Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Nur Ein XIV Round One "Shock Value"

Post by Cybronica »

Spintown wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:05 pm
Max Bombast
I JUST listened to the Mandibles...and that’s unfortunate for them. This blew my mind because I thought I just heard a really good song on this topic, and I honestly liked everything about this more so than the previous song.
Honestly, me too. :D
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

mo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:02 pm
How do you know I don’t have a Jheri curl?
At least someone finally mentioned Hall & Oates. I went through a phase of them for a couple months last year, the “before they got big” stuff.
They are coming to Madison soon and I'm considering going to see them. I can see the resemblance in your track! Parts of it remind me of a peppier "She's Gone."

I was honestly never really a fan of them, but I played keyboards in a Hall and Oates tribute band (consisting of one Hall and five Oateses) a few years back for a Halloween tribute show and they definitely grew on me! Please enjoy this photo of us in our not-super-convincing finery, including my magnificent mustache, which I grew specially for the show. (Ok this was the closest thing they had at the Halloween superstore)
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

owl wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:58 pm
mo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:02 pm
How do you know I don’t have a Jheri curl?
At least someone finally mentioned Hall & Oates. I went through a phase of them for a couple months last year, the “before they got big” stuff.
They are coming to Madison soon and I'm considering going to see them. I can see the resemblance in your track! Parts of it remind me of a peppier "She's Gone."

I was honestly never really a fan of them, but I played keyboards in a Hall and Oates tribute band (consisting of one Hall and five Oateses) a few years back for a Halloween tribute show and they definitely grew on me! Please enjoy this photo of us in our not-super-convincing finery, including my magnificent mustache, which I grew specially for the show. (Ok this was the closest thing they had at the Halloween superstore)
that photo is hilarious. I may, however, now have nightmares about a half-Hall, half-Oates beast coming to eat me alive
bennyharv3
A New Player
Submitting as: bennyharv3

Post by bennyharv3 »

Sorry we are so late to the party, but the New Ugly episode for this week is finally here! I've fallen way behind, so it's not the cleanest edit. I did try and fix the volumes of everything, so I think it's all better now, but I didn't add the full songs because I don't want to fuss with the volume so late in the week. Enjoy!

http://podcast.songlander.com/?name=201 ... in14-1.mp3
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

Both Niv and Spin mentioned my song lacking emotion in parts. Niv specifically referred to the quiet sections, and I don't know about Spin, but if it's the choruses that convey boredom to you, then I don't know what else I can do, as I put as much emotion into them as I could.
Now, I wrote about BPD because both the title and challenge seemed to fit the theme. As a BPD character is emotionally unstable, I tried to use dynamics to signify the emotional state changing.
The verses are intentionally restrained, basically void of emotion, as the main character is in a state where they can't seem to feel anything, like a heavy depression, but seemingly distant and apathetic to the outsider.
Then an outburst of emotion is approaching, signified by the crescendo and the lyrical shift to a slightly more menacing tone ("I want you all to prepare..."), while the actual outburst in the choruses is of a desperate, pleading kind, trying to get the person's significant other to hold them so they can feel love (and themselves) again.
The post-choruses with the odd time signature (5/8, I believe? I have no idea if that's correct. Nobody has mentioned it yet) signify growing anger and frustration, which calms down again after each one except the second one. After the second chorus, the post-chorus / bridge is total emotional turmoil, frustration, fear of being left alone. As the protagonist sinks into depression, things calm down again for the second bridge, but the protagonist's mood is still shifting ("...to desperation, to nostalgia, to depression..."), only to be followed by another emotional outburst. The ending is meant to summarize it all: everything is quiet and beautiful with that synth pad, but something is uneasy about it, and the loud crashing final chord tells the listener the next meltdown is just around the corner.

Oops, that was a bit long. :o
Hope my explanation made sense. Anyway, those are the emotions I'm trying to convey, but maybe this doesn't work for you at all. I'm still not too sure if the verse / chorus contrast in the vocals was a good idea.
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power

Post by arby »

ok sorry for the delay, here are my reviews:

23. Rain Watt - I loved this. This time I’m getting Fountains of Wayne from Rain Watt. Again this is a huge compliment. Not only is the music super strong but the lyrics are brilliant. Biting, so smart, and so vulnerable in the breakdown. They really resonated with me on several levels, from laughter at how snarky the disses were, to identifying with them on the bridge ("if you get to yourself before they do/does it hurt less" was my fucking mantra for like the 1st 35 years of my life. it's why I STILL can't take a compliment without audibly self-critiquing to make up for it. Anyway, moving on). Dynamics challenge nailed. All around top notch.

22. Grumpy Mike - This reminded me SO MUCH of both Weezer and Nada Surf, love it. And even a little musical shout out to “Creep” in the crunchy guitars just after the 2nd verse. The spoken word sections are funny and surprisingly doesn’t bother me on relistens. Lyrics are great and sung parts are catchy AF. Shout out to Chumbawumba. This is 90’s pastiche done perfectly, and I am here for it.

21. Frankie Big Face - The music hooked me right away, I am reminded of Thomas Dolby, big ups. The spoken parts though sometimes creepy and gross (which usually would turn me off) are actually pretty funny - I especially like the lady who died grabbing the live wire and her sister demonstrating dying the same way. I’m sorry that is ironic and hilarious. The music continues bopping and keeping my interest throughout the song.

20. Max Bombast - First of all, I love the concept of writing about a Milgram participant from the point of view of the one receiving the shocks. Nice angle. Secondly, like every other MB/Skub song I’ve ever heard, this is musically just very well done. Catchy, well produced, fun and a joy to listen to. The heartbeats in the beginning are cool but may be a bit too subtle as I thought it was silence on every platform until I actually opened the file in my sound editor only to see there was sound there!

19. Agony Sauce - This one was interesting because I started out every listen almost hating it, just because it sounded so Top 40. It’s like Jack Johnson or something. But then it gets better. I do not think I like the attempt at dynamics by making the first half of the song just quieter/less instrumented than the 2nd half. However, as it goes on I start getting more of a Doobie Brothers/Eagles vibe (hate them) BUT then at the end I suddenly feel 10 cc/Godley and Creme and then I actually start to like it. I LOVE the call back to spelling and the harmonies on that last “shocck”. So basically I overcame a lot of genre bias to put this as high as I did.

18. Merisan - I like the singing better than most Merisan songs, she’s more straightforward and not coy. The song is not bad, the usual meaningless lyrics but the music is pretty good, muscular hard rock. As usual I like the harmonies. My only complaint is at the end when she goes up the octave, the tone is so radically different that it doesn’t sound like the same singer. Maybe something could be done with the production to beef her up in this kind of situation?

17. The Sunday Colors - Yay, tSC has beefed up their production! It’s still not as strong as the other audio professionals, but WAY better than the last entry. Again the lyrics are very strong. The guitar is a bit repetitive for my taste. I know it switches up at that one part into single strums, but I would have liked to hear an even more different part, like slow fingerpicking in a bridge or something.

16. Inflatable Vegetables - This reminds me of Phantom of the Opera. Every time I hear the beginning of this I say to myself why did I rank it so high, and then the chorus comes in and I’m like “oh yeah”. I like the chorus, it’s catchy. Also I like the lyric “F bombs drop like missiles over Syria”.

15. Rachael Layne - A bit of genre bias against this on my part, it’s a bit too metal/sludgy for my taste. Guitar sounds great, vocal is appropriately growly. Lyrics are a bit cheesy, though I appreciate the sentiment. Song is catchy enough and it’s performed well. I like the harmonies. It’s just not my cup of tea per se. But it stood out enough from the pack to be ranked here.

14. Vowl Sounds - Pretty! Something different from Vowl Sounds here. I appreciated a softer song after all the hard rock. This reminds me a little of Frankie Big Face’s entry from Round 0, in that it sets a mood from the beginning and stays there throughout. I liked this a lot but it didn’t really stick with me the way everything above it did.

13. Third Cat - This was pleasant and inoffensive. A little bit country. Reminds me of a Flying Burrito Brothers or Jayhawks track. I like the reverb washed out vocals on the chorus. Bassline on the bridge/instrumental section is nice. Didn’t really stick with me, but I didn’t mind it while it was playing.

12. Paco del Stinko - this is another one where I didn’t really like the verses, but the chorus gets me. Paco seems to really deliver the catchy choruses. This reminds me of a cross between Nick Soma and Boffo Yux Dudes. The 1st bridge is a bit too Cheap Trick for me. The second one kind of loses me, but good dynamics. Great guitar solo!

11. Berkeley Social Scene - I thought this was totally middle of the road until after I posted the rankings, when I was listening again and suddenly they reminded me of Sloan, and now I like it way more. Sorry guys! Lyrics are kind of lame (more aggro posturing), but musically this isn’t half bad.

10. Boffo Yux Dudes - interesting moody track from BYD, I’ve never heard them do something like this. I like the line “the sheets now hold a lake of sweat”. They kind of lose me in the chorus until the high note. It’s ok. Wouldn’t listen to outside the contest.

9. Mousehole - I like the beginning, the vocal effects are cool. I like the ping-ponging on the drums. The air sirens in the background are cool too. The lyrics are a bit on the nose/obvious. Overall though it’s not bad, though I got kind of bored halfway through.

8. Abominominous - I have a strong genre bias against this one, sorry. Reminds me of Queens of the Stone Age (or at least the songs by them Nivs plays in band rehearsal sometimes, since I’ve never actually listened to QotSA). Arrangement is just so busy, it wearies my ears. And the lyrics are kind of word salad. It’s not badly done, just not my cup of tea.

7. Faster Jackalope - I keep getting confused when I hear Glennny singing and thinking it’s BSS. This was fine but too heavy in the chorus and light in the verses for my taste. Plus as a Gen X’er, I deeply resent the line about “Gen X being as bad as the Boomers”!!! SO not true! The flute solo makes me laugh, suddenly they’re Jethro Tull?

6. Nick Soma - His voice sounds like Lichen Throat here. I like the concept behind the song a lot (having read his note in the lyrics thread, and having known people with BPD who act out like this), but the actual song doesn’t really do it for me. Dynamics are well done. Good effort.

5. Mike Lamb - Uggh I really didn’t like the lyrics of this one at all. It seems really slut-shaming and gross. And the music didn’t really redeem it. Pretty boring in the beginning and then suddenly it gets country, nope nope nope. Backing vocals are pitchy. Sorry.

4. Mandibles - I like the verses okay, music is pretty and the vocals are earnest and plaintive which makes sense for the storyline, but the chorus is tiresome. Rinse and repeat. I get the conceit, it’s basically a rock opera. Points for ambition, but I didn’t love the results.

3. Lucky Spoon - I feel like this is an inferior version of “Father and Son” by Cat Stevens. That put me against it from the get-go. Also the music on the “son” part is overly didactic, in that the chord changes mimic the vocal line in a way which I find tedious. I will admit the harmonies on the 2nd verse are appealing. But overall I wouldn’t listen to. Good job on the dynamics, but the title is kind of an afterthought. Also feels way too long.

2. Lichen Throat - Vocals are too pitchy. Music is nice on the instrumental parts, sounds like the Cure. Lyrics are kind of trite/predictable. Not your best track.

1. Ujn Hunter + Friends - This made me legit mad, because I liked the first minute and a half a lot, but then suddenly I’m totally turned off by the death metal. I get it, dynamics, shock value, well done in theory, but it didn’t make it any more pleasant to listen to. I am tempted to edit the file to cut the song in half, that’s how much more I liked the first part and hated the second part.
Last edited by arby on Mon May 13, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

Cool new ugly podcast - it's great how in-depth you go with all the songs, I agree about the drums not working on mine and I very much appreciate the kind words on my vocals, I could always use a confidence boost in that area.

Props to Agony Sauce as their song keeps popping in my head! I think they've moved to my personal #2 for the round after Vowl Sounds
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Reviews! In order of descending bombasticness. Because of the challenge almost all of the songs had wild, theatrical changes in volume and energy, making this a very bombastic crop of tunes indeed. It also made this playlist almost impossible to listen to on my livingroom setup.

THE MAX BOMBAST AWARD FOR MAX BOMBAST GOES TO...

Ujn Hunter + Friends: this song is huge! Love the mids coming through on the bass, it never gets lost. That gearshift into thrash, those rolling toms, the ripping vocals and judicious double kicks rocket this to the top of the bombastic list. And then it's done. Not a wasted second.

DANGEROUSLY BOMBASTIC

Abominominious: This song is so baritone. Those chunky hammer-on riffs are ear candy. These vocals have a swagger and variety that I seldom hear outside of Mike Patton projects. I would watch a spy movie with this on the soundtrack.

Rachael Layne: Love that snarl. This chorus is huge. Chromatic riffs in the bridge, is it my birthday? A headbanger for certain.

Mandibles: Genius subject matter, if I do say so myself! ;) I honestly didn't think anyone else would write a song about the Milgram Experiment. These theatrical choruses are, like, Meatloaf-level bombast. Do I hear a mandolin in the verse?

Max Bombast: Pretty happy with this one. Those big chorus drums and snare flams are plenty bombastic, as is the instrumental freakout underneath Cary Elwes's Death Rattle (band name?), but the vocal delivery and melody are too earnest to earn me much more than Above-Average Bombast on this one.

Faster Jackalope: Lots of great stuff here. The verse harmonies are so sweet, and then the guitars in the enormous chorus are just out-of-control. This strong contrast is a great example of dynamics done well. The flute melody in the bridge reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on. Top notch yell-singing.

VERY BOMBASTIC INDEED

Boffo Yux Dudes: I was not ready for this intense chorus, as catchy as it is noisy. Those falsetto screams are worth a lot of bombasticness points, obv. The Ratatat-style guitarmonies in the second verse are very nice.

Inflatable Vegatables: I'd see this musical, too. Love the dynamic vocal delivery, especially the contrast between the sneering chorus and the introspection of the 3rd verse. I dig it.

Paco: All the exaggerated dynamics and snare swells make me giggle. Wonderful nonsense. The confident vocal delivery is great as always. Probably the best treatment of the challenge.

Merisan: Hooks for days... somehow every part of this is catchy? These drums are all punch, and they do a wonderful job of driving the song forward. Erin in fine form here, and the dry lead vocal is so immediate. This song wastes no time at all. That solo is exactly the kind of cheese I like. Makes me wanna play some Crazy Taxi.

Lucky Spoon: I really like the clear vocal delivery, especially on the last line. The overlapping lines between the verse and the chorus are distracting / baffling. Subverts expectations with a quiet chorus. Huge verses with wonderful harmonies and dumb guitars.

Nick Soma: I wasn't on board with the verse until the glockenspiel line, then I've bought in. Soaring chorus with big drum fills and a juicy bass tone, although RIP my ears on that heavy guitar tone.

Frankie Big Face: What is even going on here. Is this rap? Whatever it is, it knows what it wants to be and is very in-my-face about it. A great groove/vibe counts for a lot.

Berkeley Social Scene: Pick bass is yes. Hooks everywhere, great guitar tones: high caliber rocking indeed. The bragadaccio earns bonus bombastic points.

SOMEWHAT BOMBASTIC

Rain Watt: Lo-fi goodness. Glorious melodies. The quiet sections are very intimate. "If you get to yourself before they do does it hurt less?" is electric, what a great line. Tangible rage. Love the pretty, noisy pileup at the end.

Agony Sauce: The verse has one of those classic melodies I feel like I should have heard before. I love how the song swells from DI to amps a-crankin'. Any solo with bent harmonics is at least somewhat bombatic. Glenn, spelling was last week.

Mousehole: A cool mashup of vibes here, antifa-trap remixed orchestral background music. When indeed!

SONGS OF DUBIOUS BOMBASTICNESS

Vowel Sounds: A masters course on verb/delay. This is the most goergous song I've heard that contains the words "piss christ". Love that big ending.

Grumpy Mike: Tons of funny here, just bursting with good word play / punchlines. That chorus guitar tone is a nostalgia blast. Surprising absolutely no one, I think this song could benefit from a more (wait for it) bombastic vocal delivery; a brassy, pop-punk attack would help the lyrics cut through the guitars and more clearly convey the tone.

Third Cat: Lush. Timing feels loose in places. The constant change-ups propel this song forward, but rob it of cohesiveness.

NOT BOMBASTIC

The Sunday Colours: Pretty and catchy and authentic sounding. Authenticness is the the enemy of bombast.

Mike Lamb: The mean subject matter could lend itself to a bombastic treatment, but this isn't it. That DI acoustic sound is too sterile for me.

Lichen Throat: Digging the drum beat here, especially the occasional tom hits for emphasis. More oomph in the vocal delivery, please.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

Adam! wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm
I think this song could benefit from a more (wait for it) bombastic vocal delivery
The timing of your review is ironic. Thank you for the thoughtful, positive, constructive reviews.
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: B-b-b-b-bass
Recording Method: Alesis io|26, Reaper, Rode NT, Pixies
Submitting as: Lucky Spoon, Rabbit vs Table

Post by Lucky Spoon »

A couple shout outs before I clear my playlist. Sorry, didn't have enough time to listen thoroughly and review everyone. Props to the judges who put in the work to do this every week.

Rain Watt - guitars a bit grating at first, but the chorus/hook sucked me in big, loved it. Then I listened to the lyrics and they were very heartfelt and passionate. Great song!

Rachel Layne - loved the gritty vocals. Your song sounds especially awesome when it's sped up about 25%

Grumpy Mike - I loved the egregious amount of various "shocks" that went into your song. Some went over my head at first. Your production is always great and you always end up with something that gets stuck in my head.

Merisan - great intro. dig the rockin' vibe

the Sunday Color - very energetic performance for g&g. you can really hear the vision for the song that would develop from the fully produced version. seems like the energy level is high the whole song without much variation. it's a great energy level it just needs some variation to make it pop a bit more.

vowl sounds - got nervous when i heard 2girls1cup, but this is one of my favorites this week. the slow mellow vibe is soft fluffy bed you fall into slow motion. it fits the lyrics so well, so heartfelt.

BSS - shout out because your thinking about the old days is still one of my favorite songs. sup.

Lucky Spoon - re: new ugly podcast. I teared up when I came up with the opening riff/lyrics. glad it touched you too ;)
Apollo14... Keeping mooses safe since 1992. Full album here

Sneaky Bear Music Video - He's just a #SneakyBear
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

glennny wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:22 am
Ujn & Friends- WOW! Dynamic! I was surprised on first listen, then spent the 2nd listen in joyful anticipation of the fast part. How did you get the Ozzy sounding vocals? That’s so cool!
Thanks for the review, I'm glad at least a couple people liked what I was trying to do... even though a couple judges crucified me for it... ouch! I guess the number one trick to the "Ozzy" vocals... would be the fact that I'm doubling the vocal with my "lead" guitar. As you probably already know some of Ozzy's most famous songs are where he basically sings the riff, so in this case, I'm adding a "riff" or "lead" to copy what I'm singing... which gets you an "Ozzy" vocal I suppose!
vowlvom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:36 am
Ujn Hunter + Friends - your more metal stuff doesn't personally appeal as much to me as your punkier stuff but this is really well done and uses dynamics well. The double-challenge inclusion here doesn't work for me as well as your previous track either but also it doesn't bother me as much as BSS did. I don't think you've got much to worry about in terms of elimination (re: your comment elsewhere)!
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I don't think you're the only one ::wink, wink:: that my metal stuff doesn't personally appeal to... and it looks like I wasn't that far off in my worries for elimination... just goes to show you how a couple of judges with somewhat different musical tastes can sink the song rankings pretty quickly... I figured I'd be middle of the pack again... which I mostly was... but two super low scores tanked it hard.
arby wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:11 pm
1. Ujn Hunter + Friends - This made me legit mad, because I liked the first minute and a half a lot, but then suddenly I’m totally turned off by the death metal. I get it, dynamics, shock value, well done in theory, but it didn’t make it any more pleasant to listen to. I am tempted to edit the file to cut the song in half, that’s how much more I liked the first part and hated the second part.
You're killin' me here. ;) I don't know when the Death Metal came in? Maybe it was a different song? Oh, the Thrashy part... I was going for more of a Powertrip vibe than a "Death Metal" vibe but yes... it was mainly for the unexpected "shock value"... and I don't know if the judges pick the challenges or not, but ya'll shouldn't pick challenges like that if you don't want people to follow through on them. I don't take it personal, but come on, you said you actually liked the first minute... did it really deserve to be last place? ;) Maybe someday I'll finish off the more "Doomy" opening to your liking... maybe it'll have to wait for another song.
Adam! wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm
THE MAX BOMBAST AWARD FOR MAX BOMBAST GOES TO...

Ujn Hunter + Friends: this song is huge! Love the mids coming through on the bass, it never gets lost. That gearshift into thrash, those rolling toms, the ripping vocals and judicious double kicks rocket this to the top of the bombastic list. And then it's done. Not a wasted second.
Thank you for your kind words! This is what makes it all worth it for me. Not everyone has to like it... (though I guess I should probably try and get the judges to like it in a song competition...) but the people who do appreciate it make it worth the effort. I realize "metal" is not really something I should be recording in Nur Ein however, unless I know the judges tastes before hand. We'll see if I can even make it past Round Two or not though.

Also, thanks to Chumpy & Ryan (and guests) and also Mike & Ben for their super cool podcast reviews, I really enjoy listing to them both. I just wanted to say that my song was indeed planned out... and I didn't just randomly come up with different sections and then decide to stop working on it. This may actually be the first song I ever had such a clear vision in which I pretty much accomplished what I had set out to do. Hopefully some people enjoyed it, and hopefully some people were "shocked". ;)

P.S. Just wanted to give a shout out to [SPOILER!] the "Mad Queen" Daenerys for making my song lyrics come true.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
arby
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Omnichord, vocals
Recording Method: ZOOM, GarageBand
Submitting as: Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost, Virgo Power

Post by arby »

ujnhunter wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm
You're killin' me here. ;) I don't know when the Death Metal came in? Maybe it was a different song? Oh, the Thrashy part... I was going for more of a Powertrip vibe than a "Death Metal" vibe but yes... it was mainly for the unexpected "shock value"... and I don't know if the judges pick the challenges or not, but ya'll shouldn't pick challenges like that if you don't want people to follow through on them. I don't take it personal, but come on, you said you actually liked the first minute... did it really deserve to be last place? ;) Maybe someday I'll finish off the more "Doomy" opening to your liking... maybe it'll have to wait for another song.
Hmmmm. I listened to it again just now and it probably could have been 2nd to last instead of last. Ha! I still love the first half, the second half (yes, thrash was what I was referring to as "death metal" because the line "I'll eviscerate your family / for shock value" sounded like death metal to me) still bugs me, and in addition, the whole song is too short. If you had continued the pretty bit at the very very end and come back to the similar vibe as in the beginning, I think it would have gone down significantly better AND worked better for the challenge. As it was, you made me love it, then turned me off, and then quit, leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I can tolerate a section that I don't care for if it's bookended by parts that I like. I dunno if that helps or not. Sorry!! For what it's worth I really enjoyed your Round 0 entry! In a less strong round that would have made my top 10 for sure!
"That organ is piercing my soul" - Adam Adamant
"Lo-fi doom rock isn't my bag at all. I'm trying to imagine this with professional production and played/sung perfectly and I don't think I'd like it much more." - furrypedro
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Chumpy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:28 pm
Once again Ryan and I are presenting our reviews in podcast form, because that's what all the cool kids are doing.

Here is how you can jibe with this: Tell us things: feedback@twojerksonevote.com.

If your podcast player supports chapters, you should use those instead, but if not, here are where the chapters lie: Nur Ein!
Wow!!

With the upcoming NUR EIN - I just listened to my last years entries which I had forgotten and I found this post!! Where some whiney little cunt seemed to imply that I was misoginyst for calling Fraser Anning and Pauline Hanson racsict cunts?!?! WTF?!?!?

Sorry - let me step back. Somebody on the podcast this said they didn’t like the word “cunt”. I get that. But if you are going to go out of your way to review - you probably should consider context (and this is why I prefer to not review - just give bald, uninformed opinion).

Anyway - Fraser Anning and Pauline Hanson are racists cunts. They are the focus of my song. I called them out as racist cunts - because that is what they are. And I don’t like racist cunts. I know that “cunt” is associated with vagina. But I wasn’t being sexist. I was expressing hate, because “cunt” is a word that expresses hate where I live. I know its not right. But it is the best word. There is no better word. It is sad that that the best way to express that I hate someone is to call them a word associated with a vagina - but - that is where our language is and I used it. It truly is sad that I could call Fraser Anning a “dickhead” or a “cock” - but “cunt” just works better in the context. I agrees it is sad - but it just does.

But, the important thing here is that we must alway call out racist cunts when we see them. Because if you don’t - they may end up becoming your President.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

But, the important thing here is that we must always call out racist cunts when we see them. Because if you don’t - they may end up becoming your President.
That hurts deep.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:38 am
With the upcoming NUR EIN - I just listened to my last years entries which I had forgotten and I found this post!! Where some whiney little cunt seemed to imply that I was misoginyst for calling Fraser Anning and Pauline Hanson racsict cunts?!?! WTF?!?!?
I know right!? What a bunch of virtue signaling, SJW cucks.
Caravan Ray wrote:
But I wasn’t being sexist. I was expressing hate, because “cunt” is a word that expresses hate where I live. I know its not right. But it is the best word. There is no better word.
Jeeze, what is this world coming to when a straight white man gets called out for calling a woman a cunt! It's like they didn't even get that you were condemning racism!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I just see "Toowoomba" as your location and not a thought is given to the word cunt.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Chumpy wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:13 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
I know right!? What a bunch of virtue signaling, SJW cucks.
Caravan Ray wrote:
But I wasn’t being sexist. I was expressing hate, because “cunt” is a word that expresses hate where I live. I know its not right. But it is the best word. There is no better word.
Jeeze, what is this world coming to when a straight white man gets called out for calling a woman a cunt! It's like they didn't even get that you were condemning racism!
For context, Pauline Hanson is absolutely one of the worst people in the world. I wouldn’t think twice about calling her every bad word under the sun. Back in 1996, when she first ran for parliament and started poisoning the Australian public with her hate, even my quiet, reserved, politically private parents went to their first ever protest.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

The obvious solution here is I just need to re-write the song as “Fraser Anning the Racist Cunt and his Equally Unpleasant But Gender Non-Specific Colleague Senator Hanson”.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Wow, Ray. I can't believe you just reserved using the word "cunt" for one person but not another purely on the basis of their gender. You sexist cunt
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

furrypedro wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:38 am
Wow, Ray. I can't believe you just reserved using the word "cunt" for one person but not another purely on the basis of their gender. You sexist cunt
You are right. I will post a photograph of myself with "sexist cunt" written in felt pen on my forehead.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Anyway - thank you so much for this thread.

I have learnt that I am allowed to call Fraser Anning a racist cunt
But I am not allowed to call Pauline Hanson a racist cunt

Even though they are both racist cunts

And this is apparently a thing...because people who live in a country with a racist cunt a a President - says it is?

Can I make a suggestion?

How about you call racist cunts racist cunts?
This is how your country has gotten to where it is. Stop being so fucking pissweak.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:04 am
furrypedro wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:38 am
You are right. I will post a photograph of myself with "sexist cunt" written in felt pen on my forehead.
That's the way a true gentleman deals with anything.