Unsaddle the horse and write your (Golfpunk Rides Again reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Unsaddle the horse and write your (Golfpunk Rides Again reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Go ahead and stay awhile... I'm sure we've got another twenty years in us.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Unsaddle the horse and write your (Golfpunk Rides Again reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please be polite and post your lyric here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11832

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

For the record that's two separate requests... 1) be polite and 2) post your lyric
:twisted:

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I mean, posting your lyrics IS polite...
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Oh wow, I think Sockpuppet has won this one. :lol: Shoulda ended that song with a mic drop.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:06 pm
Oh wow, I think Sockpuppet has won this one. :lol: Shoulda ended that song with a mic drop.
Oh yes. That's great, well played!
.sig
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I can pretty much guarantee I'll have spent more time on these reviews than on my song. Also I am self-medicating my pain right now (i.e. high af).

Phlebia: The intro had me worried that this was going to be some weird and annoying attempt at doing noise-art somethingorother, but then it really kicks into gear as a rather impressively energetic, frenetic punk-rock thing. It has tones of State Shirt in the chorus, too. I am really grooving to it, just wish the vocals were a bit easier to understand. Maybe notch EQ the vocals out from the drums? Also the mix as a whole is incredibly treble-heavy, which I kind of like but it also grates after a while.

Also that bridge section sounds like an homage to Nick Bellando's original entry, which makes me smile whether that was intentional or not.

Anyway mix issues aside I love this one so it gets a (v)

Jeff DeSantis: Nice solid opening, good crisp mix. Those drums sound very rigid, might benefit from a bit of humanization if they're MIDI/programmed/whatever. This is another treble-heavy mix, could use a bit more midrange, although the bass levels are pretty good. Nothing really felt that surprising musically but it's a good solid track that wouldn't be out of place on mainstream country radio I think. I dunno, I don't listen to the radio anymore.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff: Pretty solid composition on this one, good clear vocals with really good singing and harmony. Ken your singing has improved so heckin' much over the last two decades, it's amazing. (v)

Pigfarmer Jr: This feels a little too meta to me and the lyrics are a bit repetitive, but I like the chord progression and the energy. The mix on this feels a little bit overcompressed and it kind of fatigues my ears. I think easing off on the compressor and increasing the vocals around, say, 200-400Hz or so would do a lot to balance the mix out somewhat.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: oh wow this makes me think a lot of the Hell Yeahs from back in the day, and also the B-52s. Please turn up the vocals a little bit! (And give them a bit more bass/midrange!) Otherwise the mix is pretty decently clear, and the vocals are surprisingly audible even though they feel low to me. The ending feels kinda abrupt to me, leaving me wanting a bit more. I'm on the fence on this one.

Lichen Throat: This is like a weird inside-out version of a song from a John Hughes 80s movie, like he had Bauhaus make something up on the spot while they're all on quaaludes. I'd like to hear this played on guitars and with less-atonal vocals.

Caravan Ray: Caravan Ray does synths. Hey I recognize those drummer presets! (like i'm one to talk) I um... I want to like this as a piece of dada-esque weird noise art but it's not really doing it for me. I'm glad you didn't end up using all 937-or-whatever titles, that would have been too long.

WreckdoM: Just gonna say it, this is I think the first time in 20 years I'm gonna vote for WreckdoM. Something about this just makes me very nostalgic for times gone by. Maybe that's just the point I'm at with the THC absorption. (v)

The Pannacotta Army: Oh gosh I love this, great sound, love the reggae style, the vocal melodies and harmonies are just like very ear-tickly to me, wish there were a liiiiiiittle bit more treble on the vocals (maybe +2dB around 1200Hz?) but otherwise this is lovely, (v)

Sockpuppet: god those stock loops are so annoying play a real instrument you fuckin poser
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Did I mess up my file name? I guess I did. Could y'all change mine to "Phlebia feat. Sweeney Toad"? He contributed the first verse and second bridge.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 am
Did I mess up my file name? I guess I did. Could y'all change mine to "Phlebia feat. Sweeney Toad"? He contributed the first verse and second bridge.
Doh! It's only partly your mistake because, yes, you did not name the file phlebiafeatsweeneytoad_gra.mp3. It's also partly my mistake because you did specify "Phlebia feat. Sweeney Toad" as the band name in your email, and I only paid attention to the filename. I'll fix it when I have a chance.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

fluffy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:45 pm
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff: Pretty solid composition on this one, good clear vocals with really good singing and harmony. Ken your singing has improved so heckin' much over the last two decades, it's amazing. (v)
Thank you. It has (I took voice lessons for a while), as has my use of auto-tune (Cubase makes it so easy). I also think one of the things that has really improved my vocals is that I now pick out my vocal melodies (on guitar or keys), make sure they make sense. That way I know what I'm shooting for rather than just winging it. Sometimes I even go so far as to make a MIDI guide track to sing along with. 20 years ago, that would have been much more difficult for me.

I know my song is really simple this week, but that is what came out, so I just went with it. Lunkhead played the lead guitar in the intro and later choruses.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Old School Reviews!

Sockpuppet: Nice farty opening bass. I like the funk. It’s got a Zappa feel to it. Especially with the title background vocals. And I like the dirty guitar lead. The spoken word is fine but I’m not really following along with the whole ‘story”. But the mix is nice and sounds good. I liked it.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: Yeah, I’m digging this. Good Runaways vibe to the mix. I dig the singer and her passion and conviction. The mix is tight, a bit muddy (but that’s ok here). I loved the little bass solo breakdown part. Sweaty basement rock. I liked it.

Caravan Ray: Definitely not what I was expecting from you. Where’s the funny guy and guitar? haha, I just realized you strung all the song titles together for the lyrics, at one point chronologically. Shreds gave it away. Well done. Lyrically great song was kind of meh.

Pigfarmer Junior: I dig the Skynyrdness of this. This is pretty good. I love the dirty guitar and nice leads. Great tone on that guitar. I liked it.

Phlebia: It’s mostly a hot metal mess. But I’m sure the right crowd would love it. It’s got a lot of energy! This would have fit in great if you had put it out in the early to mid nineties and you lived in the Pacific Northwest. It actually grows on me and I like it much more as it plays out. Nice job.

KSDBNS: Typically well produced and poppy. Can you be poppy in a minor key? Ken can! Ken does Morrissey! Enjoyable. Well done.

Lichen Threat: And more Cure like guitar and reverb. Drums sound off sometimes but sometimes they don’t. Same with the vocals. Got kind of monotonous after a while. Not my thing but wait, did you just say Santa Cruz?

The Pannacotta Army: Reggae! Love this. Great production and execution. Like vintage Waliers backing up the singer. Love that organ too. Catchy and hooky, great chorus and break. This is pretty awesome. Best so far.

Jeff Desantis: Pretty good. Everything is well played and sung. Good song.

Wreckdom: haha, it’s been a while since I listened to you guys. I’d still like to see you guys live someday. It’s weird and disturbing and mostly hard to listen to but you guys have stayed true to yourselves from day one so much respect.
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 am
This should be fixed now.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Beautiful, thank you! Yeah working with Sweeney Toad was super fun this week! And as for the "early/mid 90s hot metal mess" : yes, exactly, someone's gotta bring those vibes back, ha. I was going for like a hed(pe) or incubus 1997 vibe.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

man where are the reviews folks

this is the TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY FIGHT this whole thread should be rockin' and sockin'
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

I'm sitting outside in my backyard listening on my laptop speakers...

Brown Word and the Big Whine:
This track totally fits the title. Guitar sounds good, but I wish I could hear the drums better. Vocals are good and up front, but maybe just a little loud and dry. I'm not sure how this section that breaks down to guitar and spoken word fits into the song. The song just kind of ends and I wish it had a climax or actual ending.

Caravan Ray:
Is this a collaboration with the DeepOrb? I'm expecting pub rock from Caravan Ray! I like the dancey beat, but can't make out much else. Oh, now the title is being repeated. Okay, this section has promise. This track seems kind of slapped together at the last minute. You can do better.

Jeff DeSantis:
I like the classic rock vibe of this right away. This reminds me of a song about cruising up PCH with the top down. The refrain, "I'm a punk and I know it" is a good hook. Very cool. Vote!

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff:
Yeah, I wrote a song too. It's simple and catchy. I had fun layering the harmonies. Lunkhead's guitar on the intro and choruses made it better.

Lichen Throat:
Do people compare you to Marcus Kellis enough? The vocals seem out of time with the music, but either individually seem good. They just don't seem to quite fit together. Are you one guy or a group? Lyrically, this song is pretty well informed about golf for a song about how uninterested the narrator is in golf. Was the guitar MIDI the whole time?

The Pannacotta Army:
Hello! Love this upbeat jam. Vocals are a little low, so hard to make out. I like that you went in this direction instead of punk, like the title would suggest. Organ flourishes are nice.

Phlebia:
Cool intro into a badass groove. Oh, this went a little more 90s rap metal than I was expecting. There are a lot of good elements in this song. I'm just having a hard time hearing everything at once. Maybe the vocals are a little too low, or the band mix is a little too muddy, or maybe there is just one too many elements in the mix. I like the vocal harmonies in the chorus. This song is too long. We just didn't need the scratching solo and final choruses.

Pigfarmer Jr:
Nice bluesy opening riff. I like the lyrics/idea behind this song. Way to celebrate songfight history! This song has a good groove, but at times it is loose to the point of being sloppy in a bad way. Maybe you could have tightened up the vocal delivery a bit more?

Sockpuppet:
Seriously, everybody knows a Gary or Greg. This is also a good take on the title. The backing track is interesting and sounds good. Did you play anything or is it all samples and loops?

WreckdoM:
More spoken word storytelling? I always think about the Butthole Surfers when I hear Wreckdom, and this falls into that category. Why is the vocalist singing so high in the choruses? I like a lot of the elements in this song. I wish I could hear the guitar better, and where is the theremin?!?!?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Weren't rap metal songs *always* too long?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

ken wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm
Sockpuppet:
Seriously, everybody knows a Gary or Greg. This is also a good take on the title. The backing track is interesting and sounds good. Did you play anything or is it all samples and loops?
Sadly it's all loops. I wanted to record my own parts of course (and I have a much better arrangement in my head) but fibromyalgia is having other plans for me right now. Although for what it's worth I did all the vocals first (including the backing vocals) and then arranged the loops around it. I didn't even have a pitch reference when I sang!
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Gary.jpg
Gary.jpg (106.17 KiB) Viewed 3091 times

lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Brown Word and the Big Whine—I think this is my favorite of your songs. Maybe add a section of double-time drums somewhere, but otherwise don’t change a thing. Great punk spirit.

Caravan Ray—This belongs on Welcome to the Pleasuredome. Frankie Say Golf. I like the panned whiney guitars. I’m not sure you need the slower parts, but this is a fun song.

Jeff DeSantis—Lyrics are a highlight. This sounds like a light-hearted closing track on a late-era classic rock album. Thumbs up.

Ken’s Super Duper Band ’n Stuff—Lyrics are good; I like the shot/clubs part. The music is good too, especially the bridge. Everything sounds good. Nice song.

Lichen Throat (me)—I had more trouble than usual coming up with a vocal melody after I had written the music. I don’t feel like this came together very well overall. The outro is by far the best part, which is a little sad.

The Pannacotta Army—I like how the smoothness of your voice meshes with the reggae instruments. Nice lyrics. The subtleties of your vocal delivery are great, even though the music is not quite my style.

Phlebia feat. Sweeney Toad—I had this on in my car when I picked up my groceries today, and man, did I feel cool when the delivery guy came over. I’m not sure I understand exactly what you’re going for, but I nevertheless feel that you succeeded. Your vocal delivery sounds really confident on this one.

Pigfarmer Jr—Your voice sounds unusually buried and thin in the mix. I like your lyrical take, and I like that this song seems a little more adventurous in its composition.

Sockpuppet—This is executed really well. The story is funny and thought provoking. The end seems too abrupt, both musically and conceptually, but otherwise you nailed it. The vocal delivery is perfect for this.

WreckdoM—Funny as usual; “every Troy and Chad” is a great line. I had trouble getting into the music, though.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

ken wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm
Lichen Throat:
Do people compare you to Marcus Kellis enough? The vocals seem out of time with the music, but either individually seem good. They just don't seem to quite fit together. Are you one guy or a group? Lyrically, this song is pretty well informed about golf for a song about how uninterested the narrator is in golf. Was the guitar MIDI the whole time?
This series of questions is very funny. Here are the answers:
  • I hadn't listened to Marcus Kellis until right now, but I see what you mean.
  • My wife always says the same thing about the vocal not matching the music. I hope I'll someday have an epiphany and get better at it.
  • I'm one guy.
  • I played golf a lot in high school and then realized that I didn't like it. I haven't played since 1994.
  • All the instruments are sampled.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Brown Word and the Big Whine: For the most part I’m enjoying the energy in this one. But there’s something about it that isn’t (quite) sitting right with me. Maybe it’s where I feel like it sort of starts losing a bit of steam...like by the 3rd verse it already starts to feel overlong. The garage reggae inflicted bit imo would have worked better structurally if it came after the second verse or something. Basically it just kind of gets repetitive, though I do enjoy the story and the attitude.

Caravan Ray: So many song titles smushed together! It’s catchy in a dance punk kind of way, I like the whammy bar filled guitar work and the driving nature, though for some reason I wish you’d gone with different drum sounds. The slow bit in the middle is nice. The panning in the “drives a cadillac, rides again” part is a bit too wide for my tastes. I certainly was entertained by this one though.

Jeff DeSantis: Straightforward effective rock. This gives me some backyard cookout vibes. It’s reminding me heavily of some song that I used to hear on the radio back around the turn of the century, but I can’t place it. I think it’s the slightly generic chord progression. I want to say it’s Hootie I’m thinking of but I could be totally off there. Anyway, this is well done and competent and the chorus is pretty well executed. I like the melody there. Now I wanna listen to “Anarchy” since you mentioned it.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff: I think it was you a few weeks ago that brought up the “simple but effective” thing that Tom Petty does with melodies that aren’t really all that dynamic for the most part. I guess I must be the wrong audience, but I find the “let’s go for a ride” chorus just...dull. Like it doesn’t dynamically stick out from the rest of the song (other than the ride cymbal) and it’s not engaging. Actually that’s true of much of this song. Though I like that chimy guitar work in the background. And the lyrics just dont’ quite measure up to the creativity of some of these other ones.

Lichen Throat: Well, you know that your vocal track and your midi guitars don’t always sit nicely together in the mix, and you know that your melodies aren’t usually the strongest. But, even though I know it’s synthetic, I really like the guitar line you came up with for this one, though I wish it had less reverb. The line “golf is just an excuse to drink”...kind of amused me, given that it seems like every golf game I’ve played has involved my dad and his buddies having a drink or two. Which just reminded me that I haven’t actually played a single round of golf since I reached drinking age...9 years ago. This ranks in the better half of your catalogue.

The Pannacotta Army: I know it’s not production fight, but your entries uniformly sound good. Everything sits in the mix nicely, never too cluttered, nice and spacious. I feel whether or not you enjoy this is dependent on how much you like reggae. I love it, though I prefer dub over this roots style. Imagine if we did a sequel fight for 2012’s “Don’t Like Reggae”. Anyway, you’ve got a good melody and vibe going on here, and it would shock me if you didn’t rack up the votes for this one too. I will say that one gripe I have is the lyrics...I do like them, but I don’t really understand where the bored golfer is a punk. Is the only punky thing he does declare that he’s not really into golf? Anyway, pleasant enough.

Phlebia: I should stop watching Letterkenny and I should stop listening to hed(PE). But I don’t want to. Anyway, Sweeney and I were meaning to collaborate for awhile and almost did something last fight but it didn’t happen. This song has no guitars on it -- instrumentally it’s 3 bass tracks, one playing the bass line, one playing distorted chunky power chords, and the other playing upper register fleshing out the chunky power chord one. I may have overdone the “cutting the bass” to make things not as muddy, since Fluffy said the mix was over-trebled. Anyway, the records featured are two kid’s story book records from the 70s: Thumbelina and some story about a Mogwai that isn’t related to Gremlins or the band. I had to do the warpy record intro because on this page you see a little girl giggling at a hippopotamus.

Pigfarmer Jr: This is definitely one of the better Pigfarmer songs. It’s got this swagger and attitude that you sometimes nail and sometimes don’t...and you definitely nailed it that time. For some reason production-wise I think this would sound dope if you belted the words a bit more in the chorus and used some POWER, even like setting the gain so they slightly clip into the red every now and then. Actually that’s not a production suggestion, that’s a vocal suggestion. I definitely relate to this though, there’s some fights where I’ve wondered if everyone else is deaf (and I’m not talking about the obviously gamed fights)...sometimes I just disagree with the consensus!

Sockpuppet: You know what’s satisfying? Smacking a golf ball. You know what else is satisfying? Going to the recycling center and smashing glass bottles. Personally I’d rather smash stuff and light stuff on fire in the most harmless way, but I suppose that if you have trouble doing that harmlessly, golf would be a decent outlet. The switch up to the past tense in the refrain was a nice change. I’m trying to figure out the significance of the last line. I mean I’ve met my fair share of pretentious Prius drivers (my ex’s dad, dadgum), but it sounds like golfpunk used to be way more of an asshole than he is now.

WreckdoM: Another story. Only way less Sockpuppety and more WreckdoMy. Of course they smush him! I love the guitar tone throughout the verses, it reminds me of early Bardo Pond in its noodly muddiness. The chorus here is...odd. I hear “Isle Dauphine” and think of “Isle Delfino” from Mario Sunshine. Like if this was just a story and noodly sludgy riffing I’d like it alright, but all the other parts ruin it for me.

For a milestone fight, I’m surprised at how few of these I really dug.
Rankings:
1. Me, cause I had a LOT of fun creating it.
2. Brown Word, cause it upped the punx oi oi.
3. Pannacotta, lordamerci one love I and I.