Table for Dahmer (The Supper Club Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Table for Dahmer (The Supper Club Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

In which our hero joins the Dahmer Dinner Party and writes some reviews.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Table for Dahmer (The Supper Club Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Words and phrases that amount to a lyric thread: https://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11537
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Tron Air!!!!

That song is awesome! Somewhere between Eno/Cale and Passion Pit.
Sounds like Balance Lost and Frisbee collaboration. Bravo!!!

Hopefully, I'll get to reviewing the other songs, I was just blown away.....
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just added a song from Hot Pink Halo.
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

I will echo glennny on the Tron Air love, cool song. Inventive and infectious. Hardmonica's song is another standout. Really sweet arrangement. Lovely backing vocals.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Just thought I’d pop my old head in to say that Tron Air was great and maybe there should have been more Breakfast Club references.

I mean, really.

Miss you all - especially the ones I’ve never met, and the ones who flew away...

Hugs
gizo
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Been awhile since I've been here...
BSS - liked the flute, well done, but the song itself sort of left me cold.

Darkanon Vita - Reminded me of Frankie Smith, made me hungry.

Evil Grin - Wine is not gross, but golf is indeed boring, don't like ukes, lyrics are entertaining.

Hardmonica - I love these kinds of instrumentals, lyrics aren't grabbing me, but anything with cha-chas makes me happy.

Hot Pink Halo - Chord progression bores me, lyrics bore me, sorry.

Ken's Super Duper Band - Good sense of melody, makes me think of all those 70s singer-songwriters in style.

Micah Sommersmith - Nice shanty! Love the you're still alive line. Great take.

Miscellaneous Owl - Great vocal performance, good melancholy mood, lyrically great, yay.

Pigfarmer - I mean it wasn't bad, but my attention was lost.

Roy Castle - You remind me of Morrissey in a good way.

The Sheeple's Choir - Your band name made me chuckle. I didn't like the song.

Sockpuppet - Love the chord progression, melody was good but didn't really grab me too much.

Third Cat - Great instrumental. But, uh, doesn't fit the theme.

Tron Air - The college radio hit of the fight, I'm not sure what it reminds me of but I'd have played it during my on-air DJ days.

Vom Vorton - Simple, sounds good, catchy, works for me!
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I thought this was a really strong fight.

Darkanon Viva: Funky stuff, reminiscent of Sugarhill Gang and Newcleus. I like the tight guitar with a bit of wah wah and the lyrical flow is good in a super old-school way. I wish the drums were a bit beefier, I think an old soul break or something would sound amazing instead of the out-of-the-box loop but it's a minor gripe. Generally I enjoyed this.

Hardmonica: Really lush mix you've got here. I'm not usually a fan of this type of vocal but actually it bothered me a lot less than I thought it would, and the backing vocals are great. The whole band sounds good, the atmosphere even sounds smokey as you say the word "smoke". Understated, but classy and professional. Cha-cha-chaaaaa...

Ken's Super (Supper, surely?) Duper Band and/or Stuff: You have a phonograph?! I feel obliged to give this extra kudos for meeting the optional challenge, and while everything about it is solid, singing, structure, playing, lyrics, etc. unfortunately it didn't really do anything for me. The only parts that elicited an emotional response was the aforementioned use of "phonograph" and the ending which gave me a chuckle.

Roy Castle: From the opening few seconds I immediately became sceptical that this was going to entertain me until you sang "hold me down" in such an incredibly Morrissey-esque way, and by the time the guitar and drums kicked in I was on board. I like all the guitary jangles and shimmers. The drums have a satisfyingly tight shuffle and the bass underpins it all in a mostly unobtrusive way, occasionally popping up for a little flourish which is cool. All in all this is pretty smartly done, nice recording, smooth style. The fade out feels a little arbitrary but it's no biggie.

Evil Grin: It's difficult to know what to say about this one. Uke songs mostly benefit from being short and sweet, and this one isn't very sweet and over 3 minutes is probably too long considering nothing really happens. Backing vocals were solid.

BSS: There's a bunch of stuff I dig about this track, it's well executed and there's plenty of interesting stuff going on arrangement-wise and with the little rhythmic stutters. Unfortunately it suffers from a recurring BSS problem which is that it's so slow. I'm sure your metronome can go higher than 100bpm, and until it does my enjoyment of your stuff will be limited due to the fact that plodding doesn't really do it for me. The other piece of bad news is I've structured this review very badly, and by putting all my compliments first I've failed to complete the compliment sandwich, so now you're just left with shit on toast (or jam on charcoal depending on how you look at it). So, to fix that...I was highly impressed by Glennny's restraint at refraining from ineffective bluesy widdling, that certainly elevated this track, the harmonies were tight, and the clarinet solo was cool in a kind of Englishman in New York type way.

Misc Owl: It took a couple of listens for the lyrics to sink in, but it was definitely worth it, they're probably the best of the fight. As usual there's a few really good lines, "coins from their eyes" and "waiting for cod" amongst others. It's a nice song too, but I'd actually really like to hear a version with a bit of production, like an empty room reverby kind of feel and something like a cello to give a bit of colour. But obviously, half a point for the half-live recording.

The Sheeple's Choir: This is a cute tune. The feeling of detachment between the verses and the choruses makes the momentum seep away a lot. The audience reaction makes me feel like I should be laughing at this but the recording makes it hard to hear what you're singing and I couldn't find the lyrics in the lyric thread. Any chance you could post em?

...I did listen to all these songs before writing these reviews, but I'm starting to get hearing-the-title fatigue by this point...

Sockpuppet: All this needs now is a TV show for it to be the theme song to. Is Ted Danson busy? Pleasant enough.

Third Cat: I had forgotten you said this was instrumental when I first listened to it, there was initially a brief pang of disappointment quickly replaced by intrigue at where you'd take it. By the end my disappointment was that it didn't go on longer. It has a lovely slow build, it takes it's time without being boring and has a great mix of subtly different elements all complementing each other. By the 2.40 minute mark it really feels as if it's ready to step up to the next gear and then it ends which is a real shame. I'd have loved to hear you break out a 6 minute mini rave in the style of Tycho or something. As it is it's a really nice little piece which left me wanting more, and that's probably the best criticism a person can give to a piece of music.

Hot Pink Halo: This isn't bad, the overall effect is fairly pleasant and I like a bit of jangly guitar. Something bugs me about a couple of the melodies (specifically in the pre-chorus and the start of the chorus) where you set up a good line, I kind of expect it to go one way, and then it goes a completely different way. Now usually I'd say doing the unexpected thing is good, but in these instances there's something unsatisfying about the direction of the melodies. Maybe after a few more listens I'll get used to it.

Micah Sommersmith: This one was highly entertaining. Good singing helps along the melody and thankfully makes all the words audible, which is super important as these lyrics are hilarious. Any song with the phrase "the squirts" is a winner in my book, but there are plenty of other irreverent and wonderfully dark lines in there that kept me listening intently. Nice job. And good accordioning.

Vom Vorton: Our first fight together! Time for you to find out what I REALLY think. Well, I really liked this. The drums sound cheap at first, but they've got a really satisfying timbre to them. The guitar sounds really nice too. I once dreamt of Explosions in the Sky, they didn't want to talk to me so I was all like "fuck you guys, The Appleseed Cast are better than you anyway". Moving on, there are a couple of moments when it feels like you're trying to fit too many syllables into the line, but for the most part the lyrics are tops, and while I got fucking tired of hearing the title during this fight (a common problem) the way you deliver it at the end of the chorus feels just right. It conjures imagery unique in this fight and I'm grateful for your different perspective.

Pigfarmer Jr feat. Nick Davies: Of all the live songs here I'd put this one near the top, possibly just behind Micah. It's another one where I'd like to hear you give it the full band treatment but it's still got enough in it to remind me of Evan Dando on a fairly good day. I did enjoy the interludes a lot, I miss quizzing but it warms my heart to know people on the other side of the world are making the same dumb mistakes I made, and your enthusiasm when saying "Alcatraz!" made me giggle.

Tron Air: This is indeed me and Frisbee, who have finally settled on a name after years of collaboration. It's also got a cameo by the missus. Not much else to say except that I'm grateful to Friz for agreeing to collab again, and I'm grateful for all the kind comments we've received above, this was unexpected.
bartok2112
A New Player
Instruments: Saxophone, Keyboards
Recording Method: Sonar 8
Submitting as: Cannibal Parrot, Berkeley Social Scene (during the summers)

Post by bartok2112 »

"BSS - liked the flute, well done"

"and the clarinet solo was cool in a kind of Englishman in New York type way."

Thanks for the compliments Æpplês&vØdkã and furrypedro . It was actually a soprano saxophone.

- Paul
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

furrypedro wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 am
I thought this was a really strong fight.
Hot Pink Halo: This isn't bad, the overall effect is fairly pleasant and I like a bit of jangly guitar. Something bugs me about a couple of the melodies (specifically in the pre-chorus and the start of the chorus) where you set up a good line, I kind of expect it to go one way, and then it goes a completely different way. Now usually I'd say doing the unexpected thing is good, but in these instances there's something unsatisfying about the direction of the melodies. Maybe after a few more listens I'll get used to it.
Thanks for listening and giving feedback. This is my second ever song and my first ever songfight (with a little help), so no doubt I have a lot to learn!
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

bartok2112 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 am
"BSS - liked the flute, well done"

"and the clarinet solo was cool in a kind of Englishman in New York type way."

Thanks for the compliments Æpplês&vØdkã and furrypedro . It was actually a soprano saxophone.

- Paul
I mean...the dimensions are similar and it has a reed :P
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 am
Vom Vorton - Simple, sounds good, catchy, works for me!
furrypedro wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 am
Vom Vorton: Our first fight together! Time for you to find out what I REALLY think. Well, I really liked this. The drums sound cheap at first, but they've got a really satisfying timbre to them. The guitar sounds really nice too. I once dreamt of Explosions in the Sky, they didn't want to talk to me so I was all like "fuck you guys, The Appleseed Cast are better than you anyway". Moving on, there are a couple of moments when it feels like you're trying to fit too many syllables into the line, but for the most part the lyrics are tops, and while I got fucking tired of hearing the title during this fight (a common problem) the way you deliver it at the end of the chorus feels just right. It conjures imagery unique in this fight and I'm grateful for your different perspective.
Cheers! The drums are my underused Volca Beats, I set that thing going and recorded the guitar and vocals live at the same time, which is a rare experiment for me and one I find slightly nerve-wracking. I don't like Explosions in the Sky very much, but it's a good band name! I'm pleased with the lyrics on this one (although the 'scapegoat' line definitely needs an edit), the music was a little rushed and I'm sure the vocals could have been better if I'd tried a few more takes, but I enjoyed leaving my comfort zone a little.

Agreed that this is a really strong fight, not a bad song in it. Working on my reviews, think I need one more listen though.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

crumpart wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 am
Thanks for listening and giving feedback. This is my second ever song and my first ever songfight (with a little help), so no doubt I have a lot to learn!
I applaud your courage for submitting so early in your songwriting career. Keep at it and you'll be churning out hits before you know it, I'm sure!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

i want to write reviews but i'm in too much pain right now but hey this fight was really good

since the live recording's a bit muddled here's a more studio-like recording of my song (it is less about supper clubs and more about songfight and what it means to me btw).
sockpuppet-tsc-studio.mp3
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
all i rerecorded for this is vocals and guitar. i had made the backing track (piano/drums/bass) the morning of the show, half of it in my hotel room and half on owl's couch (thanks owl). portable MIDI keyboards are great
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Really strong fight! I was worried that the live challenge would result in lots of shaky one-take recordings but in the end there was only one of those, and it was me. Excellent work, you talented bunch.

Berkeley Social Scene - enjoyed this, it avoids most of the pitfalls that can sink BSS songs for me and there's some fun new stuff in there too (soprano sax solo!). Good vocal performance(s), interesting instrumentation, a solid track overall. Would probably be a vote most weeks but I like every song in this fight and I'm not really sure how to handle that.

Darkanon Viva - witty lyrics, fun performance, and rapping helps you stand out from the pack. I wish the vocal was a bit punchier or something, I guess, the lyrics are delivered well but they don't always hit like they should I guess? I'm not sure, but I had fun listening to this one a bunch of times so not much to critique!

Evil Grin - more good lyrics, I always like an unexpected slice of profanity in an otherwise gentle song! Lead acoustic guitar is a good addition, backing vocals sound good although could maybe be a bit tighter with the lead vocal, or maybe it's that they're so obviously recorded with different microphones - there's an appealing lo-fi fuzz to the lead vocal, backing vocals are crystal clear - that stops them from gelling like they should. Although either way this has a nice semi-live vibe that fits the optional challenge well so I'm not complaining. Much.

Hardmonica - excellent stuff, substantially different from your previous entry but just as good! My only real critique is that the vocal EQing, while sounding good most of the time, really exaggerates the sibilance in some places which grates a little. But everything else is great, one of my favourites.

Hot Pink Halo - really like the music, the big fuzzy chords remind me of the Ramones more low-key stuff (Danny Says, etc) which I enjoy very much. Good lyrics too, some nicely specific details. Vocal melody stops this one from being top-tier for this fight though, it sounds a little first-drafty and like a few more takes to really figure it out would maybe have helped - the melody doesn't quite click into place like maybe it should and the vocal delivery lacks a little confidence. Although since you've said above that this is only your second song, it's super impressive and I'm sure the confident vocals will come in time!

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - interesting that Pete compared the Pigfarmer Jr song to Evan Dando because I got Dando vibes from this one. The lyrics feel a little uninspired but the melody is good and your voice sounds great live! Ending makes me grin, "I MADE IT UP!"

Micah Sommersmith - I can't make out all of the lyrics but everything I can hear is solid gold, I hope you do a "studio" version of this (with guest harmonies intact if possible!) because it's extremely well-written. It's impressive hearing the accordion / vocal done live, too! Worthy winner of the live fight and I suspect you'll do very well in the voting this time too.

miscellaneous owl - more extremely strong writing! Glad you re-recorded as I think the lyrics are great on this and I'm happy to be able to hear every line clearly. The end line is somehow both cheeky and poignant, and you've got the balance between guitar and voice just right.

Pigfarmer Jr feat. Nick Davies - the Kevin parts are great and clearly a real crowd-pleaser! The rest of the song is fine, I kinda wish the Dahmer's Dinner Party line in the chorus didn't repeat I guess but that's a minor complaint. Your voice also sounds great live, and another ending that made me smile (KEVIN! KEVIN! KEVIN!)

Roy Castle - is that your real name or is your band named after the host of Record Breakers? As mentioned by others this is Extremely Morrissey, which is fine I guess but I've soured on Morrissey to such an extent in recent years (largely because of his politics rather than his music, but thinking about him in general brings Negative Vibes) that it colours my opinion on this song slightly, and possibly unfairly. Some really good guitar work and a nice lyrical turn of phrase, I guess I just wish it wasn't so indebted to somebody else's established style.

The Sheeple's Choir - this one suffers from the live recording a bit, I can't fully make out what's going on, although it sounds like good fun. I had the a cappella bit after the chorus stuck in my head yesterday even though I don't know what you're singing or generally what's going on!

Sockpuppet - definitely has some smooth supper-club vibes! The "be who we want to be" bit reminds me a little of 'Always on My Mind' melodically, in a good way. A good song, but another one that suffers from extremely strong competition I think. Haven't gotten around to checking out the re-recorded version yet, will hopefully remember to do so later!

Third Cat - I like this a lot, it's a really strong composition, clear mix, and I like all of the sonic elements you've pulled together. It doesn't particularly say "Supper Club" to me, I guess (although I don't dispute that the title inspired the track), but on a pure enjoyment level this ticks all the boxes.

Tron Air - it took me a few listens to click with this one, I think in large part because it needs to be turned down to half the volume of everything else, I spent the first couple of listens just thinking "wow this is a loud one" rather than enjoying the content (I mostly listen to these while driving so riding the volume isn't always my top priority). As always I'm a big BL / Frisbee fan and the way you trade off lyrics is really fun, I just wish this mix had a bit more space in it and that it wasn't such a sonic punch in the face, maybe.

Vom Vorton - as I said above, pleased with the lyrics on this one, music / performance not so much - stripped-down live recording is out of my comfort zone but was a fun experiment. First complete thing I've written solo for a few months, hopefully it'll kickstart my creative brain a little.

Not really sure how to allocate my votes this time, it's all so good. Definitely going for Micah, owl and Hardmonica, but I like every song here so I might have to throw around a few more votes as well.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats to Tron Air!
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

Congrats Tron Air! One of my favorites since I've been around here.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Ahhh I was so close. One measly vote...
Congrats Tron Air!