You know it's true (Something’s Wrong prefight)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Re: You know it's true (Something’s Wrong prefight)

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

crumpart wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:31 am
I went in imagining it as a murder ballad,
Ha! I was toying with the idea of -- theme pending -- trying to write one of those next week. I'm always astounded at how many of those have been made over the years.
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

In! With my first submission for a good while.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

OK, despite getting confused about the deadline, I managed to get this wrapped up, more or less, and submitted in time(ish), phew. Now I'll try to finish up my reviews for "Checkered Past" before the next prompt goes up--I got my votes in already, at least.

I watched "Echo in the Canyon" last week and was on a big Byrds kick as a result, so I started writing this with my new guitar's fake 12-string mode after binging on JANGLES (plus a generous helping of Joni Mitchell). I think there are like 3 different 12-string models layered up in this track. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to try and execute the sitar parts properly on guitar and wound up doing them on keyboard, big missed opportunity to use the guitar's fake sitar (I guess that just means I have to write another song that uses sitar.) I'm not a very good guitarist, so it takes me about 10 times as long to record any kind of melodic part on guitar as on a keyboard.

Anyway, it wound up very sunny and poppy even if not all quite as Byrds-y as I initially had in mind--a bunch of questionable jangly "12-strings" + fake humbucker and Strat "in-between" electric guitar, handclaps, lots of harmonies and backing vocals (I think I ended up with something like 20 vocal tracks in my project), NI Abbey Road 60's Drums, faux Rickenbacker bass, sitar, mellotron.

(As an aside, I'm really enjoying reading through everyone's lyrics posted so far for this fight, lots of interesting weirdness that I'm looking forward to hearing!)
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Aww yeah! Glad to see you've put your new guitar to good work already! Can't wait to hear it. I take it that you're enjoying it? :)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Because it's just me and @vowlvom stalking the boards right now, I have to say I love your art entry for this fight. That little rhyme with that picture is making me laugh.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

Haha thanks. "That's a dumb idea", I thought. "I absolutely must do it."
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

ujnhunter wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:13 am
Aww yeah! Glad to see you've put your new guitar to good work already! Can't wait to hear it. I take it that you're enjoying it? :)
Yes!!! I'm definitely loving it as a quiet/easy practice option. Although I took it to band practice the other night, and of course it chose that moment for the batteries in the modeling unit to die... luckily I had the backup set with me. (And I'm glad this does have the passive pickups option! I still have to explore that part of it a bit more. I think the built-in distortion sounded kind of wimpy, I haven't really checked yet on how it sounds going through an amp sim.) Have you gotten to play yours any more yet?