ToddlerFight!

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

ToddlerFight!

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

<B><FONT COLOR="lightblue">Baby Blue: </FONT>Re-record the first song you ever wrote!</B>
<B><FONT COLOR="pink">Pink: </FONT>Re-record the first song you ever recorded.</B>

<FONT COLOR="#FF0000">Due: </FONT>Monday 04/11/05 9:59am pst </B>
<B>Rules:</B>
1. Absolutely no added or modified lyrics
2. No structural changes to song: same chords, same rhythm, same melody
3. Instrumentation may be added, but not deleted
4. What counts as your first song is up to you. Be honest. (Think grade school)
5. A separate voting topic will be posted shortly after the deadline. It is expected you will provide background info.

<b>optional challenge:
Post your original recording if available, and a scan of your music/lyric sheets. </b>

mp3 with artist's name and song title sent to
<A HREF="mailto:toddlerfight@mbeanis.com">toddlerfight@mbeanis.com</A>

Thanks to Jim of Seattle for the concept!
Last edited by EightLeggedOedipus on Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

What a fantastic idea ! I'm in. I remember it clearly...4 track cassette, cheap drummachine, radio shack highball mic, livingroom. Hiss factory.

Cool!
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I don't really remember it, but I'll try.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Wow, I'm very impressed that you read the old boards and found that. That was a while ago. Thanks for taking this idea up! I have still thought about doing it from time to time. I'm definitely in.

This is your party, but I'll just mention that the original idea was that you could re-record your first ever song, but you could not re-write it. It had to stay essentially the exact same song. The re-recording is supposed to be only because most of us will have much better equipment than we had back then. Rewriting is NOT ALLOWED!

But like I said, it's your gig, so give us some guidelines!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

If I can get my recording set up... well, set up, I'm in for this. It'll be a simple little instrumental piano toss-off, and I remember being intensely proud of it at the time. I was, maybe, sixteen.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

First song ever written. Can I do the first song I ever completed? I had written lots of lyrics back in the day but it wasn't til I put together my first band in JHS that I really finished a song.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

When's the due date, 8-Legs?
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i'm sure i couldn't find the sheet music paper i wrote it on.
but we'll see.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

I think I have mine still on cassette format...it would be pretty cool to hear the originals too...

Whaddya think 8L0? Can we offer up the original recordings if we got 'em? I know mine would be great for a chuckle for sure.

:D
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

This is awesome. I wrote mine in the back of a VW van driving somewhere in western Canada, I think. Summer of '72. Just gotta scratch the head a bit...

As always, I suggest that the owner of this fight (with 8 legs) post updates and status to the first post in the thread for easy reference.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

jimtyrrell wrote:I remember being intensely proud of it at the time. I was, maybe, sixteen.
Ditto. I'm guessing if I look in, you know, that one box in the basement, I could find my original lyric sheet and hand-written piano music. Oddly, as I sit here, I can actually remember an awful lot of the words. This is going back 25-30 years for me.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I'd like to do this, but I got a lot of projects on the go right now... so, I may be in, I may not....
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

There wshould also be a requirement that you tell us
* How old you were when you wrote it
* How you felt about it after having written it
* If there's any meaning behind it (as in: I wrote it for Becky Sue, whom I had a huge crush on after she blew me a kiss during the Halloween carnival)
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Jim of Seattle wrote:There wshould also be a requirement that you tell us
* How old you were when you wrote it
* How you felt about it after having written it
* If there's any meaning behind it (as in: I wrote it for Becky Sue, whom I had a huge crush on after she blew me a kiss during the Halloween carnival)
I was 4.
I don't remember even writing it.
It's the song I used to sing myself to sleep with.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

roymond wrote:As always, I suggest that the owner of this fight (with 8 legs) post updates and status to the first post in the thread for easy reference.
OK, done. Denyer confirmed that the e-mail address is working.
Last edited by EightLeggedOedipus on Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

-sent 5mb
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Got a few questions abotu this, so I've adjusted it to a two-fight format. See main title.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Ooh, I can't wait to hear this :D
Songfighter since back in the day.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man

Post by thehipcola »

Well, my entry hinges on being able to find the cassette with the recording I did of it. Without that, I've got nothing, don't remember the words very well. I guess that's normal for 16 years...(I hope).

The plus is I get to listen to all kinds of cool old cassettes that I have (all of which are unlabeled of course..) :)
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Well this certainly sounds cool. I remember the first song I ever wrote and it was all written on my all-in-one Yamaha keyboard back almost 20 years ago. Jeez I'm feeling old. Sold it though. Needed the cash. I might be able to do it, if I remember the words. Might be somewhere in the recesses of my paperbox, somewhere....... might be a good time to clean the house...... hey wait a minute here are you trying to get us all to clean our houses 8LO?! Talk about alterior motives......... 8)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

One of the first songs I wrote, 'Leena the Cleaner', was when I was 13, over-dubbing on a karoake box with a record function ...

If it wasn't the first, it was the second or third, and certainly the earliest of my songs that I have memory of. Weirdly, although I don't have a recording of it any more, for some reason it has stayed with me in its entireity 'all these years' ...

I re-recorded it this afternoon, trying as hard as possible to stay in the spirit of how I remember it ... (i.e. rather underdeveloped) ... the structure is the same - the bass and the 'string' synth would have been even cheesier presets from the bottom-end-of-the-line yahama keyboard I had at the time, the guitar would have been a line-in electric (my dad's), and the drum machine would have been some cheap Boss probably ...

Lyrically clearly under the inspiration of Robyn Hitchcock who i was getting into, and also I remember around that time I had been reading about the residents in some music magazine, and so may have been an my attempt to sound like I imagined them to sound ...

Leena the Cleaner

I was weird back then, too ....

j$
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

TheHipCola wrote:Well, my entry hinges on being able to find the cassette with the recording I did of it. Without that, I've got nothing, don't remember the words very well. I guess that's normal for 16 years...(I hope).

The plus is I get to listen to all kinds of cool old cassettes that I have (all of which are unlabeled of course..) :)
So glad to know I'm not alone in this regard. I have so many unlableled cassettes, and a growing number of similar type CD's, it's not funny.

In regards to this project, I have a lot of research to do. I'll be honest, I don't specifically recall my "official" first song, probably because it was so forgettable. We'll see what I can come up with, if it doesn't fit the criteria, so be it.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB