Nur Ein XV Round Six "Homestretch"

There can be only one.
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Re: Nur Ein XV Round Six "Homestretch"

Post by iVeg »

@JonEric: Cool perspective in your lyrics. Congrats on doing so well this year.

Myself: Whine whine whine :)
facebook.com/ivegband
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

iVeg wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 pm
@JonEric: Cool perspective in your lyrics. Congrats on doing so well this year.

Myself: Whine whine whine :)
Hey, thank you!

Might as well do the "liner notes" thing since you brought it up. When I saw the title "Homestretch" and the challenge (and assumed for the fourth straight week that I was due for the executioner's axe), I thought to myself "I kind of hope I do get eliminated, so I don't have to work on this song."

I had almost instantly stumbled upon the emotional truth of the song I wanted to write: When you get to the home stretch, you're haunted by the temptation to call it "good enough" and just quit, or at least phone it in, because you're exhausted. I've personified that urge as a child trying to throw off your running pace. This is where the challenge comes in, as well - the polyrhythms all come in after the refrain of "He's trying to break my stride." The first two choruses each have a couple bars of one ratio, followed by another couple bars of a different ratio. The final chorus has a huge four-layered polyrhythm that is so dense it doesn't even register as "throwing off the beat" anymore, signifying a breakthrough. I'm especially proud of my integration of title and challenge this week. The song itself? Well, that remains to be seen. I still have 48 hours and 37 minutes before it's due, and it looks like I'm using ALL of it. 8-)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise
Pronouns: he/him

Post by lichenthroat »

Wow, I'm a whole day early! This was an interesting challenge and made me create a song that I don't think I ever would have made otherwise. Thanks to the judges for a good idea.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I've attempted polyrhythms before and totally failed, but I think this time around I've kinda gotten the hang of it. This was a fun song to make, either way!
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: seemanski

Post by seemanski »

My first instinct for this was to think, what would tool do? I then realised that I only had 5 days and not 5 years to write a track, so slapped a 3/4 riff under a 6/4 riff and hoped for the best. I think it turned out ok, not particularly happy with my vocals in parts but sod it, it is a song and a chance to try something new.

Good luck to all that still remain, looking forward to listening what everyone cooks up, this was an interesting challenge.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

In. I think I used polyrhythms. I read so much though that now I'm confused and don't really know anymore.

It's about the solstice and how I'm still not used to living somewhere that doesn't technically get night time right now, among other things. Co-written by Emily Dickinson, W.H. Auden, Baudelaire, Percy Bysshe Shelley and Shakespeare.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

The original PBS!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Our polyrhythms happen in instrumental melodies in intro/pre-chorus/outro, and in the main vocal melody near the end of the chorus. We're doing 4/4, with the polyrhythm in 1/4 note triplets over everything else playing straight. I think that's 3 against 2 ... ???
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Mine is submitted. I'm not sure if anyone other than iVeg checks the lyrics prior to listening, but I did make some small adjustments to mine after I posted them.

There are three polyrhythm sections in my piece. The pulses are played on a drum machine hand clap sound, with the different rhythms panned to opposing sides at different distances. The first section starts out with a 3:4 rhythm, then switches to 5:7. The second starts with a 5:3 rhythm, then switches to 7:4. The third throws all the ratios together, so it's 3:4:5:7 for the duration.

I recommend you listen with the volume up high, preferably while exercising or driving.

NUR EIN!!!!!!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Got a shadow sent in--I did 99% of the writing and recording this evening and had barely any time to mix, so it's kind of a mess and it just kinda stops at the end, but I thought it was a fun exercise and hopefully all the contestants/shadows did too :)
truth
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Cavedwellers, Yardley Social Scene, Katy & the Dwellers, Tindersoot, Mandibles

Post by truth »

Cavedwellers are in with a song about betting your life on someone romantically. Anyone who has thrown their money away trying to roll a hard four will know how slim those odds are.
Our protagonist is under no illusions.

In this song, we open with a trademark Cavedweller kotekan, with one guitar part in 4/4 and another in 6/8, eighths being equal. The verse melody is in 3/8 against a 4/4 accompaniment, and a guitar in verse two is also in triple time. The chorus guitar riff is in 5/8 against 4/4 drums, but the vocal melody is in plain 5/4. The bridge melody is in quarter note triplets against the 4/4 accompaniment.

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s songs!
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Quick first impressions. Disclaimer - I only listened once, and I'm very tired. I miss things. Opinions are subject to change in the clear light of day.

Cavedwellers - This might be the best lyrics I've heard from you this year... Or possibly ever? A couple of the transitions were a little awkward, but the solos are pretty facemelting.

Frankie - This is atmospheric and moody. I feel like it's building to something that never quite comes. On the other hand, it's late at night and I only listened once. Good chance this song grows on me when I listen more.

Jon - I'm too close to this. Someone will have to tell me what sucks about it.

Max - I love that triplet groove. It sets you up for those massive guitar riffs which are basically your trump card. You swung big with the space opera concept; let's see if it works!

Moss Palace - I adore this so much. Easily my favorite Moss Palace song this year (so far). It's got a real classic-rock vibe, like something from the Rolling Stones in the 70s. This is my favorite song from this round, with my one caveat being that the challenge implementation is a little slight. Other than that, easily top of the heap for me this week.

I haven't listened to shadows yet.

sailingmagpie
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: The Serviettes, chewmeupspitmeout
Pronouns: He/him

Post by sailingmagpie »

Some liner notes for my shadow:

I wanted to write about the world entering the homestretch before its destruction and thought it would be cool to try to cram the whole of human history into a three minute song. Unfortunately, a) I've been really busy with work this week, so didnt have much time and b) it's actually really hard to do!

I wanted the music to start at one tempo and gradually accelerate towards the end but I couldn't get this to sound halfway decent, so scrapped that idea.

Overall, I think there are a few good ideas that I could take from this but it feels a bit thrown together, I'm afraid. Hopefully I bring my A game next week!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Generic wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:26 pm
Frankie - This is atmospheric and moody. I feel like it's building to something that never quite comes. On the other hand, it's late at night and I only listened once. Good chance this song grows on me when I listen more.
Thanks for the quick listen and comments, Jon. It’s interesting you should say my song kind of builds up to nothing because I actually had a whole grand ending thing that I abandoned. The pessimist in me decided it was better to let the fate of this man remain unknown. He is seeking redemption but does he achieve it?

I agree this is a song that may get better after repeated listens and I’m hoping with only five songs, it may get several. It was a hard song to do and I never quite achieved the mix I wanted (which probably would have been less appealing to most people anyway). It’s a risky song this late in the competition but it’s what I had this week. 🤷‍♂️
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Hey, Mandibles sent in a shadow just before midnight, but I’m not seeing it in the line up. Did it get left off?
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Cybronica wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:36 am
Hey, Mandibles sent in a shadow just before midnight, but I’m not seeing it in the line up. Did it get left off?
FIXED.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Niveous wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:31 am
Cybronica wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:36 am
FIXED.
Thank you!!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

I've updated the zip.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

vowlvom wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:03 am
I've updated the zip.
Thanks for doing this - it makes the LPs go much smoother!
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

Do you also fix jacket zippers? I have a problem with my old brown bomber
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

mo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:15 pm
Do you also fix jacket zippers? I have a problem with my old brown bomber
Mo, I think you might want to consult a professional about that issue.
Proctologist, perhaps?

Edit: I'm assuming you have 2 separate issues here...
Last edited by BoffoYux on Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.