Do you realize there are (Something's Wrong Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Do you realize there are (Something's Wrong Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

... wait for them...... WAIT FOR THEM!!!!

(also... post your reviews.)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Do you realize there are (Something's Wrong Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Lyric thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11666

Please post your lyric in the thread if you haven't already. Thanks!

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Lunkhead wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:05 pm
Songs posted!
Ok.
Something’s wrong.

Don’t fkn know how, but apparently my song has 2’30” of silence at the end. No idea how. Thought I checked it. Is it too much of a bitch to send you an updated file Lunkhead?
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

So yeah, something's wrong and it is my song! Thanks Vom.

Sorry everyone.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Ha, I read that RIGHT when your song lapsed into silence on my morning listen-through. Eh, a few months ago Darkanon Viva managed to win (dubiously) with a song that had the same defect...so it may not work against you too much!
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:40 am
Ha, I read that RIGHT when your song lapsed into silence on my morning listen-through. Eh, a few months ago Darkanon Viva managed to win (dubiously) with a song that had the same defect...so it may not work against you too much!
I know, and I gave them grief about it too!

Anyway, to make up for being an idiot, I just donated an extra $40 to the Wildlife Victoria Bushfire Appeal, which is $2.50 (the actual length of my song) for every ten seconds of silence.

https://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I replaced that version with a new one with the silence at the end trimmed off.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Lunkhead wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 am
I replaced that version with a new one with the silence at the end trimmed off.
Thanks!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Berkeley Social Scene: Interesting vocal style that works very well for the chorus (I like it with the reverb) but maybe isn't as likable in the verses. I like the driving bass and this has a live feel but a good sounding mix. I like the drums, but maybe they aren't recorded as crisply as usual? This one is growing on me.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: I like some of the lines in the lyric (the rapture line is cool) but this mix just seems to bury the vocal and isn't as clean as I typically enjoy. That gives it some character, though.

Evil Grin: Amanda wrote this one and recorded the piano, bass and vox tracks. The arrangement was my idea and I did the guitars and drums as well as the mixing.

Glenn Case: Cool intro and guitars. I wasn't expecting this. Kind of a throwback vocal. It reminds me slightly of a Phil Collins 80's vocal (from the mix, not the quality/sound/performanc) or maybe a little Steely Dan? I'm not sure those are fair to you, but it's cool. I like the phrasing on the chorus, the prosody of the vocal and instruments. Not sure I like the sudden ending. This song is a cool one, though. How did you record/mix that vocal, if you don't mind sharing?

Glennny: I like the rhythm right from the start. There are places where the vocal doesn't work very well for me. I like that there are some interesting arrangement choices. Is that a synth guitar lead?

Hot Pink Halo: The intro seems a little tentative but I like the build up right before the band kicks in. Maybe the vocals aren't quite as clear as they could be in the full band section. (That's a small nit in the grand scheme of picks.) If you'd include all governments I would agree with you a bit more. But I can only imagine this was a good song to sing about now for you.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff: AAAA rhyme schemes are hard to pull off in my experience. You managed to pull it off and I like the use of off rhymes. Sounds good to my ears. The chorus is suitably likable. That incessant acoustic might be a hair much for me, but it works on first listen.

Medavox: What is with all the alternative vocal tracks this fight? Between choosing interesting vocal performances and the un-ordinary mixing ideas it seems I missed the boat with doing someth... erm, I guess I did it, too. *sigh* At any rate, I like the instrumentation but maybe the vocal was a bit much for me, although I like you going for it. I did want to sing along with the sing along bits.

miscellaneous owl: So the melody to start reminds me slightly of Marcy's Playground -Sex and Candy. But that completely disappears after the chorus. I liked the stutter start and stop. I wonder if it wouldn't have hit better toward the end instead of right there toward the beginning. But it's well done. I like your melodies in general and this one is no exception. One of my favorites for how many fights in a row, now?

Paco del Stinko: That slower tempo pace works wonders for you. I'm really digging this song, Paco. Tasty playing and your vocal delivery suits the song quite a bit. I even like the (slightly) disturbing lyric. This is also one of my favorites of the fight.

Phlebia: The mix sounds clear but it's slightly off, I think. Maybe. Maybe I just want to hear the vocals better and am slightly distracted by the drum track. The uneven syllable counts in the lyric delivery actually work pretty darn well for me. It lends itself to the lyric. I like the "strange" sounds their effect. Maybe it's a bit heavy handed a bit, but it makes me feel like you're making an artistic statement, which is cool. I just write songs.

Pigfarmer Jr: This is my musical interpretation of a Budweiser commercial. I hope it comes off better than that sounds.

ShoehornTC: There is something I love about this vocal right from the start. An innocence or pureness or... something that really makes it feel right. Maybe a naturalness? At any rate, I like this song.

Travels With Brindle: I like your melody and your vocal has likable quality to it. Simple arrangements have a tendency to stick out in these fights. I fear you won't get many votes because of it, but I think you're writing is pretty good. Also, if you wanna sign up for the boards (if you haven't already) you an post your lyric in the lyric thread. You can find the link in the second post of this thread. I'd appreciate it, but then... if you're not here, then I guess you won't see this, will ya?

Vom Vorton: Warming up for Fawm, are ye? Well you brought a good one in any case. Sparrows singing Paranoid sounds awesome. I would never mix like this but it works very well for me.

WreckdoM: The music reminds me of a slow down of the weird science (was that Oingo Boingo?) song from the 80's. The vocal delivery took me a moment to get into but I think it works pretty well. It's almost a throw back delivery, that spoken word/halloweenish delivery. But it's done well. I couldn't help but smile at the end.

GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:58 pm

Glenn Case: Cool intro and guitars. I wasn't expecting this. Kind of a throwback vocal. It reminds me slightly of a Phil Collins 80's vocal (from the mix, not the quality/sound/performanc) or maybe a little Steely Dan? I'm not sure those are fair to you, but it's cool. I like the phrasing on the chorus, the prosody of the vocal and instruments. Not sure I like the sudden ending. This song is a cool one, though. How did you record/mix that vocal, if you don't mind sharing?
Hey, thanks! I enjoy Steely Dan and Phil Collins, so I don't take either as a slight.

I don't recall intentionally doing anything different with the vocal. I can check the settings when I get home.

In the meantime, here's the video of the song's creation from start to finish. Note: I added that false ending a few days after the fact. https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... =610270682
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:58 pm
this mix just seems to bury the vocal and isn't as clean as I typically enjoy. That gives it some character, though.
I agree the mix is not at all ideal. Ear fatigue is real! I think if I had waited a day and came back to remix I would've done a few things differently. In fact, I did end up remixing the track and reforming the end to a fadeout after the fact. Thanks for finding something positive in it all :)
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

GlennCase wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:44 am
I don't recall intentionally doing anything different with the vocal. I can check the settings when I get home.

In the meantime, here's the video of the song's creation from start to finish. Note: I added that false ending a few days after the fact. https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... =610270682
Now I question whether it has as much to do with performance/melody.. I'll have to listen again. The link doesn't work for me, says it's unavailable. I'm guessing because we aren't friends on FB? Damn me and my antisocial tendencies.

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

@GlennCase - Upon further listening, I think it's the doubled vox combined with the melody. And my comparison probably isn't great, but there you have it. Thanks for sharing the FB feed, that was cool.

Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Heavy handed, eh? I can't disagree with you, while I'm proud of a few lines, there are certainly a few that were kind of clunky and a bit over the top. Musing on anxiety and depression for that many stanzas is hard! Thanks for the comments! As for uneven syllables, I kind of enjoy the extra work to make everything fit together and still have some melody to it...

Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

The first set of reviews of mine. The reviewer is my wife, who doesn't really want to listen to music right now. These reviews consist almost solely of the length of time it took her to ask to change the song to the next one. If you aren't mention, assume she didn't ask to change the song. At many points during this process, she was being distracted by our children while we worked on a kindergarten art project.

Berkeley Social Scene - 0:10
Brown Word And The Big Whine - 0:17
Evil Grin - 1:19
Glenn Case - 100%
Glennny - :39
Hot Pink Halo - 0:09
Ken’s Super Duper Band n’ Stuff - “Are you Michael Stipe?” 2:20
Metavox - 0:23
Pigfarmer JR - 1:45
Travels With Brindle - 1:20
Vom Vorton - 0:20
WreckdoM - 0:23

WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Again, maybe a bit brief - will be working on trying to offer more helpful reviews :)

miscellaneous owl - Good mix, you have a great voice, and nice vocal accompaniments. Also like the little breakdown where you realize something's wrong. Sort of a vintage feel to this one.

Medavox - Wonderful, unusual quality to the layered vocals. The percussion is a little too upfront in the mix. Love the basslines. Good lyrics.

Glenn Case - Huge sound on this one, if a little boomy. I like your voice and vocal harmonies. That little turn around is badass. Nice rippin' guitar solo. The ending was unexpectedly abrupt.

ShoehornTC - Charming sound to this. The organ/acoustic strings combo really works. I do like how the different instruments are panned when listening to headphones.

Glennny - This one was full of unexpected twists and turns. I like to be challenged by unusual rhythms and phrasing. The different voices and instrumentation add a lot of texture.

Evil Grin - Slow and minor, piano + big drums + sultry vox - nice! The guitar is impeccable and very brave with such a nakedly clean tone. I liked this one a lot.

Travels With Brindle - Charming sound. The uke sounds pretty good. I've always found that instrument to be unforgiving, which might be why I never took much to playing it myself. As I mentioned above, a clean approach is a brave one, in my book.

Paco del Stinko - I had to get up and make sure the doors were locked while listening to this. Creepy music + disturbing lyrics - I approve. Nifty harmonies on the chorus. Enjoyed the dueling guitar/organ solos.

Hot Pink Halo - The intro brings to mind folk protest songs of years past. Good lyrics - about a horrifying disaster. 3/4 time signature - so refreshing to hear.

Phlebia - The organs overlaid almost sound like sirens in some places. This song has a post-apocalyptic feel. The drums are aggressive, which fits. I appreciate the dark, desolate tone.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - as mentioned in a previous review the mix on this isn't great and I'd clearly worn out my ears working on it; the vocals could be in sharper contast to a somewhat muddy low end. Aside from that I had a great time putting this together.

WreckdoM - I can only claim a very small (bass) part in this but I'm proud of the outcome. WreckdoM's song creation process is an alchemical conjuring of sound that is magical to behold, if sometimes not readily accessible. Naturally, I'm biased...

Vom Vorton - This is good. Interesting lyrics, catchy hook, poppy feel. I do like me a breakdown.

Pig Farmer Jr. - I like the big open feel of this song, though I'm on the fence about the distorted drums. Great guitar tone in the solos, that still leaves room for the vox. One can feel the abandonment of the lyrics' speaker.

Berkeley Social Scene - Another minor key tune, which is always a good thing. I'm not a really big fan of the guitar tones or vocal style, but that's not to say this isn't a decent song.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Nice clean guitars with a pleasing organ accompaniment.
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
medavox
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Western stringed fretted things. And sometimes Cajon
Recording Method: REAPER from now on. Suffered with Audacity too long
Submitting as: medavox, colour of infinity

Post by medavox »

Berkeley Social Scene
the main vocal sustained opening line sounds horribly out of tune to me, or just an unpleasant timbre. Either way, I don't like it at all.
The chorus feels nicely somewhere between nirvana and the Pixies, which is a good thing to me.
As apparently usual, the band sounds sufficiently tight, well performed, well recorded, well mixed.
Good dynamics to the song structure.
Oh hang on, the timing gets a bit sloppy in the breakdown (after 2:25).
I think I'm overly sensitive to timing.
One of the background guitar tracks sounds offtime in the ending chorus (after and around 3:03)

Brown Word and the Big Whine
Not fond of the singer's voice, sorry.
I like the bass drum in the chorus, and what sounds like keys.
I've gone off heavy rock & Metal-ish stuff over the last 10 years (ignore my old entry/ies), so this is already starting at a disadvantage to me.
The production quality is pretty good. I definitely couldn't do this well.
Probably could fiddle around with reverb and mastering if time was no object, but then I ran out of time myself, so pot kettle black and all that.

Evil Grin
Bluesy female vocal is a minor plus for me, plus it's not more overdriven guitar.
The staccato piano sounds a little lacking in frequencies? not enough high or low end.
Nice vocal harmony decorations.
I really like the spanish-style guitar riff

Glenn Case
Despite what I said about overdriven guitars earlier, the more complex chord progression piques my interest.
I really like the vocal production, sounds really good!
I really like the cohesion of this track, feels like it's successfully pulled off a certain sound or genre.
Would not sound at all out of place on the rock radio station from GTA:San Andreas alongside Sound Garden and Pearl Jam, cruising round the San Francisco stand-in.

Hey wait! It stops suddenly! who took away my K-ROCK!?
If the cutoff is indeed a mistake, I'd like to be able to hear the full version, after voting!

Glennny
Really like the instrumentation in the intro, with all the harmonics and oohs!
The singing skill is a little sub-par, but I also suffer from that affliction.
The rhythm/time signature in the part before the chorus loses me a little. Also a little monotonic.
Oooh judicious use of slide guitar! My favourite.
The song rhythm is somewhat annoying complex in places.
Nah the talkboxy bit doesn't do it for me.

Hot Pink Halo
Weakish voice (like most of us here including me, no offense!), but I like the violin.
And what is that on the bassline? Suits the folksy intro well
Ah here come drums.
I like where this is going, it's building nicely. Good bit of electric guitar to sell it
I'm not normally one to notice or comment on lyrics, but I just want to say I appreciate your hookline. Very topical, very true. You have my condolences.
Song as a whole could maybe have benefitted from more of a dynamic build over time; but then that's one of my personal preferences. Not sure if my own entry shows that.

Kens Super Duper Band n Stuff
Very well mixed all round. The overall mix reminds me of Pink Floyd's Mother (from The Wall)
Ha! your chorus reminds me of mine. I suppose that was always likely to happen, given what I wrote.
I always appreciate that type of supporting synthy keys you have here. Nice!
Makes me think of Suggs singing an 80s Pink Floyd acoustic breakdown song

Medavox
Wish I had more time (and knowledge) to mix this properly; I gave a mini-retrospective in the pre-fight already,
but I'm overall happy with how this turned out, even if I could have done with being a bit more ruthless with cutting vocal takes!

Miscellaneous Owl
Solid track as apparently usual. Nice Sitar, though feels more like just a bit of set decoration than an actual part of the song. Still really cool though!
The timing issues from last week have gone, so thanks for not repeating that!
More dislocation in the lyrics, I notice. Ouch!
My friends loved the part where the tape breaks.
The chorus isn't especially super catchy, but this feels like nice inoffensive radio indie pop song, which is a good thing to me. As is often the case in that genre, the lyrics are darker than the music. You've set yourself a high bar!
That sitar does even sound a little out of place to me.
Could be nice middle-of-the-album track, or a quieter single release after one of the main album singles come out, to keep your hand in the game -- if that was how things work here and now.

Paco Del Stinko
I'm actually really enjoying this twisted storytelling vibe. I haven't listened to much stuff like this in the past, so this and last week's remind me of the B52s
Wasn't expecting such a sweet vocal harmony in the chorus, nice.
Also solidly mixed, like most of these. I need to up my game.
The organ is a great touch, really rounds out the feel.
Not sure those Queen-ish harmonic response vocals actually fit the overall mood, but that ain't my choice.

Phlebia
This smashes the Joy Division Button in my head, which means I LOVE it.
Also reminds me of a band called The Soft Moon, if anyone else likes that genre.
The unforgiving drums, the vocal delivery and reverb, OF COURSE the bass line. Just love it.
Oh look it's getting even more unsettling! Fantastic.

If you like this, you might also want to check out these artists:

The Frozen Autumn
Linea Aspera
Pleasure Symbols
The Soft Moon
Grauzone

Definitely my favourite!

Pig Farmer Jr
The timings goes a bit off early on; then the keys sound a bit clippy.
The vocals are good though.
The track could probably do with more mixing, like mine.
Ooooooh I like that electric guitar.

I'm kind of done with the overall whiny, angsty tone that this song sets up.
But that's because I've listened to a LOT of that kind of music, and I'm older now.
So there's always room for one more nostalgic guilty pleasure.

Oh cool vocal effect near the end, going all 8-bit.

ShoehornTC
This feels like my kind of thing for easy-listening days;
when I don't feel like challenging myself with the music I'm listening to.

Comfortable, very enjoyable! Comforting, even.
Made me thing of Jonathan Coulton, and playing acoustic guitar by the campfire,
outside the beach cabin just after sunset. But that's just me!

Travels With Brindle
I can hear that productiony stuff and a million instrument tracks are not the priority here,
so I'm not going to talk much about the lack of them. Although please know that it does affect how I vote.

Overall a pretty good performance. The ukulele is good with pretty full chords, sounds nicely resonant.
Is it bigger than a concert model?

A few duff sung notes here and there.
I like the chorus; the chords, the lyrics and the vocal melody;
although the chorus sung from 2:27 is a bit out of tune here and there.

Seeing as I'm a bit inobservant of lyrics generally, I think the main effort here is wasted on me.
Reminds me of MXMtoon as a ukulele song about unrequited love. Is GnU considered a thing? I remember "GnG" back in the day. But nothing about this song really stands out to me. It's pretty generic.

Well played, slightly less well sung, but still a pleasant listen.

Vom Vorton
Wow really like the intro. Really well set-up musical landscape.

Not sure how much I've already coloured my own opinion of your vocals with listening to your earlier Cry Me A River covers, but the vocals don't impress. They're not distractingly bad, though.
I'm enjoying the lyrics, which means you've well mixed the vocals prominently. I enjoy the musical texture of this song.

I don't quite get what the verse lyrics are actually ABOUT?

Hmm the bridge is a bit saggy and limp, not very interesting compared to the rest of the song.
I'm liking what is apparently a bit of a build-up towards the end? Oh ok never mind, finished far sooner than I hoped.

WreckDoM
Spooky, man.
The opening lines made my friends blush, lol.
Blatantly a kind of novelty track, given the instrumentation and spoken vocal delivery.
But that's no bad thing, I love it, it's a great implementation of what it is.

WHAT THE FUCK DUDE! hahaha
I wish the vocals were slightly higher in the mix, so I could hear the weird words better!

The sax stabs make it sort of remind me of the BoJack Horseman opening theme, which is good!
Very 50s B movie vibe, yes very American "spooo-oo-ooky" Halloween.
Which is awesome. The Simpson's Kang and Kronos would enjoy this.
The last lines actually made me laugh out loud!

==================

EDIT: second listen for tracks I'm not sure whether to vote for

Vom Vorton The vocals early on do let it down a little bit for me. The bridge isn't as bland as I thought.
Growing through the... oh engines! I thought it was onions the first time.

Paco Del Stinko I can really hear the compression on that guitar track early on. Not sure what that means for me, though...
I just can't decide if I like enough what this track has aimed to accomplish.

===============

Etiquette-wise, is it good, bad or not neither to share who you voted for?
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

medavox wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:03 am

Phlebia
This smashes the Joy Division Button in my head, which means I LOVE it.
Also reminds me of a band called The Soft Moon, if anyone else likes that genre.
The unforgiving drums, the vocal delivery and reverb, OF COURSE the bass line. Just love it.
Oh look it's getting even more unsettling! Fantastic.

If you like this, you might also want to check out these artists:

The Frozen Autumn
Linea Aspera
Pleasure Symbols
The Soft Moon
Grauzone

Definitely my favourite!
I'll point out that I'm personally a fan of The Soft Moon (though I find his songs a bit samey sometimes) and Linea Aspera. Check out Lebanon Hanover and VR Sex if you haven't already, the former lacks the harder edge that I usually go for and the latter is a bit more synthy than my stuff, but both inhabit a fairly similar stylistic space. Other influences of mine would be the early 80s Cure albums and pretty much anything that 4AD put out in 19xx. If you like Linea Aspera check out Deux, Boy Harsher and Figure Study too! :D

Typically I go for live drums in my submissions, but I just HAD to go for the colder, mechanical vibe of old Linndrum sounds on this one. It just fit that nasty, negative darkwave vibe so much better.
medavox wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:03 am
Etiquette-wise, is it good, bad or not neither to share who you voted for?
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Usually my "VOTE!" annotations end up having false positives or false negatives depending on my whims when I actually fill in the form.

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

re: sharing votes - It's neither. I like seeing them but I (almost) never share.. mostly because it often changes from the time I review to the time I actually vote.

medavox
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Western stringed fretted things. And sometimes Cajon
Recording Method: REAPER from now on. Suffered with Audacity too long
Submitting as: medavox, colour of infinity

Post by medavox »

Darkwave! yes that's the genre I would have put it into, if I'd remembered the word. I checked out your bandcamp, and I've not heard of most of the names of [edit: genre] you've given there, so that's definitely plenty to search for.

I've relatively newly returned to this genre (after a spell with Joy Division, Editors and Interpol in my younger years), and hit it harder than I did the first time.

It is definitely hitting the spot for me at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Last edited by medavox on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

medavox wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:54 am
Darkwave! yes that's the genre I would have put it into, if I'd remembered the word. I checked out your bandcamp, and I've not heard of most of the names of you've given there, so that's definitely plenty to search for.

I've relatively newly returned to this genre (after a spell with Joy Division, Editors and Interpol in my younger years), and hit it harder than I did the first time.

It is definitely hitting the spot for me at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendations!
If I had to suggest a single recent album in the genre, I'd tell you to listen to Drab Majesty - The Demonstration. It's probably tied for my favorite album of the decade (up with The Internet - Ego Death, but that's RnB/Soul so not really the same at all).