Hold your breath for (The Smoke Is Rolling In reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Hold your breath for (The Smoke Is Rolling In reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Hopefully we get a bunch just like last fight.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Hold your breath for (The Smoke Is Rolling In reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please post your lyric here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11929

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Art reviews because we haven't had art reviews in like... forever.

Crumpart - that's cool. My second favorite art submission. Old school meets abstract in a completely appropriate take.
Vom Vorton 1 (cloud with words)- My favorite. Simple, direct and eye catching. Although I could see the Crumpart submission being chosen over this one.
Vom Vorton 2 (ppl under a haze) - Decent entry but unexciting compared to your other submission and Crumpart's art.
PJ 1 (Forest scene) - Generic, but kind of timely. The best thing to be said is that it fits the title and is timely and topical.
PJ 2 (Firefighter) - Also timely and topical. It's a good one for simplicity and directness. Probably my third favorite submission behind Vom 1 and Crumpart... even though I'm the one that submitted it. Maybe I should talk it up more to have a chance to "win" the art fight. Naw!

Edit to add:
Songfight Coverbot - At least as good as my entries. Which reminds me that I actually lost an art fight (or two) to the coverbot when we were the only submitters. That's embarrassing.
Last edited by Pigfarmer Jr on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

21 songs, so far.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Aw, thanks pigfarmer. :)

My art is made from a detail of one of my Octoper drawings from last week. It was one that I hated when I was doing it, but liked when it was dry, and the top corner kind of reminded me of fire. I made a proper scan to make the cover art from, so I might even throw the full drawing up on Redbubble today.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

If anyone sees Geoff Wreckdom, please tell him that my track is um... an homage to one of his masterworks. Rather than, you know, base and vile plagiarism. :shock:
-- reve mosquito.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Just popping in to say that I also really like Vom's smoke cloud cover art. The way the text is layered with the clouds is very evocative.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Thank you! I made the other one first and didn't really like it so I had a second go which worked out a lot better. Unfortunately it looks like I won't have a song in this fight but at least I contributed in another way.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 pm
Songs posted!
Is R. Mosquito and Rackwagon switched around or something? Lyric thread has R. Mosquito's lyrics listed as Rackwagon, I'm confused.
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Yeah it looks like some of the links aren’t right.

Rackwagon links to rmosquito_siri.mp3

I don’t think I could ever sing that cool
.sig
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Shoot, ok. I will check it out.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Should be fixed now. That was the result of a difference of opinion between the Song Fight code and my Jukebox code that helps me during the update process, about how to sort "R. Mosquito" vs "rackwagon" alphabetically. :roll:
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

add
I’m loving the waltzy-zen-goodness of this. The overall song is really great, but the feel of it is even better. Excellent lyrics throughout.

Lichen Throat
Great intro. Having a bit of trouble making out the lyrics. Really love the overall arrangement and feel.

Deadnettlez
Can barely hear this. Was it mixed this low on purpose? What little I can make out is kinda interesting.

Alchemy feat. Copernicus
Nice. Kind of a Jamiroquai vibe going here. Liked this a lot.

Pigfarmer Jr.
This is catchy as hell. And a fucking Timothy McVeigh reference? DAMN! Great performance and song. My favorite so far.

Evermind
Really like the style on this one. There’s a real mystery going on here. It’s like I’m watching the action through aa pinhole in a piece of loose leaf. LOVE the “pretty please” repetition. A definite earworm.

The Pannacotta Army
I really like you guys overall. This is a nice arrangement, especially the bongos and the rhythm guitar. This is another one that gains power with familiarity. Good solo as well.

Night Sky
Do I smell a Chris Wood fan here? Really good performance, but the mix its a tad off. The rhythm section should definitely be louder, but you definitely got something great here.

JP Nickolas
You obviously have some serious musical ability, but for a track like this, you need some bass [if there’s any present I can’t hear it]. Having said that, there’s a a good, interesting song going on here, with some genuinely great guitar work to boot. The vocals are a bit buried. Try mixing them a bit louder as you seem to have a good voice.

Sweeney Toad
Is that a mellotron I hear? Nice touch. This normally wouldn’t be my cup of tea, but, damn, you have a bona fide hit here! The track really sucks you in. Really good arrangement and lyrics. “Frankly it was kinda rude” particularly kills me.

rackwagon
Really good arrangement and guitar work. The vocal could use a boost; you sound like you have a good voice. Very Eno-esque, except when it isn’t. Meaning, it goes from ambient to 11. Really great overall.

Bear Rider
Really like the feel of this one, though maybe dial back the vocal reverb a wee bit next time. This is very impressive given its length. Good job.

Robyn Mackenzie
The feel is very “Wicked Game,” not that it’s a bad thing. Really like your lyrics in general, and this doesn’t disappoint. Just a great, solid song with a great feel, as per usual. Another favorite.

Glenn Case
Solid song, as always. I particularly like the moodiness of this one.The lead guitar work really shines here.

Balls To Monte [me]
Don’t know what to make of this one. I kinda like it. I meant it to be a bit more upbeat, but it came out all “Sundown” by Gordon Lightfoot. The mix seems a bit muddy to me now. Any mixing tips are more than welcome.

Paco del Stinko
Sounds like Bono trying to sing while almost immobile from smoking too much hash. I LOVE this! I truly wish I’d written this one. DAMN YOU!!! Another favorite with added middle finger [I’m just jealous].

R. Mosquito
Judas Priest LIVES!! Good stuff. The track is a tad hot and it drags a bit, but I only say this because it’s really good otherwise. Did I mention “good stuff”?

Nick Soma
Nice instrumentation. This is a really good song. You’ve either done this many times before, or you’re an established pop star who is chic slumming. Either way, great job.

Hot Pink Halo
Really like the instrumentation on this one, but the vocals are mixed a bit low. Despite this, you always seem to know how to paint a hearty aural landscape [not to get too pretentious]. Loved the performance overall.

Future Boy
I really enjoyed the topicality/timeliness of this, with global warming and all, mostly because it’s not used merely as a novelty. I’m guessing the chorus’ similarity to “When The Saints Go Marchin’ In” was intentional. Great job, either way.

Phlebia
More hardcore Atari-Rock. But this time, there’s a particularly good lyric and story. I always love your style and production values, and this is no exception. You’re not dead!!!!!!!

Brown Word and the Big Whine
Again, you kinda work the Ween vein, but in a very good way. Here, it’s kinda like Ween meets Peter Gabriel’s third album. Really great, lovingly layered track. Great job.
Last edited by genecawley on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
mholland
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Saxophones and other things
Recording Method: Scarlett 18i20, Logic
Submitting as: Night Sky

Post by mholland »

gramparsons wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 pm
Night Sky
Do I smell a Chris Wood fan here? Really good performance, but the mix its a tad off. The rhythm section should definitely be louder, but you definitely got something great here.
Wow, thanks. I must admit that I don't know Chris Wood, but I'll check him out. This started with lyrics written by my wife, and her idea for a march feel. Given the subject matter (blue fire = blue wave, and that's DJT or his proxies in the red hot victory dress), I thought a celebratory funereal march was appropriate, so I thought New Orleans and second line. I think the rhythm section needs a boost because I drove the clave part of the beat into the ground by playing it on the bari and tenor, AND the (synth) kalimba, AND kinda on the guitar, so it all sort of blended together and overwhelmed the drums. When I mixed it I kept turning everything down and adding gain stages to the drums, but I think there was just too much clave and not enough snare. Also, the timing in the horns is a little sloppy. But it was mad fun to play the soprano through the wah, so I really appreciate the side challenge for adding that dimension to the experience.
Night Sky is Sally on lyrics, Steve on drums, and Matt on the other stuff
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

mholland wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:51 pm
Wow, thanks. I must admit that I don't know Chris Wood, but I'll check him out. This started with lyrics written by my wife, and her idea for a march feel. Given the subject matter (blue fire = blue wave, and that's DJT or his proxies in the red hot victory dress), I thought a celebratory funereal march was appropriate, so I thought New Orleans and second line. I think the rhythm section needs a boost because I drove the clave part of the beat into the ground by playing it on the bari and tenor, AND the (synth) kalimba, AND kinda on the guitar, so it all sort of blended together and overwhelmed the drums. When I mixed it I kept turning everything down and adding gain stages to the drums, but I think there was just too much clave and not enough snare. Also, the timing in the horns is a little sloppy. But it was mad fun to play the soprano through the wah, so I really appreciate the side challenge for adding that dimension to the experience.
Chris Wood was the saxophonist/clarinetist/flautist from an amazing group called Traffic. I sometimes wrongly assume everybody is as old as I am, but I meant that as a super-high compliment. Having witnessed only one second line funeral in New Orleans [which makes my judgement somewhat suspect], I think you nailed it.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

gramparsons wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 pm
rackwagon
Judas Priest LIVES!! Good stuff. The track is a tad hot and it drags a bit, but I only say this because it’s really good otherwise. Did I mention “good stuff”?

R. Mosquito
Really good arrangement and guitar work. The vocal could use a boost; you sound like you have a good voice. Very Eno-esque, except when it isn’t. Meaning, it goes from ambient to 11. Really great overall.
I don’t know much Judas Priest, but I do have a *slight* suspicion that these reviews were either written before lunkhead fixed that name code mixup problem or you’re listening in a podcast app like me and these two are still back to front...
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

They were swapped for me when I listened last night. I figured out what was wrong pretty quickly when all of a sudden R. Mosquito had Gizo on vocals and sounded like slowdive and Rackwagon sounded like Sabbath singing about pigeons.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:23 am
They were swapped for me when I listened last night. I figured out what was wrong pretty quickly when all of a sudden R. Mosquito had Gizo on vocals and sounded like slowdive and Rackwagon sounded like Sabbath singing about pigeons.
Were you using the RSS feed? I am realizing now I probably need to also go fix it in that file as well. Doh! Or maybe you had the home page open in a browser tab still from before I fixed it and you didn't hit refresh?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The swapped MP3s should be fixed in the podcast RSS now too.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

I was using SF jukebox. Does that use the same feed?
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by genecawley »

crumpart wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:37 pm

I don’t know much Judas Priest, but I do have a *slight* suspicion that these reviews were either written before lunkhead fixed that name code mixup problem or you’re listening in a podcast app like me and these two are still back to front...
OK. I've swapped out the two reviews. Thanks.