The stairway to heaven leads to (A Long Plastic Hallway reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The stairway to heaven leads to (A Long Plastic Hallway reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Wuxtry wins by a flood, er, landslide. :roll:
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

Friendslide? Landflood? At least they have solved the riddle of the Question to the Answer
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

🤠
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratz to all of the songs that finished within a couple of votes of each other. Solid fight.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Congrats on the win, Yaks.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Duncan
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Sax, Clarinet, Harmonica, Voice
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Duncan Martin

Post by Duncan »

Thanks to the 5 different strangers who voted for my song
truth
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Cavedwellers, Yardley Social Scene, Katy & the Dwellers, Tindersoot, Mandibles

Post by truth »

As producer and maybe 5% writer of Wuxtry’s “a long plastic hallway”:

1) This is the first song written by my bandmate. I’m extremely proud of her! My first song at 16 was total crap, and took months to write. Finishing a song, for me, was a triumph in itself. This song is way better and took a week.

2) Thank you for all the reviews! The whole point of this entry was giving her a forced deadline and getting feedback on her songwriting. I rarely write reviews myself, and have yet almost completed mine. Don’t know how I missed Tommy’s show, but I enjoyed hearing all the songs this round.

3) I told exactly ONE of my bandmate’s friends, a musician herself, about this fight. I suggested she might vote for Wuxtry and at least one other song that she liked, because it would be encouraging for her to have a decent showing. I think word spread, If not my explanation of the spirit of the competition. As for my bandmate, I didn’t even bother giving her the URL. Anyway, I hope we hear more from her!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Well hey, hopefully winning this little fight will inspire her to keep on going! Hopefully her next win will be from folks who listened to all the songs. :)
governingdynamics
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: PreSonus Studio One 5, Sono Audient interface
Submitting as: Governing Dynamics, The Alleviators
Pronouns: he/they

Post by governingdynamics »

truth wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:39 am
As producer and maybe 5% writer of Wuxtry’s “a long plastic hallway”:

1) This is the first song written by my bandmate. I’m extremely proud of her! My first song at 16 was total crap, and took months to write. Finishing a song, for me, was a triumph in itself. This song is way better and took a week.

2) Thank you for all the reviews! The whole point of this entry was giving her a forced deadline and getting feedback on her songwriting. I rarely write reviews myself, and have yet almost completed mine. Don’t know how I missed Tommy’s show, but I enjoyed hearing all the songs this round.

3) I told exactly ONE of my bandmate’s friends, a musician herself, about this fight. I suggested she might vote for Wuxtry and at least one other song that she liked, because it would be encouraging for her to have a decent showing. I think word spread, If not my explanation of the spirit of the competition. As for my bandmate, I didn’t even bother giving her the URL. Anyway, I hope we hear more from her!
That's very cool. Gotta train up the next generation of fighters and I wish I'd known (or had enforced the way SF/ST does) the forced deadline approach 10 or 15 years sooner. And yeah that song was definitely way out of the range of my abilities at 16.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

FWIW, the way I phrase my self-promotion posts is: "Hey y'all, I have a song up this week at songfight.org, as Sockpuppet. I'd appreciate if people would listen to all the songs and vote for the ones they like." That phrasing seems to prevent people from going all friendfloody on me. But it also probably helps that I talk about Song Fight! enough that folks know that there's no prize involved or whatever. People who aren't familiar with the site generally assume that winning gets you anything.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Honestly I could not even get my friends to click a link let alone vote, let alone listen to my song, let alone listen to all the songs, etc. Even if I offered to pay people, my friends are just not that interested. :lol:
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Friends care about your stuff if they are also involved, or if it’s your first or second one, or... and this is key... somebody you don’t know tells them about your stuff independently and they get some status from your connection. And even then they’ll likely accept the social points and still not listen to your stuff.

Friends! Pfah!
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

I self promote on my old MySpace account but it doesn’t seem to be working...
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks
Pronouns: n/a

Post by mo »

what are these "friends" you guys keep talking about
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

Lunkhead wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:04 pm
Honestly I could not even get my friends to click a link let alone vote, let alone listen to my song, let alone listen to all the songs, etc. Even if I offered to pay people, my friends are just not that interested. :lol:
This is what the first verse of my Plastic Hallway is about:

One of the things you learn, no one pays attention
One of the things you learn, you won't be mentioned
You've got your family maybe a friend or two
No one else cares all that much they'll never notice you

It was a great disappointment of my life that when I somehow managed to become a competent songwriter and performer, and then had a CD, no one really gave a crap. They liked that I did it but actually listening was too much trouble. They say that the average person stops looking for new music at age 28. I think they rounded up alot, it's way before that.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

bambamoozle wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:29 pm

It was a great disappointment of my life that when I somehow managed to become a competent songwriter and performer, and then had a CD, no one really gave a crap. They liked that I did it but actually listening was too much trouble. They say that the average person stops looking for new music at age 28. I think they rounded up alot, it's way before that.
Yes, that's one of the reasons I love SongFight. I can spam the same set of friends with my songs over and over that DON'T care about the fact that I'm making music. Or I can spam a supportive group of online friends with my music with my songs over and over and actually get people to listen and give me feedback, even if my song is garbage! And bonus, some of them write good songs too and it becomes a reciprocal relationship!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

that’s true too, I’ll be making lots of music and telling everyone about it and people will just kind of ignore it, and then later i’ll mention that my album isn’t doing very well and they’ll be like “Album? I didn’t know you made music”

The other really frustrating thing is that I’ll release an album and tell the one friend who actually does care about it, and the first thing they ask is, “Oh cool. is it on Spotify?”

Then there’s the friend who insists on buying it on CD, because she wants a physical artifact to collect.
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by SweeneyToad »

fluffy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:04 am
that’s true too, I’ll be making lots of music and telling everyone about it and people will just kind of ignore it, and then later i’ll mention that my album isn’t doing very well and they’ll be like “Album? I didn’t know you made music”

The other really frustrating thing is that I’ll release an album and tell the one friend who actually does care about it, and the first thing they ask is, “Oh cool. is it on Spotify?”

Then there’s the friend who insists on buying it on CD, because she wants a physical artifact to collect.
Have you ever thought about using distrokid? It’s $20 a year and you can upload unlimited albums, singles, etc. It get you on Spotify and all the other streaming services.

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
bambamoozle
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: John Kloberdanz, Gizmo Blacksmith, Levittdown, Cloverdance, Rod The Bunman
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by bambamoozle »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:32 am
bambamoozle wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:29 pm

Yes, that's one of the reasons I love SongFight. I can spam the same set of friends with my songs over and over that DON'T care about the fact that I'm making music. Or I can spam a supportive group of online friends with my music with my songs over and over and actually get people to listen and give me feedback, even if my song is garbage! And bonus, some of them write good songs too and it becomes a reciprocal relationship!
TRUTH!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

SweeneyToad wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:07 am
fluffy wrote:

Have you ever thought about using distrokid? It’s $20 a year and you can upload unlimited albums, singles, etc. It get you on Spotify and all the other streaming services.
I am well aware of distrokid yes, my issue is more that Spotify doesn't pay for shit
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by SweeneyToad »

fluffy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:52 am
SweeneyToad wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:07 am
fluffy wrote:

I am well aware of distrokid yes, my issue is more that Spotify doesn't pay for shit
Understandable, I think of Spotify as more of a promotional tool because your songs can get added to playlists and new listeners may discover you. I just recently had a song I made in July added to a playlist and I got like 30 new listeners, mostly from Germany, with a couple from Japan and India. It’s stuff like that that I think is kind of neat about Spotify.

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com