Ssssssssssssssssibilance

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Ssssssssssssssssibilance

Post by crumpart »

Anyone got any tips on dealing with sibilance in recording?

I tried some mic angle techniques in my I Used To Know You Better entry, coupled with de-essing in Logic, but I have the added physical restrictions of giant gaps between my top AND bottom front teeth.

Halp?
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Ssssssssssssssssibilance

Post by ujnhunter »

Try to record only sibilance... No singing, just Sssssss into the microphone... then check what frequencies they are appearing at... and use that information to de-ess your recordings?

Edit: Different mics and different voices will pick up their own silibance in different frequencies, so if you have a different singer or different microphone, you'd need to use that information for each one.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

ujnhunter wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:27 am
Try to record only sibilance... No singing, just Sssssss into the microphone... then check what frequencies they are appearing at... and use that information to de-ess your recordings?

Edit: Different mics and different voices will pick up their own silibance in different frequencies, so if you have a different singer or different microphone, you'd need to use that information for each one.
That's an excellent idea. Thanks!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

I find dynamic mics help to minimize sibilance. Cheap condenser mics makes it worse. There isn't much you can do if your voice is sibilant. Just keep trying different mics and positions until you find a way to minimize it.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Also not totally sibilance related... but make sure you're using a pop filter that is maybe an inch away from the microphone (this is mostly for plosives) and also try positioning your mic slightly higher than where you are singing into... i.e. above your mouth, not directly in front of your mouth... that may help too.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

ujnhunter wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 am
Also not totally sibilance related... but make sure you're using a pop filter that is maybe an inch away from the microphone (this is mostly for plosives) and also try positioning your mic slightly higher than where you are singing into... i.e. above your mouth, not directly in front of your mouth... that may help too.
Definitely using a pop filter. Doesn't help with the SSSSSs.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

If I'm having issues with sibilants/plosives, I'll try backing up off the mic a bit and/or singing at right angles to the front of the microphone, and that seems to help a lot.

There is a trick I've seen used with rubberbanding a pencil to the front of a mic, but I don't think that would work so well if you're recording with an SM57 :) (which I would think is a pretty decent mic for reducing these issues, although this guy suggests you can replace the transformer to improve it if you're into DIY. Personally, I'd try some other solutions first!)

I don't know what kind of options the Logic de-esser exposes for you to work with, but as ujnhunter suggests, you might want to play around with adjusting the parameters and/or manually EQ'ing. If you are extremely patient, you can also manually automate down the volume of the sibilants. This sounds torturous, but ultimately most tracks are only a few minutes long, so I guess it would be doable (I've never done it this way though).

I have a couple of free de-esser VSTs installed that seem pretty good, Dead Duck De-Esser and Airwindows. I used the Airwindows one on my submission for "I Used to Know You Better"... the recording sounded fine dry, I didn't want to go back and re-record, but the sibilance started to bother me after I applied some compression.

Don't overdo it or you'll give yourself a lisp!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

owl wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:12 am
If I'm having issues with sibilants/plosives, I'll try backing up off the mic a bit and/or singing at right angles to the front of the microphone, and that seems to help a lot.
Thanks for all this advice! I think I definitely did a better job with the new mic than I have previously, but because it’s something I’m aware of (and paranoid about), it’s all I can hear now. I backed off and sang over the mic this time, and that seemed to work pretty well. I’ll try singing side on next time. Or maybe write a song with no Ss, Ts or Xs...
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Make sure you're using Logic's new De-esser 2. It's better than the original.

And do feel free to post a file here for folks to mess around with.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

owl wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:12 am
...if you're recording with an SM57 :) (which I would think is a pretty decent mic for reducing these issues, although this guy suggests you can replace the transformer to improve it if you're into DIY. Personally, I'd try some other solutions first!)
Not to hijack/sidetrack the conversation, but I have all of these and would be happy to talk about all my different SM57s. Also, I highly recommend the PylePro PDMIC78 which sounds a lot like my transformer removed Shure Sm57 for cheap.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

ken wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:14 pm
Not to hijack/sidetrack the conversation, but I have all of these and would be happy to talk about all my different SM57s. Also, I highly recommend the PylePro PDMIC78 which sounds a lot like my transformer removed Shure Sm57 for cheap.
I'll bite... let's hear why you have all those different SM57s and if you think it makes a big difference...? (Though maybe you can start a new thread to avoid derailing this one.)
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

ken wrote:
I highly recommend the PylePro PDMIC78 which sounds a lot like my transformer removed Shure Sm57 for cheap.
Have you used it on many sound sources? Vox, acoustic, amps etc.,? I actually use a small diaphragm condenser for vocals and acoustic quite a bit. This would be an easy way to get a stereo pair if they are decent enough to use regularly. I guess I want a review with a bit more depth, if you have the time.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

As far as S's go... I've been lucky enough not to have too much trouble. With the little I do have, I typically, change mic placement and distance. Sometimes even changing the mic I use. I can't remember the last time it's been a problem, but I only record myself and I think I unconsciously changed how I sing to avoid the issues I was having in the past.

I like that sing the S and find the frequency idea.

ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:40 am
ken wrote:
I highly recommend the PylePro PDMIC78 which sounds a lot like my transformer removed Shure Sm57 for cheap.
Have you used it on many sound sources? Vox, acoustic, amps etc.,?
I've mostly used it for guitar amps and vocals. It sounds good on both. I'm fairly sure it doesn't have a transformer, so the level is kind of low. It will probably sound better than your small diaphragm condenser for vocals. I really like the sound of my vintage Shure Unidyne for acoustic guitars if you want something that will sound natural and fit into a mix. I used it exclusively for a while, but can't remember exactly when. (This mic is also amazing on snare drums!) It looks like Shure has reissued these mics and they cost about the same as a regular SM57: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone

Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Sorry, I can not help but think of this every time I encounter the word sibilance. Relax, its only 11 seconds long.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPVL45WkH84
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Great idea about the sss frequency too. And thanks, Ken, now I feel the need to get a couple of those mics. Look pretty cool though.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

ken wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:32 am
It will probably sound better than your small diaphragm condenser for vocals.
The link you linked goes to a pyle small diaphragm condenser mic. Are you saying this one is better than mine or is the link to the wrong mic?

ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Yes, so sorry. That is the wrong link. I meant to link you to their SM57 knock off: https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Han ... 005BSOVRY/