Cooking

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Cooking

Post by crumpart »

fluffy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:15 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:25 pm
Lol!! There seemed to be a fashion for eating roo years ago - I really couldn’t get into it. I assume you are posting from the US? It is weird to think it is being exported. What is that Australian themed restaurant chain in the US? So they serve too?
As far as I know, Outback Steakhouse doesn't serve any actual Australian food, they just have shitty American restaurant food spoken in a Paul Hogan accent.
Thank you for recognising that a Paul Hogan accent is different from an Australian accent.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

"that's not an Australian accent...

THIS is an Australian accent"
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

gizo wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:37 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Lol!! There seemed to be a fashion for eating roo years ago - I really couldn’t get into it. I assume you are posting from the US? It is weird to think it is being exported. What is that Australian themed restaurant chain in the US? So they serve too?
Nah, I'm just down in Melbourne. Our local supermarket gets some roo in fairly regularly, and I grab some if the price is right.
Ahh. Ok. That makes mores sense. Mind you - the meal you described was likely vey good. Cooked well roo can be ok. But it’s hard to do well - and overdone ( or underdone) it can be pretty bad.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I baked a spice-filled sandworm for a Dune movie night tonight! It was a hit. That movie is awesome even if it makes no sense.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Also made a butternut squash/feta/caramelized onion/pine nut tart for an earlier potluck today.
It was good!
IMG_7130.JPG
IMG_7130.JPG (2.31 MiB) Viewed 1209 times
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Wanted to pass along my thanks to Irwin once again... I had my wife pickup some Fritos at the store for use with her homemade chili. It was good. :)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

owl wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:06 am
I baked a spice-filled sandworm for a Dune movie night tonight! It was a hit. That movie is awesome even if it makes no sense.
Oddly enough just the other night I got in a conversation about how the Lynch version of Dune is the only one worth consuming anymore because all of the others that exist (including the original books) are Extremely Problematic or at least Bad, and the Lynch version is at least surreal and nonsensical enough that none of that matters. Plus, young Patrick Stewart and mostly-naked Sting.

(Although I just realized the Lynch version really amps up the fatphobia so maybe I need to refine my take.)
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

fluffy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:52 am
owl wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:06 am
Oddly enough just the other night I got in a conversation about how the Lynch version of Dune is the only one worth consuming anymore because all of the others that exist (including the original books) are Extremely Problematic or at least Bad, and the Lynch version is at least surreal and nonsensical enough that none of that matters. Plus, young Patrick Stewart and mostly-naked Sting.

(Although I just realized the Lynch version really amps up the fatphobia so maybe I need to refine my take.)
I'm surprised the book bothers you more than the movie, I'd think if there was a problematicness Venn diagram that the circle for the book would be completely inside the one for the movie. I really liked the book, but it's also been probably 10 years since I last read it and I've probably forgotten a lot. The fatphobia (+ homophobia + skin disease stuff) is gross, agreed (and the White Male Savior, Lawrence of Arabia colonization stuff, and I'm sure the list goes on...) But I love the aesthetics so much! All the wild, steampunky visual design stuff is just a treat to look at. Big hair! Obelisks! Space pugs!!!
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

fluffy wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
As far as I know, Outback Steakhouse doesn't serve any actual Australian food, they just have shitty American restaurant food spoken in a Paul Hogan accent.
Mmmm, I love their Bloomin' Witchetty Grubs
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I updated my chili recipe post because I can't believe I forgot to list the absolute shitload of cumin
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

fluffy wrote:
Plus, young Patrick Stewart and mostly-naked Sting.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

fluffy wrote:

I read four of the Dune books as a teenager because people I thought were cool liked them (this probably says a lot). I didn't particularly enjoy them but they didn't really make me angry until the moment in God Emperor of Dune in which a female character reaches orgasm from watching a male character climb a wall.
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I don’t even remember that bit. Probably for the best.

Seattle last night I made my chili but in too small of a pot and used cubed lean sirloin which turned out to be as mistake. Oh well.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

POST DUNE RECIPES OR GO
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I mean my chili is pretty full of spice so
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I got Salvador’s Dalis cookbook for Christmas.

https://books.google.com.au/books/about ... edir_esc=y
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

owl
Panama

Post by owl »

This week's salad jars include:
  • salmon
  • "ancient grains" (I threw away the package so I'm not quite sure what's in it--some kind of chewy grains combo like red rice/barley/quinoa, and I added some wheat berries)
  • lemon juice/honey mustard/olive oil, avocado oil, and toasted sesame oil vinaigrette
  • fresh Italian parsley
  • beets
  • sunflower seeds
  • broccoli microsprouts
  • orange bell peppers
  • baby spinach
  • shredded carrots
  • baby arugula
  • romaine
I ate all the ones from last week for breakfast or lunch (missed one day when I went to the dentist) and the apple/avocado pieces actually held up pretty well all week after being tossed in dressing. I know it doesn't take a lot of time to assemble a salad, but I love having them just ready to go.

Also: I have 32 eggs in my fridge right now, maybe give or take a couple. HALP. What should I make with them?

(they had a "buy 2 dozen eggs, get a free package of sausage" special at the grocery store and the eggs were also on sale for less than $1 per dozen, so I bought 2 dozen, and then I forgot I was going to see my friend who has a farm and I bought 8 eggs from her because I know the chickens and would rather eat their nice free-range bug-eatin' freshly gathered eggs than the regular store-bought ones. I was going to hard-boil and put some in my salad jars but I forgot, I guess I could get rid of 5 or so that way. But it's still a lot of eggs.) So far the only real plan is that I'll probably make a Dutch Baby pancake over the weekend. If all else fails, deviled eggs, I guess (I can't eat a half dozen eggs scrambled or fried or hard-boiled, but I bet I could eat the equivalent amount of deviled eggs given the opportunity).
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:00 pm
fluffy wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
Thank you for recognising that a Paul Hogan accent is different from an Australian accent.
Huh!?! How is Paul Hogans accent different from an Australian accent? We might not still wear skin tight stubbies - but there is nothing wrong with his accent!?!?
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:11 am
crumpart wrote:
fluffy wrote:

Huh!?! How is Paul Hogans accent different from an Australian accent? We might not still wear skin tight stubbies - but there is nothing wrong with his accent!?!?
There’s nothing wrong with it, per se. Its *an* Australian accent. It’s just not my accent, or the accent of most Australians that I know.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:28 am
Caravan Ray wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:11 am
crumpart wrote:

There’s nothing wrong with it, per se. Its *an* Australian accent. It’s just not my accent, or the accent of most Australians that I know.

I dunno. I’ve been here for 53 years. It sounds pretty right. And I have even drunk latte in Melbourne!! (but I didn’t like the sound of the pooftahs down there )