You're making me uncomfortable... (Personal Space Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Re: You're making me uncomfortable... (Personal Space Reviews)

Post by furrypedro »

crumpart wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:21 am
Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:17 am
furrypedro wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:59 am
And I wish it had been a 6-way tie.
Well given that a 6-way tie would have been my first ever win, I'd probably have enjoyed that! Plus it'd be funny seeing that pop up on the "5 years ago!" section every now and again.
A six way tie for “personal space” would have been gloriously ironic. I didn’t get to reviews this time around, partially because I loved so many of the songs and voted for about ten, including the two winners. Congratulations!
I hadn't considered the meta-meaning of it but yes, that would've been amusing :)

@Æpplês&vØdkã Take more inspiration from Wham! and you'll definitely get there soon. But seriously, I have been enjoying listening to your stuff during these recent fights and though a win is a nice perk, the body of songs you make is it's own reward, plus if Paco has taught us anything talent and sheer diligence pays off eventually (in Song Fight terms, not in real life. For that you need to be born with money).
Adnama17
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, bass, uke, mando, clarinet, smidge of piano
Recording Method: Reaper and a Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: Adnama17, Evil Grin
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Adnama17 »

Appreciate the feedback, as always. Just want to throw a thought out there. If the Evil Grin song was in better time, would it have the same off-kilter feeling? Maybe creating a sense of discombobulation was the point, because that's how it felt. Should frustration and rage be in time? Not necessarily, at least not how I express frustration and rage. Just a thought. <3
And now it seems to me the beautiful uncut hair of graves -Walt Whitman
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Adnama17 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:18 am
Appreciate the feedback, as always. Just want to throw a thought out there. If the Evil Grin song was in better time, would it have the same off-kilter feeling? Maybe creating a sense of discombobulation was the point, because that's how it felt. Should frustration and rage be in time? Not necessarily, at least not how I express frustration and rage. Just a thought. <3
As a person who’s also had some comments on timing of late, what I’m working on currently is getting the spine of my songs as tight as I can, so that anything over the top that I want to feel discombobulated kind of is able to hang off that and feel like it should be that way. My personal area of expertise is in making visual art, and I know from experience there that if I want something to be read as chaotic, I can’t just throw anything at my paper and hope for the best, because people will pass it over as unskilled. As a result, anything I want to feel messy and more free has to have an even stronger base than the more straightforward/physically beautiful work, as it will be subject to a more unfair level of scrutiny.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

crumpart wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 am
My personal area of expertise is in making visual art...
I've been enjoying your album art. It even got me experimenting with a new "style" of album art submission I've been toying with for a while. As a beginner at this sort of thing, it's cool to see what you've been doing.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Adnama17
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, bass, uke, mando, clarinet, smidge of piano
Recording Method: Reaper and a Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: Adnama17, Evil Grin
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Adnama17 »

crumpart wrote:
Adnama17 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:18 am
As a person who’s also had some comments on timing of late, what I’m working on currently is getting the spine of my songs as tight as I can, so that anything over the top that I want to feel discombobulated kind of is able to hang off that and feel like it should be that way. My personal area of expertise is in making visual art, and I know from experience there that if I want something to be read as chaotic, I can’t just throw anything at my paper and hope for the best, because people will pass it over as unskilled. As a result, anything I want to feel messy and more free has to have an even stronger base than the more straightforward/physically beautiful work, as it will be subject to a more unfair level of scrutiny.
I totally agree. I'm not trying to justify anything or complain about the comments we got at all, b/c it truly and 100% sucked, and we deserved every criticism. We tried, failed, and now we have some building blocks for next time. I was just challenging the notion of timing needing to be always on point. It's relative sometimes to the feel you're going for, but you are right, you need a strong foundation to jump off from for it to work properly. I guess it was more of a philosophical observation than anything else. :)
And now it seems to me the beautiful uncut hair of graves -Walt Whitman
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:24 am
crumpart wrote:
My personal area of expertise is in making visual art...
I've been enjoying your album art. It even got me experimenting with a new "style" of album art submission I've been toying with for a while. As a beginner at this sort of thing, it's cool to see what you've been doing.
Hooray! Visual art and design is what I do for a job, so it’s definitely 100% my comfort zone. I’ve been deliberately trying to give myself a very short time limit with them to see what I can get done. I definitely look through all the art submissions for each one, and some of the ones you’ve done have been funny enough to make me laugh out loud.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

crumpart wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm
some of the ones you’ve done have been funny enough to make me laugh out loud.
Hopefully not because the effort was so pitiful it made you laugh. Even though I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing, I have a lot of fun with the album art. A nice little creative outlet that isn't music.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm
crumpart wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm
some of the ones you’ve done have been funny enough to make me laugh out loud.
Hopefully not because the effort was so pitiful it made you laugh. Even though I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing, I have a lot of fun with the album art. A nice little creative outlet that isn't music.
No!

The "Please Move" elephants are my favourite.