There can be only one.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Nur Ein XIV Round Three "Color Me _____"

Post by Niveous »

"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

There has been a switcheroo.

There's a new version of the Ujn track up.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jerkatorium »

Special thanks to everyone who posted their lyrics (not mandatory, but appreciated). Extra-special thanks to everyone who also listed where their sample came from. The judges get less than two days to listen and rank the songs, so it helps a lot.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Rumor has it, there's a Mandibles shadow entry.
Has it found its way to the right place yet?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

They should post it in the Ohne Ruhm thread.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

I'm not sure how many people took my challenges seriously, but I hear a lot of evolution and variety! This is a fantastic batch of songs. Good luck, everyone!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

BoffoYux wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:31 pm
Info for Round 3 LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqPpIdgBLDg
what time is this starting again?
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

9 pm Eastern so in about 1:20
facebook.com/ivegband
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

btw love the cover art for this round
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

....Your job is to find one or more that you like and use samples from it in your original song. You can chop them, pitch them, edit them as much or as little as you like. Samples can come from famous songs that we've all heard,........ but to re-contextualize the sample in your original work. ......
Note to Judges for Faster Jackalope. We used vocal samples from existing songs. Jenny, Norah, and St. Vincent were all transposed. Solange was chopped up so that only the notes in our key remained. All of the samples were tweaked to fit into our 140 bpm. I got into the wav forms and made the stresses and accents hit the beat where I wanted them to.

great fight everyone! Lots of great songs!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I'm cleaning my office this morning, so I thought I would write some reviews. I appreciate all of the time and energy everyone put into their songs, but obviously I'm not going to like everything. Don't be mad.

Abominominous - I don't personally like this, but if I were someone who liked this, I would like it A LOT! The lyrics are great. The sample adds nothing - I would replace with a real person as soon as possible. It works - it's just unnecessary. Brevity helps me like this more.

Berkeley Social Scene - I love Chvrches, FWIW. What can I say about this song - it's fine. I like the lyrics all right. The sample doesn't get in the way but it doesn't add a whole lot. I wish Ken would sing the whole thing up a step - it's kind of a flat delivery in this key, but I'm sure the sample locked you in. It's an okay song - I'm not too turned on, though.

Faster Jackelope - This is like Mike and the Mechanics meets Missing Persons. I'm going to try the say nice things approach - there's some really good playing on this track. I appreciate your musicianship. The song itself is not very interesting to me, especially the lyrics. And I kind of feel like you overdid it with the samples.

Frankie Big Face - I usually don't talk about my own songs. I have hated this song for three days. Today, it didn't bother me as much and I kind of liked it. It still sounds to me like it's from the worst musical I'd never want to see.

Grumpy Mike - This song is annoying right out of the gate. The sample was probably annoying in its original context but it's super annoying here. The tempo makes it difficult for me to dig this - it's so slow. I don't know. I think I would like the vocal better if it were drenched in reverb. In fact, the whole song should be wet. That's what I think. This is a crappy review.

Max Bombast - This took work. Was it worth it? You had to really mold that Judy Collins to get it to work in that chorus (which it does). It's shoehorning, but in the best possible way. Props for the The Wire sample and for making the sample a part of the song and lyrics - I think that is the best approach to this challenge. Not my thing, but well done.

Merisan - Lots of triplet feel stuff this week. This is pretty. Nice harmonies. The samples work well and sound like integral parts of the chorus, so kudos on that. I like the spare instrumentation. This is quite lovely - I could totally hear this at Starbucks. ;) Good job, both of you!

Nick Soma - I think this song has a lot of potential. It's kind of haunting with the samples, but... I don't think the drums work very well. The piano is good, but I'd mix it in and out a bit. Basically, I think the arrangement needs work. But otherwise, cool song, nice lyrics.

Rachael Layne - This is creepy and weird. Like Abominominous, I'm sure there are people who would love this to pieces (pun intended), but it's not for me. It's a convincing performance, however, so good job. It made me uncomfortable so I think you probably achieved something there.

Rain Watt - Yay! Pop music. This is really good. I don't know what the sample is. (Is it the "I missed out"?) Love the slow part and rebuild. This is great. I like it a lot and would want to hear this again. It sounds like a song I would Shazam and go looking for more. (And I almost always only use Shazam to find out what I *don't* like!)

The Sunday Colors - Oh. Oh no. Your pleasant little song (I mean that positively) was just ruined by that sample. I have no probably with "Easy" (I have enjoyed Faith no More's cover many times), but that voice and your voice don't go together very well (yours is nicer). I would just get rid of that and sing it as a quote from the song. Nice song.

Third Cat - I applaud your initiative and that is a cool key change into the chorus. But I feel like this isn't quite gelling in terms of the sample and your recorded bits. I appreciate the way you used it, though. I'm not sure about that eyeball stuff. Perhaps you and Rachael Layne should consider a collaboration?

UJN Hunter - I like that opening line. Good vocal performance (at times, especially). Dramatic!

Vowl Sounds - Haha. Haven't heard that Robyn Hitchcock song in a really long time. Your voice sounds a little Sandy Denny-ish on this one. Or maybe a slightly less edgy Joni Mitchell. I like that the sample is built into the song (as I said earlier to someone). That's the best way to do this, I think. So good job. The Depeche Mode cameo is cute but probably unnecessary. Clever concept, good execution.

Agony Sauce - Good song. The sample fits and doesn't detract. Nice solo, Mo. It's a good one. Relaxed, like you know you have immunity. ;)

Some really good ones. Good luck, everyone!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

frankie big face wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:48 am
Vowl Sounds - Haha. Haven't heard that Robyn Hitchcock song in a really long time. Your voice sounds a little Sandy Denny-ish on this one. Or maybe a slightly less edgy Joni Mitchell. I like that the sample is built into the song (as I said earlier to someone). That's the best way to do this, I think. So good job. The Depeche Mode cameo is cute but probably unnecessary. Clever concept, good execution.
Ha, I haven't actually heard that Robyn Hitchcock song ever! Owl suggested it and I only listened to the first 10 seconds while sampling from it. I should probably listen to the rest, really. Thanks for the kind words! The Depeche Mode sample probably isn't necessary but it made me laugh when I first stuck it in there so hopefully it'll raise a few smiles.

Working on my reviews... lots of weird details in this round!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

vowlvom wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 am
I should probably listen to the rest, really.
The whole album is good. From a time when I used to listen to every record that came out. (I worked in a record store - it's like Amazon but you actually have to go there.) Had that album on CASSETTE! Must have been a store promo...
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

frankie big face wrote:
The sample was probably annoying in its original context
The original context being "a website where people record themselves making songs but have no instruments" so... accurate observation. Just be glad I didn't borrow any lyrics...
frankie big face wrote:
The tempo makes it difficult for me to dig this - it's so slow. I don't know.
I know I know I know I know I know if I were listening to your hi-hat all week, I'd find mine exceptionally slow, too. Fair criticism. When the Spirit calls me to be downtempo, I must abide, regardless of competing against a bunch of Ritalin-junkies. I'm due for an uptempo song next round.
frankie big face wrote:
I think I would like the vocal better if it were drenched in reverb. In fact, the whole song should be wet. That's what I think.
I laughed. You're the best, Frank. ♥️
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

This review:
Faster Jackelope - This is like Mike and the Mechanics meets Missing Persons. I'm going to try the say nice things approach - there's some really good playing on this track. I appreciate your musicianship. The song itself is not very interesting to me, especially the lyrics. And I kind of feel like you overdid it with the samples.
Reminds me of this review:
TWSA - I think you guys are super-awesome, but these lyrics are pretty weak. Beautiful chorus (the first one--maybe it wasn't a chorus, but it was between the verses). I'm going to have to call this one a rare miss for you guys. All the fancy stuff (you know, the musicianship) seems to be designed to cover up a less than stellar song. Nice "choral vocals." I hope you get through regardless because you guys write and record some pretty awesome stuff.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

frankie big face wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 am
vowlvom wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 am
I should probably listen to the rest, really.
The whole album is good. From a time when I used to listen to every record that came out. (I worked in a record store - it's like Amazon but you actually have to go there.) Had that album on CASSETTE! Must have been a store promo...
I went to see Robyn Hitchcock live last month, and I've been on a heavy RH kick ever since <3 He was soooo good and so charming and weird with his stage banter, and Emma Swift came out and sang harmony on a few songs, and it was amazing. I had been vaguely aware of him for a long time but didn't really get too interested till the latest album came out and then was kicking myself for not digging into the catalog sooner.

Vom I can't believe you never listened to the rest of that song!

There's a Neko Case cover of it, too, but I prefer the original even though I love Neko to pieces.

re Sandy Denny: thanks, and there's sort of a weird Venn diagram here--the first part of the "bonny sang the morning thrush" lyrics in that drop-out verse are cribbed--errr... I mean "sampled"--from Martin Carthy's "Famous Flower of Serving Men"

(except that instead of listening to someone screaming while being burned alive in a bonfire, we are listening to Dave Gahan!)

"Famous Flower of Serving Men" has the exact same tune as the end of Fairport Convention's "Matty Groves" (w/Sandy Denny vox) (also about infidelity)

because both of them were apparently taken from a song called "Kate and the Cowhide" arranged in 9/8 by Hedy West. (haven't found a video of this though)

I'm not sure if Martin Carthy and Sandy Denny ever officially played in a band together but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk about 1960s British folk rock.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

owl wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 am
Vom I can't believe you never listened to the rest of that song!
If I never listen to it then ours is the definitive version! Or something.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

glennny wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am
This review:
Reminds me of this review:
TWSA - I think you guys are super-awesome, but these lyrics are pretty weak. Beautiful chorus (the first one--maybe it wasn't a chorus, but it was between the verses). I'm going to have to call this one a rare miss for you guys. All the fancy stuff (you know, the musicianship) seems to be designed to cover up a less than stellar song. Nice "choral vocals." I hope you get through regardless because you guys write and record some pretty awesome stuff.
It's a little creepy that you have that at your fingertips. I bet if you dig deeper, you'll find this is not the first time I compared you to Mike and the Mechanics. I don't know that for sure, I just know it's true. But yeah, you guys can play and we should focus on the nice things I said! :D
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

owl wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 am
Thank you for coming to my TED talk about 1960s British folk rock.
Haha. Like all TED talks, I don't have time to actually listen to all of this, but I'm sure you are right.

I've never seen RH live and in person, but I've seen him perform on TV and he is always great. Very entertaining and a clever wit.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

vowlvom wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am
If I never listen to it then ours is the definitive version! Or something.
it's OK, i've never listened to that whole Depeche Mode song
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

grumpymike wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:28 am
frankie big face wrote:
The tempo makes it difficult for me to dig this - it's so slow. I don't know.
I know I know I know I know I know if I were listening to your hi-hat all week, I'd find mine exceptionally slow, too. Fair criticism. When the Spirit calls me to be downtempo, I must abide, regardless of competing against a bunch of Ritalin-junkies. I'm due for an uptempo song next round.
I see what you did there. Yeah, I'm into electronic sounds right now - trying on a new hat. But my tempo itself is also pretty slow.

What I should have said more clearly is that I think the sample forces you into that tempo. If the song were a little faster, it would work, but then the sample would need to be adjusted. Or thrown on the fire...that would work too! :D
glennny
Jump

Post by glennny »

Frank said:
It's a little creepy that you have that at your fingertips. I bet if you dig deeper, you'll find this is not the first time I compared you to Mike and the Mechanics. I don't know that for sure, I just know it's true. But yeah, you guys can play and we should focus on the nice things I said! :D
I don't have to dig, I remember. You did. You know how to rib a Genesis fan.
I'm hoping these judges feel like those judges ;)