Cooking

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Cooking

Post by Caravan Ray »

And Crumpart ( you have me fired up now) - I am puzzled by your claim “it’s an Australian accent- it’s not my accent”!?!? WTF does that mean!?!? There are not different Australian accents. Over the whole continent our accent is the most consistent of anywhere. There are very minor differences if you are from the country or suburbs - but they are tiny.

I am calling out your trying to differentiate your self from Paul Hogans accent as inner-city latteism at is worst. I spurn you as I would spurn a rabid dog.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 am
And Crumpart ( you have me fired up now) - I am puzzled by your claim “it’s an Australian accent- it’s not my accent”!?!? WTF does that mean!?!? There are not different Australian accents. Over the whole continent our accent is the most consistent of anywhere. There are very minor differences if you are from the country or suburbs - but they are tiny.

I am calling out your trying to differentiate your self from Paul Hogans accent as inner-city latteism at is worst. I spurn you as I would spurn a rabid dog.
When you move overseas and the majority of people don’t know where the fuck you’re from because your accent isn’t like Paul Hogan’s or Steve Irwin’s, it becomes more of a personal battle. Especially when those people who can’t figure out your accent can differentiate a local regional accent from someone who lives two blocks away. Sure, I spent 20 years in coffee central, but I also spent 20 years living in the country where they spelled it expresso. There are different Australian accents, I promise you.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

these are serious issues and all i wanted was a recipe for funnelweb cake
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

jb wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 am
these are serious issues and all i wanted was a recipe for funnelweb cake
I think you’ll find those mostly in Sydney.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

It’s clearing out the freezer time and I’ve had a couple of mackerel fillets in there since at least April. I decided they were a bit past it for me, so cooked them for the dog. He’s now just licking his bowl obsessively and refusing to come back inside in the hope that more magically appear.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

this week, my breakfast salad Mason jars are faux-niçoise:
  • steamed new potatoes cut in half
  • canned tuna
  • sliced black olives
  • steamed green beans
  • hard-boiled eggs
  • edamame
  • shredded raw carrots
  • sunflower seeds
  • red bell pepper
  • chopped romaine
  • lemon, Dijon, thyme, and avocado oil vinagrette
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

The wife invites friends over Wednesday evening for dinner and usually cooks something new(ish). Last night it was asparagus and sun dried tomato stuffed chicken breasts with bacon. Tasty. btw, one of our guests suggested the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich topic of my most recent Jamuary effort. Not a great song, but it was fun to get an idea and return with a song in under 60 minutes. (I guess Fawm skirmishes are just around the corner so I will be able to do more soon.)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The extent of my cooking is pretty much just making myself egg sandwiches for breakfast. Erin got me some amazing sourdough English muffins (or, muffins, to some) from an excellent local bakery (the Cheeseboard, which I'm guessing owl has heard of ;) ) and I've been toasting those for my sandwiches, with an over-medium fried egg, either with some slices of "alpine" cheddar (which is like a blend of chedder and Swiss) or some local version of Boursin garlic and herb cheese spread (also from the Cheeseboard), plus some everything bagel shake on top, and maybe some Frank's Red Hot hot sauce for good measure. Mmmmmmm...
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:20 pm
The extent of my cooking is pretty much just making myself egg sandwiches for breakfast. Erin got me some amazing sourdough English muffins (or, muffins, to some) from an excellent local bakery (the Cheeseboard, which I'm guessing owl has heard of ;) ) and I've been toasting those for my sandwiches, with an over-medium fried egg, either with some slices of "alpine" cheddar (which is like a blend of chedder and Swiss) or some local version of Boursin garlic and herb cheese spread (also from the Cheeseboard), plus some everything bagel shake on top, and maybe some Frank's Red Hot hot sauce for good measure. Mmmmmmm...
Yummmm that sounds delicious

(For a few years, we lived in a house about 6 blocks away from the Cheese Board. We've got a lot of good cheese here... what I really I miss is those pizzas.)
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Erin also got me a whole Cheese Board pizza to eat for lunch every day over my birthday weekend. :)
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Jealous! That's fantastic.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I made THE WORST banana bread ever tonight. It was like, all stodgy, or claggy, or whatever Paul Hollywood would say for what basically was banana sludge cake. That thing was NEVER gonna cook right.

Still gonna eat it tho
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Not currently cooking anything because I spent the weekend frantically cooking so that we can pack all our kitchen stuff. Watching YouTube instead.

Last edited by crumpart on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I like the How To Cook That channel. Her meme-busting is interesting and somehow satisfying.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I like that channel, and here's some other YouTube cooking channels I love:

Food Wishes - semi-retired chef in San Francisco who likes to learn new stuff by request
https://www.youtube.com/user/foodwishes

Alex (formerly French Guy Cooking) - a French millennial who didn't know how to cook decided he was doing his country shame and began to learn. Now he's quite good (with a focus on gourmet cooking).
https://www.youtube.com/user/FrenchGuyCooking

Barry Lewis (formerly My Virgin Kitchen) - a British fellow who didn't know how to cook had a realization when his girlfriend got pregnant and began to learn. Now he's quite good (with a focus on easy recipes/techniques and fun things to do). Also he's contagiously enthusiastic.
https://www.youtube.com/user/myvirginkitchen

Bon Appétit - members of a cooking magazine's test kitchen staff torture each other, and cooking eventually happens
https://www.youtube.com/user/BonAppetitDotCom

You Suck At Cooking - yeah you totally suck
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCekQr9 ... xBo3YiLq2w

Binging with Babish - reverse-engineering recipes from TV and movies, and then making them good
https://www.youtube.com/user/bgfilms

There's a whole bunch of others that I follow too but these are the ones that stand out and are always a must-watch for me.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

crumpart wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:47 am
Not currently cooking anything because I spent the weekend frantically cooking so that we can pack all our kitchen stuff. Watching YouTube instead.

This is fascinating but infuriating, couldn't watch the whole thing. I don't know who Blossom is, but I hate them and all their fearmongering nonsense.

My mom sent me this article a few years ago about fake eggs being sold in China (with shells, yolks, etc.) which I just Googled and found corroborated on the Time website, but it seems like complete nonsense to me. It seems like a huge amount of effort for maaaaybe a slightly lower materials cost to produce a fake egg (but what about labor? And losing all your customers in the future?) I guess I'd be interested in knowing how to do it for experimental dinner parties, if this is indeed a thing, but i just can't imagine a realistic fake egg being possible and also cheaper to produce than real eggs. Like, why wouldn't this be an overpriced thing in Whole Foods with vegans who miss eggs? (or is it already and I've just missed it??)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah Blossom has a bit of a reputation; they're a "viral content" farm and they do a bunch of "science" videos of which most of them are misleading and some are downright dangerous. YouTube is full of shitty channels like this though. I'm surprised there haven't been stories of kids getting hurt or killed trying to replicate some of the things they show. :/
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

I've been eating a lot of trash lately because work has been crazy and I'm tired all the time and didn't have time to do any meal prep last weekend, but things are lightening up a little (I think, I hope) and today I made some nice veggies for lunch:
  • brussels sprouts quartered lengthwise
  • minced garlic
  • chopped preserved lemon
  • chopped hazelnuts
  • brown sugar
  • toasted sesame oil
  • red pepper flakes
  • olive oil, flaky sea salt, pepper
Tossed together and roasted until brown and a bit crispy. I think maybe fresh lemon would have gone with the flavor profile a bit better, but this was pretty delicious and I've eaten several helpings, almost the entire bag of sprouts. Which is probably going to cause some digestive issues later, but that's a problem for Future Me. It is undoubtedly a better choice than the bowl of ice cream with nuts on top I had for lunch the other day.

I had this amazing bowl of sprouts at a ramen restaurant in Milwaukee recently that was mostly "petals" cut off the little sprouts, and ultra-crisp and spicy--I think they said they tossed it with gochujang. I started this out thinking I'd do that, but cutting all the leaves off turned out to be an enormous pain in the ass, so I gave up. In the future I will definitely try to recreate it, though!

@fluffy, I meant to ask earlier, how's your kitchen stuff going? Can you cook again yet?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

My kitchen is almost done! The sink and dishwasher are being hooked up at this very moment. There’s a bit more finishing and electrical work to do but the kitchen is usable without it.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Yay!!! That must be a huge relief.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Huh! I totally would have thought the electric kettle would win because the heating element goes right into the water. That was a surprisingly huge difference.