Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Four "Carte Blanche"

Post by Lunkhead »

True story, my first job in CA was for a startup that was trying to make an online municipal bond trading exchange, circa 2000-2002. Hope that helps, Frank! :lol:
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

What were the themes like? Did you have a lot of design issues with the color palettes
AbCred
A New Player
Instruments: guitar, bass
Recording Method: Reason 12
Submitting as: John Gillespie, JTTJ, Absolutely Credible, and others in the distant past

Post by AbCred »

crumpart wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:14 pm
I desperately want to write The Best Ever Death Metal Bond Out Of Denton now. Genius.
Yo I live in Denton TX and I can assure you, Dentonites would love to hear this!
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

This is the only correct bond theme for this round.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sZB7sO5ZoV8
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

owl wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:39 pm
“Bond” is referring to James Bond, a famous book and movie character. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.
Yes, I understand that. But the Bond movie songs are basically just songs written in the style of the performers who made them. The Duran Duran song could have been on any of their albums. The Adele song sounds like Adele. Chris Cornell sounds like Chris Cornell. Like what are the characteristics of a “Bond theme”? Do you see some common thread that I’m missing?
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Are we supposed to incorporate the actual Bond theme song?
Lucky Spoon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: B-b-b-b-bass
Recording Method: Alesis io|26, Reaper, Rode NT, Pixies
Submitting as: Lucky Spoon, Rabbit vs Table

Post by Lucky Spoon »

frankie big face wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:51 pm
My take, given the bond theme song playlist, is that every bond movie has a theme song. There are just more popular ones that we'd consider *the* bond theme song. Each theme song is more or less about the movie it's associated with. In this case, the bond movie is Carte Blanche, and you're writing a theme song for that movie. You get to decide what the movie is about, who's playing bond, maybe the villian? Give it a theme, give a plot... and then give it a theme song!

or not, i'm not a judge or even writing a song for that matter. 'bout to fire up some diablo 3 over here.
Apollo14... Keeping mooses safe since 1992. Full album here

Sneaky Bear Music Video - He's just a #SneakyBear
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Lucky Spoon wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:17 pm
frankie big face wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:51 pm
My take, given the bond theme song playlist, is that every bond movie has a theme song. There are just more popular ones that we'd consider *the* bond theme song. Each theme song is more or less about the movie it's associated with. In this case, the bond movie is Carte Blanche, and you're writing a theme song for that movie. You get to decide what the movie is about, who's playing bond, maybe the villian? Give it a theme, give a plot... and then give it a theme song!

or not, i'm not a judge or even writing a song for that matter. 'bout to fire up some diablo 3 over here.
Except there is a Bond book called “Carte Blanche” so the story is already written. I guess I haven’t paid very close attention to the lyrics of these songs but I don’t really think each theme song is “more or less about the movie.” I’ll give some closer listens, I guess. This is kind of a dumb challenge, imo.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

Generic wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 pm
You know, "Carte Blanche" is from the French for "blank check." And a bond is a financial instrument as well. I'm wondering whether anyone will have the chutzpah to try out that alternate take on the title/challenge.
Children are a blank check and it's up to us to determine how much they pay off. Maybe just re-submit Chupacabra?
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

frankie big face wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:42 pm
But the Bond movie songs are basically just songs written in the style of the performers who made them.
frankie big face wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:34 pm
Except there is a Bond book called “Carte Blanche” so the story is already written.
So write a song in the style of Frankie Big Face which is inspired by the book Carte Blanche.

As Ujnhunter's post is evidence of, there are loads guides on what musical tricks bond songs traditionally incorporate, so they'll help with your musical direction. The irony in your apparent bewilderment about this challenge is that I have no doubt you'll write/perform/record a better song than me.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

That "How To Write a Bond Theme" video was not as good as I was hoping it be. It was basically just "have a rising chromatic three note motif". That should have been like a minute of a longer video going into other commonalities.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

Frank, if you don’t write a song in French, you have failed.
You have the opportunity to make history here.

Plus nobody will care what it’s about.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Sure, I’m not going to win Nur Ein being that I was eliminated in Round Zero, but now feels like a good time to mention that, twenty years ago, I won a Nintendo 64 at our work Bond-themed Christmas party, where I was the only person who turned up in head to toe gold paint. I gave the Nintendo to my little brother.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I will do my best! (Only slightly sarcastic, I promise)

But I will not be reading a James Bond book, furrypedro. That I will not.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

frankie big face wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:02 am
But I will not be reading a James Bond book, furrypedro. That I will not.
Wikipedia, my friend. Wikipedia.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Blanche_(novel)
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Generic wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 pm
You know, "Carte Blanche" is from the French for "blank check."
I don't think it is. The French word for check is "chèque". A more faithful translation is "white card" or "blank paper".
On donnait ainsi à l’ennemi une grande feuille de papier vierge sur laquelle il pouvait écrire ses exigences.
Meaning: you gave the enemy a large blank sheet of paper on which they could write their demands.

The result, of course, is the same, but the origin is not from an actual check.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I sure wish I'd known that there was an actual Bond novel titled Carte Blanche before I wrote my lyrics, but, hey, c'est la vie.

I'm a little surprised that Frank apparently can't hear the commonalities among James Bond movie themes. It's true that most of them are in the style of the person or band performing them, but I don't think these songs sound like typical songs by these performers. "View to a Kill" has many hallmarks of that Duran Duran sound, but I think it would sound pretty out of place on a Duran Duran album.

Some running throughlines I observed...
  • Every single one has full orchestration with string and brass sections.
  • Most of them use some form of either augmented or diminished chords.
  • They're all quite melodramatic, and make frequent use of words like "live," "die," and "kill."
  • Many of them focus on the lead vocal performance, including a difficult melody with lots of space for the vocalist to belt.
  • All but a few of them take their titles from the movie, or at least use it in the song's lyrics.
I know at this point we're late in the week, but those observations gave me plenty to go on for this challenge. Good luck to all!

NUR EIN!!!!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Generic wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:00 am
I sure wish I'd known that there was an actual Bond novel titled Carte Blanche before I wrote my lyrics, but, hey, c'est la vie.

I'm a little surprised that Frank apparently can't hear the commonalities among James Bond movie themes. It's true that most of them are in the style of the person or band performing them, but I don't think these songs sound like typical songs by these performers. "View to a Kill" has many hallmarks of that Duran Duran sound, but I think it would sound pretty out of place on a Duran Duran album.

Some running throughlines I observed...
  • Every single one has full orchestration with string and brass sections.
  • Most of them use some form of either augmented or diminished chords.
  • They're all quite melodramatic, and make frequent use of words like "live," "die," and "kill."
  • Many of them focus on the lead vocal performance, including a difficult melody with lots of space for the vocalist to belt.
  • All but a few of them take their titles from the movie, or at least use it in the song's lyrics.
I know at this point we're late in the week, but those observations gave me plenty to go on for this challenge. Good luck to all!

NUR EIN!!!!
Thanks Jon, that's helpful. I just don't feel like reading a book or listening to an entire playlist of crappy songs over and over again when I just want to write a song. You saved me the time and trouble. I'd personally rather spend that time actually writing a song. Next week, we'll have to summarize the collected works of Proust. But only use two instruments.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

P.S. You are right about one thing. These songs wouldn't appear on normal albums by these artists. Because they all suck and would be cut. The Duran Duran song is a good example. The Garbage song is another good example. There are many.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

frank, as the only actual composer in the field (as far as I know) you ought to be able to own this challenge.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

frankie big face wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:21 pm
P.S. You are right about one thing. These songs wouldn't appear on normal albums by these artists. Because they all suck and would be cut. The Duran Duran song is a good example. The Garbage song is another good example. There are many.
You'll get no argument from me on that, Frank. I actually wrote that and then erased it... Most of them just aren't very good! I'd say two or three of these are all time classics (jury's still out on Adele, but I think hers may stand the test of time), and the rest range from actively awful to just okay. I figured we wouldn't want to model that part of it. :lol:
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages