Last warning: (Please Scream Inside Your Heart reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Last warning: (Please Scream Inside Your Heart reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Or you can write it all down and share with the group.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Last warning: (Please Scream Inside Your Heart reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please post your lyric in the lyric thread. You can scream inside your heart while you do it if you think it'll make you feel better:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11867
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Pleased to say that I’ve listened to all the songs and they weren’t nearly as depressing as I’d mentally prepared myself for!
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

FIRST TO REVIEW!!!

First listen reviews on my laptop speakers.

Brown Word and the Big Whine:
This reminds me of so much of the Twee music I loved in the early 2000s. This song would fit on any K recs comp. I like that this is kind of loose, but also want it to be tighter. That is probably my own hang up, like my brain is already thinking about how I would cover this song and make it my own or how I would produce it. Harmonies are a nice addition. Could use a bit more production to vary things up along the way. Maybe add a vintage Casio Keyboard to your recording set up?

Cybronica:
This sounds really good right off the bat. I find the repetition of "Please Scream Inside Your Heart" to be well, repetitious. Maybe the vocals are just a touch too loud and dry to fit with the dreamy soundscape behind them? I like the flute sounds, but again, they don't eclipse the vocal enough to shift my focus, which I think would be nice to help break up the monotony of the Please Scream hook. This song is just too long, relying too much on one repetitive hook for my taste. The operatic ah vocals get harsh as they get high and maybe need some compression. They might also be too dry and need more reverb.

Hot Pink Halo:
I love the vibe of this song right away. The accordion sounds is great. Maybe that is violin? Vocals are a little buried, but that seems to fit the overall vibe. Maybe you and Cybronica should critique each other's mixes and you'll both have better vocal balance...

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff:
I wrote this at the last minute and had to flesh it out after Lunkhead said he was too busy to provide a solo and leads. (Yeah, I ask him for help sometimes.) I like how this turned out overall. Kind of synthy 80s. I tried to lean into that with some of the synth choices. I'm still struggling a bit with my fake drum sounds, but I think this sounds okay. Couldn't really think of any good vocal harmonies, and just glad I got this done and turned in.

Matt Just Matt:
Sax sounds great! Are you playing that? The music behind it sounds canned and is too far in the background, almost as if you are playing it on one cassette player while recording yourself playing sax on another to "multitrack." Vocals are pretty good, but too dry and a little to upfront, especially when the rest of the "band" is so quiet. All that said, I really like this song and would love to hear it live with a band at Songfight live someday. Did you multitrack this song? I might be willing to remix it for you if you pm me.. ;)

The Pannacotta Army:
Well, this just sounds great. Has great vibe, space, and balance. Vocal harmonies are really tight and I like the little bit of grit on the lead vocal. Love the organ as well. Sweet whistling section. JB is the best whistler I know, but you come in a close second. This song may be just a bit too long without going full on dub. It kind feels like you sat on the groove just a touch too long without doing anything with it.

Robyn Mackenzie:
This song has a really good melody. Kind of an Aimee Mann vibe, but without the Jon Brion production that really makes her songs shine. Mix is a little rough, but a charming song none the less. Good vocal harmonies. This is another song I think I'd really enjoy hearing live with a band rocking out. Guitars really block out the other instruments. It is hard to hear the drums and bass, maybe work on that in the future? I like the more indie rock area this song gets to with the final choruses.

seemanski:
I like that this song goes places and changes significantly in sections. The overall fuzziness is nice and it takes some unexpected turns. Not sure what else to say, this song is very good.

Semen Priest:
This is a lot of noise. AND IT IS VERY LOUD!!! Thanks for keeping it short. Is it all guitar or are there other elements?

Sweeney Toad:
Overall, I like this song, but I think it kind of swings between really good, and just okay. The vocals at time are really engaging and tight. Other times, they seem pitchy and annoying. What was that band with the song about riding his bike? They had a bunch of hits for a hot minute. Right, Flobots. This song makes me think of them. Not sure what this song is about, and now I'll go look for the lyrics. Yeah, great flow to the verse lyrics!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

FWIW here's how they line up -

Brown Word & The Big Whine – I like the hippy-ish 60s protest song vibe, as I do the lyrics - only more, though I’d like the vocals to have a bit more commitment to the cause. Ditto the harmonies that are more namby-pamby. The simple one guitar backing fits with the style of the song but I’m not crazy about its tone. Without getting too carried away though, this one’s alright.

Robyn Mackenzie – A pretty decent song with a catchy-ish chorus melody although there’s an obviousness about where it’s going before we get there. It could do with some quirk of individuality to grab you and make it more memorable. As far as the music/arrangement goes, the vocals are the standout. I like the simple tone of the solo but the distorted rhythm guitar is a bit ugly - there’s something brittle and harsh about the break-up. A smoother tone would be nicer. Drums could be louder/punchier too.

Ken’s Super Duper Band & Stuff – The chord pattern and synth motif in the intro and repeated after verse one reminds of The Model but that’s almost where any Kraftwerk similarities end, apart from your vocals which could be a little less, dare I say, robotic? This is another melody that’s a bit predictable. Production-wise everything sounds fine and the playing is all executed well enough but it just seems to be lacking spark/passion - sounds like songwriting by numbers, or done merely as a task.

Semen Priest – Jackson Pollock audio equivalent - but whereas I could happily gaze at Convergence... Image
...for a long time, 47 seconds is enough for this. Thanks for posting your lyrics which appears to be a random selection from The Concise Oxford English Dictionary of Debauchery & Violence
…but you could be reading from The Hungry Caterpillar for all I can make out.

Matt Just Matt – I like the way your enthusiasm comes across. The song could be alright if the mix was better. I wish the guitar sounded nicer and was louder…and the drums were louder….and your vocals were less upfront and had some reverb. The sax is great though, but I’d prefer some of it interspersed between the verses/choruses rather than just as bookend solos.

Seemanski – Love the overall moodiness and inventive production mixing up synth stuff with guitars. The dynamic of having the sparse arrangement of the verses and big chorus works really well. The chorus is especially good – a nice industrial vibe. Cool percussion parts too and the breathy vocals are perfect in the context. A little bit dark Depeche Mode but not derivative. Probably the best of the bunch for me.

Sweeney Toad – I’ll say first off that the lyrics are excellent. However, I don’t really dig the quasi-B52s vocal style and the relentless machine gun delivery got rather fatiguing. The chorus nursery rhyme-like sung melody is also pretty rigid, so not much in the way of respite there. With the attention hogging vocals, I found myself semi-blanking out to the generic vid-game music so it just sort of became background hum.

Hot Pink Halo – I like the melancholic violin and sorrowful dirginess here – a mini-requiem, as it were. The structure is quite organic with an almost improvised, unstructured feel to the whole song. There’s a few things going on with a similar frequency range creating a sort of “wall of sound” wash in the background so it’s hard to tell what’s in there – a bit of sample choir/voice? Something pipey? More strings?
Not exactly a memorable melody but this is more about feel and atmosphere. I do like the concise, poetic lyrics that work very well with the music.

Cybronica – Have Latvia submitted their entry to this year’s aborted Eurovision Song Contest to Songfight?
This is all rather Elder Scrolls meets GoT fantasy soundtrack vibe for me. Pulsing dark synths, thumpy tomtoms, wistful moaning vocals all submerged in reverb preset to "Caverns of Mordor". I mean I can’t fault the production or the technical ability, it’s all performed and put together superbly – especially the vocals but the fusion of semi-operatics, lush string sections, wistful flutes and synths - it's just all too much cinema soundtrack “epic” for my modest needs.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

ken wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:11 am

Semen Priest:
This is a lot of noise. AND IT IS VERY LOUD!!! Thanks for keeping it short. Is it all guitar or are there other elements?
Ha, there are vocals and drums too! The vocals are the "URRBRRBRRR" bit and the drums are just kind of there blasting away. Technically it's a bass guitar, for more downtuned fun. If you want to hear an entire album of music like this, listen to Devourment.
the panna cotta army wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:45 am

Semen Priest ... a random selection from The Concise Oxford English Dictionary of Debauchery & Violence...
HA, that description elicited a wide grin.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Hot Pink Halo – I like the melancholic violin and sorrowful dirginess here – a mini-requiem, as it were. The structure is quite organic with an almost improvised, unstructured feel to the whole song. There’s a few things going on with a similar frequency range creating a sort of “wall of sound” wash in the background so it’s hard to tell what’s in there – a bit of sample choir/voice? Something pipey? More strings?
Not exactly a memorable melody but this is more about feel and atmosphere. I do like the concise, poetic lyrics that work very well with the music.
An answer to this and for Ken as well, the main violin bit is many, many layers of violin split between two parts (sometimes playing the same note, sometimes not). There's also a different layer of single violin, two washy reverb guitar chords I stole from @gizo's Floating Away from last week after he sent us his mix file, the Wilhelm, and the pipey thing you're hearing underneath is my flute playing low notes with some processing.

Speaking of stealing, the main violin part is a modified version of Sareri Hovin Mernem (apparently this translates as “I’ll Die for the Wind of the Mountains”), which is an old Armenian folk song. I learned of it through my violin practice app, and it's one of my favourite things to play. Everything else was improvised on top of that.

Edit: I just remembered, there's a tiny bit of pulsing "echolocation" synth as well. I've made a lot of visual art about Pluto, Charon and the New Horizons mission in my time (see the album cover art on this fight, for example), and this was intended to be an audio version of that. It's about Pluto and Charon and their binary orbit, always facing each other relationship.
mholland
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Saxophones and other things
Recording Method: Scarlett 18i20, Logic
Submitting as: Night Sky

Post by mholland »

ken wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:11 am
Matt Just Matt:
Sax sounds great! Are you playing that? The music behind it sounds canned and is too far in the background, almost as if you are playing it on one cassette player while recording yourself playing sax on another to "multitrack." Vocals are pretty good, but too dry and a little to upfront, especially when the rest of the "band" is so quiet. All that said, I really like this song and would love to hear it live with a band at Songfight live someday. Did you multitrack this song? I might be willing to remix it for you if you pm me.. ;)
Matt Just Matt – I like the way your enthusiasm comes across. The song could be alright if the mix was better. I wish the guitar sounded nicer and was louder…and the drums were louder….and your vocals were less upfront and had some reverb. The sax is great though, but I’d prefer some of it interspersed between the verses/choruses rather than just as bookend solos.
Thanks for the kind words and the constructive feedback. I have a lot to learn about recording and mixing, and may take Ken up on the offer to remix. It is multi-tracked and I played all of the instruments except the drums, which are a GarageBand "drummer", but I imagine some of the canned feeling comes from looping the guitar and bass. Also, not to make excuses, but I wrote the song in the middle of last week and recorded it all Saturday, so I didn't give myself a lot of time to lay down tracks and refine things. If I'd had more time, I definitely would have interspersed more sax leads and spent some time with effects and mixing. This is my first fight, and it has been a lot of fun. I'm planning to give myself more time on the next fight, and hopefully bring in some of my friends who are stronger guitar and bass players.
Night Sky is Sally on lyrics, Steve on drums, and Matt on the other stuff
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Cybronica – ...I mean I can’t fault the production or the technical ability, it’s all performed and put together superbly...
Woo hoo! Honestly, I wrote the song in an evening, and spent the rest of my time making this a case study for working to improve my production skills, so I am delighted by your comment. It’s been my weakness in the past. The rest of what you said makes me think you’re just not into the genre? So I get that. I’m over the moon you liked the mix!!I
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: seemanski

Post by seemanski »

So, I thought I would give this reviewing thing a crack. I always feel a bit out of my depth doing this kind of thing, but now I am thinking if you don't try, you never know.

So here goes ....

Brown Word and the Big Whine:

This was obviously a protest song looking at the lyrics and at first I thought I wish it had a bit more conviction, but then I thought what if it is a protest song but the outcome is in vain i.e. like you are fighting a losing battle, from this angle the vocal delivery makes a bit more sense, and I quite liked it.

I did like the effects you put on the guitar, I would have liked a bit more variation. Maybe a second guitar or maybe a little more with your vocals.

Cybronica:

The whole track has a dream like feel to it and I felt like I was under a witches spell being lulled into a false sense of security. I loved that little glitchy thing you had going on in the verse, especially the first verse. The additional instruments you added to the chorus were nice, I noticed a piano and a harp.

The build up of the track was great, although I felt it didn't really build into anything. Like I said I felt like I was under a spell but I really wanted a section that acted as realisation of being under a spell and not knowing what to do (if that makes any sense at all).

Hot Pink Halo:

Throughout listening I felt like this was describing the loss of a loved one. Obviously set in the viking era. I'm a gamer and am currently playing A Plague Tale:Innonence and this would fit right into that games ambience.

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff:

Your vocals reminded me of something and I nearly couldn't place it because it is a very different music style. If Tobias Forge from Ghost (well he essentially is Ghost now I think) ever decided to stop with the satanic rock and went for a synth pop ballad, this is what I would imagine it would sound like.

Matt Just Matt:

This mix is a bit rough are there are a few timing issues. I got talking heads vibes from your vocals and I really loved the saxophone (I wanted more). I also thought it was a good use of the f bomb.

The Pannacotta Army:

This was my pick of the litter, it had a really spooky feel to it and felt like I was sneaking around somewhere I shouldn't be trying not to get caught. If I was being uber picky I would say the drums were a little too hot in the mix and I wanted your vocals to be brought forward a little bit.

Robyn Mackenzie:

This makes me feel so nostalgic, it brings me back to my youth of sitting in the back of the school bus with my cassette player (now I'm showing my age!). It had a very 90s brit rock kind of feel to it mixed in with some pixies. I must admit I wasn't sure at first but when it all kicked it, I was hooked.

seemanski:

Now it's time for me to point out all the things I hate about my track.

I always struggle with how loud I should make things. I generally go for the CD LUFS which I think is 9db but it never matches up to others. I suspect I could do more with automation i.e. the instrumental bits could be brought up and then brought down when the vocals kick in maybe. I am toying with the idea of using ducking on my next track to try and automate that a bit.

I also felt that the overall mix was a bit tinny and maybe I could have done more with that. I think I just bored when I got to my usual lack luster attempt at mastering.

I was aiming for a NiN / synthwave kind of mix and nearly went full distortion with the vocals bit it felt a bit harsh. I'm never keen on my lyrics, I know my lyrics are weak just because I find it more fun doing the music and generally when I listen to music it's the music that I pay attention to more.

Oh, and wikipedia did come in handy when learning morse code.

Semen Priest:

OK, I'm awake, I'm awake. Wow, that was a nice slap around the face. It was angry but also very disorienting. I really enjoyed what you did, it's almost like you were screaming inside your heart, which I am guessing was your intention.

Sweeney Toad:

I really liked the lyrics and related to them. I am a sucker for having ideas but never following them through or believing in myself enough to push further. I really like the frantic feel of the track and I appreciate the production value. Everything really stands out in the mix.

OK, I'm off to go and vote now.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

Ok, it took a while, but here’s my reviews, no particular order:

Robyn Mackenzie: the best part is when you add in the layered vocals. From there to end it much more interesting. The solo vocal sound a bit exposed, and under supported. It really emphasizes the pitchiness, too. The pitchiness isn’t there as much when you sing out. Guitars are great- love the the instrumental solo a lot!

Semen priest: Did my video game character just succumb to his insanity while also facing the final boss? I can’t hear the music over all the white noise in the timbres of distortion you have going on the guitars and vocals. Lyrics start out really cool, but by the end it feels like you just threw a thesaurus at the wall and saw what stuck. Some 5 cent words could have been really useful to help make the $5 words pop more. Too long for what it is, too short for what it could be.

BW&BW: the effect on the guitar is a really pleasing timbre. Vocals are a little hot in the mix, and they would blend better in the mix with some reverb added. As it is, I can really hear the room you sang in, and it doesn’t match the guitar. The tune is catchy!

Sweeney toad: these lyrics are relatable, and inspirational, but (and this may be my lack of familiarity with the rap idiom) I find them really difficult to parse when listening. The delivery is super choppy, like a first try, you’re not super familiar with the flow of the lines, so you just put an em pha sis on e ver y syll a ble and it is dis trac ting. The hook isn’t very hooky, and I would like more of a contract from the verse to the hook.

Pannacotta Army: what a funky fun groove. Love the arrangement, but drums are a little high for my taste- the rim hit is way too pointy for my ear. Is this about sleep paralysis? The lyrics are really great, and your whistling is in tune, and goes well with the ghostly horn you have going. Are those real horns? The Swell of strings is a great effect. Good work. Vote

HPH- violin is sounding good! I like the (accordion? Harmonium?). The vocals are so dreamy and reverby- I would add a little more reverb to the violin to make it match a little more. Love the lyrics, very poetic.

Matt just Matt: SAXOPHONE. Yayyyyyy love me some sax. Both the sax and the vocals are a little dry compared to the backing band, need a little reverb, and they are too hot. Lower them in the mix so they nestle in the instrumentals. Speaking of which, are they just the same same chords on a loop? A four or eight bar phrase with something else would add a little depth to the music. Politics! Good lyrics, a bit on the nose, but they align with mine so I am unbothered. Vote.

Cybronica: me! I agree it’s a little long to have no change up aside from the verse to the chorus. This is what I call a “driving at night” song- a little meditative, good to hold you in a mood for a solid amount Of time. “Heart in flesh enmeshed” is a dumb lyric, too clunky on the tongue, almost a tongue twister. I’m super happy with how it came out mix wise, though, so full marks there. Vote (who doesn’t vote for themselves?)

KSDBnS: I really really really want you to hold heart Dark and apart for another half a beat. They are chopped off by that hard R, and makes the song sound more sardonic thaN genuine, and the lyrics make it sound like you want it to be genuine. Pleasing to listen to; almost like a TMBG demo. Feels a little relaxed though. Could use a little more energy, for what it is.

Seemanski: opening is really cool, but once the Morse code hits, it’s like a different song, which make the return of the big instrumental sounds at the “pleas escream” section so satisfying. Cool groove to this. Vote
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Brown Word and the Big Whine - Those opening notes make me think I’m about to hear “happy happy joy joy”. This is another entry in your canon that falls pretty squarely in the “protest” category. I feel like I need to go fight the power after listening to this. I like the relative simpleness of the background accompaniment, though admittedly I’m not super huge on the chord progression -- it’s a bit too I-IV-V, which I think I complain about in most songs that I hear it in unless they’ve not enough else going on to distract me from it. For such rousing lyrics, the performance could use a little bit more “OOMPH”...like I wanna feel like you FEEL it, man. Or wo-man.

Cybronica - Well, this nails the “epic mysterious” vibe really well...and I typically tend to enjoy stuff like that, though it can be a bit melodramatic at times. I used to be really into stuff like Medieval Baebes and this scratches a similar itch to me. The drums are a bit buried in the background, which sort of robs the song of the forward propulsion that it needs to really be interesting. That descending piano line sounds really cool, and dadgum are you nailing those high notes. This song could have probably been a little bit shorter, and I get kind of tired of the “PLEAAASSEEE SCREAAAAMMM” bit by the zillionth time I’ve heard it, but regardless of my comments on the composition.

Hot Pink Halo - This is fantastic from the standpoint of downbeat violin stuff. Your violin playing is getting more confident, and this track really benefits from not straying terribly far outside of a relatively narrow vocal range, which is something you likely know. I didn’t really follow the lyrics closely upon while listening to the song any of the 3 or 4 times I listened through the fight…but that’s true for pretty much any song where the vocals are kind of low in the mix and subdued. Reading through them, they’re very poetic and evocative. As for your prosody that Sober likes to call out...I didn’t notice anything off, but I’m in a living room with my kids on laptop speakers. One of the better entries in the Hot Pink Halo canon.

Ken’s Super Duper Band and Stuff - Another one where I find the chord progression kind of uninteresting. The synth tone choice that you used is a nice touch. I don’t really like the chorus much, it’s just a bit plain. The lyrics are also a bit too simple for my liking: like “life you had/get so bad” couplet is a bit plain. I like the line about where the healing starts. That’s my biggest complaint with this song. It’s plain.

Matt, Just Matt - Well I enjoy the saxophone bit, it sounds pretty good. The vocals are a bit high in the mix, and the saxophone may be a bit high compared to the drums and the guitars, which I think need to be a bit higher in the mix, I’d say up the levels and then maybe put some compression on the master bus or something to get stuff a little bit more present. As for the lyrics, I don’t know, I feel like songs like “yeah, you right winger jerks, you suck” are a bit played out and I’m kind of tired of the sentiment. Not that I disagree, but this kind of venomous biting back at strawman conservatives is kind of cliche.

Pannacotta Army - Okay, a gloomy reggae-infused number in ¾ time? This is totally beautiful! And the horns and the whistles and the performance in general, this is some high quality tunes and alphabetically my favorite in the list. You were born for SongFighting! That extra measure during the transition at 1:42 is just inspired. And how the music drops out at “unknown black” is just inspired. And you don’t abuse the dubby reggae delay on the guitar, it’s tastefully deployed and that string swell, oh! I love you.

Robyn Mackenzie - Like last week’s entry, this leans hard into that late 90s/early 00s “adult alternative” vibe. The verses are giving me strong “Stories…” era PJ Harvey vibes, which is a compliment cause I adore that stuff. I don’t know exactly what I’d suggest with the rhythm guitar...when the distortion comes in it feels like it’s kind of lacking body? Something about EQing, compression, blah blah. I feel like half of my mixing comments in SF reviews are all the same. Really, as great as the melody and sound is in the verses, the chorus feels a little half-baked, y’know? “Inside your hearrrrrrrt, ooohh” maybe could have done something a bit more interesting there? But it’s a time crunch and sometimes the ideas don’t come.

See-man-ski - Those guitar licks in the chorus have some tasty bends on them and I dig it. I wouldn’t mind a slightly cleaner vocal, it’s mixed a little bit muddy and doesn’t quite do it for me. The morse code bits are really cool as a rhythmic element...there was a time when I knew morse code and would have been able to pick it out and decode that quickly, but that was like a decade ago now and I’ve totally forgotten. That synth arpeggio doesn’t really match the rest of the song. I like that kind of intense driving beat you drop into in the chorus. Basically this song has a lot of cool elements put together in a way that doesn’t quite work, but it’s still pretty good.

Semen Priest (me) - Dentist, jugga-jigga-wugga. Deli-style, jugga-jigga-wugga. For lack of any proper ideas for this prompt, I elected to just make fun of brutal death metal instead. Blast beats, chugging, and “URRBRRBRRRRR” vocals. Pannacotta phrased the lyric sheet as “the concise oxford english dictionary of debauchery and violence” and that is exactly the point, even if none of the phrases make any sense in or out of context.

Sweeney Toad - The verse delivery and the choice of beat kind of gives me Outkast vibes, and there was someone else who invoked the B-52s as a description for the chorus (and that’s honestly spot on, I can’t even argue. As for the lyrics, this seems to provide a fantastic description of depression and self-loathing, that’s curiously offset by the upbeat backing track and delivery. I always like that juxtaposition. I have trouble offering any real feedback on this one, but it was definitely enjoyable. Maybe try a punchier snare sound, the snare drum sounded a little flat. So did the kick for that matter. But yeah this was cool.

Top 3:
Panna Cotta Army
See-man-ski
Robyn Mackenzie
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

Seemanski - cool little intro, i like the direction the song takes afterwards, the song has a nice little lofi indie rock/electro feel to it. pretty cool, i dig it.

brown word - not too hard, not too soft, it's like a boyz2men song if boyz2men were a completely different musical group. i dig it.

cybronica - this sounds like a song that would be in a video game, specifically an ubisoft game about a viking warrior princess or something. the singing is good but not really my cup of tea, the music backing it is pretty cool. the chorus kind of seems to drag on, i like the verses better on this, i just get really bored of the chorus and want to skip to the next verse. this song was ok, i kind of dig it.

hot pink halo - this sounds like a song that would be played at a funeral for a cult member and a bunch of cult members mourning said deceased cult member. i feel like the attendees would all be drinking magic koolaid to join their fallen member. i dig it.

ken - i'm not sure why but this reminds me of a weird al song. i'm not exactly sure why, but this song is pretty ok, not my favorite of yours but still pretty good. i pretty much dig it.

matt just matt - intro sounds like an 80's/early 90's tv theme song, maybe a saturday morning cartoon possibly. i feel like the singing could use more energy. this was ok, i kind of dig it.

robyn - this was pretty solid. it's pretty catchy and well executed. i like when the song kicks into an extra gear with the electric guitar and your vocals get more layered i think or something. this was pretty cool, i dig it.

semen priest - lol, reminds me of something my goth friend would be listening to in his tiny studio apartment when i'd come pick him up to go to a show or something. i only dig it for purely nostalgic reasons.

pancotta - the whistling is magical and already makes me think this probably the best track of the fight. this is good and catchy and has a really cool slightly spooky vibe or something. i think it's safe to say this is my choice for best song of the fight since there is only one song left to review. i did super dig this a lot.

sween toad - oh the last song is my song lol. i liked this song and it was pretty fun to make, i still think pancotta had the best song of the fight. i did dig my own song though.
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Pannacotta Army wins!
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

Something nice to start to the week with...
It can only go downhill from here

Close fight thought
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Congratulations PCA!

(I still have reviews incoming for this fight. They took a back burner this week while to trying to earn a living and not fall into a pit of despair, etc.)
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I asked Cybronica to redo all the vocals for my song. Please enjoy this version of Please Scream Inside your Heart.
Ken - PSIYH.mp3
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 99 times
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang