If we make it (Better Luck Next Year reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

If we make it (Better Luck Next Year reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats to the winners of the live fight, Swampy Nethers!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Re: If we make it (Better Luck Next Year reviews)

Post by ken »

First fight, first win. More to come.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Hey, kids:

Ill Cricket Crew got together for our annual guys’ weekend and recorded our Better Luck Next Year (our first SF entry as a group in 12 years!) on a beautiful deck overlooking Georgian Bay. I can’t imagine the other cottagers enjoyed it as much as we did. Dig that beautiful Canadian landscape (and yes the water was cold).

We didn't get it done in time for the live video fight, but here it is:

Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted, all 29 of them! Wow.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

Good Morning All !!
I second the wow... great turnout !!
Full disclosure ... please discount my song. It was written for a fight several years ago and is just one I like to do live. I do this a lot... write, do not submit and play at live shows now and then. So, discount as ‘technically cheating’...

Paco del Stinko As always, i listen to yours first and compare to all others. Today, there actually is no comparison. I think I just listened to the winner. ‘Nough said.

Pigfarmer Jr. This is a really good acoustic submission. One of the best I’ve listened to here. Great guitar without going overboard and all the elements of a very good live performance. I would love to be in the audience listening to your show.

Sweeney Toad The more you expand your writing and production, the better your songs. I’m always pleased and many times surprised by your submissions. Good one.

More later ...
Thanks
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Toby Roktot wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:59 am
Technically cheating ...
Thanks
No, just cheating. j$
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Toby Roktot »

Hey j$...
You are right !!
I stand properly admonished...
Thx,
Toby
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

There are so many good songs this fight it's hard to choose! Reviews are a bit short this time, everybody did a great job.
-----

Tomdg - I like the understated feel to the arrangement and the bassline is great. Like The Clash without drums. Very nice.

Future Boy - This is lovely. Has a theatrical element to it that works super well. I like the electric piano.

Balls to Monte - I'm getting serious Rush and Zeppelin vibes from this. Really nice classic rock sound. The repetition in the chorus is catchy and adds to the rowdiness of those guitars.

Hot Pink Halo - I really like the chord progressions here and the harmonica adds a nice touch. The tone of the guitar and the waltz make it almost hypnotic, as if you've been dancing for hours and the world has faded away around you.

Charm Offensive - This reminds me of sitting under a tent at the local folk festival on a hot summer day. The simplicity of the arrangement is sunny and refreshing.

Cavedwellers - That intro is gripping. I like the lyrics a lot--sharp and to-the-point. Really enjoyed this one.

miscellaneous owl - Oh wow those harmonies. The soft vocals deliver the poetic lyrics perfectly and the gentle guitar is so soothing.

Sockpuppet - An optimistic take on the state of the world. The last verse made me laugh--my 2019 definitely smelt, so it's good to know I'm not alone there.

Ill Cricket Crew - Awwww yeah, this had me grooving immediately. The old-school sound and that filthy guitar work really well together. Clever lyrics and you deliver them so smoothly. I love the whole vibe of this.

Vom Vorton - The cheerfulness of the synths and the beat are in stark contrast with the rather depressing lyrics, which is fun. A bop for sure.

Gwazi - That chorus is spot-on. I wanna listen to this one in my car with the windows rolled down and the volume turned waaaaay up. Great headbanger tune.

Johnny Cashpoint - I haven't gotten into Among Us too much, but I've only ever gotten to be the impostor once and I barely did anything before they caught me. I really like the background vocals and the disconcertingly cheerful instrumentation--it really sums up the feel of the game.

Sweeney Toad - The intense vocals and the slow strings juxtapose nicely. I like the rap bridge and how the instrumentation drops out at the beginning of it. The lyrics really capture the mood of the overall current situation.

Glenn Case - Really nice harmonies and I like the chords you use. The melody is really engaging, as are the lyrics, and the panning on the vocals sounds great.

Night Sky - Nice storytelling here. I like the softness of the drums--they're energetic, but not overwhelming. Love the harmonica.

Pigfarmer Jr - Like I said over on 50/90, I really like your rhyming here. Great job on getting all those words out in one breath. I particularly enjoy the solo. Also, it's super catchy and I had it in my head all night.

Hardmonica - Fantastic melody, and I love the lyrics, particularly "make a wish on any old sparrow." The growly bridge took me by surprise. Killer harmonies.

Tim Hinkle - Everything comes together to create a classic kind of feel--the drums and the organ have a 60's sound to them that I enjoy. I like the story in the lyrics.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - Very Joan Jett, while having a modern edge as well. I really like those "la la la"s. Clever lyrics delivered with buckets of sass.

Phlebia - I have no idea what show this is, but it sounds like a wild ride, just like this song. I like the modality of the bass. Those drums are so so crashy.

Swampy Nethers - The percussion sounds like it came straight off of the 32-key Casio I've had since 1994. It's a sturdy thing that's survived multiple moves and a car crash. I like the different sounds all blended together here--the piano, the organ, and the guitar. "We made it through 9 months, fuck the rest" sums up this year precisely.

gizo - I like the echo on the vocals, and the chord progression on the chorus. "Masters of our own shit" is a great line.

add - I dig the instrumentation on this. Starts out bouncy, and then those synths come in--adds a nice atmosphere. The blend of different sounds just brings a whole new dimension to that sunny guitar.

Paco del Stinko - I like the way this builds. Things really kick up once those drums come in, and those background harmonies take it up yet another level. Punky and urgent.

Lichen Throat - That intro reminds me of The Cranberries for some reason, yet the vocals are more Television. I like the drums and the imagery in the lyrics.

toby roktot - There are a lot of different dynamics in here. Some parts are energetic and raw, others are soft and contemplative. Nice strumming--this is catchy.

Shade & Honey - Really smooth guitar work, I'm picking up on some Mark Knopfler vibes, yet this is distinctly your own as well.

Next Door Neighbors - The acoustic guitar plus the almost rap-like vocals are an interesting mix, but it works. I like the many layers of vocals. Reminds me of Cage the Elephant.

Robyn Mackenzie - Meee. I had a lot of fun with this song! Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Toby Roktot wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:59 am
Full disclosure ... please discount my song. It was written for a fight several years ago and is just one I like to do live.
Yeah, I'm sorry but that is a flagrant violation of one of the very few actual rules we have around here. I'm going to pull your song from the fight. In the future if you just want to share a song we have lots of threads for doing that here on the boards.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Robyn: it's my second song this month about Grey's Anatomy. And yes, it is indeed a wild ride. And completely over the top in how cartoonish some of the plot lines get.

V-fib! Patient's crashing! (Suction gurgles)
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Toby Roktot »

Hey Lunk,
No worries, i was just havin a little fun...
Cya,
Toby
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Toby Roktot wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:47 pm
Hey Lunk,
No worries, i was just havin a little fun...
Cya,
Toby
It's not a big deal, please do feel free to share your old songs, just not in the fights. If you share a song to the boards a bunch of folks will check it out and comment, so you'll still get some appreciation for and feedback on your song that way, most likely. (You can attach your mp3 file to a post on the boards if you don't have hosting.)
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I’ve started my reviews for this round and am breaking up my listening into groups of five so that I actually get them done. Thank goodness for the draft save option...
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

miscellaneous owl
I love your singing and guitar playing. This is a gorgeous song, like most of your stuff. This was definitely a highlight of the LiveFight, as it is here. One question: What is the additional droney instrument in the background? I really like that.

Johnny Cashpoint
I’m really glad you’re back at it. I really like your songs overall. This one is particularly good. I love the story and lyrics. What really makes it are the background vocals, as they give it the over-the-top looniness it needs to drive this home. Great job.

Tim Hinkle
Great sounding recording right off the bat. I would turn the vocals up a bit for next time [I suck at mixing, so I’m not one to talk]. The performance and the arrangement are flawless. Really like everything about this one. PS. I fucking hate you! [which means a potential vote]

Future Boy
This is almost a cheat since I already LOVED this song for the LiveFight. This new recording of it is even better. This is really a fantastic song. PS. You and your Rhodes can go fuck yourselves [which is code for “I’ll most likely vote for this and I’m insanely jealous”]

Shade & Honey
This has kind of a lo-fi Neil Young feel to it, whether intentional or not, and I totally mean that as a high compliment. Really like the song, but the vocals sound a tad muffled. Very good overall.

Night Sky
Another Neil Young-type-feel-kinda-thing [at least the intro]. The harmonica’s great. Well-constructed song [Am I using WAY to many hyphens in this review?] but nothing particularly grabs me. Having said that, I enjoyed it.

Next Door Neighbors
I kinda like the rustic alt-country-rap feel of this. It sounds like the rhythm track is someone slapping a football or something, which is a positive for me. It could have been a tad tighter, but very good overall.

gizo
I kinda dug the negativity of this song. The song overall is very good, but I think it could’ve used heavier drums to make the arrangement more effective. The lead guitar is superb and suits the song perfectly.

Charm Offensive
Ah! Another one who knows something about recording. Really solid song. My only [extremely petty] complaint is that I wish both vocalists would have consistently sung the words in unison. It seems as though one vocal drops out at random. Again, an extremely petty complaint. Really liked this one.

add
Good, solid song. I particularly liked the keyboards on this track. Really good lyrics, particularly the line “You’ve got nothing to fear but failure.”

Cavedwellers
Like the arrangement here, a guitar in each speaker, both excellent. I would turn up the bass and snare drum. That being said, I really like the lo-fi feel of this. The song itself is fantastic. Kinda like a demo from Television, and that’s high praise, my friend. Great job.

Robyn Mackenzie
Another great one from you. Really great, solid song. Love the energy/positivity of this.

Gwazi
NICE! 2020 is, indeed, fucked. Do I spy a D.O.A. fan? Great job.

Paco del Stinko
Great arrangement, particularly how the full band doesn’t kick in right away. This recording sounds particularly good. Thank you!

Pigfarmer Jr
Another highlight of the LiveFight. Great song. Only slight complaint is the EQ’s a little bit muddy. The performance and song are both superb.

Tomdg
This was also a highlight of the LiveFight. I really liked the solo bass/vocals arrangement of this. But any way you slice it, this is a great song and a great performance.

Sweeney Toad
This is like Kraftwerk meets War. I never quite know what to expect from you, and this is no exception. In this case, it’s an extremely pleasant surprise. Is that a mellotron I hear faintly in the background? The rhythm track sounds like the gunfire from M-79 Ambush.

Sockpuppet
Yet another highlight from the LF last week. Not a big fan of the uke, but this transcends that by quite a bit. The overall instrumentation is fantastic, as usual.

Hot Pink Halo
Really like your stuff, and this was [at the risk of repeating myself] a highlight of the LiveFight. This song is idiosyncratic without being annoying, which is a magic trick few can pull off. Was this the song with the boxing gloves?

Brown Word and the Big Whine
The song’s really good, and the guitar work and vocals are excellent. The drum machine becomes a tad fatiguing after awhile. Also, the lead guitar should be louder in the mix. [Again, these are petty complaints]

Hardmonica
Great sounding recording. This is almost like Metallica meets Butthole Surfers. Really good, solid song.

Lichen Throat
Overall good arrangement. The song didn’t really grab me. I like the keyboard and guitar work.

Phlebia
This is like King Missile meets Dick Dale, if Dick Dale was[were?] a rapper. There’s always an entertaining wackiness in your songs that makes them entertaining. This one is no exception. Love the spoken ending in particular.

Ill Cricket Crew
This is really great. The instrumentation, the arrangement and the lyrics are all excellent. Love the overall effortlessly fun feel of this one. Great job.

Swampy Nethers
This won the LiveFight last week, but I feel like this re-recording is even better. Really does the song justice.

Balls To Monte
This is the same version as the LiveFight. Nothing more to be said, really. ROCK!

Vom Vorton
Really like this one as well. I would turn the drums up in the mix. Only gripe I’ve got with it. Really good.

Glenn Case
Your songs are always excellent, and this one was yet another highlight of the LiveFight. Great job as usual. Your harmonies are always superb and well-balanced in the mix. It’s hard not to hate you for that. ; )
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

gramparsons wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:35 pm
Hot Pink Halo
Really like your stuff, and this was [at the risk of repeating myself] a highlight of the LiveFight. This song is idiosyncratic without being annoying, which is a magic trick few can pull off. Was this the song with the boxing gloves?
Thank you and yes to the gloves!
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl

Post by owl »

gramparsons wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:35 pm
miscellaneous owl
I love your singing and guitar playing. This is a gorgeous song, like most of your stuff. This was definitely a highlight of the LiveFight, as it is here. One question: What is the additional droney instrument in the background? I really like that.
Thanks! That’s another layer of guitar—the fake ebow sustainer on my Vox Starstream modeling guitar, you can see someone demoing that mode here:

And I put some more effects on it in Guitar Rig bc it didn’t sound weird enough yet. I’m looking for excuses to use every dumb sound this guitar makes in a recording, I still have quite a few to go through... banjo, sitar, bass synth, etc.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

wow that’s a lot of songs

a heckin lot

to save some time i’m gonna listen to them all at once

wow this sounds awful
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

20201004 1640 Recording.mp3
(298.23 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

owl wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:24 pm
Thanks! That’s another layer of guitar—the fake ebow sustainer on my Vox Starstream modeling guitar, you can see someone demoing that mode here:

And I put some more effects on it in Guitar Rig bc it didn’t sound weird enough yet. I’m looking for excuses to use every dumb sound this guitar makes in a recording, I still have quite a few to go through... banjo, sitar, bass synth, etc.
Cool. That looks like a great guitar. It sounds amazing.
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl

Post by owl »

fluffy wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:41 pm
20201004 1640 Recording.mp3
This sounds amazing, idk what you mean
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I actually did listen to the whole fight that way because my head is in a very weird place.

I do want to listen to the songs on their own and maybe even review them at some point. Everything feels like so much right now though.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

add: Was it a disney movie, like cinderella or something, that used the harp as a time/perspective shift? That effect you have going reminds me of it, but I can't quite place it and it's driving me crazy. Taking away from an otherwise good listen. Although, it's not ruining it or anything. If anything, it's a cool effect on the arrangement. Wow, that's some good long note holding, too.

Balls To Monte: I like rawking guitars. And your vocal works well with the dirt. This was one of the songs in the live fight that I tagged as a favorite.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: The drums, that repeated 8th note bit, gives a nice bit of energy to the song. It's a bit incessant at times, but I like effect that it gives the song. Cool guitars and I like how well the spoken word bit of the lyric works.

Cavedwellers: Was cool getting to hear this in the live fight. And this sounds pretty damn good. I love those guitars, although they remind me of something that I thought I could place but now can't. Cool vocal inflection on the vocal, especially at the beginning. I like the almost twin lead guitars. Sounding good.

Charm Offensive: Good sounding guitar. I like your voices together, too. And I think the stripped down arrangement works for this melody. It's a charming song. ;)

Future Boy: Another favorite from the live fight. This works so damn well as a vox and rhodes. Damn those keys sound so. damn. good.

gizo: This one stuck out with the negative take on the title. I think your vox and the guitars work very, very well together. There's a synergy there that works well with the lyric.

Glenn Case: You're one of the most consistent submitters in terms of quality/likability (in my own personal opinion.) This one and Vom's were the two catchiest tunes from the live fight determined by how often I was humming these two tunes in the day or two that followed.

Gwazi: Did not expect that. But it's a cool change of pace. Following Glenn Case alphabetically (in the jukebox) didn't do you any favors. But this was cool once I played it out of the song list.

Hardmonica: Oh, cool. This sounds like it's so much fun to sing and play. yeah, this is a good one. Gotta hit repeat on this one.

Hot Pink Halo: I like this melody and I caught myself wondering what the percussion was for like two seconds before I got this big smile on my face remembering the live fight.

Ill Cricket Crew: Damn fine bass on top of cool guitars and the most enticing rhythm of the fight. I can't sit still listening to this. Oi, oi, oi!!!

Johnny Cashpoint: That organ in the background reminds me of some carnival ride music for some reason. Probably combined with the bass, tbh. But I do like this music a lot.

Lichen Throat: I like the rhythm, the drums. And the repeated... well, I'll call it the organ bass line, but that figure works kind of strangely. It's a cool moving line that almost works as a pad because it's not very distinct... but keeps up with the energy in the rhythm track.

miscellaneous owl: Beautiful melody. Another of the favorites from the live fight. Between your voice and your melodies it's not a wonder why so many people enjoy your songs.

Next Door Neighbors: Is that a banjo? Damn, that rhythm is cool. The two vocal lines work so well together. So damn laid back but still has me moving in my chair.

Night Sky: Another good melody. The guitar and the rhythm fit together really well. And that harmonica playing is great.

Paco del Stinko: I love that intro. What a great arrangement. The drumming is great on this song. And your distinct vocal style works great on this one.

Phlebia: Something wrong with my CD player, it sounds like it's skipping every time I start to play your song. But for real, cool chip sound. Is this a record for number of songs with a rap style vocal? That guitar line might be a hair too loud. Or maybe the mix is a little... muddy, fighting with itself. I like the vocal rhythm and phrasing leading up to and on the title line.

Pigfarmer Jr: Played live but this was like take four. Or maybe five. But only the second take that got the whole song. And I spent like ten minutes trying to clean up the track a bit, but gave up pretty quickly. It's supposed to be the live fight, after all.

Robyn Mackenzie: You do indie rock pretty damn well. This one has a kind of throw back, girl rock melody to it that works very well for me. Kind of like the Donnas were pulling off a few years back.

Shade & Honey: I like the guitars on this song. The mix isn't real clear but the song works well. I can't decide how well I like the vocal, but I do like the song itself. You've got a kind of Neil Young vibe going on in the vox that kind of works but seems a bit tentative. I like it more on second listen.

Sockpuppet: There's something just not right singing about your head getting worse and your career going off track, etc., with this sweet melody. I mean it works and is cool, but it's one of those things that is hard to think about. I just gotta shut my eyes and listen and enjoy.

Swampy Nethers: Great rhythm track. Your voices are so damn good together. I want more. Like, you have to give me.. I mean, us... You have to give us more.

Sweeney Toad: That drone-y midrange-y distorted whatever is messing with my head. So that's cool. I like the arrangement, the different bits working together.

Tim Hinkle: Another good melody. It works very well with your lyric. And that drum bit is cool, the snare especially. I couldn't help but smile at "though the world's on fire..." with that melody that seems to lean on the happy factor a bit. I like the drop out and return of the instruments at the end. Nice organ sound.

Tomdg: I remember this bass line. Reminds me a bit of Eight Days A Week.... okay stay with me. If you play it you can sing along, but if you lose your place you have to wait for it to come back around again before starting again or the singing goes out the window. At least for me and my buddies. You might be better than us. I guess that's a long winded way of saying that it's impressive that you played that line and sung it at the same time... with skill... in the live fight.

Vom Vorton: This one (barely) edged Glenn Case for the catchiest song of the live fight (based solely on my humming it more than his at work the next day or two.) I do get a hint of "I melt with you" melodically but not enough that it's justified, I think. Regardless, I like this very much.
(okay, I went and listened and it's not that close, it's just my brain.)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang