I drink alone because (I'd Rather Drink With The Devil reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

I drink alone because (I'd Rather Drink With The Devil reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

But as long as I'm drinking...
Last edited by Lunkhead on Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: make normal
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: I drink alone because (I'd Rather Drink With The Devil reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Please post your lyric to the appropriate thread so we can all- ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ - admire you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12078
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
daveyboy103
A New Player
Instruments: Bass, Keys Guitar in that order
Recording Method: Logic Pro X and a ton of 3rd party plugins
Submitting as: David G Harrington
Pronouns: meh!

Post by daveyboy103 »

Lunkhead wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 pm
Songs posted!
I sent in a song but I don't see it posted this week? any ideas why not?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The reason this happens is generally some kind of glitch during the update process. I'll investigate when I have a chance.
daveyboy103
A New Player

Post by daveyboy103 »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:13 pm
The reason this happens is generally some kind of glitch during the update process. I'll investigate when I have a chance.
Thanks dude, did a lot of wrk on that song.

D.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Fixed. My script for downloading all the songs from the emails in the Fightmaster inbox seems to have skipped yours for no apparent reason. :/
daveyboy103
A New Player

Post by daveyboy103 »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:35 pm
Fixed. My script for downloading all the songs from the emails in the Fightmaster inbox seems to have skipped yours for no apparent reason. :/
Maybe it's a script with musical taste :)

Thanks for sorting it for me.
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

I just got through one review:
Sumner Sloane: Great feeling and attitude, cool riff, cool vocal dips. It sounds like a deep cut off a thrift store George Harrison album from the 80s. Vote
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

These are my favorite tracks.

If you don't see your name here, I listened to your song, I liked it, and you're totally a winner in my book! If you really want me to criticize your track and say why I didn't pick it as a favorite... listen to my crappy track, and then rethink whether you really want my opinion. You're probably better off without it because -- obvs-- I'm a dork with an accordion.

Cazara Taro
Disfrute tu cancion, pero tambien me gusta la ciencia. Pero... no veo al diablo aqui... o bebiendo? No entiendo. De todos modos... tu beatses were dope but I'm not totally sure how well the vocoder worked. So porque no diablo o bebiendo... partial credit?

Foto Fridge
Admittedly, I'm rather a sucker for both Kim Jung Il and Aaron Neville references, so wow, you deserve some sort of prize here. Personally, I could have skipped the chorus effect on the vocals but if you think it's the right call I support you.

Lichen Throat
I always enjoy your tracks -- this is no exception. One day I hope to be as cool as you.

Paco
Your tracks are always professional. BUT clearly I haven't been paying attention, as I don't think that I've ever heard you do this kind of slide work before. Anyway, kudos -- it really works for the track. This is a little different from what your usual thing, and I like it a lot.

Phleb
Yeah man you killed it as usual. I wish I was following a weaker track, sigh.

Robyn M.
Heeaaavy. The harmonies are great, but would it have worked better as an acoustic-type track? I don't know.

spite
I liked this as well. I have a super short attention span and therefore would have probably tightened it up, but well done.

***!!! Yaks of the Industry !!!***
YOU ARE THE WINNERS AND I WISH I WAS IN YOUR BAND. Seriously though, I have a collection of vintage synthesizers so if you ever wanna hang out.... call me.
-- reve mosquito.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Brown Word and the Big Whine—I love the intro. Your vocal recording sounds a little thin; I think a fuller-sounding recording would suit this song better. Your delivery in the spoken word parts is very good.

CazaroTaro—Give us a fatter low end. The effect on the vocals (or parallel synths, whatever it is) is cool. The ending feels a little abrupt.

David G. Harrington—I like the piano line, with the unexpected drop. I’d like to hear this with a more epic-sounding effect on the vocal: maybe more reverb or something. Good song overall.

Duncan Martin—This might be my favorite of yours. Nice rhythm. The not-quite-matching doubled vocal works pretty well; I like the slightly different tones in each ear.

The Economy Biscuits—Cool guitar line in the intro. Somehow this feels quiet even if I turn it up; maybe the vocal needs to be mixed more up-front? The performances are all very good.

Flaming Tiger—This is just right: perfect speed, good vocal delivery, good mix, ooohhs at the right time, adequately aggressive. Very much enjoyed.

Foto Fridge—This feels more like a long intro than a full song, but I think it would work well in that context. Your voice sounds cool, as do the horn tones.

Jeff DeSantis—This feels so comfortable, as if you’ve been playing it for years. Solid as a granite boulder. I enjoyed this a lot. The guitar and drums sound great, and your vocal fits well in the mix. I feel like I’m watching this live in a club even when I’m sitting at my desk. That fourth measure of the intro/outro is so good.

Lichen Throat (me)—I think the aesthetic concept lacks cohesion, but on the other hand, the vocals aren’t as bad as usual.

mellfire—The strummed guitar sounds good. I like the instrumental melodies. The vocal harmonies in the chorus are good too. I almost feels like there’s a piece missing, but you’ve got all instruments that it seems like you would need, so maybe my perception is just weird.

Moody Vermin—This mix is excellent; everything sounds clear and distinct. I think I might have needed to listen to this a few more times before fully appreciating it. Just the great instrument sounds and musicianship makes this an enjoyable listen.

Paco del Stinko—Nice slide work. Your vocal style fits well with the content of the song. Good instrumental performances too.

Phlebia—This appears to be good exemplar of its genre, which you’re slowly getting me to appreciate. The low end sounds good, and your vocal is delivered well. The short stop near the end is a good idea.

R. Mosquito—Fun from the first note. This reminds me of something that I can’t quite place. Everything seems in its proper place to make a wild, freewheeling song. I like it.

Robyn Mackenzie—Good mix this time. Your vocal delivery has just the right amount of sadness to support the lyrical content without going over the top. Very, very good song.

Rob the Bunman—I like the muted guitar. This feels complete and well realized. The drums seem like they could use more emphasis on the low frequencies. Good solo.

Sir Chorizo—The mix feels just a little muddy; can you get more separation? I think it I like it. It reminds me of one of those Ivy League hobby bands (e.g., Bishop Allen) (which I realized doesn’t inherently sound desirable, but I usually like that kind of music).

Sly Eli—You’ve been on a roll lately, and this is another good one. Enough weirdness to make it interesting, not too much to make it unlistenable. Thumbs up.

spite—That main guitar line is so simple, but it sounds great and works well in the song. Excellent vocals; I wouldn’t mind them a little louder in the mix. The bursting into the chorus is just right, as is the mandolin or whatever that is. I also like the smooth, quick transition back to the verse.

Sumner Sloane—This is pretty solid, but it doesn’t grab me. I’m sorry that I couldn’t find anything more meaningful to say about it.

Sweeney Toad—Lots of separation in the mix, which sounds good. I really like your vocal delivery in the chorus.

Yaks of the Industry—This is the kind of song that I would have liked when I was a teenager but would have been embarrassed to say so. I’m not embarrassed now, though—this is great. The vocal melodies, in particular, are so, so good.
Economy Biscuits
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Synth, drums (programmed)
Recording Method: Reaper, Bias FX, EZDrummer, etc.
Submitting as: The Economy Biscuits
Pronouns: yes

Post by Economy Biscuits »

Flaming Tiger:
Grabed me right from the beginning. Love the high energy. Great oohs and ahhs.

R. Mosquito:
Another great, upbeat tune with some great dynamics. Great lyrics. I really like the breakdowns and how everything sits with each other. Really great mix.

Sly Eli:
Big synths and I love the atmosphere. I'm always down with some arpeggiation and yours fits right in. Whatever that buzzy thing is at the end... I want more!

Moody Vermin:
That bassline rocks. I love hearing everyone's influences and yours sounds def reminds me of one of my favorites, tool. Am I off? Either way, loved it.

CazaroTaro:
Another big synth song! I do wish there was a little more sub here. I'm listening on my sony mdr7506 cans and missing some phatness to hold everything up. Otherwise, great!

Paco del Stinko:
Heck yeah! Love how this takes off. Feels like you might be pushing your vocals out a comfort zone and I really love how it sounds - brings some fire to this fight and I appreciate it. The walking bass kept me glued to this song right when I was about to bail. Nicely done.

Foto Fridge:
I could never pull off minimalism like you've done here. Breaking things down to a few instruments can really show performance errors and yours stands up. Feels like you could write these all day and I'm a bit envious!

mellfire:
If I ever get to recording acoustic guitars, I'd hope to come close to what you've done. Vocals are great and bass is mixed just right (for me). Great songwriting.

Yaks of the Industry.:
That's a wall of sound! So much great stuff going on. Lots of twists and turns. You've obviously got your sound nailed. Excellent work.Honestly, this is really good and I suspect others agree.

Robyn Mackenzie:
Great lyrics and your vocals have a nice warmth. Great harmonies as well!

Brown Word and the Big Whine:
This reminds me of some of my favorite PJ Harvey riffs. I love the guitars. What amp/sim are you using for the guitars?

Rod The Bunman:
This fight has some great mics going on. What are you using for your vocals? I've got a nasally voice by nature but would love to try to lower stuff that sounds like yours. Feels like Neil Young meets Elvis Costello right before closing the bar. Loved it.

Phlebia:
I. Love. This. Riff. I also love Helmet and I love this song! Gritty and nasty in all the right ways. You've nailed everything I love but for one thing: I realllllllly want to hear the screams and growls to match the instruments. Totally niticking though, this was my favorite in the fight. Really well done and I am 100% jealous I cant write a solid Helmet song this good. \m/

Sir Chorizo:

The air in this mix is lifting me out of my late-morning, post coffee lull. Short and sweet.

Duncan Martin:
What are your influences or inspirations? There's a really cool rythm to your vocals and a pleasant tension between the vocals and the background oogs/ahhs.

spite:
This immediately pulled me in. What a lovely melody and another great set of vocals. Very tight and, like Yaks, you've got a full, complete sound. I really enjoyed listening to this (multiple times!)

Jeff DeSantis:
If the vocals were just a tad lower, this would be the best mix in the bunch. That said, you'll note I run my vocals low so it's prob me. I must be in a weird mood 'cos I keep hearing Elvis Costello (which is great) Seriously, everything here is working for me and it sounds amazing. Love the tone on the lead guitar.

Lichen Throat:
Very cool arrangement with lots of interesting bits to look for. I enjoyed listening to each instrument.

Sumner Sloane:
Jumps right in and love that I have to catch up! Have you considered spreading out the guitars left/right? I always go overboard so prob just my ears.

David G. Harrington:
I thing the production is emphasizing a bit of vocal highs (simblance? can a pro help me out here?) that took me a minute to get used to. I think maybe easing into and out of the takes might help transition a little easier. I really dig how the piano moves around.

Sweeney Toad:
I wish there were more of this in the fight. Beats galore. Also, and not your fault, the water swooshes are yanking me in and out of the clever lyrics (I have a bit of misophonia...) That said, addiction is no joke and you've captured a window into it with this. Not my favorite genre but this is nicely done.

The Economy Biscuits: Yours truly.
I started off wanting to tongue-and-cheek my way through the song but found myself coming to terms with the fact I will always love late 90s of metal. I went for AudioSlave (pardon the ripped off melody, RIP CC...) meets Tenacious D. I'm also learning to mix and, as a guitar guy, I tend to overdo... everything, lol. Had a comment the vocals which was spot on. It's always after a few days of submitting that I get a bit more objective about listening to my own stuff. I've remixed it a bit to compression and bringing the vocals a bit forward.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Economy Biscuits wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 am
Phlebia:
I. Love. This. Riff. I also love Helmet and I love this song! Gritty and nasty in all the right ways. You've nailed everything I love but for one thing: I realllllllly want to hear the screams and growls to match the instruments. Totally niticking though, this was my favorite in the fight. Really well done and I am 100% jealous I cant write a solid Helmet song this good. \m/

The Economy Biscuits: Yours truly.
I started off wanting to tongue-and-cheek my way through the song but found myself coming to terms with the fact I will always love late 90s of metal. I went for AudioSlave (pardon the ripped off melody, RIP CC...) meets Tenacious D. I'm also learning to mix and, as a guitar guy, I tend to overdo... everything, lol. Had a comment the vocals which was spot on. It's always after a few days of submitting that I get a bit more objective about listening to my own stuff. I've remixed it a bit to compression and bringing the vocals a bit forward.
HAAA I CALLED THE AUDIOSLAVE WHEN MY WIFE AND I WERE LISTENING TO THESE. Well. Sort of. I believe the conversation went "this backing track sounds like RATM but without Zack". I thought your Chris Cornell vocals came across way more John Garcia. But that's okay, I dug it and it was my jam this fight.

As for Helmet: I was trying really hard not to rip-off Wilma's Rainbow. Tell you what though...I prefer Page Hamilton's clean vocals to his screams and growls. He may not have the greatest range in the world but I dig them so much more when they're in "alternative" mode. Aftertaste is probably the album of theirs I listen to the most.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Economy Biscuits wrote:
Duncan Martin:
What are your influences or inspirations? There's a really cool rhythm to your vocals and a pleasant tension between the vocals and the background oogs/ahhs.
Thanks for reviewing. I'm still aiming to finish mine after doing just 1. I guess there are a whole lot of influences, but I'm going to guess that Telephone Road by Steve Earle (https://youtu.be/tGnUsl1Azms) is a subconscious influence on this, especially those dudes at 1:35. I also really love John Hartford's vocal phrasing and all the jokes he makes in his songs, that just seem to bounce along pretty conversationally. The oohs and ahhs are just because I love all that Tin Pan Alley pop from the oldies stations.
daveyboy103
A New Player

Post by daveyboy103 »

Economy Biscuits wrote:

David G. Harrington:
I thing the production is emphasizing a bit of vocal highs (simblance? can a pro help me out here?) that took me a minute to get used to. I think maybe easing into and out of the takes might help transition a little easier. I really dig how the piano moves around.
You're not wrong on that. Tough to get this balance right in such a sparse arrangement and a not brilliant vocalist.

I have remixed and mastered it:

Have a listen and let me know if you think it is better?

https://soundcloud.com/davidharrington/ ... -the-devil

Thanks for listening and giving feedback
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

Economy Biscuits wrote:

Rod The Bunman:
This fight has some great mics going on. What are you using for your vocals? I've got a nasally voice by nature but would love to try to lower stuff that sounds like yours. Feels like Neil Young meets Elvis Costello right before closing the bar. Loved it.
Hey! Thanks for the positive feedback! The vocals were done with my Neumann condenser mic going through an SSL2+. I just got it last year and I'm still learning where to place it and myself, I've never used anything so sensitive and I'm kind of a brute when it comes to recording. I like both Neil and Elvis so any comparison with them works for me!
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

Liner notes from my perspective:

Moody Vermin: Evermind had the idea to do a Tool homage, it's his mix and his bassline, so give him all the props. Roy put in the usual brilliant work with loops to make a euphonious cacophony. I was just saying to those guys that if we were to redo the song, I would make the guitar sound less specifically Tool (I didn't have a Diezel but I did create a hybrid Superbass and Dual Rec, with a Les Paul Custom, wrong pickup, but who's counting) and I think that would go a long way to making it sound a little less straight homage. And the intro, which is clearly a Tool ripoff haha.

spite: Sort of stayed in a postpunk kind of vibe for this, we're still developing a sound for this group but I think it's coming along pretty well in terms of being kind of like, less edgy Pixies or something. Vom came in with that spare but interweaving guitar line, Owl and Vom kill the vocals as usual. Owl always has great ideas for little layers which are fun to mix, as you get to think about how you're going to place the ear candy. My goal with these spite songs so far has been to get a lush sound, which I think suits the vocalists, a cloud they can sit on. That solo is probably a third take, I wanted to keep this one loose and try to stay in the vibe. I did sneak in one transitional bit of sweep picking for no good reason though.

Yaks of the Industry: these collabs with these guys are always so much fun, basically just a lot of shit talking happens for a week and somehow a song comes out of it. This one features Futureboy on the Rhodes and Lunkhead ripping it up on synths and electric toms. In our Yaks chat I don't think we ever decided exactly which year of the 80s this song would fit into--it's almost more of a metacommentary about the 80s rather than being of them. The solo is like a millionth take, putting together a bunch of 80s cliches really. I have to say I enjoyed the way the solo break comes out of the bridge, just emerges from the water all dripping, clasping at a bikini top, oh wait no that was Phoebe Cates. I...may...need a moment.
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

My votes went to:

Paco del Stinko - having heard many many of your songs over the years I knew this title was right in your wheelhouse and you did not disappoint. A fun listen just like the best Paco songs are.

Rod the Bunman - This is my song with my friend Tom, now our 2nd after 27 years! What fun to write and record with Tom again! I thought we had a good song here and I enjoyed doing it.

Jeff DeSantis - This one is crazy good. I love the power pop vibe here and the lyric structure and music match perfectly. Usually going four minutes or more is a negative for me with songs and this was right at 4:00, but it kept my interest and worked. Well done!

Robyn Mackenzie - If I was only allowed to vote for one song, this would be it. If I heard this on the radio I would seek out your music, it's that good. Great great writing, and excellent developed production choices. Kept me interested through the 4:12 length which is longer than I normally prefer. Way to go!

spite - loved this one. Very cool vibe, great vocals that matched the song really well.
robynmackenzie
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Robyn Mackenzie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by robynmackenzie »

bambamoozle wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm
Robyn Mackenzie - If I was only allowed to vote for one song, this would be it. If I heard this on the radio I would seek out your music, it's that good. Great great writing, and excellent developed production choices. Kept me interested through the 4:12 length which is longer than I normally prefer. Way to go!
Wow, thanks so much! It was a difficult song to write emotionally, but also very healing.
CazaroTaro
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

My review methodology is:

1. I listen to each song, all the way through, at least twice.
2. I do read the lyrics.
3. I do not read comments of other reviewers prior to posting.
4. I separate the songs into 3 categories:
a. Songs that probably will get a vote
b. Songs that may get a vote
c. Songs that probably won’t get a vote
5. I vote for 20% of the songs rounded to the nearest integer. For this round, I will be voting for 4 songs. I do not vote for myself.

Results:

Category 1: Probably Will Get a Vote

R. Mosquito

Category 2: May Get a Vote

Brown Word and the Big Whine
Duncan Martin
Flaming Tiger
Jeff DeSantis
Lichen Throat
mellfire
Paco del Stinko
Phlebia
Robyn MacKenzie
Sumner Sloane
Sweeney Toad
Yaks of the Industry

Category 3: Probably Won't Get a Vote

David G. Harrington
The Economy Biscuits
Jeff DeSantis
Moody Vermin
Rod the Bunman
Sir Chorizo
Sly Eli
spite
slyeli
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Recording Method: Ableton Live, Mackie Onyx 1620, Rode K2, Orange Tiny Terror
Submitting as: Sly Eli

Post by slyeli »

Brown Word and the Big Whine - the breakdown bass sections in this is really good. I like the whole thing but the guitar section sounds a little disconnected from the other synth sections. I'd like to hear some of the synth or drum sounds continue into the guitar sections to tie the two parts together.

CazaroTaro - this sounds like Billie Jean, if was written by a sentient toaster from the future that wants the human race to wipe itself out. I like it, it's got a beat and you can dance to it.

David G. Harrington - woah that's a lot of sibilance. I like reverb heavy vocals but this mix seems to emphasis the high end clicks and ssssss. Aside from that the song sounds good. You've got to have an amazing voice and hook or a strong story to the lyrics to sustain a whole song with only a piano. I think it would make the song more memorable if you started with the piano and brought in more instruments as the song progresses.

Duncan Martin - I like the lyrics in this, it's a clever concept. The mix is quite click heavy both on the kick beat and the sidestick beat, I think you need a bit more bass to balance that out.

The Economy Biscuits - I thought the whole devil would bring the metal and you don't disappoint. The vocal sounds too low in the mix. From what I can hear you sound like a descent singer so get in my face with it.

Flaming Tiger - this is good, I enjoyed listening to it. I don't remember much about it afterwards though, other than the staccato vocals in the verse. I think you need a better chorus hook to really blow me away. It still gets my vote.

Foto Fridge - Is this Heine under a different name? The start of this sounds very corny, I'm not a fan. It gets better when you start drawing out the trumpet sounds. It's mainly the 'going round the mountain' part that I don't like. The best bit is when the piano comes in at the end but then you stop. If it were me I'd take the ending and develop that into a song, as that's the most interesting part.

Jeff DeSantis - I'm hearing a country vibe to this. It's a pleasant listen. It's too easy listening for my tastes but well put together and a decent song.

Lichen Throat - Your lyrics are always very poetic and your voice reminds me a bit of Iggy Pop reciting Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night over one of his tracks. I think your lyrics in this would sound good spoken over an ambient soundscape too. I'm enjoying the verse but I don't think the chorus melody is as strong as some of your recent songs.

mellfire - this is pretty catchy and has some nice moments in it, like the guitar solo. It's quite samey throughout though. I'd like to hear a bit more variety in the different sections, to make them more memorable.

Moody Vermin - nice switch up in the intro, bringing in the heavier guitar. The music has an epic build up quality, sort of like The End by The Doors. I'm not a fan of the vocals though, they don't sound confident enough. For this kind of music I think they should be up front and delivered with some gravitas.

Paco del Stinko - I like your Ry Cooder style riffery and guitar playing in general. The melodies not really doing it for me though and it makes me notice the off pitch slips in the vocals more than on your other songs.

Phlebia - woah that's some strong riffing in the intro. I like it. The instruments in this all sound great. Your vocal seems a bit bored though, like you don't want to be singing. I'd love it if you really shouted at me. It gets my vote though for making me sit up and listen.

R. Mosquito - I'm getting a lot of vocals and snare from this mix but I can't hear much else. I like the stop and gradual speed up section. I guess the only bit that I don't like is the beginning which feels too long before you start switching things up.

Robyn Mackenzie - the first thing that hits me is that your guitar sounds a bit flat. It makes the whole song sound out of tune to me. I like your vocal though, particularly in the chorus when you add in the harmonies.

Rod The Bunman - the mix makes this sound like it's coming out of some crappy tiny speaker transistor radio. It strips all the impact from what could be a rocking song.

Sir Chorizo - your whispered oh ohs remind me of a band called The Thrills. I think for that reason I'm enjoying this, good work.

spite - this is good and switches to great when the "drink with the devil" section comes in. I feel like it could have come in earlier though as the verse does drag a little. The instrumentation is particularly well chosen to fit in with the smooth vocal. You get my vote.

Sumner Sloane - the first thing that hits me in this is the lack of bass in the mix. It makes it sound very tinny. This is pretty good though, I was tapping my foot along to it, so that tells you something.

Sweeney Toad - I like the verse in this but there's a wavering of the vocal high notes, in the chorus, that puts me off a bit. I enjoyed listening to this though.

Yaks of the Industry - and a bit of cheesy pop to finish. This a pleasant listen but the electro pop clichés, like the descending synth drum tom rolls, make me cringe a bit. It's still a well put together song but it isn't doing it for me.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

slyeli wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:08 am
Phlebia - woah that's some strong riffing in the intro. I like it. The instruments in this all sound great. Your vocal seems a bit bored though, like you don't want to be singing. I'd love it if you really shouted at me. It gets my vote though for making me sit up and listen.
Heh..."slacker 90s boredom" was kind of what I was going for: see most of the vocals on Helmet's album "Aftertaste" for an example where Page swapped out his usual gruff bark for a more melodic style. The primary reason I haven't been yelling in too many fights lately is that I have to record most of my vocals these days with a baby in the room. Plus I'm not sure how to really get a pitched scream within my normal vocal range and get a timbre that actually pleases me. I mean I guess if I wanted to sound like Serj Tankian in his absurd melodramatic glory I could probably come close but that's about it.

Basically I *have* to record my drums during the daytime because they're loud, so I can just park the stroller about 20 feet away (for the sake of his ears) and look over and grin periodically while I record them. Typically this only takes me playing through the song about 5 or 6 times while recording and just cutting it to the best take. Not that time consuming at all because from a musical standpoint, drums are probably my strongest instrument. Guitar/bass tracks I record directly line in so even though they're loud, it's only loud through headphones.

Vocals -- take me longer, I have to warm up more, and in order to really get into it I have to do a lot more takes. Out of earshot of course, which is a problem when the tiny one doesn't really have regular sleep patterns yet. Otherwise I'm in my garage while everyone is trying to sleep screaming my lungs out. I think that would piss off my wife lol. So songs like my "Another Mystery Solved" where the vocals are basically just a rhythmic scream nearly the whole song are kind of out of the question until I can adequately isolate without having to worry about being interrupted by the demands of infant-parenthood. My "White Morph" entry had the harsh vocals at the end, but those were recorded separately during the day and also HEAVILY edited because I couldn't hit the pitch I was going for at all. So I'll get back to putting OOMPH into stuff sooner or later but it'll be awhile unfortunately.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.