Music from the stacks

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Music from the stacks

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:29 am
Caravan Ray wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:45 am
crumpart wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:23 am
For a number of reasons this week I looked up Sherbet’s ‘70s hit Howzat, which I haven’t listened to for one billion years, and Jesus Christ that outfit is something, Daryl Braithwaite.

The outfit could have been worse. He could have been wearing cricket whites and a Dennis Lillee moustache. Which would have been really creepy in the context of the song, where I picture him hiding in the cupboard watching his significant other having sex with someone else - and he jumps out with his finger up going "Ha ha! Howzat!!! Gotcha!!! Back to the pavilion for you!!" Or something like that....
It’s my goal in life to find footage of this now. I’d bet money that they dressed up in whites at some point.
yep. Pretty sure it was on the original “video”. It was probably one of the first actual “music videos” made by an Australian band. The Sherbs were sort of pioneers at that as I recall.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Holy heck. In one of the videos Daryl is wearing a silk bathrobe over a pair of flares, and the clav player is wearing a top made out of a confederate flag. We’re sorry, USA. Australians in the 70s didn’t know what that meant.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:50 am
Holy heck. In one of the videos Daryl is wearing a silk bathrobe over a pair of flares, and the clav player is wearing a top made out of a confederate flag. We’re sorry, USA. Australians in the 70s didn’t know what that meant.
LOL!! Are you old enough to to remember Axiom? Brian Cadd and Glenn Shorrock - a couple of poms living in Melbourne pretending to be Americans singing about “Arkansas Grass”
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:55 am
crumpart wrote:
LOL!! Are you old enough to to remember Axiom? Brian Cadd and Glenn Shorrock - a couple of poms living in Melbourne pretending to be Americans singing about “Arkansas Grass”
oops. Apologies to Caddy. He’s from Perth. Only Shorrock was a Pom.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

I know a couple of songs, and I definitely know Glenn Shorrock’s name, but they seem a little before my time (born in 79).
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

The Mysterious Cities of Gold was one of my favourite cartoons growing up. I remember literally running home to watch it. If you were a fan as a kid, I recommend not revisiting as an adult; I believe I described the one female character as a "handbag" when we rewatched it, but the soundtrack is still flipping awesome.

crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

So for the past three days I’ve been doing the Push For Better challenge, where the goal is to do 3046 push-ups over the next three weeks. 3046 because that’s how many Australians died from suicide in 2018. This year our team is called AhPushIt because myself and my friend who gets us to do this every year were teenage girls in the 90s and Salt-n-Pepa were our monarchs.

Today’s goal was 155 push-ups, and this was the Push For Better mental health fact for the day:
MENTAL HEALTH FACT
An estimated 15.5%, of young LGBTIQA+ Australians have made a non-fatal suicide attempt at some point in their lives. Among trans people, that number rises to almost 50%. By this measure, the LGBTIQA+ population is the most over-represented group in the country.

The driving factors behind these devastating rates of mental ill-health amongst LGBTIQA+ Australians are not well studied. However, we do know that LGBTIQA+ people continue to face high rates of discrimination and stigma from a young age. About 60% of LGBTIQA+ young people report experiencing verbal homophobic abuse, and about 80% of this abuse occurs at school. Living with discrimination and stigma has a substantial impact on levels of psychological distress and can make it harder to seek help when it’s needed.

If you need support, you can find some here:

https://headtohealth.gov.au//supporting ... expression

http://headtohealth.gov.au/supporting-y ... /sexuality
If you want to chuck some money to Headspace in Australia, feel free to do so through my push-up page here. I know it looks like I haven’t done my whole three days of push-ups yet, but I have, I promise! 461 so far! The tracker wasn’t working for the first couple of days so the totals aren’t up to date yet.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Wow you are a beast. And for a good cause!
I can barely do any pushups at all, I was always getting yelled at in PE.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

crumpart wrote:
Living in Georgia - the meaning down is still up for debate. Some people use it for white supremacy. But I've also seen black people wearing it as a southern pride thing. I personally don't see how you can extract it from the battle over slavery, but...apparently some people do? I don't understand it. Seems counterintuitive to me, but this entire region is counterintuitive.

But in the 70s? It pretty much mean "the Dukes of Hazzard is an awesome TV show and Freebird is a great song!"
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Fun video! We just learned that song a few weeks ago, early on in shelter-in-place, because of the "queen of corona" line. :lol:
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

crumpart wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:37 pm
CRYING
I love this little girl! this is so dang cute!!!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I was listening to a ton of Paul Simon a few weeks ago and watching a lot of interviews etc., on youtube. Not exactly the lyric for Sesame Street but it's a fun melody. That girl smiling was cute as heck. But I just wanna go back to late 70's Paul Simon and tell him to get a hair cut.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang