What's that? Timmy fell down a well? (Let's Go Boy Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

What's that? Timmy fell down a well? (Let's Go Boy Reviews)

Post by mkilly »

>.<
Last edited by mkilly on Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

LET'S GO BOY!
Hi!
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Compare and contrast:

*Let's Go Boy
*You Go Girl

*Go Go Boy
*Go Slow Girl

*Bet Low Boy
*Get Low Girl
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hey johnny, nice job mate! :idea:
Hi!
HANK.
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by HANK. »

YOU MUTHA LOVAH!!!!! YEEEAAAAAAHRRRGHHHH!!!

What tha motha? Insane. I'll be thinking of this as I'm chopping down the trees, seeing them fall and bounce slightly off the ground, feeling the rumble of the earth. I picked up a set of isolation headphones to use as ear protection on the job. This is my new theme song.
Gaining mass like a lumberjack and knocking down trees.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

let's go boy

what is that this title attracted either dog references or weird audio experiments?

bolthead
- i really like the mood and dynamics
- good rocking coda
CONTENDER

daj werkenhorse
- hey, lyrics; not good, but present
- what is that whistling?
- awful vocal harmonies

eight legged oedipus
- check out that twang! i dig it
- good bounce to the music; has me dancing along

justio von awesome
- interesting audio experiment

lietchy
- good beat and you can dance to it
- some real old-school rap
- but it never really takes off

marcus kellis
- up the vocals in the mix
- more rhythm, more polish with the guitar
- your voice doesn't work too well with the higher notes

max the cat
- i really like the tone of your voice, kind of light, like you're almost laughing. but the lyrics have a bit of a sarcastic feel; the alchemy works really well
- the 3rd verse picks it up well
- good dog metaphor
CONTENDER

meanness
- noise in search of a song
- sounds like your lyrics were recorded from the bathroom

preparation h
- interesting; definitely more dynamic than meanness or von awesome
- almost gets danceable; give it a good bass groove and your ready for a rave
- are those power tools?

red lights
- weird vocal harmony there at the beginning
- up the verse vocals in the mix
- i really like the music; the parts blend and accenutate each other well
- left field called, it wants that chorus back

song fight orchestra
- hehe

thee trepinations
- sounds like a christmas carol

vanilla dragon
- i really like the rhythm track, but it gets a little repetitious
- i'd like some more lyrics, but eventually it gets to some good theme and variation

x-tokyo-river god
- creepy as always
- how about a different way to modulate the vocals?
- more dynamics earlier; your songs seem to break late

i guess i just really don't get into electronica that much, at least not the electronica here. some interesting gems, but my vote goes to bolthead for the well-crafted song and the emotional connection it creates. special mention to max the cat for great lyrics and delivery.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

nyjm wrote: x-tokyo-river god
- creepy as always
- how about a different way to modulate the vocals?
- more dynamics earlier; your songs seem to break late
I thought about modulating the vocals differently but I feel that the voice I use is the voice of Nataly and want it to be consistent as if she were a real person. I did do some minor modulation on the "Let's Go Boy". It's a different setting but a somewhat similiar one. And yes, my songs do strange things at the ends. It's on purpose. They start off steady and fall into chaos. I dig that. These x-tokyo songs are fun for me and I hope some of you out there are digging them, or at least are listening to them for a weekly creep-out.
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

reviews

bolthead - i think this song could do without the can filter intro section. its kind of misleading to the genre approach. decent song, but motherlover? you really cant rock out to that.

daj workenhorse - could use more recorders.

oedipus - some mixing issues i think here. guitars, harmonica, coming in to hot for me. other than that, i cant get past how much this is reminding me of smashmouth, and they suck.

bon bons are awesome - i listened to that noise/antimusic stuff for like a week - then i realized how retarded it was.

liechty (me) - then i realized this song was so retarded. basically this song rules.

marcus kellis - not keeping my attention with your voice and a guitar.

maxcat -

meanness - lead melodies loses novelty and the drum sequencing is kinda lame. vocals too low.

prep h - i really like this 'song'.

red lights - mixing problems very noticable. hmm, nothing standing out to me... hard to understand lyrics.

SFO - getting the idea for the 'SFO style'. not really digging it though. each song doesnt allow enough time to get into it. maybe if you could just slow this song, stretch it out, probably help. little to wackywack for my taste.

thine trep - are you playing this out of a beginners piano book? repetitive. like some of the synth choices.

vandrag - what is this musicbox-dance stuff? this is going to work just saying the song title behind one main riff. terrible.

xtokyorivergod - by the name and the intro you seem pretty mysterious. as much as i dont like guy+guitar, i think you should stick to that niv. this is pretty crappy.

not really impressed with any of the songs this fight.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Prep H
A New Player

Post by Prep H »

Liechty wrote:reviews
prep h - i really like this 'song'.
:o
Liechty wrote: not really impressed with any of the songs this fight.
:(
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

I sound like Smash Mouth.

I should die.

Goodbye, cruel Song Fight world...
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

Liechty wrote:bolthead - intro...its kind of misleading to the genre approach.
I wasn't aware of any intended approach. Drug addiction occurs in many genres.
...motherlover? you really cant rock out to that
actually I really can, do, and will continue to rock out to that. Perhaps you meant to say "I" and not "you" ?
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:I sound like Smash Mouth.
I should die.
Um...nay, and nay. FWIW I am enjoying your tune and Smash Mouth doesn't even come to mind...but hey, their songwriting careers have gotten further than most of ours, I'm pretty sure.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

Daj Werkenhorse
I love the groove that comes in right after the first time you sing "we're going to the vet". I think the title works great with that. I want to hear you drop to a lower chord the second time you say that line, and continue to build on that heavy alternative Blur / Weezer vibe that you have going there for a minute. All in all I think theres a ton of room for development. The kind that happens in about 5 minutes of lightbulbs bursting in brains and such...I would like to cover this and build it up into a monster.

Eight-Legged Oedipus
The beginning is damn catchy, great choice of instruments for that vibe, and the change at "thirty five for me" frocks so hard and then again there. I could hear waiting to go back to the countryish part a little longer, the changes are all happening so fast that I've listened to it a bunch of times already to really get the feel of how I feel about this tune. I think I'm too gullible and that you were joking in your last post...I really dig all these changes happening together.

Von Awesome
gravity causes a bouncing ball to speed up as it slows down and then just dies...the physics of a mechanical engine...von interesting.

Leichty
i dig this vibe. sucks for me right now cause I'm away and only have small computer speakers and i need to hear the woofer crankin for this. the rhythm of the erkle rhyme is killer. those rhythms on the lets go boy are also sweet, and the scratching is dope. i really dig that vibe in the beginning. could hear super fat bass and some sweet melodies over that. baaaawy. squeeze fingas is a great line thats grabbing me. the stops are good man, well planned. the soundclips too. the titles in a great spot, it works great.

Marcus Kellis
i start to groove on this a little at the point where you're singing the title line. i'd like it more if kissing led to something else and the story was more profound. The vocal melody has some moves to it that i kinda like, there's a bit of attempt to make the song go somehwere else in a couple places, but man i just wanna hear more feeling.

Max the Cat
This starts off with a great catchy vocal and such a playful melody, I'm down. Tie ya...parking meter hehe. Moves are good next, I like when you vary the vocal like moving down on "dialogue.."..and the dialogue is a riot. I feel some comparisons to humans with the two dogs part. The way you used the title is also real creative. nice.

the Meanness
was looking for lyrics, couldn't make em out. this is definitely some meanness going on. the tones are all very harsh and i'm looking for a melody in them. I'm laughing at the sound of those spoken vocals...wondering what you're saying. you've just convinced me to put down a couple beers!

Preparation H
Gratutious use of whips and saws as promised, is being much enjoyed. I'd like more music and such, but the title line is hilarious. when i get back to my computer next week I'm gonna flip that vocal backwards to try and hear what yer saying. This's an entertaining ensemble of mayhem and I'm dying with this, very enjoyable indeed especially the more i listen to it, and start to make out some phrases.

Red Lights
Like the banjo intro, its length and especially how you build it into a chorus later on. I feel that the real vocal is coming in around :28 but having a tough time hearing it. Could've skipped the vocals right in the beginning. I can dig the vibe of those verses but would rather hear the vocal melody change more and move to the chorus sooner. Again, great use of banjo, and i like the the chorus instrument melody.

Song Fight Orchestra
Theres some good melody in there that is definitely something I heard on a little kids' song or a tv or radio commercial somewhere. The energy of the vocalist is a little excessive for the laid back vibe of the rest of the instruments, gives it even more of that little kids cartoon feel.

Thee Trepinations
not to be confused with "trepanation" ? This one follows the orchestra's piece very well, it's like the next scene of the cartoon! nice imagery and a good melodic change at the end, wish there were some vocals and more relation to the song title.

Vanilla Dragon
Nice smooth vibe, I like, I think it would be great with a chorus, more vocals to give the title more meaning, and more changes throughout. The high synthesizers are playing kinda a catchy melody and even the one line vocal is catchy in a strange euphoric kind of way.

x-tokyo-river-god
It is just rhythm and a whisper, that can't be denied. It just feels like it was whipped together in a couple hours, I'd really like to hear some melody in there too.

...I'll keep listening this week, as of now my favs are Oedipus, Max, Leichty, Prep H, and Vanilla Dragon.

BoltHead
Boltoph: vocals, acoustic, bass
Deshead: harmony vocals, guitars, piano, drums, synth pad, guitar synth
I sent Des an acoustic / vocal track and it was really exciting getting back tracks and hearing the mix build up. Thanks Des for doing the final mix, for being such a high caliber artist and a pleasure to work with, and for painting my song idea into a moving landscape. We were going to throw in even more instruments at the end, but i got addicted to that final guitar line...
Prep H
A New Player

Post by Prep H »

boltoph wrote: Preparation H
...........I'm gonna flip that vocal backwards to try and hear what yer saying. This's an entertaining ensemble of mayhem and I'm dying with this, very enjoyable indeed especially the more i listen to it, and start to make out some phrases.
:o you might say it's a 2 for 1. thanks!
Daj Werkenhorse 1
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Daj Werkenhorse 1 »

boltoph wrote:Daj Werkenhorse
I want to hear you drop to a lower chord the second time you say that line, .

I get what yer saying, but we thought it'd be fun to try to make a song with ONLY one note (C). plus, it brought out the weird wooden recorder more :lol: but thanks for the constructive criticism!

No doubt your ideas would have made it better!! :lol:
-Austin
-Low Quality Is My Aural Asthetic.
(SENZA)
Conventional Wisdom
A New Player

Post by Conventional Wisdom »

luco brazzi sleeps with the fishes tonight.
Last edited by Conventional Wisdom on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

DAMMIT! Awesome collaboration Both/Head!
feldspar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Mostly gin

Post by feldspar »

Bolthead totally gets my vote.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Bolthead
+++ This is really good, from moody emo verse to kickin' chorus +++
--- I agree that motherlover just sounds silly. Either say the damn word or censor it. ---

Daj Werkenhorse
--- This is not my thing. (That's Icelandic for "This is total and utter crap") ---

Eight Legged Oedipus
+++ I had a good time recording this +++
--- I had no time mixing this ---
+++ I love the rhythm from country verse part to soft-rock verse part +++
--- Could use a solo somewhere. terrible ending. ---

Justio Von Awesome
--- I wish I was doing soemthing productive during this. Like taking a piss or doing the dishes for a minute. ---

Liechty
+++ Some more good Capcom production here. Good cut-ups +++
/// While not a bad rap, it just has no grab. ///

Marcus Kellis
--- Was this recorded in a hospital hallway? Cause you sound really medicated. And I can't imagine why else you'd have just submitted a sad guitar take and trite melody with forced lyrics ---

Max the Cat
/// Not sure why your vocals always come across so loud? And how come you never multitrack your vocals? And put effects or panning on your charcter comments? Just a suggestion, stylistically ///
+++ Altogether a good, cute song. +++
--- Background guitar gets a little repetitve, and insufficient melody in the low end. ---

The Meanness
--- The suckness ---

Preparation H
+++ This is a stupid song that somehow manages to be fun +++

The Red Lights
+++ This is awesome with the banjo part cutting in and out. +++
--- Oh my god that ruins it! Unnecessary shouting fag part in chorus ---

Song Fight Orchestra
+++ Johnny cartoon comment yes +++

Thee Trepinations
/// Demo-ey country-tinged soundtrack instrumental ///
+++ Surprisingly evocative of title. Cute. +++
--- Fade out ---

Vanilla Dragon
--- Um, huh. Text To Speech ---
+++ Very much reminiscent of Girl/Boy era Aphex. +++
--- Oh, other Text To Speech voice. Too bad. ---

x-tokyo-river-god
/// Eh, it's kind fo getting old now. ///
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Hey 8LO, that's not a helpful review. That's judging my tune on the merits of my previous 2 tunes. Can you please give me something else...something more useful.
boltoph
Panama

Post by boltoph »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:--- I agree that motherlover just sounds silly. Either say the damn word or censor it. ---
he he. I can appreciate your sentiments (and Leichty's) but this was a Freudian reference and I guess I can't really say it or censor it. Shucks. I guess "motherfucker" would've been the same Freudian reference except it'd be highly derogatory, and I don't intend any ill will to the "mother lover" I'm singing about here.

You know I'm not afraid to drop F-Bombs... :wink:
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Niveous wrote:Hey 8LO, that's not a helpful review. That's judging my tune on the merits of my previous 2 tunes. Can you please give me something else...something more useful.
Review Proper:

+++ I generally enjoy the beat. The dynamics are fine +++
/// There is a sound that is probably a cymbal stretched to where it sounds like a power-saw. It's a good sound, but it pops up a little too predictably. Some of these should be dropped, cut early, or syncopated part of the time. ///
--- The TTS voice is monotonous,and I suggest you sing instead (at least the verse). There may be a story here in this song or in all three, but I'm not really hearing it. In Snow Fort it was creepy, but here on a more dancey beat it's rather boring. ---
+++ This track is the right length. +++
/// I also recommend you add something melodically. I'm not sure if it's synth + percussion, or all percussion, but that bass drum patch you use is naturally very tonal. It sounds like an E. I would occasionally use this sound in the sampler in a descending (possibly chromatic) rhythm. This would probably be at the same point as the cut-up syncopated cymbals. ///