Better than living next to a golf course (DLiaQP Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Better than living next to a golf course (DLiaQP Reviews)

Post by ken »

where do you live?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

this is my 30th songfight song that i've done includin' collabs...
pretty crazy... but anyways listening to the fight right now... really diggin' 'bewells' entry...
i'll listen to it all the way through and give full reviews later...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
The Unstoppable Mr. Mint
A New Player

Post by The Unstoppable Mr. Mint »

This is Thin Master of The Unstoppable Mr. Mint; Silly Junket and I wrote a version of DLIAQP........I'd like to review my own song, if possible.

I'm not digging the vocals......we took a lot of takes, and this was the best that Silly Junket could give us. I should have done them myself. :roll:

My guitar solo could have been better. I'm digging my rhythm guitar though. This was my first entry for Song Fight, and SJ's second, I think.

Bah.
"Anything too stupid to be said is sung." -Voltaire
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

first tune in the player is Draft and whoa, what a tune! Nice work boys!
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

The BeWells:
Nice mood right off. Very chill, and it holds that vibe real well. Great singing too. Very nice tune..maybe a touch too long... A CONTENDER
LISTEN TO AGAIN? Yes
RECOMMEND? Yes

Charcoal:
Another chill, moody piece. Man, this week seemed to evoke this kinda vibe... this is ok. It's cool sounding, and creepy...and I like when it busts into the energy part... OK. Not beggin for a vote though.
LISTEN TO AGAIN: Probably.
RECOMMEND: maybe.

C.Layne:

New contender. I love it. cool groove, and that guitar part is great. Not much more to say, I like it. CONTENDER
LISTEN TO AGAIN: yes.
RECOMMEND? Yes.

Sparks:
I liked this right away. Cool follow up to C. Layne. The chorus seems a tad washed out... I like some of those weird buzzing saw-like tones... was the optional challenge this week "chill out?" This is good.
LISTEN TO AGAIN? Yeah.
RECOMMEND? Maybe.

Draft:

Sweet. I like this a ton. Great band you got on this one man. Definite CONTENDER. Great vocals... this is chill too, but in a totally different way.. I like the alternative-jazz vibe to it... kick ass recording too! Who are the players? (you can pm the answer if they are all secretive about their identities... or if they are REALLY secretive.. no pm!) Great job, so far the earner of my vote!
LISTEN TO AGAIN: oh yeah, sho-di-doo-wop-di do.
RECOMMEND? Yeah. Nice job, killer.

Farmentheroundtable:

This is ok. Nothing grabbing me and saying "no, vote for me!". Tight sounding, good groove. It's ok.
LISTEN TO AGAIN? probably not...
RECOMMEND? probably not.

Kamakura:

Mellow again... what is goin on around here?? I like the tone of your voice...it's almost at the bottom end breaking point, which gives it this depressive vibe... that's kinda cool.
LISTEN TO AGAIN? maybe... but probably not.
RECOMMEND? nah.

Max the cat:
Poor June:
R durand:
Special relatives:
Unstoppable mint:
Xtoykoriver god:

I'll have to finish these later... for those above who care, I'll try and get to these tonight, and I'll just edit this message and add them here...gotta head out...

OK. REviews finished:
Max the Cat:
Just when I was starting to peg you into a "style" (all your own mind you)... I usually really enjoy what you do... it seems like something different has happened lately, and I really have been diggin that. I really like this, it's raw, stripped down, your vocals sound great on it. The groove is great too. I call this a CONTENDER.
Listen again? Yes. This I really liked. It has something about it that just appeals to me.
Recommend? Yeah, check out more Max the Cat.

Poor June:

I like the recording. The vocal effect is overpowering. You remind me of Eddie Vedder on valium. Guitar seems out of tune a bit . Very strange style... a little hip hoppy element, this laid back .... ambience. You are quite the ambiance (thought I'd try different spellings out... ) guy. This is interesting, but pretty cluttered.
Listen again? No.
Recommend? no.

R Durand:
Nice sounding off the top, although I'm turned off by strummed guitar. I'm not really liking this song. It's too "back home redneck lightweight" sounding too me. That's a harsh description! Sorry... it's got a country vibe to it, a bluesy bar band vibe, but the whole thing lacks conviction, other than the nifty drum fill occasionally. Otherwise, it sounds totally unsure of it's self to me. It's not terrible, I'd say basically, it's ok. I really enjoyed the back up "ahhs", suddenly , at that point, the tune seemed to sound a little more legit. It's still ok.
Listen again? No.
Recommend? no.
Special Relatives:
Nice and creepy off the top... and twisty and demented. It's pretty neat, but I liked others better. Not much more to say about it.
Listen again? Probably.
Recommend? maybe after I hear more of their stuff.

Unstoppable Mint:

The mix is not great, and really neither is the song. I feellike I'm listening to someone's cassette recording done in the tub. But it isn't production that looses me. It's the heavy guitar with no other components ... it's a guy messing about and practicing. Nah, no vote for you...
Listen again? no.
REcommend? probably I'd recommend avoiding it.

xtokyoivergod
It's like an aural version of the "ring" (RINGU!) REcording sounds doesn't make a song... it can, but this one doesn't for me. IT's a soundtrack, or film effect or something, but as it is, doesn't do anything for me past the initial interesting sounds. It just get's ...non-interesting after a while.
Listen to again: no
recommend : no.

ok. Max, draft, C layne, bewells. Probably vote draft, cause I like jazz.
Last edited by Leaf on Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

Farmenther Roundtable - I like the chorus melody and guitar bit quite a lot. The vocals are a bit grating, but I don't mind them after a little while of listening. The lyrics and style make it pretty dismissable, in the end, if still decent.

Cri du Chat - My vocals are pretty dissatisfying, to me, and I'm sure the general complaint will be the lack of a hook. I had more fun with the half-spoken verse, though.

x-tokyo-river-god - Reminds me quite a lot of Die Eirs von Satan (sic) from Aenima, except without the ironic bent. I would probably give it an [okay] on somesongs just for keeping me amused for 1:30 of the 2:50 and for being something moderately unique, but it isn't relistenable. But no, would probably give it a [bad], there. Hope you had fun making it, though.

Max the Cat - Your production and performance skills (especially vocal) daunt me to no end, just so it's out there and known. It's so thoroughly... I don't know, Doobie Brothers, or Creedence, though. The song itself is good, but I really wouldn't hold it on a pedastal. I see you brought back the "Prep School" voice for a bit around 1:10. I expect to hear you reporting on network radio any day now. I'm conflicted, if you haven't already guessed. Nice lyrics. May possibly get my vote.

The Unstoppable Mr. Mint - Like a mediocre Rush song played loudly on cheap earbuds in a huge restroom. Entertaining in that respect (funny, I mean), but I don't think I'd give it two looks. Sorry, there.

C. Layne - Very nice from the start. I wasn't sure what to hope for before the vocals came in, but I wasn't disappointed. I'm vaguely reminded of some chilled out Trail of Dead with a touch of Floyd in the tempo and such. Worth a second listen, and I'll figure out the third and such from there. A candidate. But very long. Maybe I'll put it on the show, if in part to give myself a nice long bathroom break. :)

Draft - Holy shit. The song doesn't grab me, even falls a little limp, but the production and performance blows my mind. I almost feel like we've been hit with a ringer, if you understand.

The BeWells - This will get my vote, if I don't hear anything better. Beautiful and professional.

Charcoal - I'm wearing thin on the reviews now, so excuse me if they're getting shorter and shorter. Nice, but it all feels like atmosphere to me. Nothing really reaches out to grab my attention away from #songfight! as I listen.

Okay, I'm getting lazy. Before I mangle any more reviews with my indifference I'll just hit post.
Last edited by sparks on Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

my track this week was very self-indulgent. i wrote it after listening to the new dead meadow album, so it's very heavily influenced by that. i'm not really sure how well it'll stack up with people reviewing one song after another. i think the style lends to sitting in a dimly lit room with a drink and just zoning out. the almost 7 min length is part of my self-indulgence, so i'm going to apologize in advance for that.

reviews to come...
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

No regrets! I understood, I think, that it was less suited to the Song Fight listener in some ways. I liked it, though.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Leaf wrote:Draft:Who are the players?
Well Draft is essentially my buddy Chad playing the drums. The only difference this time around with the kit which was recorded at my place was that I now have the 1010 as you do. I recorded it with two 58s. One on the kick, one on the snare and a stereo XY carefully placed on the o/h straight down on the kit. 4 tracks - Drums. Me - bass, lyrics, vocals, guitar, arrangement, producer. A couple of awesome jazzer buddies of mine in town. Keys Dan Salvendy (formerly of Guh and various incarnations - playa). Sax Peter Smith of the Peter Smith Quartet. A regular on the jazz 91.1 station here in town. Full-timer. Still teaches though. But don't they all? :wink:

They both got given the tonetripper treatment with their parts. As you know trying to get jazzers to play something specific is like trying to get a kid to eat the second brussel sprout. They usually suffer from acute ADD syndrome in nailing down their parts. Once I was happy with something they'd do, they'd be like doing something completely different the next pass. Although Dan was a little more in tune with working the part through a little harder. In fact I had to eventually tell him to stop at a point as I knew he wasn't going to get it better. Most of the parts are one take all the way through. Only cutting and pasting on the sax line and vocals (cuz he only had about 15 minutes to listen and record it) and a little shifting of rhythms on the keys line.

Chad and I are monstrous MMW heads and got Dan the keyboard man to lay the ivories down on Sunday after our little experiment on Saturday. It all was a happy accident over the course of the last three days. Yesterday was a long frigging day that made today at work that much longer. Recorded sax, guitar, wrote lyrics, vocals and mixed. Needless to say I'd like to do some stuff over, but I'm very happy with the accident. Fun as a pig in shit!!

Thanks for the review. I'm gonna save 'em for my jazzer buddies to read. They've never been in SF. First timers. Nice way to christen the site for them. Cheers big ears!!!

I'm looking forward to the music in this fight. Reviews on Thursday. Working stiff.
MintyHandy
Mean Street
Instruments: None
Recording Method: None

Post by MintyHandy »

Kamakura

+++ First measure gave me a nice big hug
--- Wanted the second measure to be a chord change
--- Lyrics neither compelling nor clever in my opinion
+++ But sincerely delivered
/// With more bass, vocal enhancement, and a chordal descent in and out of minor keys, this could be wonderfully dramatic and creepy

Draft

+++ Great arrangement, really fun
+++ Good organ solos always get a thumbs-up from me
--- Could be any song for any contest
/// The devil might be in the details, but I can't find him

Poor June

--- Nothing to engage me musically
+++ Good lyrics and spoken (I hate to say "rapped") vocals
/// Wrap the same lyrics and delivery around a rhythm-heavy musical base and you might have a good song here

The BeWells

/// The devil went down to live in a quiet pond in Georgia
+++ Lovely, skilled guitar playing
--- Needs to get moving much sooner, could even start from bass entrance
+++ Does get there eventually
/// Is that a mandolin or dulcimer or what? I like it, whatever it is
/// My favorite part of songs like this is when the drums and uptempo arrangement kick in -- which never happens here. I was disappointed

Farmenther Roundtable

/// I hate it when the first lyric is the title, but that's just my personal hang-up
--- A bit too slow, a bit too loose
--- A few moments of guitar tragedy
+++ Well-produced
/// Forgettable, missing a spark to make it memorable or distinctive
/// I was all set for the big surprise, but it turned out to be a wet demise

Max the Cat

+++ Instant tension
+++ Broken by the guitar, ah, we're safe. Ooo ooo!
+++ Good lyrics, well delivered, with a bit of a Dave Matthews flair
+++ Smooth-sail-can't-fail fun
+++ Evil walks on velvet feet
--- Only missing a hook of some kind...
+++ ...but the kids in the VW busses will follow you everywhere
/// The devil's song is silence, but your song is loud and proud

Cri Du Chat

--- Too much reliance on lyrics for drama that isn't there
/// Not a big fan of this type of thing, sorry
/// Although it would play well at Neo (Chicago Goth bar just off Diversey)

The Unstoppable Mr. Mint

/// Starts off as frontrunner by virtue of name alone
--- Tape hiss with a song hidden inside
--- Can't get behind a man stuck in a well with a guitar and amp
/// Do your songs justice, production-wise: learn to record them properly

C. Layne

/// Wish it had started when the cymbals start crashing, better energy
--- Big plodding guitar and drums poorly contrast with thin weak vocal
+++ Strong drum arrangements, you or your drummer are very talented there
/// With a different overall arrangement and significantly faster tempo, the basic structure, drum arrangement, lyrics and vocal delivery might make a good song
/// As-is, couldn't stick with it, stopped it halfway through

x-tokyo-river-god

/// All of your submissions seem to be a creepy voice that gives me bad dreams
/// I want my mommy...to sing me an actual song

The Special Relatives

+++ Quirky little ambient noodle, produced very well
--- That's all it is
/// Twenty seconds of this would sit well between two full songs on an album

Charcoal

+++ Well, I can certainly visualize the pond, and it's creeping-my-shit-out
--- Your voice very much not creeping-my-shit-out
+++ But it's pleasant enough
--- Should this be a pleasant song?
/// 'Fess up -- you made this up as you recorded it, didn't you?

Ross Durant

/// You have a very distinct sound, based on your last two submissions
+++ Good song
--- In desperate need of a backing band
+++ Oh wait! There they are! My bad
--- Okay, in desperate need of a better backing band
+++ Great chorus, especially on the signature line
/// Overall I like it, but I don't love it, and I wish the backing band were tighter
/// They do take us all for fools, don't they?
+++ Aaaa aaaa aaaa!
/// When you belt the vocals, you need better control or a little voice treatment

Max the Cat, I give it all to you on this one, although Ross Durant was within spitting distance based on the quality of the song itself.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

bewells. Great performance, great recording, boring song. I like when the other things come in near the end, traces of piano and mandolin, but there's too little of them.

charcoal. That's me!

clayne. Listenable despite length; this is one of the few I'd want to hear again.

sparks. Nice beat, refreshingly electronic. You aren't allowed to start a song with "when I was a tiny boy, mom said to me," and the punishment for that is probably something unspeakable. So I won't speak on it any more.

draft. SONGFIGHT! PSYCHOLOGY STUDY NUMBER ONE. You get a bunch of pro jazz musicians and make a relatively clean recording of a jam session, is it enough to win? Most of the people listening can't do this, because anyone can play a sequencer but not anyone can play a saxophone, and my conjecture is that this fact has an influence on voting.

farmenther. Not bad, but not at all interesting-- this is dead-center average. Like, all the pieces of a song are here together, and none of them do anything surprising. You know, I am likely to keep this one around, because it's okay to listen to, so I hope you don't get offended.

kamakura. Too simple to stand out in this crowd; this is boy-and-guitar with a piano. And not really a boy because your voice has clearly changed already.

max the cat. SONGFIGHT! PSYCHOLOGY STUDY NUMBER TWO. A lot of people (not me) write reviews based on first listen to a song, often not even all-the-way-through if it's a style they don't like. It was clever of you to try to combat this tendency by submitting the same song twice, in the same file. I wonder if it helped. SONGFIGHT! PSYCHOLOGY STUDY NUMBER THREE. I didn't like this song much, and part of it may be because I saw before it began that it was almost seven minutes long, and it didn't seem to be going anywhere that would be interesting for seven minutes. Conjecture: the length of a submission influences reviews.

poor june. SONGFIGHT! PSYCHOLOGY STUDY NUMBER FOUR. This song is exactly the audio equivalent of a poor june message board post. Discuss.

ross durand. SONGFIGHT! PSYCHOLOGY STUDY NUMBER FIVE. After about forty seconds I had decided: "this sucks" because it was just a boy-and-guitar thing and not a very good one at that. And then it turned into the awesome song that it is. Thing is, I still have these mixed feelings about it because of that initial impression. Can I get over this complex of mine in time to give this song the vote it so muchly deserves? Stay tuned, kids.

special relatives. The Special Relatives are not allowed to give me any shit about careful guitar tuning. That is all. (Informative note: almost everyone else is allowed to do so.)

mr.mint. This song is below my threshold of hearing and so there is not much I can say. Here is some advice though, based on the level of your funding. Compressor and limiter: find free on internet and learn to apply. If you can afford a few hundred bucks, find Izotope Ozone and buy that and it will magically make your music way better. If you are between zero and few hundred in the spare-dollars department, quit smoking for a few weeks and save the money. More seriously, I'm sure if you listen to your song in conjunction with the rest of these entries, you will notice how much quieter it is, and there are folks here that will help if you so desire. (We'll need to know more about what your recording setup is, first.)

xtrg. You win the Nobel Prize for Creepiest Use of Computer Voice. Ever. Good atmosphere, goes well with my song, good thing that "X" and "C" are right next to each other in the alphabet. I mean, they're both in that lower left corner, that is.
The Unstoppable Mr. Mint
A New Player

Post by The Unstoppable Mr. Mint »

mr.mint. This song is below my threshold of hearing and so there is not much I can say. Here is some advice though, based on the level of your funding. Compressor and limiter: find free on internet and learn to apply. If you can afford a few hundred bucks, find Izotope Ozone and buy that and it will magically make your music way better. If you are between zero and few hundred in the spare-dollars department, quit smoking for a few weeks and save the money. More seriously, I'm sure if you listen to your song in conjunction with the rest of these entries, you will notice how much quieter it is, and there are folks here that will help if you so desire. (We'll need to know more about what your recording setup is, first.)
At the moment all we have to work with is 2 acoustic guitars, an electric guitar, a bass guitar, a banjo, 2 cheapie microphones and a couple cheap amps, and a Korg 4 track recorder. We are definitely looking for a way to clean up and improve the sound at the moment, but as our budget is near 0 dollars at the moment its hard. Tips are always welcome, we will have something much more listenable next week, going for a much cleaner sound, using a different amp model on the recorder and no effects.
"Anything too stupid to be said is sung." -Voltaire
tonetripper
Mean Street
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx

Post by tonetripper »

MintyHandy wrote:Draft
--- Could be any song for any contest
/// The devil might be in the details, but I can't find him
Actually we had the title in mind when we wrote the music for it. We specifically went jazzy cuz that is what the title implied to us (drummer and I - that are Draft). As far as the details go, tomorrow I'll post the lyrics. It is about a guy on the run from the stillness of the world and the metaporical lyrics are indicative of the feel of that. The music was suppose to embody those movements to the stillness. Thought that was apparent but obviously not. I certainly don't think this music would've worked with the other titles this week. This we are definitely in disagreement on.
bzl wrote:draft. SONGFIGHT! PSYCHOLOGY STUDY NUMBER ONE. You get a bunch of pro jazz musicians and make a relatively clean recording of a jam session, is it enough to win? Most of the people listening can't do this, because anyone can play a sequencer but not anyone can play a saxophone, and my conjecture is that this fact has an influence on voting.
This is unbelieveably untrue in it's conjecture :roll: . You think that I set out with my pals to produce something with pro jazz musicians to win Songfight?! Songfight is a vehicle to check out my skills with my gear, production and songwriting. It just happens that for this particular title I decided to incorporate some fine musicians in the recording. In the 20 something songs that I've contributed to SF I have never done this. To be honest with you I never expected them to come and play as they are pretty busy. For you to imply that we set out to influence voting with fine musicians is dumb and unnecessary. Next time keep your SF psychology to yourself and try reviewing the song for what it is and not for what it's trying to achieve in the community at large. I also think that you insult the community with such remarks. Production counts, but I'm sure there are better written songs in this fight and I'd also like to think that the community is a little deeper than that. I resent you saying so. And for the record it isn't a jam session. The beds were done with the feeling that more could've been added. I would've sequenced it myself, but I don't have the skills of being a good keyboardist, so I could've mystified the community and said I wrote all the notes in, but why? Especially when a good friend of mine was willing to come over and do it. He deserves the credit. Not the slag.

BTW thanks for calling me a pro. :wink:
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

bzl wrote:(production counts, and I wonder just how much)
tonetripper wrote:...Production counts...
Wait, what was the problem again?
tonetripper
Mean Street

Post by tonetripper »

The problem is that your review reads like we set out to turn the community to vote for us by incorporating pro musicians. That is flatly untrue. I set out to get my great musician friends out because that is what the song called for. I guess I don't really understand your need to review the song in this fashion. It makes us seem like we had an alterior motive. The song is king. All I did was try to make that true. For you to incite some stupid semantic war is another step in the wrong direction.
max the cat
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by max the cat »

[/quote]max the cat. SONGFIGHT! PSYCHOLOGY STUDY NUMBER TWO. A lot of people (not me) write reviews based on first listen to a song, often not even all-the-way-through if it's a style they don't like. It was clever of you to try to combat this tendency by submitting the same song twice, in the same file.

Two files? I get one. One of us needs a shrink
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

The Unstoppable Mr. Mint wrote:At the moment all we have to work with is 2 acoustic guitars, an electric guitar, a bass guitar, a banjo, 2 cheapie microphones and a couple cheap amps, and a Korg 4 track recorder.
Hm, best zero-budget idea is probably just to keep a close eye on levels: basically, at every stage, you want to be playing as loud as possible and recording as quietly as possible. See, once you have stuff on tape, if you need to make it louder, you'll also be adding more noise when you turn up the volume, so you want to be able to play back at a low level.

If the four-track is analog you can probably go way into the red with your recording levels and still have it sound fine.

Same thing applies to getting your song into your computer; try to play the tape loud and have the recording level on the computer low (but high enough, of course, to get good levels there). Also make sure you are connected to LINE IN and not MIC because the latter is usually much crappier, even though they look the same.

You might also consider tossing the four-track completely. Now, I still use mine occasionally, and I'm quite fond of it, but you can do way better by recording directly onto a computer, and there are plenty of cheap/free programs and effects and such that let you do so. Once you've tried 100-track recording you'll wonder how you ever managed with only four.

I guess this has gotten way off topic and there is plenty of stuff in the Help and How To section of this board (as well as many other internetwork places). Hope this is a little helpful though, and not wholly senseless.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

max the cat wrote:Two files? I get one. One of us needs a shrink
Yah, that's what my therapist keeps telling me. Your song is six minutes long. Halfway through it ends, and then starts over again and plays the entire thing a second time. Maybe something went wacky with my download, though. I understand that when I say something, I am frequently misunderstood, so hopefully this clarifies what I meant.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

"sparks. Nice beat, refreshingly electronic. You aren't allowed to start a song with "when I was a tiny boy, mom said to me," and the punishment for that is probably something unspeakable. So I won't speak on it any more. "

No, no, it's "mother" said to me. It's way more goth that way.

Pshaw! Melodrama is heavily underappreciated, I say!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Perhaps I'm late to this party, but my vote* is currently split between x-tokyo-river-god and The Special Relatives. Man, I was smiling on the train this morning. Thanks!

* that's not to say Max the Cat and the BeWells are out of the running entirely.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

bzl wrote: special relatives. The Special Relatives are not allowed to give me any shit about careful guitar tuning. That is all. (Informative note: almost everyone else is allowed to do so.)
I suspect you have no idea how carefully they tuned their instruments.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

it's that time again... review time

*bewells: this is a really awesome guitar song... somethin' about it sounds really really familiar
though... but just cause i really dig it... i'm gonna overlook it...
your singing is really pretty and works really well with it
the kind of song i can imagine playin' as i fall asleep...
(don't mean that in a bad way)... just has a comforting feel
and nothing that would really break me out of it...
really pretty... all and all there is nothin' that really makes it
an incredible song... but it's still a really good chill song
somethin' i could imagine listenin' to over and over again
all and all good works possible vote

charcoal: uhm... kinda empty... it has a decent atmospheric feel
but nothin' that is all that grabbing...
the drums is cool... maybe not the best sound... but a nice addition
but the vocals i can't hear durin' the 'breakdown' part
or sorta breakdown part... not bad...
probably wouldn't listen again... but it's not bad...

c.layne: the drums for this is pretty cool...
not a sound i expected to hear... but it's pretty cool
nice change... the drums are really cool haha...
the guitar riff is cool... but it gets a lil' bland
after awhile... but it works...
the vocals sometime get to where i can't understand 'em...
kinda mix with the distortion on the quieter parts...
i really do dig the chorus though
little long... not one of my faves of yours
i'd listen again... but no vote... still a keeper

(symbols): yea i gotta go with bzl... 'the tiny boy my mother said to me'...
line was kinda cheesy... and it's all a lil' too monotone...
kinda drags... i'm not a huge electronica person either...
but the music itself isn't too bad...
the chorus is sort of cool... but i'm not sure about the effect...
seems like it could benefit from something more added to it...
what i'm not exactly sure... just somethin' more harsh and sticks out
more in the mix... cause the vocals make a drastic heighten...
but the music stays at the same level...
all and all not bad... just not somethin' i'd listen to again...

*draft: this is pretty cool jazzy feel... the vocals are really good
this reminds me a lot of Davin Mcgrath(or whatever his name is)
haha... i really dig the quality of this song...
and the music... and the vocals... the only thing
that holds me back... is it's not really my style
but it's still really well done...
didn't really hear nothin' bout the title...
keeper... relistener... non vote

farmenther roundtable: the guitars is ok... but have some questionable spots
some pitchy vocal spots... the lyrics don't catch me at all..
the drums are just there to try to add... but really i don't think they help
they just sound like a beat machine...
nothin' here really hits me in a good way... it's not horrible
it just... wasn't nothing out of the norm...
didn't get me...

kamakura: sometimes i wished ya could get the piano as clear as the vocals...
cause your vocals are real quiet... but sound right up front...
the piano sounds like it's in the background... of course i know
i wouldn't be able to understand ya... if it was brought up more
the drums sound really bland...
basically nothin' really stands out... could use a lil' solo riffing...
mostly the biggest problem is just production... and i'm curious
of what you'd sound like... if you sung out more...
all and all not bad

maxthecat: there are some songfighters i wished that i could watch recording
just to see how they get things to sound like they do... you are one of them
this is cool... but it's not really hittin' me like some of your other stuff
deffinately some really cool guitar parts...
relistenable... keeper... no vote...

me: i had like 2 hours to get this written, recorded, and mixed...
so it wasn't the best i wanted to do... i just didn't have time
it's all live takes... the chorus guitar... i did have to record
seperately though... because i had to turn down my guitar
so it wouldn't clip... all and all...
i'm not unhappy with the song... it's a dif. idea...
somethin' i've never done to this extent...

ross durand: this is a good idea... some of the notes you hit vocally
are almost painful... specially towards the beginning...
it sort of gets better as it goes...
like the chorus... had a nice way to get into it...
again with that note i really don't like when you say 'down'
not as bad as the first time you hit the note...
really this is a pretty good song...
the solo kinda starts off... iffy...
and doesn't sound like it flows too well
maybe another take... woulda been really cool
all and all i really like the song...
just some problems that are hard for me to look past
relistenable if skip certain spots...
keeper... no vote....

the special relatives: this sounds like it could be in a horror movie
with that intro... like some kinda odd part...
for that... this is really awesome... but vocally i can't handle it much
but... it's really somethin' out of the norm...
in a really kinda interesting way...
this was deffinately worth the listen...
i'm interested in what else you'll come up with
relistenable... (think about dif vocals)... keeper
no vote... but deffinately enjoyable...

unstoppablemrmint: i think the reason i got away from distortion...
is cause it's almost impossible to record without it bein'
directly plugged in... it just sounds empty... and way too quiet
this whole song is way too quiet...
but deffinately try some of the tips people are givin'
really can't handle the bad quality much more...
i'd give tips myself... but i never honestly used the four track i had
sooo... anyhow look forward to seein' progress

xtokyorivergod: i like the vocal effect alot... it mostly just sounds
like a reverse track... this is deffinately
an interestin' listen... but nothin' difficult is really
stickin' out...
just doesn't hit me as nothin' spectacular...
just interestin'...

tops list
5. rossdurand
4. maxthecat
3. c.layne
2. draft
1. bewells
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>