Let us all know in your (Expert Opinion reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Let us all know in your (Expert Opinion reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

You ARE going to review, right?
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Let us all know in your (Expert Opinion reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Lyric thread is look pretty threadbare at this point: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11787

sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I'm gonna do em! I cast my votes. I wonder if the huge turnout for Nur Ein depressed turnout this week
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:00 pm
I'm gonna do em! I cast my votes. I wonder if the huge turnout for Nur Ein depressed turnout this week
magic 8-ball says: "Signs point to yes"
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted! (All 8 of them that is. Apparently everybody was busy with Nur Ein. :lol: )
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

3/8 had rapping. That's a way higher percentage than usual! Gaping Maw is my pick for the top spot.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Erm.. first fight in years I didn't submit art for. I feel... disappointed? Like a failure? That I didn't notice until the fight was posted must have said something.

I was definitely one of the "too busy with nur ein" to do much of anything else people.. and being cut in round zero seems like it wasn't worth it. But I like my song well enough so there's that.

crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:31 am
Erm.. first fight in years I didn't submit art for. I feel... disappointed? Like a failure? That I didn't notice until the fight was posted must have said something.

I was definitely one of the "too busy with nur ein" to do much of anything else people.. and being cut in round zero seems like it wasn't worth it. But I like my song well enough so there's that.
I also did not submit art this time, and didn’t even get a song in.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I partially blame Nur Ein, and partially blame the idea for another creative project that I came up with while I was doing my Mythical Creature art entry, so at least I have other things on the go I guess?
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Hopefully Songfight Coverbot is enjoying having a moment in the spotlight!

Had a listen earlier but kept finding myself wanting to dock points from the entries that used drums, Nur Ein has gotten into my head.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

vowlvom wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:50 am
Hopefully Songfight Coverbot is enjoying having a moment in the spotlight!

Had a listen earlier but kept finding myself wanting to dock points from the entries that used drums, Nur Ein has gotten into my head.
Yeah I thought about entering Nur Ein, especially cause I liked the title quite a bit for round 0. But I didn't want to break my consecutive entry streak (25 and counting) , and I really only had time for one entry this week...so regular SongFight it was!

That being said, I'm surprised Paco was the only one who beatboxed, I was expecting more of that. I mean I guess I "beatboxed" in the sense of using a punching bag for a snare drum.

I did mentally dock points when I heard real drums though.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Oh and bonus points to brown word cause the tuba made me really happy.
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:38 am
Oh and bonus points to brown word cause the tuba made me really happy.
Huzzah!
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I made a song for this fight! I truly thought I sent it in on time. I've sent it to the Fightmaster and hope he will add it to the mix.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Ken's song has been added. It's possible you sent it earlier and it disappeared into the ether as was happening occasionally a while ago with the fightmaster inbox.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Hey Smalltown Mike and I made a video for our Gaping Maw entry this week. Props to Smalltown for putting it all together and making it look cool. Lots of time kicking around these days so, VideoFight? haha. Nothing makes you realize how wimpy. your computer is until you have to work on a video project. :)

Anyways - great fight folks. Reviews coming soon. Small fight! I guess Nur Ein is stealing the show... meant to enter this year but missed it. Next year!

sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Brown Word and the Big Whine: Your voice is a little buried in the mix, turn it up! The tuba is a delightful touch. Something about the mix seems a little bit “boomy”, like the guitar seems a little bit too thin and the tuba feels a bit too fat. But then again it’s a tuba so it being fat seems like it’s par for the course. You should play tuba on more songs cause this makes me happy. Your sense of humor is on full display in these lyrics -- you have a particular snarky style in both content and delivery that I find tremendously entertaining.

Gaping Maw: Digital drums -- they actually sound like real drums but I know it’s digitally added, so I don’t know whether or not this fulfills the actual challenge. I say no, but that’s fine because I really enjoyed this tune. The chorus and those high notes and close harmonies sound great. As usual your track has some seriously good production quality. The switch between the rapped/sung bits and the more “euphoric rock” bits works very well. And that solo is awesome. I’m really tired of hearing direct references to Donald Trump in songs -- actually I’m tired of hearing about him in the news too (not much of a fan). I prefer my political statements a bit vaguer. Anyway, this song was really well done!

The Gross Tones: It’d be nice to hear southern accent samples that don’t sound like bumpkins -- being a punchline for the rest of the country gets old. I wish you’d participate in the community but you don’t. My opinion doesn’t matter though cause you’re probably going to win anyway with a number of votes completely disproportionate to the enthusiasm you get in your reviews.

Ken’s Super Duper Band N’ Stuff I should probably have used your first line in my previous review. Oh well. The production in this sounds decent, though it’s a bit flat. The drums and bass feel a little flat to me. But I like that ascending melody line and the guitar that comes in halfway through the first verse is a nice touch. The guitar work in this sounds great, and the slight delay on this sounds great. I like the “no opinion part” quite a bit. I wish the rhythm was a little bit more dynamic. I can’t tell if you’re using melodyne or not but the pitches seem a little bit too perfect?

Paco del Stinko: Okay, I love this. The beatboxing in this is great! My son say he wished it went “boom psss chk chk” instead. He’s obsessed with beatboxing lately but that’s about the only beat he does. I kind of wish the beatboxing came in earlier. The synth in this has this kind of cheesy quality that I really like. That resonance envelope is very pyew pyew pyew. I like the spooky vibes that go on through this, and the weird grammar is a nice touch. Points for the optional challenge!

Phlebia: What would happen if you combined industrial and grime and produced it like blown out soundcloud rap? This, apparently. Is it good? I’m not sure but it was fun to record. Percussion other than that stock FL studio kick was a 5 gallon bucket and a punching bag (the element with the rattling chain).

Sweeney Toad: God yours is at like half half the tempo of mine. A nice respite! The piano in the beat is cool. The high pitched beepy synth reminds me of the ghost tower music from Lavender town in Pokemon. So I’m trying to decipher the line about having the same last name as a Nigerian prince. I’m probably overthinking it. The bit that starts off with the bit about the gothic fetish model has a really good flow, you should keep with this sustained 16th note rhythm more often cause it works well for you. All in all I think I liked your last couple tunes a bit more but this was still a fun listen. Optional challenge met, I think?

Vom Vorton:
Oh I do enjoy tihs a lot. I’m a sucker for 6/8 time. And this song does a good job lyrically of reminding me why I have no desire to engage with Facebook outside of my curated list of special interest groups and messenger. Like you can’t even post anything about current events without a flood of intensity. Engaging performance with a good mix, I have trouble really thinking of anything bad to say about it other than I want to cover it and make it unlistenable and anxious.

WreckdoM: Lyrically this is a cool approach to the title -- a crime scene investigation. Nothing to do with current events or people with crappy opinions. As for the song itself it feels like there’s something kind of missing from the melody. It doesnt’ really have much of a hook and it’s sedate but not in a terribly interesting way. I like the “what does the evidence show?!” The airplane pyew pyew noises are pretty cool. This gets a lot more interesting by the end once you start introducing more elements to the song and vocal layers.

Top 3:
Gaping Maw (reluctantly, you drum user!)
Vom Vorton/Paco (tied)
Brown Word
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Brown Word and the Big Whine: love the tuba! Great way to keep a rhythm going while meeting the optional challenge. Something about the melody and the jangly guitar makes this remind me a little of Kimya Dawson / Moldy Peaches. I don't think they ever used a tuba though so you win. I agree that your vocal should be up in the mix, especially since I particularly like your voice on this track. VOTE!

Gaping Maw: my brain's in full Nur Ein judging mode so I'm finding it hard to take on board the "optional" part of the optional challenge, I want more no-drum songs dammit! This is really well put together as per usual for your various band-member sharing collective acts, I really like the harmonised, super-melodic lead guitar work. I think I've criticised one of the Gaping Maw-adjacent submissions recently for feeling like the multiple vocal styles end up feeling like several songs glued together, this one avoids that pitfall and feels really cohesive despite the different styles you're mashing together here. I've said many times that I have genre-bias related issues with this stuff that I find it hard to get past but I think I've talked myself into a VOTE in this case because this has so many good qualities.

The Gross Tones: pleasant if not particularly stand-out for the most part, the samples give it a bit of a different edge but they also feel overdone. The music has your usual live-jam feel to it which leaves me feeling like you had a good time writing / recording, that comes across when listening which is always nice. I appreciate the lack of wandering keyboard lines too. But I'm missing that hook or notable element (or attempt to write without drums) that would put this over the edge for me.

Ken’s Super Duper Band N’ Stuff: nice guitar chug, excellent use of lead guitar to keep things interesting and I like the vocal melody quite a bit, it feels like there's one note from a slightly unusual scale in the verse melody that works really well. That solo sounds really nice. Few things that keep me from fully going for this one though, the vocals do feel a little awkwardly mixed somehow, like a bit too clean for the rest of the song... and the drums feel a bit too backgrounded, they could use some punchiness OR not to be there at all ;) probably still a VOTE though because it's catchy and enjoyable.

Paco del Stinko: kudos for throwing yourself head-first at the optional challenge! I really like the growl in that synth bass (trying to keep the rhythm going using the bass is what I tried to do, but you did it better) and the beatboxing is really fun. I don't think the melody is as interesting as the arrangement, but after critiquing everyone who did use drums I feel like this one deserves a VOTE for really going for it, even if it wouldn't rank among my top Paco traxxx.

Phlebia: this is wild, and your beeps sound like the noise that my projector makes when we turn it on or off so I keep wondering if my girlfriend's putting a movie on. If it hadn't been for your pre-fight explanation then I'd assume this did have some actual drums in it, you've done a good and creative job putting together a compelling percussion track from your odd sounds! This is definitely too in-your-face to be comfortable listening for me, but then that's not really the point is it? It's super impressive and I'm going to end up VOTING for a lot of people this round aren't I?

Sweeney Toad: this doesn't appeal to me quite as much as your last couple of entries but I'm not entirely sure why that is. Maybe it's because, even though you're obviously satirising a certain kind of character here, it's annoying me hearing their bullshit - which means this is successful on some level, you've really conjured up a nightmare human being here haha.

Vom Vorton: I feel like I could have done a better job having something to keep the rhythm going here, but I wanted to go all-in on the no drums thing, and I've only got keyboard and mouse sounds for topical internet points. I had fun going a bit more dramatic than usual with the vocals and I think the harmonies ended up sounding pretty good. If I get time I might do a remix with some big dramatic orchestral percussion or something (I probably won't).

WreckdoM: I like the surfy guitar sound, although I found myself frequently wishing that it (and the vocals) stuck a bit more tightly to the rhythm that the bass keeps going because this gets pretty sloppy in places. I like the weirdo a capella break. I think I'm almost at a VOTE on this one, I just wish it was a bit tighter so I didn't get distracted from the non-timing-based weirdness.
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

Sweeney Toad: God yours is at like half half the tempo of mine. A nice respite! The piano in the beat is cool. The high pitched beepy synth reminds me of the ghost tower music from Lavender town in Pokemon. So I’m trying to decipher the line about having the same last name as a Nigerian prince. I’m probably overthinking it. The bit that starts off with the bit about the gothic fetish model has a really good flow, you should keep with this sustained 16th note rhythm more often cause it works well for you. All in all I think I liked your last couple tunes a bit more but this was still a fun listen. Optional challenge met, I think?
I think I met the optional challenge, I used beat boxing samples, sub bass, power drills, measuring tapes retracting, and ratchets for percussion and hi-hats and what not. As for the Nigerian prince line it was in reference to those scam emails where you apparently have the same last name as a Nigerian prince and you stand to inherit his fortune. I just always assumed all the people on the internet with their hot take expert opinions are the same people who fall for all those scam/spam emails.
Sweeney Toad: this doesn't appeal to me quite as much as your last couple of entries but I'm not entirely sure why that is. Maybe it's because, even though you're obviously satirising a certain kind of character here, it's annoying me hearing their bullshit - which means this is successful on some level, you've really conjured up a nightmare human being here haha.
lol thanks, that's what I was going for!
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

# Expert Opinion Fight Reviews

Brown Word and the Big Whine: Is that a tuba? Wish the vocals were more easily understand in places. I also wished more interesting production choices had been made - just a straight up guitar and tuba and voice in the middle of the stereo field is pretty uninteresting after awhile. Without any rhythmic elements to move things along (save the tuba), it’s hard to maintain interest in the same 3 sounds for the duration. Loved the tuba though!

Gaping Maw: Thanks for the reviews done and to come! The comments about being tired of hearing anything Trump related - I hear you and agreed. That said - the title just lent itself too well to not pick that low-hanging fruit. Ha. RE: drums in contravention of the optional challenge - didn’t seem to fit the song that was taking shape so we opted out of the optional. We did, however, leave the drumming footage out of the video. Compromise?

The Gross Tones: I think you could have left the samples out off the top and in the middle - doesn’t seem to add much to the song. Well, except for the toilet paper vs garden hose comment LOL. The song is pretty solid otherwise… I’d prefer to have the guitar more of the central driving chord machine than the piano. I liked the lyrics - nice job.

Paco del Stinko: I feel like I say this every time - but right away I know it’s a PdS track. Your music is very distinct! Noted optional challenge workaround - extra point. I dig that synth bass a lot. The chorus is great.

Phlebia: Another optional challenge workaround. Nice - the dirty version of Money. I like that your voice isn’t overly screamed - it’s a nice contrast to the wicked thing going on behind it. This reminds me of a Songfighter I did a remix of a million years ago. 2003 actually - wow - I’m old. Jute Gyte was his name. Driving was the track. (His track, not my remix). Anyways - digression. Great tune - initially thought it was a one trick pony but by the end I was into it full on. Possible vote.

Sweeney Toad: this is really entertaining. Great lyrics/ramble. At times I couldn’t quite make out what you’re rapping but at those moments I was digging the weird AF groove in the background so it all worked out. Great track!

Vom Vorton: “I fire out an update saying I have nothing to share. “ One of the best lyrics of the fight - poignant. Really dig this. Too many uses of minion in this fight though. :). I like the keyboard clacks as percussion here and there.. nice. The gentle arp in the b/g moving things along is a subtle but nice touch. Definitely getting a vote.

WreckdoM: I dig that backing music - nice change at 1:03 ish. The atonal singing is hard to follow along - but whatevs. I like it better when the singing stops and the narration starts. The “beat box” is giggle-worthy. Can’t say I always get it - but I always enjoy Wreckdom!

Ken’s Super Duper Band n’ Stuff

Nice - great vocals! I like the melody climbing at the beginning of the lines - nice touch. I want to hear those drums rock harder in the mix - but it’s well balanced all around. Solo is a bit loud - but it’s a good one! Good track! I’ll vote for this too.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The Gross Tones win!