.

My non objective favorites are FJ and BSS .
My objective favorites are: Merisan (FTW), Rain Watt, Ujn & Friends, Paco, Abominominous

No bad songs, all a good listen, even if I had to ride the volume knob.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

glennny wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:22 am
Grumpy Mike- I don’t care much for the spoken word. That’s juxtaposed with adoring the rest of the song. So catchy! Production is awesome. Again, would the spoken word be there were it not for the challenge? Power pop fun!
If not for the challenge, the power pop wouldn't be there! The spoken part is because of the story written for the title! Otherwise, you're far too kind and also dedicated to have reviews complete already. I could have used another day with this one.
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Rain Watt-

Your song is certainly original enough. Please don't take this the wrong way. Your song I found would come up between:

Fang Island - Sisterly

and

Boat- Classically Trained