Loudness management

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Loudness management

Post by fluffy »

How hard would it be to get the data for the entire history of Song Fight? What I’m really curious about is the long term trends. Home recording hasn’t changed much in the last three years but it’s changed a LOT over the last 20.

I’d be totally fine with just getting a big csv file with no filtering or presentation.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

I'll give it a shot and report back. Looks like there's about 12,000 songs to process. Not sure if I'll get all of them but at least a wider sample.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah that'd take at least a few hours to do. Maybe even a couple of days of continuous processing? I dunno how fast your machine is processing full-song LUFSes.
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

It's a 4+ year old laptop running some .NET libraries and ffmpeg :). But I think it's done. I updated the sheet. Had to skip a few songs because the file confused my script, and skipped the entire "It's Charging" fight because I doubt it really happened in 1987. Also flipped to focus on "End Date" because the Start Date of "39 + 1 = JB" is misleading.

Impressively, it includes a song that actually measured at +3 LUFS Integrated. (R Mosquito's Everybody Calm Down)

Hope this helps. Again, the scatter is a little misleading but it looks like:
LufsIntegratedVsFightEndDate-IUTKYB-Back.png
LufsIntegratedVsFightEndDate-IUTKYB-Back.png (588.78 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
SongsVsLufsIntegrated-IUTKYB-Back.png
SongsVsLufsIntegrated-IUTKYB-Back.png (45.91 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah “it’s charging” was a random one-off thing that Drew did.

And that’s cool, and looks pretty much how I expected - a really wide range that slowly converges over time. I’m a bit surprised that the average seems to have always been around -12 though. Interesting how that works out.

Anyway thanks for crunching the numbers, that’s really cool to see and informative.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

That data is awesome. Reve is sure to get a kick out of making people's ears bleed in 2008... ;)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

I already have them calculated for Nur Ein, so this was simple enough googling a couple Bash commands. Not worth cleaning up more.
plot.png
plot.png (12.01 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Edit: Ok I did a little more fun with Bash and gnuplot
bar.png
bar.png (7.61 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
Last edited by grumpymike on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

That is very cool to see! As is the Song Fight data. I love these! Yeah data!

Also whoa. Which song is that super quiet outlier?
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

https://nurein.songlander.com/titles/50 ... 364B03E3AD

"Sleep Tight" - MC Eric B

Sounds like a voice memo.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

http://www.songfight.org/music/whiskey_ ... rpe_wd.mp3

Octothorpe - Whiskey Drinker

was literally recorded as a voice memo on my phone
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Interesting, though a couple of the “so what” questions are:

1. Does loudness affect voting? Do songs outside the average for their fight get more or less votes? Outliers are probably almost always a result of port equipment or inexperience (rarely on purpose tho not never)

1. Does loudness affect listening length? How far into a track do listeners get? Can’t tell this from voting data though I think the server logs do have some kind of listening length for media files if I recall correctly. Wonder if the jukebox has any info like that.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Having to turn my volume up or down for a track doesn't affect my voting, but if the quietness or loudness is a symptom of graver mix issues then it might well do. I've definitely found myself not voting for tracks that are super over-compressed in the past because it can be so ear-fatiguey (to use the scientific term).
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

jb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:25 am
1. Does loudness affect listening length? How far into a track do listeners get? Can’t tell this from voting data though I think the server logs do have some kind of listening length for media files if I recall correctly. Wonder if the jukebox has any info like that.
That would be interesting to one but there’s nothing on songfight.org which would be recording that; you need a custom player setup that sends telemetry back. Bandcamp has a custom player that does that for their album player; perhaps that’s what you’re thinking of?

I think at best we can maybe see how many bytes of a file were downloaded but download speeds are way faster than play speeds so that wouldn’t tell us anything interesting, and it would only work for the tiniest minority of listeners anyway.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

fluffy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 am
jb wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:25 am
That would be interesting to one but there’s nothing on songfight.org which would be recording that; you need a custom player setup that sends telemetry back. Bandcamp has a custom player that does that for their album player; perhaps that’s what you’re thinking of?

I think at best we can maybe see how many bytes of a file were downloaded but download speeds are way faster than play speeds so that wouldn’t tell us anything interesting, and it would only work for the tiniest minority of listeners anyway.
Yeah, my main thought is that this data is fascinating but only that-- it's interesting to see that songs have basically been always the same loud, and interesting to see what the averages are-- the bell-curve seems to be a little to the right on the chart. But does it lead to a useful conclusion about us? Is there utility in this particular aspect of the catalog?
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

vowlvom wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 am
Having to turn my volume up or down for a track doesn't affect my voting, but if the quietness or loudness is a symptom of graver mix issues then it might well do. I've definitely found myself not voting for tracks that are super over-compressed in the past because it can be so ear-fatiguey (to use the scientific term).
If a particular artist consistently turns in a super quiet or a super loud mix I tend to have a preconceived negative feeling toward their submissions. I consciously try to overcome it, and I'm fairly proud that I realized it (if only I could see all of my biases so easily) but it's still something I have to pay attention to. All that to say, I'm pretty sure that if one of these outliers are on the fence of a vote it could be the straw that capsized the boat.

Seeing this data, though, I'm now tempted to use a louder mix on songs that I think have a chance of placing well with the songfight voters. To be fair, that's not many songs I submit and typically the ones I thought would do well don't and a couple have surprised me with doing better than I thought they would.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Loosing votes here and there because of loudness doesn't really matter since people are still friend flooding the votes anyhow... ;)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

ujnhunter wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:50 am
Loosing votes here and there because of loudness doesn't really matter since people are still friend flooding the votes anyhow... ;)
Heh, this is true. Though if you approach it as practice-- practice songwriting, practice performing, practice producing --you want all the feedback you can get about how to get better, and apparently loudness might be a kind of indicator or measure. Certainly professional mixers have a process and methods that depend on their ultimate goals. And that's true for Song Fight as it is for anywhere. If you wanna win the live fight at SFL it sure helps to be as many of these as possible: hilarious, cute, local.