Long time no see

New Players stand up and be counted.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Long time no see

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Hello all,

to those who don't know me:
Hi, I used to be on here a lot, then I went off and did some other projects, and I'm just coming back to say hi.

to those who don't not know me:
It's been a while since I've been on here and listened to anything or participated, but I think about SF all the time as it ended up representing a huge chunk of my musical journey. Basically, 2003-10 or so were my "Songfight years". I often think about coming back here and joining fights. Maybe someday. Meanwhile, I'm gonna listen to "Same Street, Different Apartment" or whatever it's called. Maybe I'll write some reviews. Really though I just felt like saying hi to everyone.

When I think back on my Songfight Years, one thing I invariably think is that I was often kind of a dick, and to everyone on the receiving end thereof: sorry about that. I hope that's not a lasting legacy I left or anything.

Anyway, here's something I'm working on now:
https://youtu.be/o6YWWcVdSno
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Long time no see

Post by Lunkhead »

Hi! Welcome back to the boards. It'd be awesome to see you active again in whatever way works for you. I don't recall you being a jerk compared to the rest of us. I think maybe we were all a little more blunt and interested in arguing for arguing's sake back then. I don't things are super different around here vs "the old days" but they maybe are overall a little mellower and more polite on the boards. Folks still give good feedback about songwriting and production and it's still a great community.

I dug the Star Trek opera video, cool stuff!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, welcome back. I was definitely more of a jerk to you than you were to anyone else.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Welcome back JoS

I can’t remember you being a dick. This is a dick. (obviously this comment needs some video reference to the first crocodile Dundee movie)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:39 pm
I don't things are super different around here vs "the old days" but they maybe are overall a little mellower and more polite on the boards.
Blow it out your arse Lunkhead
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

*gasp* what would Bono think of that kind of language
Caravan Ray wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:04 am
Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:39 pm
I don't things are super different around here vs "the old days" but they maybe are overall a little mellower and more polite on the boards.
Blow it out your arse Lunkhead
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

There are things in life that you leave, and you feel a little bad that a bunch of people you know stuck with that thing and you flitted about and could have maintained a sense of consistency and commitment to said thing all that time.

There are things in life that you stick with long-term, and you feel a little bad that a bunch of people you know moved on from that thing, yet you stuck around like a loser, refusing to grow and change.

I have 1,139 examples of one fo those scenarios in my life, and 1,068 examples of the other one.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me: I want to say I remember you from back the day (I was active under various pseudonyms primarily from 06-08), but it looks like we never songfought! You must have been on these boards during some of those anyway...

Anyway, welcome back! It's gotten smaller, and perhaps people's gotten more civil, but I think message board culture in general is a little more polite across the board than it was in the aughts. Either than or I've quit being a teenager and developed a thicker skin...
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I think in general the Internet has bifurcated into "decent people Internet" and "complete asshole Internet," and I'm happy to report that Song Fight! is mostly the first one.

Mostly.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

fluffy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:08 pm
I think in general the Internet has bifurcated into "decent people Internet" and "complete asshole Internet," and I'm happy to report that Song Fight! is mostly the first one.

Mostly.
I wish I could say the same about stackoverflow and programming related IRC channels. It's a bloodbath over there!

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah I stopped visiting stackexchange when the current Discourse started. That place was one heck of a cultural powder keg, huh?
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

fluffy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:29 pm
Yeah I stopped visiting stackexchange when the current Discourse started. That place was one heck of a cultural powder keg, huh?
Was? It still is! Then again I don't frequent SO much anymore either, mostly because I've discovered while IRC people can be dicks they're usually at least helpful.

Tangentially, I recently witnessed an hour-long flame-war on the Freenode ##java IRC channel cause someone insulted IBM in a discussion of the difference between Swing and SWT. It was...vicious.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I meant, the powder keg had finally been set off with some long-brewing conflict having been brought violently to the surface.

I mostly visited the stack exchange front page to see the hot questions because there’s often be interesting stuff to learn but when the Discourse started it was nothing but Freeze Peachers implying that being asked to respect people’s pronouns is the worst thing to ever happen to the Internet.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:28 pm
I wish I could say the same about stackoverflow and programming related IRC channels. It's a bloodbath over there!
I'm happy to say that #git on Freenode is usually type 1, too. I'm sure that's one of the reasons that this is one of the last IRC channels I'm still active on.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

JoS, I could never forget you. You did the masterful Welcome To ____ song with the Microsoft sounds. :)
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Rone Rivendale wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:22 pm
JoS, I could never forget you. You did the masterful Welcome To ____ song with the Microsoft sounds. :)
Thanks for remembering that. Almost 15 years ago now, holy crap.

But your posting that reminded me of another piano piece I wrote that I had a ton of fun with, a piano solo cover of "Revolution #9". I posted it up in the "new song" thread. No one's really heard it much, but it was so much fun to write.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

JoS, your music archive here contains some of my favorite songs of all time.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Aww shucks. Was it someone else or didn't you once decide to perform my Brown Boxes live t some point?
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Yes! Actually, I’m putting together material for a new CD, and that song came into consideration - would you mind? :)
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Welcome back! When I started here, you stood out for me because people in the chat rooms were wondering if I was you, making a comeback (so I'm told; I never used the chat rooms). This is mostly because we have almost the same name (do people add "s" to yours? They often drop it from mine), but also people seemed to see similarities in our contributions -- maybe because we're both eccentric and versatile. I can't see any other reason. I don't remember if we were ever in the same fight, but I enjoyed your musically literate contributions in the archives.

I never thought you were a dick; just not afraid to be helpful, even if it meant being honest. You could be badly wrong (I sometimes thought to myself), but that's different. I particularly appreciated your "orthogonal reviews" project, when you volunteered to review all of someone's entries. You did that for me, and I learned from it. In fact, I felt like a dick, because I never bought your CD afterwards.

I do wish you hadn't shown up just in time for one of the weakest entries I've ever sent in! (Right Town, Wrong Address.) And the next one's no better, by the way. Now I'm going to have to try harder.
Last edited by AJOwens on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Congrats on the "ABCD Puppies" win 15 years ago...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

jimtyrrell wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:48 am
Yes! Actually, I’m putting together material for a new CD, and that song came into consideration - would you mind? :)
(Hah, mind....) Of course I wouldn't mind! I've made some (what I think of as) lyric improvements in my head

"AM I wasting away?"

I've never liked "You'll just call a friend". It would probably be a line about being on Instagram or something now.

"Friends say you're gonna leave/Cuz you're out of my league"
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.